PDA

View Full Version : Great news for Rangers fans...

bear2be2
12-26-05, 04:41 PM
Millwood is a Ranger as soon as he passes a physical. The contract is a four year deal with an option for a fifth, but the amount is unknown at this moment.

Daniels just earned his money today. The Rangers have struck out in free agency for years now and this move may be one that helps them there in the future.

bear2be2
12-26-05, 04:44 PM
With a rotation of Millwood, Eaton, Padilla, Lowe and Dominguez and with the off-season improvements to the bullpen, the Rangers pitching should be a huge upgrade over past years, and they could make some real noise in the AL West.

LordByron
12-26-05, 04:52 PM
Somebody tell me where the Rangers payroll stands with respect to the rest of baseball. We are the fifth largest market. Do we spend more on salaries other than the markets larger than us?

bear2be2
12-26-05, 05:05 PM
I highly doubt it. The budget has been pretty tight since Hicks took over.

Hambone420
12-26-05, 05:21 PM
Rangers > Astros?

bear2be2
12-26-05, 05:31 PM
Rangers > Astros?

It's hard to say.

Even without Clemens, the Astros have a slightly better rotation. Even though the Rangers bullpen has improved, there are a lot of question marks, so the Astros win there too. The Rangers have a much better lineup, but this has been the case for years. I'd also take the Rangers defense over the Astros. The Astros have proven they have better management, although Showalter as manager and Daniels at GM have been much better than their predecessors.

I do think the Rangers have much more to be excited about, though. Durning the off-season, the Astros did little to help their weaknesses while the Rangers adressed every one of theirs.

Reservoir Dog
12-26-05, 05:38 PM
where did you hear this, i've been looking for it. Not saying I doubt you, just trying to find it.

Reservoir Dog
12-26-05, 05:39 PM
nm, they just put it up on espn page

Camo08
12-26-05, 06:03 PM
where did you hear this, i've been looking for it. Not saying I doubt you, just trying to find it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/122705dnsporanglede.17ba6656.html

Rangers agree to terms with Millwood

06:01 PM CST on Monday, December 26, 2005
By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

The Rangers have an ace for their 2006 rotation.

Sources familiar with the negotiations said the Rangers have agreed to terms with free agent starter Kevin Millwood. The deal is four seasons, at around $11-12 million per season, with a vesting option for a fifth based on Millwood hitting certain criteria.

Millwood, who turned 31 on Saturday, is expected to be in Arlington Tuesday for a physical.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels could not be reached for comment.

Millwood would be the third pitcher Daniels has added to the starting rotation this offseason, joining Adam Eaton and Vicente Padilla.

Millwood led the American League in ERA (2.86) last season, going 9-11 with the Indians. He visited Arlington early last week and reports in Boston said he also talked with the Red Sox about a possible contract.

2006 RANGERS' PROJECTED STARTING ROTATION
Pitcher ('05 team) Pos. W-L ERA Comment
Kevin Millwood (CLE) RHP 9-11 2.86 Led AL in ERA in 2005
Adam Eaton (SD) RHP 11-5 4.27 Gifted, but so far an underachiever
Vicente Padilla (PHI) RHP 9-12 4.71 Looking to bounce back from elbow problems
Kameron Loe (TEX) RHP 9-6 3.42 Made only eight starts last year
Juan Dominguez (TEX) RHP 4-6 4.22 Gets first shot, but job not guaranteed

MisterFresh
12-26-05, 06:40 PM
From an objective standpoint, I like the addition for the Rangers. He is light years ahead of Padilla and Eaton in my opinion. I'd like to add another starter still if I am in the Rangers front office. Counting on two young guys is always dangerous.

$12 million a year sounds a bit high to me, but it is really only a 4 year deal as the Rangers can void the 5th year if Millwood is a bust (if he doesn't reach certain IP requirements). I think I would rather have A.J. Burnett, but when you are the Rangers (and pitchers aren't lining up to pitch in The Ballpark) you take what you can get.

Nevertheless, a huge upgrade.

CNC
12-26-05, 07:12 PM
Story here - 4 years, 48 Mil.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2271734

MisterFresh
12-26-05, 08:42 PM
Yeah, unless Milwood reaches a certain number of innings. Then the Rangers' option for a fifth year is automatically exercised.

ausbear
12-26-05, 09:13 PM
This is terrific news. I can finally rest easy tonight. Much like many of you, I've been waiting for the Rangers to sign a legit #1 for a long time...

SMack
12-26-05, 09:28 PM
The biggest problem is that to sign Millwood, you have to deal with the Baseball AntiChrist. He's already purchased Hicks' soul (for Chan Ho Park, no less!), now it looks like he got Daniels' soul. John Hart didn't have one to begin with.

Ghostrider
12-26-05, 09:44 PM
With a rotation of Millwood, Eaton, Padilla, Lowe and Dominguez and with the off-season improvements to the bullpen, the Rangers pitching should be a huge upgrade over past years, and they could make some real noise in the AL West.
You mean Loe?

zebbie
12-26-05, 10:06 PM
Are PayRod and Chan Ho "Out of the" Park still on the payroll?

Aray
12-26-05, 10:39 PM
Wow the Rangers actually signed a pitcher that is worth a damn

BearAzFan
12-27-05, 12:27 AM
Are PayRod and Chan Ho "Out of the" Park still on the payroll?

It's still my opinion that the Rangers' best option would have been to exchange that guy's contract for naming rights to the stadium. Then, they would have had a lower payroll, and he would have a higher profile, as the Rangers would be playing in "Chan Ho Park."

CTbruin
12-27-05, 08:36 AM
This tells me that Vince Young is going pro....Hicks couldn't afford to pay both.

bahamabear
12-27-05, 08:57 AM
watch Millwood get rocked this year, mark it down.

caseman
12-27-05, 09:10 AM
Millwood had the best era in the AL last year (in Jacobs Field, no less) Do you know something that Rangers fans don't know, bahama?

bahamabear
12-27-05, 11:04 AM
Millwood had the best era in the AL last year (in Jacobs Field, no less) Do you know something that Rangers fans don't know, bahama?

yes, i know that his era last year was an anomoly and had something to do with playing for a contract. watch him implode this year, my good Pirate buddy Case.

bear2be2
12-27-05, 12:48 PM
You mean Loe?

Yes

caseman
12-27-05, 12:51 PM
I know I am violating Bill Simmons' rules of fandom, but I like the Rangers as much as the Pirates. Don't know what I will do when they meet each other in the WS. I kind of got turned off of the Rangers after their last playoff run when Hicks hired Hart instead of Fuson (or keeping Melvin) but this new dude seems to look like he knows what he is doing. Millwood will at least have several quality starts. He has a backdoor slider and sinkerball that he used for his SO pitch in Atl. His WHIP was near 1 last year...he will be solid like Rogers was last year. Eaton and Padilla are wildcards. If they both have better than average years, and Loe/Dominguez/Volquez at least show up, the Rangers have the offense and bullpen to win the West and potential to win the AL.

bahamabear
12-27-05, 01:50 PM
Hey Case,

I love your undying homerisms, and IF the crap that the Astros threw out there last year could win a pennant, heck, the Rangers sure can too. I didn't get to see much of Millwood last year, but saw plenty of him the previous couple. I think he will revert back to his old ways now that he has 48 mil over the next 4 in the bank. Hope i'm wrong, I too am a double fan of the Astros first, then Rangers.

caseman
12-27-05, 05:49 PM
I am a proud homer of Pirates, Rangers, Stars, FC Dallas, Liverpool, BCeltics and of course the Mavs. But nothing like baseball season. I am basically counting down the days while mildly giving a damn about the Cowboys and another 60 win ho hum Mavs season.

Rangers have me more excited now than they did in spring training 1998, when they REALLY should have advanced to the WS with their badass bullpen and decent starting rotation and Senor Octubre (OG-Juan Gonzalez). I predict a 90 win season for Texas this year. Whether that will win the AL West or beat out NY, Bos or Cle for the wild card, we will have to see...

bubears06
12-28-05, 02:22 AM
Millwood is a Ranger as soon as he passes a physical. The contract is a four year deal with an option for a fifth, but the amount is unknown at this moment.

Daniels just earned his money today. The Rangers have struck out in free agency for years now and this move may be one that helps them there in the future.
How does this make the new GM look like he knows what he's doing?

He traded Chris Young and a prospect for Adam Eaton, but suddenly he overpays for a pitcher that had one good contract year, and he knows what he's doing? I understand being optimistic because if Millwood pitches like he did last year he'll be a major improvement for the Rangers, but it still remains to be seen if this GM knows what he's doing. It's not like it took a lot of work to get a guy to bite at a $48M 4-year contract. I'm willing to bet it was his highest offer.

GMs make their names with the trades they pull off, and the Eaton for Young deal was stupid. I guess he's earned his money by being the highest bidder for a pitcher that has had two good years in the last six, both when playing for a contract.

Let's not forget that Millwood is 31 and this contract could last until he's 36. I guess his 2004 season with Philadelphia (when he wasn't pitching for a contract) is forgotten. He did have a 4.85 ERA.

In his past 6 seasons, he's had an ERA under 4.00 twice. In 2002 with Atlanta (contract year) and in 2005 with Cleveland (contract year). I know I'm going to be accused of being a homer, but I'd be pissed if the Astros threw this kind of money at a guy like this. Oh and I guess Clemens, Pettitte, Oswalt, Lidge, Backe, Ensberg, Biggio and Berkman are all the "crap" that won the pennant for Houston, but I'm sure the Rangers wouldn't turn down any of that crap.

Bear98
12-28-05, 02:12 PM
It must suck when all the teams you cheer for are pathetic. Houston is a combined 12 - 29 right now between the Texans and Rockets. Oh, and how is that Astro offseason going?

EASportsBear
12-28-05, 03:30 PM
I hated the trade for Adam Eaton. Hated it.

BUT I'll forgive him that gaff if he can sign Clemens. Eaton would be alright as the third pitcher, behind Millwood and Clemens.

Dean/Sharpton04
12-28-05, 04:02 PM
How long do Danks and Diamond have to pays their dues in the minors?

Are they not supposed to be two of the top prospects in the minors?

Seattle puts an 18 year old kid out there......we wait five years and see great talent get squandered.

EASportsBear
12-28-05, 09:22 PM
Last I heard Danks and Diamond were going to be brought out in 2007, maybe as late as 2008. Seems weird for them to be waiting so long when pitching has been so bad in Arlington.

psi style
12-28-05, 09:53 PM

Seattle puts an 18 year old kid out there......we wait five years and see great talent get squandered.

danks and diamond haven't exactly been tearing it up at AA, if they put together a really good run at AA and then at AAA, you can expect to see them up here quick.

bear2be2
12-29-05, 02:15 AM
How does this make the new GM look like he knows what he's doing?

He traded Chris Young and a prospect for Adam Eaton, but suddenly he overpays for a pitcher that had one good contract year, and he knows what he's doing? I understand being optimistic because if Millwood pitches like he did last year he'll be a major improvement for the Rangers, but it still remains to be seen if this GM knows what he's doing. It's not like it took a lot of work to get a guy to bite at a $48M 4-year contract. I'm willing to bet it was his highest offer.

GMs make their names with the trades they pull off, and the Eaton for Young deal was stupid. I guess he's earned his money by being the highest bidder for a pitcher that has had two good years in the last six, both when playing for a contract.

Let's not forget that Millwood is 31 and this contract could last until he's 36. I guess his 2004 season with Philadelphia (when he wasn't pitching for a contract) is forgotten. He did have a 4.85 ERA.

In his past 6 seasons, he's had an ERA under 4.00 twice. In 2002 with Atlanta (contract year) and in 2005 with Cleveland (contract year). I know I'm going to be accused of being a homer, but I'd be pissed if the Astros threw this kind of money at a guy like this. Oh and I guess Clemens, Pettitte, Oswalt, Lidge, Backe, Ensberg, Biggio and Berkman are all the "crap" that won the pennant for Houston, but I'm sure the Rangers wouldn't turn down any of that crap.

The Chris Young for Eaton trade can't be judged until after this season. On the surface, I don't like it, but the fact of the matter is, Young has had one season of good but inconsistent pitching and has had his season shut down early two years in a row because of arm fatigue. There is no telling how he or Eaton will do this season, but scouts seem to believe Eaton will pan out. As a side note, I don't mind losing AGon or Sledge at all because they were never going to play here and netted the Rangers a catching prospect and a good set up guy.

As for Millwood, he's a good pitcher and whether you want to admit it or not, he was the best pitcher on the market at the time when the Rangers signed him. He may not be an ace or a 20-game-winner, but he is an improvement over what the Rangers had before which was what the Rangers needed. Unfortunately, you have to overpay to get good pitching, so I don't care what the Rangers paid for him. They usually can't get FA pitching even by overpaying, so this is improvement.

Lastly, who said anything about the Astros' players you mentioned? I couldn't care less about what the Astros do or what happens in the National League to be honest (I'll watch it and enjoy, but I don't care at all who goes to the playoffs). How you manage to turn everything into a Houston Vs. Dallas debate is beyond me.

bear2be2
12-29-05, 02:31 AM
Also...Millwood's stats look remarkably similar to Andy Pettitte's prior to his signing with the 'Stros. Only major difference is Pettitte has more wins with poorer ERAs thanks to playing for the Yankees during their best years of the last two decades.

CLBear
12-29-05, 09:32 AM
It must suck when all the teams you cheer for are pathetic. Houston is a combined 12 - 29 right now between the Texans and Rockets. Oh, and how is that Astro offseason going?

You mean the offseason in which the Astros made the World Series in the previous season? Feels pretty nice I guess.

Bear98
12-29-05, 10:29 AM
What does the World Series have to do with the offseason? That was 2 months ago. It looks like Drayton is thinking the same way you are as the Stros have done nothing to improve their team. Most Astro fans I know feel the same way.

BEARable
12-29-05, 01:53 PM
The Chris Young for Eaton trade can't be judged until after this season. On the surface, I don't like it, but the fact of the matter is, Young has had one season of good but inconsistent pitching and has had his season shut down early two years in a row because of arm fatigue.

b2b2, would you please explain the bolded comment above? As far as I can recall, he never missed a start and I don't remember any public comments about Young suffering from arm fatigue.

PhiChi56
12-29-05, 02:22 PM

They may be two of OUR top prospects in the minors, but they are probably not two of the top prospects in all of the minors unless you consider top 50 the actual "top". Felix Hernandez, however, was basically as much of a sure thing as you can hope for, and was a consensus top five prospect in all of the minors prior to the season. People have been raving about him for a long time, wondering when Seattle would bite the bullet and bring him up. Looks like everyone wanting him to get his chance were right. He is light-years ahead of anybody we (the Rangers) have, and if we did have him, I guarantee you he would have been up this season. Since the others (DVD) don't have that "can't-miss" potential, they have to develop in the minors just like every other prospect. I'd say the Rangers have ruined more prospects by bringing them up too early than by leaving them down too long. It started with David Clyde.

BEARable
12-29-05, 03:53 PM
Good comment, Phi. Danks is still only about 20 years old. His dob is 4/15/85, I think.

bear2be2
12-29-05, 06:32 PM
b2b2, would you please explain the bolded comment above? As far as I can recall, he never missed a start and I don't remember any public comments about Young suffering from arm fatigue.

About two years ago, I must have been talking about out of my behind, so I apologize about that. His inability to make it deeper into games was, however, the knock on him when he was in the Montreal system.

In July of last season, Young struggled mightily, making five starts, lasting only 20 and a third innings with a 10.18 ERA. There a lot of talk about him having arm problems then, but he was able to rebound in August. Then in September, he lasted only one inning on Sept. 7 and missed two starts due to arm fatigue. He pitched two more games after this on Sept. 22 and Sept. 28. His arm problems didn't shut his season down last season, but it did cause him to miss a couple of starts late in the year.

While Young did have some longevity problems, I really liked him, and I still don't understand trading a cheaper, younger and possibly better starter for another guy who only has one more year on his contract, but I do think it's only fair to see what both do before we label this a terrible trade. Hopefully both are good for their respective new clubs and the Rangers get Eaton resigned for a reasonable amount.

BEARable
12-30-05, 06:22 AM
Thanks, I will look at Young's stats again. I know the Rangers were throwing a lot of different starters in near the end of the season. I see the one week gap after 9/7, but he made two more five inning appearances after that. I liked to watch him pitch. He was very steady and a pretty slow, methodical worker. Didn't seem to get flustered no matter what was happening in the game. I expected that he would have a great future with the club and am personally sorry to see him go.

As far as longevity problems go, only Rogers pitched more innings. This was a year with a revolving door of starters, though. Young was the only starter to pitch all season long.

bahamabear
12-30-05, 07:19 AM

it must suck for you to be so whiny about Houston vs Dallas in every post. you sound like a typical crybaby. fwiw i like all texas teams with the exception of the spurs. but, i'll even cheer for them over the east teams in the finals.

the astros were in the world series last year. the rockets have two nba titles, the Texans are in their 4th year with terrible coaching and management, but have a good owner that wants to win. they will turn it around, it's not that difficult in todays nfl.

stop your crybabying, you look ridiculous.

Bear98
12-30-05, 08:11 AM
it must suck for you to be so whiny about Houston vs Dallas in every post. you sound like a typical crybaby. fwiw i like all texas teams with the exception of the spurs. but, i'll even cheer for them over the east teams in the finals.

the astros were in the world series last year. the rockets have two nba titles, the Texans are in their 4th year with terrible coaching and management, but have a good owner that wants to win. they will turn it around, it's not that difficult in todays nfl.

stop your crybabying, you look ridiculous.

The fish are biting today!! I thought '06 would be the only catch, but I guess I was wrong.

bahamabear
12-30-05, 08:47 AM
The fish are biting today!! I thought '06 would be the only catch, but I guess I was wrong.

it's just such an old bit. one that's been rehashed by posters on this site forever. find something new, be original. you are a bear for crying out loud.

BEARable
12-30-05, 08:50 AM
I think most of us think that the Dallas vs. Houston thing is silly and not worth our time. There are a lot of Astro fans in the metroplex. We root for the Astros unless they are playing the Rangers. I keep thinking that one day there'll be a MLB team in San Antonio. The more, the merrier if you are a baseball fan.

Bear98
12-30-05, 09:23 AM
it's just such an old bit. one that's been rehashed by posters on this site forever. find something new, be original. you are a bear for crying out loud.

If you have ever noticed '06's line of posting you would understand.

bahamabear
12-30-05, 10:56 AM
If you have ever noticed '06's line of posting you would understand.

i have and his is tired too.

i can understand the rockets/mavs rivalry, they are in the same division/conference. but why can't people root for the Cowboys/Texans and Rangers/Astros. If they ever both get to a series or super bowl at the same time, then let's bring out the rivalry. just seems pointless to me. then again, i don't know jack sh!t anyway.

Bear98
12-30-05, 11:19 AM
He is just fun to get riled up. I actully cheer for the Astros since I live here in town. No hard feelings.