PDA

View Full Version : UCLA Tennis: BFans Provided the Motivation

oakley
05-26-05, 01:29 AM
M. tennis: Tennis avenges painful losses

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/images/2005/5/25/1sp.m.tennis.picA.jpg
Philipp Gruendler and the menís tennis team capitalized on chances for revenge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

By David Regan
DAILY BRUIN SENIOR STAFF
dregan@media.ucla.edu

When the UCLA men's tennis team looked at the bracket prior to the beginning of the NCAA Tournament, there was one particular thing that stood out Ė the incredible chance for revenge.

The Bruins knew that if everything went according to plan, they would have a unique opportunity to avenge three of their last four losses, including the most hurtful: a 4-0 loss to Baylor in last season's NCAA championship match.

UCLA executed the plan to perfection, and with Tuesday's 4-3 victory over Baylor in the NCAA final, the ultimate revenge was complete.

"We were talking about it all season," said sophomore Philipp Gruendler, whose win at No. 6 singles gave the Bruins a chance to complete their comeback from 3-1 down. "We had three season losses and were talking about all the revenge we could get.

"We got the final revenge in the final. How could it be better?"

Frankly, it couldn't.

UCLA's last four losses, dating back to the end of last season, had come against Cal, USC, Virginia and Baylor.

After defeating USC in the final match of the regular season, the national champion Bruins (27-3) defeated Cal in the second round, second-seeded Virginia in the quarterfinals, and top-seeded Baylor (33-1) in the title match, snapping the Bears' 57-game winning streak.

"Throughout the season, we were looking at the silver trophy for second-place finishers last year," senior Kris Kwinta said. "It was just making everybody sick, and it made everybody work harder toward the championship."

Before the tournament began, UCLA coach Billy Martin talked about the psychological advantage a team usually has when it is attempting to avenge a loss, particularly in a tournament situation.

Martin was especially pleased to see his team's draw, and now there is little wonder why.

"It's just amazing to get revenge for all the matches you lost," Gruendler said. "Those losses, they make you tough.

"It was perfect. It was a perfect season."

DOUBLES DEBACLE: Much like last season's NCAA Championship, the Bruins were absolutely destroyed in doubles Tuesday, allowing Baylor to race out to a quick 1-0 advantage with victories at No. 2 and No. 3.

"If it was possible to do a worse job in doubles than we did against them last year, I think we did that," Martin said.

The Bruin coach said he expressed his extreme disappointment with his players' intensity as he addressed them during the break between doubles and singles.

Whatever was said, it must have worked.

"Last year when we lost the doubles against Baylor, I was kind of down," Kwinta said. "This year I was pissed off. I didn't care. I wanted to go to the courts as soon as possible and start fighting with the guy.

"I was pissed off with myself, my teammates, that we let up in the doubles."

Senior Alberto Francis received some extra motivation from a Baylor fan as he was leaving the court after losing the doubles point.

"He said, 'You guys still suck, just like last year,'" Francis said. "And that really pissed me off. That kind of just lit a fire."

NCAA SINGLES TOURNEY: Sophomore Ben Kohlloeffel is the only Bruin competing in the NCAA Singles Tournament after senior Luben Pampoulov withdrew.

Kohlloeffel, a 9-16 seed, defeated Tim Eklund of South Carolina, 6-4, 6-4, in yesterday's first round.

He faces Virginia's Rylan Rizza in the Round of 32 today.

ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM: Kohlloeffel (No. 2), Francis (No. 5) and Gruendler (No. 6) were all named to the All-Tournament Team.

The doubles team of Francis and Kwinta was named to the All-Tournament Team at the No. 1 doubles position.

Baylor's Benedikt Dorsch was named Most Outstanding Player for the second consecutive season.

TELEVISION COVERAGE: The NCAA Championship will be replayed on channel ESPN2 on May 31 at 12 p.m. PST.

Hambone420
05-26-05, 01:35 AM
Statman?

WarriorBear
05-26-05, 07:03 AM
Whoever that fan is...he is the OPPOSITE of what a Baylor fan/person has always been. I can't believe it! Sounds like a Teasip...or even an Aggie...but not a BAYLOR fan. Sickening. I still believe the UCLA team was 'ready enough' without that fan's comment, but it sure doesn't help my feelings to learn of that situation. Sad.

whitetrash
05-26-05, 07:07 AM
Judging from that article, the favorite word of the UCLA tennis team is "piss".

Tryon
05-26-05, 07:38 AM
Maybe once Baylor fans get used to being winners we'll act like it....

BEARWIZZ
05-26-05, 09:22 AM
Whoever that fan is...he is the OPPOSITE of what a Baylor fan/person has always been. I can't believe it! Sounds like a Teasip...or even an Aggie...but not a BAYLOR fan. Sickening. I still believe the UCLA team was 'ready enough' without that fan's comment, but it sure doesn't help my feelings to learn of that situation. Sad.

Please tell me you are not serious . :confused:

oakley
05-26-05, 12:03 PM
The fans sitting next to me WERE aggy - they were friendly but loud. How could a chair ump penalize a player for something a fan is doing?

Did anyone else (who was there) see the penalty point given to Lars because the ucla player was acting crude and arguing with the ump? That part of the match was loud where I was and I couldn't tell what was going on...

namechange
05-26-05, 12:53 PM
It wasn't for arguing with the ump - it was for a third call that was overruled by the chair ump and the 2nd in that GAME! It happened on match point on Lars' serve and he hit a winner on the line and Kwinta tried calling it out (he had already been overruled by the chair ump - after an appeal from Poerschke - twice in the match, once in that game - a 2nd serve Ace. So, instead of putting it back to deuce, it made it Advantage Poerschke in the game, which he closed out to make it 5-4.

Let me also say that if there was a fan that said that, it was one fan, b/c I don't see how they couldn't be impressed with our crowd who gave a standing ovation at the end of such a tough match...we were a very classy crowd that appreciated the great tennis that had just been displayed.

El Oso
05-26-05, 01:25 PM
How could a chair ump penalize a player for something a fan is doing?

There is usually such a rule in every rulebook I have ever read.

True Grit
05-26-05, 01:53 PM
Ummm...

so all we had to do to get Becker going was tell him he sucked?!

GGBaylor01
05-27-05, 10:46 AM
Statman?

Funny Hammy, I was going to say Stats or Yogi maybe.

Sic'Em