PDA

View Full Version : Danica Patrick

El Oso
05-29-05, 07:13 AM
can she do it?

who's gonna be flippin channels during commercials to find out?

biggmatt24
05-29-05, 01:06 PM
I have it on in the background, because FSN West is showing the Baylor game on delay at 1pm Pacific. The *******s.

El Oso
05-29-05, 01:08 PM
at least you get it today--I doont get it till tomorrow because the Brewers and Astros are playing

biggmatt24
05-29-05, 02:20 PM
Looks like she came up the third loser.

CammoTX
05-29-05, 02:22 PM
I like her, but I think it was rediculous for the announcer to compare her to Sally Ride and Amelia Earhart (sp.).

biggmatt24
05-29-05, 02:28 PM
How about with 12 laps to go when he said "write down the date and time. You'll always remember where you were the day a woman won the Indianapolis 500." That's some good announcing there...

Jack Bauer
05-29-05, 02:43 PM
How about with 12 laps to go when he said "write down the date and time. You'll always remember where you were the day a woman won the Indianapolis 500." That's some good announcing there...

That's like when Jim Nantz was virtually going down on his college buddy, Fred Couples, that he was almost assured to win the 1998 Masters. Then Mark O'Meara nails the winning putt and Nantz had to eat all of his words...

nein51
05-29-05, 06:56 PM
It was a great race, I have pictures if anyone is interested.

Hornfan
05-29-05, 10:42 PM
It was a great race, I have pictures if anyone is interested.

Only if you've got some of Danica naked....

Hambone420
05-30-05, 12:33 AM
I'd hit it.

biggmatt24
05-30-05, 12:46 AM
Yessir

Media Bear
05-30-05, 01:05 AM
Ditto.

RoyalBlue
05-30-05, 05:39 PM
Driving Indy Cars..Unlike Lyn St. James and Sarah Fisher before her, Danica's got game!

Never see her in Nascar though..all 5'1 and 100 lbs of her trying to drive a 3400 lb. Nextel Cup car? Never happen.

She'll be racing the boys again in two weeks out at Texas Motor Speedway. I imagine that performance yesterday sold some more tickets to that race.

CammoTX
05-30-05, 05:42 PM
Oh, and she's hot.

nein51
05-31-05, 08:06 AM
She'll be racing the boys again in two weeks out at Texas Motor Speedway. I imagine that performance yesterday sold some more tickets to that race.
I will be at TMS as well. I have tickets to 5 more of the races, for some of them I will need someone to go with me. If anyone is interested let me know. For the Texas race, I dont have anything, sorry.

Oh, and here is Danica. No, that is NOT me, it is one of my associates kids.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61344

billytheskink
05-31-05, 09:48 AM
Driving Indy Cars..Unlike Lyn St. James and Sarah Fisher before her, Danica's got game!

Never see her in Nascar though..all 5'1 and 100 lbs of her trying to drive a 3400 lb. Nextel Cup car? Never happen.

Also, unlike Lyn St. James, Sarah Fisher, and Janet Guthrie (who folks seem to forget in all this hype, she was the first), Danica has a good enough car and team to win. Any car with a Honda/Illmor can win in the IRL. Danica has the talent and experience to become the second woman to win a rear-engined open-wheel race in the USA.

It's unlikely she'd ever wind up in NASCAR, but if Anthony Lazzaro can drive a stock car, so can she.

nein51
05-31-05, 10:04 AM
Billy, I agree. Maybe the most overlooked thing about her is that she is really fast. She still makes rookie mistakes (3 on Sunday) but she can drive the car. I like Sarah Fisher but a guy of comparable talent would never have seen the inside of an Indy car. Danica, on the other hand, is capable of winning. Bobby Rahal has been tremendous in developing her as a driver. You would be hard pressed to find someone more focused and driven as well.

Perhaps what I like most is that there are some of the guys that HATE her and she doesnt care one bit. One day the guys will get it, there are very few people who give a crap about Indy racing (not the Indy 500 but the series) and if she continues to do well, they might actually sell out races. On the flip side, it was not cool for some of the first questions to the winner to be about another driver.

billytheskink
05-31-05, 10:18 AM
I have to disagree about Fisher. Plenty of no talent men (Special Ed Carpenter, Dr. Jack Miller, Johnny Unser, etc.)have had rides in the IRL and Fisher is far from the worst to have seen seat time in the series.

Danica is obviously more talented than Fisher and St. James (I never saw Guthrie) and I agree, her actual talent has been overlooked by most of the fans and media folks. She'll do well.

She can certainly help the popularity of the IRL, but they will have plenty of problems that she can't fix, notably their engine formula in 2007. Ugly, poor-sounding cars and the NASCAR juggernaut will probably keep the IRL from selling out many races.

nein51
05-31-05, 12:05 PM
Fisher has more talent that some on track right now, no argument there (can you say anyone named Foyt?) but she doesnt have what they DID have (money). She was given the ride because it made good promotion sense. I dont think she ever lead a lap though her car was never that good.

I never saw Guthrie either so I cannot comment.

IRLs problem is that they dont run road coarses (though they will this year). I have heard rumors from the inside that the next Penske cars might be outfitted with Porsche power plants. They have just struck an agreement for the Penske ALMS cars so it is not that far fetched.

I love Motorsports so I even see the value in NASCAR. This year I will be at 4 CART events, 4 IRL events, 2 NASCAR events, 2 F1 events, and I dont even count the MC events. So if anyone gets out to the events I would be happy to meet up, maybe I can even run you through the hospitality suites.

billytheskink
05-31-05, 12:25 PM
Agreed on Fisher. She should have stayed with Walker and honed her skills in Atlantics (if that rumor was true).
Her career stats, which I believe are correct:http://www.formulaone.free-online.co.uk/irl/index.html - not bad, but nothing special.

And Foyt, that idiot cost Bruno Junquiera a chance to win the Vanderbilt Cup, he made me particularly angry on Sunday.

I don't think the lack of road course events is the IRL's problem, though it can't hurt their current attendance woes to run them. I've heard the Porshe rumor, but I doubt it at the present. Porsche will wait until the 2007 formula is chosen, I would think. I'm hoping that the 2007 engine formula will serve as a bridge for unification, but I'm not expecting too much.

I envy you, I wish I could go to that many races. I only have the opportunity to go to NASCAR and the IRL at Texas this year (I turned down the offer for IRL tickets, not a fan). If I may ask, what ChampCar races are you going to?

gointokashmir
05-31-05, 12:32 PM
To hell with stats, where are the hot pics?

biggmatt24
05-31-05, 12:53 PM
Good to see gointo hasn't lost sight of what's important.

Here are some pics:
http://www.danicaracing.com/images/photos/03-montreal-shades.jpg
http://www.danicaracing.com/images/photos/danica-sparco.jpg
http://www.danicaracing.com/images/photos/04-portland-trophy.jpg

biggmatt24
05-31-05, 12:57 PM
A few more for gointo:
http://indymotorspeedway.com/05pics/danica109.jpg

http://indymotorspeedway.com/05pics/danica110.jpg

http://indymotorspeedway.com/05pics/danica206.jpg

nein51
05-31-05, 02:05 PM
And Foyt, that idiot cost Bruno Junquiera a chance to win the Vanderbilt Cup, he made me particularly angry on Sunday.
Neither AJ nor Larry have any business being near a track. They are liabilities to other drivers. AJIV caused Danica's wreck in the first race by slowing on track to a GD crawl after passing the main wreck. He spends more time in the wall than on track!

I don't think the lack of road course events is the IRL's problem, though it can't hurt their current attendance woes to run them.
The CART split is the main downfall but the road coarses would at least involve the group of American race fans that watch that kind of motorsport. IRL does not attract the NASCAR crowd or the F1 crowd so they are kind of stuck in limbo.

I've heard the Porshe rumor, but I doubt it at the present. Porsche will wait until the 2007 formula is chosen, I would think. I'm hoping that the 2007 engine formula will serve as a bridge for unification, but I'm not expecting too much.
I am hearing it from very reliable people for the 07-08 series. Lets say that my people are not TV analysts but insiders (it is sort of my business).

I envy you, I wish I could go to that many races. I only have the opportunity to go to NASCAR and the IRL at Texas this year (I turned down the offer for IRL tickets, not a fan). If I may ask, what ChampCar races are you going to?
Went to Long Beach, going to Milwaukee, Toronto, and Denver. I might hit Montreal and Vegas if I can fit them in my schedule and they dont conflict with the larger series.

gointokashmir
05-31-05, 02:31 PM
A few more for gointo:

http://indymotorspeedway.com/05pics/danica110.jpg

http://indymotorspeedway.com/05pics/danica206.jpg
Wow, she makes my driveshaft feel special.
Nice hustle BigMatt.

Yogi
05-31-05, 02:46 PM
Wow! A car model who actually knows what a carburetor is!!!!

BaylorLine
05-31-05, 03:59 PM
She just doesn't do it for me. Really not hot at all.

billytheskink
05-31-05, 04:38 PM
Neither AJ nor Larry have any business being near a track. They are liabilities to other drivers. AJIV caused Danica's wreck in the first race by slowing on track to a GD crawl after passing the main wreck. He spends more time in the wall than on track!
AJ IV has been a hack with a famous name even when racing karts (I saw his recklessness even then, nearly ran my buddy off the track several years ago). He ought to pay for the back surgury that Bruno Junquiera had earlier today. It's a shame Bruno could be gone for the season, he was leading the points in ChampCar

The CART split is the main downfall but the road coarses would at least involve the group of American race fans that watch that kind of motorsport. IRL does not attract the NASCAR crowd or the F1 crowd so they are kind of stuck in limbo.
It will be difficult for the IRL to attract road racing fans in the US. Many are still die-hard ChampCar fans and still have not forgiven Mr. George for his role in the split (I could fall under this categorey). They need to build a new chassis that is designed to race effectively on the road courses before they start adding them left and right. The cars they have are a bit clumsy for most road circuits, I think.

I am hearing it from very reliable people for the 07-08 series. Lets say that my people are not TV analysts but insiders (it is sort of my business).
Well, I know nothing, so I'll take your word on it, though I'd rather see unification through a common spec used by both IRL and ChampCar in 2007. Porsche has had plenty of time to purge their ill will from that March fiasco in the early 90's, it would be good to have them involved in the sport again, though it would be better if there was one strong series.

Went to Long Beach, going to Milwaukee, Toronto, and Denver. I might hit Montreal and Vegas if I can fit them in my schedule and they dont conflict with the larger series.
Have fun, I'd love to go to all those tracks (and then some). Someday, maybe. I'm looking forward to watching Milwaukee this weekend, it will be interesting to see who Junquiera's replacement is. I've heard rumors about Buddy Lazier and Memo Gidley, among others.

Bear_Esq
05-31-05, 05:32 PM
Her face looks like a Schnauzer (much like Sandra Bullock). And her body ainít all that. She is a little tubby in my view.

RoyalBlue
05-31-05, 05:34 PM
I will be at TMS as well. I have tickets to 5 more of the races, for some of them I will need someone to go with me. If anyone is interested let me know. For the Texas race, I dont have anything, sorry.

This year, for financial reasons, I sold my entire TMS season ticket package to a friend, so I won't have access to my S/F line seats. But I still got tickets for the race in two weeks and still made the Cup race. Haven't missed an IRL race at Texas,ever. May be going to Kansas City Cup race later in the year.

I love Motorsports so I even see the value in NASCAR. This year I will be at 4 CART events, 4 IRL events, 2 NASCAR events, 2 F1 events, and I dont even count the MC events. So if anyone gets out to the events I would be happy to meet up, maybe I can even run you through the hospitality suites.

I'll take you up on that. I've been trying to get into the hospitality tents for years at the TMS events but never any luck. I just wonder how you get connections..

gointokashmir
05-31-05, 05:49 PM
Her face looks like a Schnauzer (much like Sandra Bullock). And her body ainít all that. She is a little tubby in my view.
No, she is not a classic beauty, at all. But, she is a female indy-racer, which gives her extra points:). Also, I'm sure you would turn her down in a heartbeat, right?:)

nein51
05-31-05, 09:09 PM
Royal Blue, I work for one of the main sponsors (namely the one that makes the tires). My dog had puppies this evening so I am not sure I am going to make Texas, if I can make it without my wife filing for divorce I will be there.

91Bear
05-31-05, 10:02 PM
A few more for gointo:

:lick:

http://img39.exs.cx/img39/5291/hit_it_i_would_go_klingon_o.jpg

RoyalBlue
05-31-05, 10:14 PM
Looking SO hot in black.. :lick:

http://www.indycar.com/news/2005/indy/images/dpatrick-300-05312005.jpg

billytheskink
06-01-05, 07:17 AM
She's a good driver, but what significant history did she make (or did Sport's Illustrated think she made)?

El Oso
06-01-05, 07:30 AM
She was the first woman to ever lead a lap

I believe she ended up leading 10-15 of them (it might be higher)

billytheskink
06-01-05, 07:41 AM
True, though she ought to get the attention when she does more groundbreaking things, which she will.

The cover of SI for finishing fourth is a bit much, but maybe I'm just tired of the hype and dissapointed with the results of her mistake with 2 laps to go, which led to my favorite driver wrecking.

I wonder what Janet Guthrie thinks of all this...

Jack Bauer
06-01-05, 07:50 AM

Don't worry Bear_Esq, she wouldn't give you the time of day!
(a little tubby....give me a break!)

Is she on my top 5 list...not at all. Would I jump her bones...in a second!

Friscobear
06-01-05, 08:48 AM
Nein,

Which F1 races are you going to? Indy?

I went to the US F1 race a couple of years ago when it was held later in the year. Now that they moved it to June, it falls right in the middle of my family vacation.

I've been following F1 since the mid 80's. Since the death of Ayrton Senna, I haven't really latched onto another team or driver to pull for. He was the man.

This year I was hoping to see BAR do better. I like to see Honda powerplants do well.

I've also been to several IRL races here in Texas, and have a Greg Ray signed piston from his championship season.

Yogi
06-01-05, 10:29 AM
If Danica is that good of a driver, then she just made the male racecar driver obselete.

In horse racing, the owners find the lightest person possible to guide the horses around the track.

In auto racing, we normally sit 200 pound men in the front seats of racecars. Well, if someone who weighs 100 pounds can drive just as well, why would you take on the weight differential?

Damn it - just when I had given up my dream of ever being a trophy husband... ;)

nein51
06-01-05, 10:37 AM
Frisco, USGP and Montreal. I love F-1 as well.

Yogi, the "average" IRL driver is about 5'3"-5'7" and weighs about 130-150 lbs tops. They dont "normally" sit 200 pound men in the cars at all. Gordon, Paul Tracy, and Nigel Mansel are the exception not the rule. Tracy used to be a lot lighter. For instance, I was talking to Tony Kanaan on Friday and when I was done my buddy said, geez, I never thought he would be so small. That is normally what people say when they meet the drivers.

billytheskink
06-01-05, 11:50 AM
Nein is correct, 200 lb. drivers are very rare (Chris Kniefel and Eric Bachelart come to mind, Kniefel was 6'6").

Nevertheless, Danica is 35 pounds lighter than the 2nd lightest IRL regular (Ryan Briscoe) and the series does not require the car and driver together meet the minimum weight, which is something many series do require these days. It does give her a small bit of an advantage, especially in fuel economy. The IRL says it has no plans to change it's policy.

REvansBU71
06-01-05, 02:51 PM
To hell with stats, where are the hot pics?

Thank you.

NightFox
06-08-05, 03:01 PM
she led 24 laps btw. def. got the crowd on their feet during the race too, it was like watching the wave as she went around the track after taking the lead and people jumped outta their seats with fists pumped in the air. cool stuff.