+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can you apply for unemployment if you never had a job?

I graduated from Baylor undergrad in 2004 and have over $160K in school debt. I have been looking for any permanent employment opportunities, but have found none. Currently I am working at Starbucks in Dallas for $8/hour and I am starting to panic. I knew Baylor would not be an automatic job and I know that the economy sucks right now, but I thought I would be somewhat competitive. I was told that Baylor is not that competitive in Dallas because schools like UT and SMU both dominate the market and that I should focus on smaller towns and Houston. Has any recent grads within the last 5 years have similar problems? Also, how do you file for unemployment?

My Mood
    Amused
    In the U.S. typically, to collect unemployment benefits you have to have worked and have been fired or laid-off, and you have to be looking for work and be employable. The amount of your benefit is dependent upon the wage you were receiving while you were working and the length of time you worked. Unless you get fired from Starbucks and no one else will hire you, you will not be eligible for unemployment benefits. To file once you are eligible you would contact your local state unemployment office.

Before you go blaming your BU degree for your lack of employability, what type of degree do you have? What was the major emphasis of your studies?

Starbucks pays $8/hour?

Google "texas unemployment benefits."

Quote Originally Posted by lookdonttouch View Post
    I graduated from Baylor undergrad in 2004 and have over $160K in school debt. I have been looking for any permanent employment opportunities, but have found none. Currently I am working at Starbucks in Dallas for $8/hour and I am starting to panic. I knew Baylor would not be an automatic job and I know that the economy sucks right now, but I thought I would be somewhat competitive. I was told that Baylor is not that competitive in Dallas because schools like UT and SMU both dominate the market and that I should focus on smaller towns and Houston. Has any recent grads within the last 5 years have similar problems? Also, how do you file for unemployment?
    You have to be terminated by Starbucks and have worked for them longer than six months to qualify for unemployment. The unemployment money comes out of Starbucks workforce tax account so your termination will be verified by the Texas Workforce Commission.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Keep making contacts. Get a pro to look at your resume.

yes you can apply....any1 can apply

Troll.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Here's what you do. Go to McDonalds and get on as a fry cook (or Wal-Mart and get on as a checker, or whatever crap job that pays as well as Starbucks). Then, don't suck at it. Within 6 months, you're an assistant manager at McD's or a supervisor at Wal-Mart and you're on your way.

Unless you're a troll, in which case you can go **** yourself.

If you're who you say you are, post your resume here. Something might come from it.

Liberal arts? "Would you like to grande size that?"

Perhaps you could go to grad school and get a degree in a field that is hiring?

I forgot to mention that I also went to Baylor Law as well. I received a BBA and double majored in finance and international business and a minor in German. There are little to no legal jobs available and I am "over-qualified" for the non-legal jobs. I did graduate from Baylor undergrad with a 4.0, but I only graduated top third from Baylor Law and only received cum laude.

I forgot to mention that I also went to Baylor Law as well. I received a BBA and double majored in finance and international business and a minor in German. There are little to no legal jobs available and I am "over-qualified" for the non-legal jobs. I did graduate from Baylor undergrad with a 4.0, but I only graduated top third from Baylor Law and only received cum laude.
    Something does not add up. Are you looking throughout the nation? Or are you just looking in Texas?

Have you looked at hiring a headhunter?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Troll.

I hear Houston Baptist is a fertile ground for administrators with lots of seeming educational experience and no work experience.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Golfer View Post
    You have to be terminated by Starbucks and have worked for them longer than six months to qualify for unemployment. The unemployment money comes out of Starbucks workforce tax account so your termination will be verified by the Texas Workforce Commission.
    Beat me to it, TG. Good work.

Blog Entries
    Doesn't add up. I suspect the poster needs to find a bridge, like other trolls.

Did you work while you got those degrees or were you a professional student

My brother, and most people like him, refuse to hire professional students. He feels they feel entitled because theyve nevr earned anything in their life and they have no experience--especially people skills--he offers to start them in his call center--and they always turn him down--bad choice--thats where he started 6 years ago--now he's the VP--they only confirm his original theory

Get off your high horse and go earn something

I also call BS on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell's Silver Hammer View Post
    Troll.
    What little doubt there was is now erased.

My Mood
    Amused
    It is not your credentials, you must have a victim personality. No one wants to hire victims regardless of their credentials.

Thread Information