PDA

View Full Version : Worst songs of the 70's

91Bear
07-09-05, 11:23 PM
I think the seventies probably had the worst songs of any decade in the past 50 years. There were some great tunes, but also some really, really bad ones. In no particular order:

"Having My Baby - Paul Anka
"Seasons In the Sun" - Terry Jacks
"Once You Understand" - Think (#1 worst ever. This song SUCKS!)
"Afternoon Delight" - Starland Vocal Band
"Feelings" - Morris Albert
"Playground In My Mind (My Name Is Michael)" - Clint Holmes
"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" - BJ Thomas (Overplayed and what does it have to do with Butch Cassidy?)
"Muskrat Love" - Captain & Tennille (with apologies to Willis A. Ramsey)
"My Ding-A-Ling" - Chuck Berry (His ONLY #1 song. How sad.)
"D.O.A." - Bloodrock
"The Night Chicago Died" - Paper Lace
"Brother Louie" - Stories
"The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia" - Vicki Lawrence
"Alone Again, Naturally" - Gilbert O' Sullivan (Maudlin and depressing)
"Billy, Don't Be A Hero" - Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods
"Send In the Clowns" - Judy Collins (Shouldn't songs about the circus be happy?)
"You Light Up My Life" - Debby Boone
"Heartbeat, It's a Lovebeat" - DiFranco Family
"At Seventeen" - Janis Ian (Stop your whining!)
"Timothy" - The Buoys (Hilarious, though. Written by Rupert Holmes of "Pina Colada Song" fame.)
"Never Been to Me" - Charlene (She's a tramp!)
"The Winner Takes It All" - ABBA
"Born to Be Alive" - Patrick Hernandez
"Thank God I'm A Country Boy" - John Denver (Thank God no more John Denver songs!)

Care to add to my list?

REvansBU71
07-09-05, 11:33 PM
Ok, the song about leaving the cake out in the rain has to be up there somewhere, and are you sure about Ding-a-Ling being the sole #1 for C. Berry? What about his brother, Marvin?

91Bear
07-09-05, 11:34 PM
Richard Harris released "MacArthur Park" in 1968 (#2), although Donna Summer had a disco remake in 1978 that actually hit #1.

Yes, Chuck never hit #1 until "My Ding-A-Ling". Nearly ruined his legacy.

Grace Anne
07-10-05, 08:32 AM
You mentioned the "The Pina Colada" song in reference to "Timothy", but it has to be included on this list as well. I never could figure out why those two weren't furious with each other when they found out what had happened! What a dumb song.

91Bear
07-10-05, 09:54 AM
Yeah, but it's at least funny with a catchy melody.

I forgot "Convoy" by C.W. McCall and "Disco Duck" by Rick Dees. Two more real stinkers.

Grace Anne
07-10-05, 10:36 AM
I thought of another.....
"Chick - A - Boom" by Daddy Dewdrop

KODIAK
07-10-05, 10:39 AM
"Year of the Cat" I cant remember the name of the artist. Al something. But what does that song mean anyway????

"Dreamweaver" Okay I am confused about this song and who did it. Was it the guy who was the lead singer to Foreigner?? I cant remember his name right now for some reason either. I had heard in the late 80s it was. Anyway he went solo in the mid 80s and had some hits like "Midnight Blue" in 87. The 80s is really when I came to age so that is my genre I suppose.

BTW wasnt "Never Been to Me" actually from the early 80s? Still was stupid though.

BUGWBBear
07-10-05, 12:42 PM
Anything by Journey is the ultimate worst of anyone out there to date.

Self Made Bear
07-10-05, 12:43 PM
"Year of the Cat" I cant remember the name of the artist. Al something. But what does that song mean anyway????

"Dreamweaver" Okay I am confused about this song and who did it. Was it the guy who was the lead singer to Foreigner?? I cant remember his name right now for some reason either. I had heard in the late 80s it was. Anyway he went solo in the mid 80s and had some hits like "Midnight Blue" in 87. The 80s is really when I came to age so that is my genre I suppose.

BTW wasnt "Never Been to Me" actually from the early 80s? Still was stupid though.

Al Stewart did Year of the Cat, Lou Graham was lead singer of Foreigner and he did not do Dreamweaver, but don't know who did.

I'm going to go with "Aint Gonna Bump No More with No Big Fat Woman" (or whatever the real title was) as the worst song of the 70's.

BearChick
07-10-05, 12:47 PM
You mentioned the "The Pina Colada" song in reference to "Timothy", but it has to be included on this list as well. I never could figure out why those two weren't furious with each other when they found out what had happened! What a dumb song.

Gracie, this is why we're friends. I read that list and before I got to the 5th song on there, I thought "Why isn't the Pina Colada Song on the list????" I HATE the Pina Colada Song.

It's a song about a guy trying to cheat on his wife/girlfriend who is trying to cheat on him. AAUGH!

Bankerbear
07-10-05, 12:48 PM
Me and You and a Dog Named Boo

91Bear
07-10-05, 01:03 PM
Al Stewart did Year of the Cat, Lou Graham was lead singer of Foreigner and he did not do Dreamweaver, but don't know who did.

I'm going to go with "Aint Gonna Bump No More with No Big Fat Woman" (or whatever the real title was) as the worst song of the 70's.

Lou Gramm (not Graham) was the lead singer of Foreigner. Gary Wright sang "Dream Weaver" and also "Love Is Alive". The connection to Foreigner is that Wright was the lead singer of the band Spooky Tooth and Mick Jones was the lead guitarist before he joined Foreigner.

"Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman)" was by Joe Tex, I believe.

91Bear
07-10-05, 01:04 PM
Anything by Journey is the ultimate worst of anyone out there to date.

They had some songs in the 70's, "Lights", "Wheel In the Sky", etc - but they were more of an 80's band.

91Bear
07-10-05, 01:10 PM

Well, kinda. It was recorded and released in 1977 and only got to #97 on the charts. Five years later, it started getting airplay on a Florida radio station and was rereleased. It originally included a spoken part about abortion which was removed on the second release in '82!

robby44
07-10-05, 01:32 PM

Self Made did you ever do the bump with a big fat woman? :) If you had you would have loved that song, it was sung by Joe Tex.

Faulkner's Bear
07-10-05, 04:38 PM
"Dreamweaver" No... no... no.

"Dreamweaver" is on the sountrack of my life. For good or ill. Double date at the Joy Drive in on Old Dallas Rd., in a Chevy Vega, 1975. We turned the sound down on the movie and put this in the eight track and steamed up the windows.

caseman
07-10-05, 04:47 PM
How about the one that goes:

we had it all, just like Bogey and Bacall, starring in our own late show, sailing away to key largo

BearChick
07-10-05, 04:56 PM
Here's Lookin' at You, Kid, Case.

I'll add that "We drank a toast to innocence" song. Man, that's bad.

Self Made Bear
07-10-05, 05:01 PM
Self Made did you ever do the bump with a big fat woman? :) If you had you would have loved that song, it was sung by Joe Tex.

I actually did. The trauma from that event has left me emotionally scarred and unable to listen to that song without curling up in the fetal position on the floor.

prissybritches
07-10-05, 05:23 PM
Was the Carpenter's "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft..." from the 60s or 70s? Either way, it's infamously HORRIBLE.

rusty
07-10-05, 05:54 PM
Can't forget about "I am, I said" by Neil Diamond!

rusty
07-10-05, 06:20 PM
And I almost forgot "I Write the Songs" by Barry Manilow.

AmarilloBear
07-10-05, 06:32 PM

Gary Wright sang Dream Weaver.

Grace Anne
07-10-05, 08:25 PM
Here's Lookin' at You, Kid, Case.

I'll add that "We drank a toast to innocence" song. Man, that's bad.

"Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg. I've got to hate any song that starts out in a grocery store. I'm with you on that one, too, BC.

BUGWBBear
07-10-05, 08:34 PM
They had some songs in the 70's, "Lights", "Wheel In the Sky", etc - but they were more of an 80's band.

They still blow major chunks. Even right now on tour.

midgett
07-10-05, 08:42 PM
I Am Woman
Anything by Captain and Tennille

I was young but I always got a kick out of Billy Don't Be A Hero. Still do. I agree it's a bad song but I can still like it.

91Bear
07-10-05, 09:56 PM
How about the one that goes:

we had it all, just like Bogey and Bacall, starring in our own late show, sailing away to key largo

That would be "Key Largo" by Bertie Higgins.

And, yes, "I Am Woman" absolutely sucks.

I have to disagree with "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg. I met a former girlfriend in a grocery store.

And, funny, I almost listed "I Am... I Said". :lol:

whitetrash
07-10-05, 10:09 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned:

**Shannon by Henry Gross (why the h*ll would anyone write a song about your dog drowning in the ocean?)
**Eres Tu by Mocedades (why sing in Spanish if it's not conjunto?)
**My Melody of Love by Bobby Vinton (why sing in Polish for any reason whatsoever?)
**Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas
**One Tin Soldier by Coven (theme song from Billy Jack)
Let Her In by John Travolta (never let bad TV actors sing)
**Don't Give Up on Us Baby by David Soul (see above)
**My Eyes Adored You by Frankie Valli
**Chevy Van by Sammy Johns
**Torn Between Two Lovers by Mary McGregor
**Lonely Boy by Andrew Gold (all about a toddler PO'd because his mom gave birth to a baby sister)
Telephone Man by Meri Wilson (hey-lolly-lolly get it anyway you can...)
"Delta Dawn", "Leave Me Alone Ruby Red Dress" and especially "You and Me Against the World" by Helen Reddy

I think the seventies probably had the worst songs of any decade in the past 50 years. There were some great tunes, but also some really, really bad ones. In no particular order:

"Having My Baby - Paul Anka
**"Seasons In the Sun" - Terry Jacks
"Once You Understand" - Think (#1 worst ever. This song SUCKS!)
**"Afternoon Delight" - Starland Vocal Band
**"Feelings" - Morris Albert
**"Playground In My Mind (My Name Is Michael)" - Clint Holmes
"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" - BJ Thomas (Overplayed and what does it have to do with Butch Cassidy?)
"Muskrat Love" - Captain & Tennille (with apologies to Willis A. Ramsey)
"My Ding-A-Ling" - Chuck Berry (His ONLY #1 song. How sad.)
"D.O.A." - Bloodrock
**"The Night Chicago Died" - Paper Lace
**"Brother Louie" - Stories
**"The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia" - Vicki Lawrence
**"Alone Again, Naturally" - Gilbert O' Sullivan (Maudlin and depressing)
**"Billy, Don't Be A Hero" - Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods
"Send In the Clowns" - Judy Collins (Shouldn't songs about the circus be happy?)
"You Light Up My Life" - Debby Boone
**"Heartbeat, It's a Lovebeat" - DiFranco Family
"At Seventeen" - Janis Ian (Stop your whining!)
"Timothy" - The Buoys (Hilarious, though. Written by Rupert Holmes of "Pina Colada Song" fame.)
"Never Been to Me" - Charlene (She's a tramp!)
**"The Winner Takes It All" - ABBA
"Born to Be Alive" - Patrick Hernandez
"Thank God I'm A Country Boy" - John Denver (Thank God no more John Denver songs!)

Care to add to my list?

As a collector of bad 70s pop, I have on my hard drive all of the ones marked above with **, along with the following others mentioned in this thread:

Dream Weaver
Ain't Gonna Bump No More
Year of the Cat
Pina Colada Song
Chick-a-Boom
Convoy
Disco Duck
Billy Don't be a Hero
I am Woman

(Rhino Records' "Have a Nice Decade" 7-cd set provides a lot of this tripe)

Other comments:

Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head was 1969 and written by Burt Bacharach.
Send in the Clowns was written by Stephen Sondheim and was from the Broadway musical "A Little Night Music".
Dan Fogelberg's "Another Auld Lang Syne" was 1981, and Bertie Higgins' "Key Largo" was 1980.

NewsBruin
07-10-05, 10:13 PM
Kung-Fu Fighting does not deserve to be on that list.

Grace Anne
07-10-05, 10:34 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned:

**Shannon by Henry Gross (why the h*ll would anyone write a song about your dog drowning in the ocean?)
**Eres Tu by Mocedades (why sing in Spanish if it's not conjunto?)
**My Melody of Love by Bobby Vinton (why sing in Polish for any reason whatsoever?)
**Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas
**One Tin Soldier by Coven (theme song from Billy Jack)
Let Her In by John Travolta (never let bad TV actors sing)
**Don't Give Up on Us Baby by David Soul (see above)
**My Eyes Adored You by Frankie Valli
**Chevy Van by Sammy Johns
**Torn Between Two Lovers by Mary McGregor
**Lonely Boy by Andrew Gold (all about a toddler PO'd because his mom gave birth to a baby sister)
Telephone Man by Meri Wilson (hey-lolly-lolly get it anyway you can...)
"Delta Dawn", "Leave Me Alone Ruby Red Dress" and especially "You and Me Against the World" by Helen Reddy

As a collector of bad 70s pop, I have on my hard drive all of the ones marked above with **, along with the following others mentioned in this thread:

Dream Weaver
Ain't Gonna Bump No More
Year of the Cat
Pina Colada Song
Chick-a-Boom
Convoy
Disco Duck
Billy Don't be a Hero
I am Woman

(Rhino Records' "Have a Nice Decade" 7-cd set provides a lot of this tripe)

Other comments:

Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head was 1969 and written by Burt Bacharach.
Send in the Clowns was written by Stephen Sondheim and was from the Broadway musical "A Little Night Music".
Dan Fogelberg's "Another Auld Lang Syne" was 1981, and Bertie Higgins' "Key Largo" was 1980.

Impressive list, whitetrash. I am amazed at our knowledge of truly terrible seventies songs. I think.... http://www.baylorfans.com/ubb/lol.gif

bubbadog
07-11-05, 06:47 PM
Listen to Torn Between Two Lovers three times in a row, and the only remaining argument will be which pop-chart abortion is vying for second place.

midgett
07-11-05, 10:54 PM
Billy Jack!!! That should be on the worst movies list. As young kids, a bunch of us went to it to see the karate. Karate was hot in the early 70's (witness the TV show "Kung Fu"). It may have been R rated 'cause I think I remember seeing a boob.

The fight scenes were far and few between. The pacifist dialogue went on and on and on and on. Heck, every being that young I knew I had been taken for 50 or 75 non-inflation-adjusted cents.

Bankerbear
07-12-05, 08:05 PM
Whitetrash -
you really disappointed me ---- "The Telephone Man" is true greatness- I loved her laugh/giggle! And then you mention "One Tin Soldier" and then Midgett has to tell everyone that it is one of the worst movies ever---------- and I was so happy to add it to my DVD collection a year or two ago! Maybe you guys are just to young to appreciate some things!

No one has mentioned "the morning after" by Maurine McGovern (I think) ----- that song makes me ill!

whitetrash
07-12-05, 10:02 PM
I forgot to add the competing triumvirates of bad 70's songs between Cher and Rod Stewart. Who had the worst stinkers?

Cher:

Gypsies Tramps & Thieves
Half-Breed
Dark Lady

Rod Stewart:

Every Picture Tells a Story
First Cut is the Deepest
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy

Rod may be redeemed somewhat by Hot Legs, though. Cher has nothing redeeming in her solo career.

midgett
07-12-05, 11:34 PM
Whitetrash -
you really disappointed me ---- "The Telephone Man" is true greatness- I loved her laugh/giggle! And then you mention "One Tin Soldier" and then Midgett has to tell everyone that it is one of the worst movies ever---------- and I was so happy to add it to my DVD collection a year or two ago! Maybe you guys are just to young to appreciate some things!

No one has mentioned "the morning after" by Maurine McGovern (I think) ----- that song makes me ill!

Bankerbear, my beef is with the movie not the song. Man, there sure were a lot of bad songs in the 70's. Shamefully, I know the words to too many of them. I was always a disco man myself.

Faulkner's Bear
07-13-05, 06:12 AM
I forgot to add the competing triumvirates of bad 70's songs between Cher and Rod Stewart. Who had the worst stinkers?

Cher:

Gypsies Tramps & Thieves
Half-Breed
Dark Lady

Rod Stewart:

First Cut is the Deepest
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy

Rod may be redeemed somewhat by Hot Legs, though. Cher has nothing redeeming in her solo career.You included "every picture" by mistake, I'm sure.

bubbadog
07-13-05, 12:33 PM
Excellent point, and here's something scary. I read they're doing a remake of The Poseidon Adventure (which is where The Morning After was first used). The white girl in the Black Eyed Peas is singing it in the remake.

Faulkner, you are right. Every Picture Tells a Story is a classic, though you can have the whole Rod Stewart oeuvre after about 1974.

KODIAK
07-13-05, 01:45 PM
Compared to others I have seen, like Kung Fu Fighting, may be I was a little to hard of "DreamWeaver". Probably one of the most hypnotic songs ever recorded. It is like a soft rock lullaby.

CorsicanaBear
07-13-05, 02:37 PM
Add to the List

Monster Mash

Knock Three Times

Watching Scotty Grow

Put Your Hand in the Hand

Brand New Key

By the way, while the Carpenters did a cover of "Calling Occupants" it originated with a Canadian group called Klaatu from their album "Hope". It was just as smarmy when Klaatu did it, but it fit the theme of the ablum.

91Bear
07-14-05, 06:20 AM

Rod Stewart:

First Cut is the Deepest
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy

Please! Rod has had much worse songs than the first two:

Tonight's The Night
You're In My Heart
Lovetouch (80's)

I think Sheryl Crow's version of "First Cut" is better, but it's still a great tune.

StatMan
07-14-05, 04:19 PM
This is quite a list of terrible songs from the 70s. That's why I usually stick to 80s music! ;)

Bankerbear
07-14-05, 05:31 PM
Can anyone think of anything good by Tony Orlando and Dawn?

I can't

rusty
07-14-05, 05:46 PM

I can't

Tony's hairdo was pretty cool, though.

91Bear
07-14-05, 09:03 PM
Tie A Yellow Ribbon (Round the Old Oak Tree)
Knock Three Times
Candida

All losers...

Grace Anne
07-15-05, 07:39 AM
I thought of an incredibly bad song from the 70's....
Dead Skunk (in the Middle of the Road).

Unfortunately, I will now have to bash my head against a wall repeatedly in an attempt to get that song out of my mind! Awful!

91Bear
07-15-05, 05:51 PM
Loudon Wainwright, who also wrote a song about his son called "Rufus Is A Tit Man".

Rufus Wainwright grew up and became a singer/songwriter. He is most definitely NOT a tit man now. He's gay.

Faulkner's Bear
07-15-05, 09:45 PM
Loudon Wainwright, who also wrote a song about his son called "Rufus Is A Tit Man".

Rufus Wainwright grew up and became a singer/songwriter. He is most definitely NOT a tit man now. He's gay.Rufus is not just gay, Rufus is uber-gay.

Shelby's Friend
07-16-05, 09:11 AM

I can't

Well, not songwise, but Telma Hopkins, one of the 2 delightful ladies that made up "Dawn" was on the show "Bosum Buddies" - one of my all-time favorite silliness shows, which also gave us the delightful Donna Dixon and multi-award winning Tom Hanks, who, in turn, played Forrest Gump. Now "Forrest Gump" had some pretty good music in it, so Tony Orlando can't be all that bad after all.

Chili Mac
07-16-05, 01:43 PM
How could anyone omit?

"You Light Up my Life" by Debbie Boone

"Feelings" by Morriss Albert

"Band of Gold" by Frieda Payne