My Mood
    Yeehaw

Blackland Airforce Base

It is real. It was in Waco Texas.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    http://www.texasescapes.com/CentralT...Waco-Texas.htm

1940: 55,982 people lived in Waco
    World War II revives the cotton industry and Waco Army Flying School and Blackland Army Air Field (China Spring) were opened.
    1948: Waco Army Air Field was reactivated as Connally Air Force Base
    1952: population was 84,300
    1953: A tornado nearly levels downtown. Hundreds of people were buried in the rubble of buildings whose brick walls were not braced. The loss of nearly 600 downtown buildings is still evident today.
    1966: Connally Air Force Base is closed

My Mood
    Cynical
    lots of teams played military units in the war years. the 1944 Cotton Bowl was tied by a group out of Randolph Field and UT, 7-7.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Did Waco just give up and roll over to die after the tornado? Why didn't Waco build itself back and try to be a vibrant city?

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBearcat View Post
    Why didn't Waco build itself back and try to be a vibrant city?
    A few dominant, controlling families saw to it that this would not happen. They succeeded.

My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by caesarscott View Post
    lots of teams played military units in the war years. the 1944 Cotton Bowl was tied by a group out of Randolph Field and UT, 7-7.
    Actually military bases had football teams and played regular schedules up into the 60s. A lot of the teams had former great pro players on them. These guys would finish out their reserve years by playing for some of these teams. I saw Vito "Babe" Parelli (Kentucky) play as well as Gerge Blanda (who only kicked field goals). There were a lot of ex college players on the team. In fact, most of the players were ex-college players. They had a championship game at the end of their season.
    On Facebook check out Polite Political Discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sic Em Bears View Post
    http://www.texasescapes.com/CentralT...Waco-Texas.htm

1940: 55,982 people lived in Waco
    World War II revives the cotton industry and Waco Army Flying School and Blackland Army Air Field (China Spring) were opened.
    1948: Waco Army Air Field was reactivated as Connally Air Force Base
    1952: population was 84,300
    1953: A tornado nearly levels downtown. Hundreds of people were buried in the rubble of buildings whose brick walls were not braced. The loss of nearly 600 downtown buildings is still evident today.
    1966: Connally Air Force Base is closed
    Connally has nothing to do with Blackland AAF for those of you interested in the historical link of tonight's win with the win in 1942. Connally was named such in 1945 in honor of a pilot who was shot down in Japan during WW2. Connally Air Force Base, now the site of TSTC, was not the site of Blackland AAF.

Blackland AAF was located on the site of what is now Waco Municipal Airport. There were many military stations opened around the US during WW2 so it shouldn't be surprising to know there were two air fields located in the Waco area. Technically there were three as their was a third air station located in MacGregor. Waco Air Field, which became connally, was a command post for flight instruction. Connally had the longer life span thus it was around with the advent of jet technology and had a longer air strip. This is why President Bush would fly in and out of TSTC instead of Waco Regional because Waco regional, which once was Blackland AAF, did not have a long enough air strip for Air Force 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Sic 'Em View Post
    Connally has nothing to do with Blackland AAF for those of you interested in the historical link of tonight's win with the win in 1942. Connally was named such in 1945 in honor of a pilot who was shot down in Japan during WW2. Connally Air Force Base, now the site of TSTC, was not the site of Blackland AAF.

Blackland AAF was located on the site of what is now Waco Municipal Airport. There were many military stations opened around the US during WW2 so it shouldn't be surprising to know there were two air fields located in the Waco area. Technically there were three as their was a third air station located in MacGregor. Waco Air Field, which became connally, was a command post for flight instruction. Connally had the longer life span thus it was around with the advent of jet technology and had a longer air strip. This is why President Bush would fly in and out of TSTC instead of Waco Regional because Waco regional, which once was Blackland AAF, did not have a long enough air strip for Air Force 1.
    Very much more accurate. I remember stories on Blackland from when I grew up there. I am pretty sure there were German POW's kept there too. Also, in the early 60's, pretty sure the ROTC wooden buildings on Baylor's campus came from Blackland AFB. I am writing this from memory and rumor, but seems true.

Noone ever mentions that in addition to JCAFB, the 12th AF Hdqrts were in Waco.

My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBearcat View Post
    Did Waco just give up and roll over to die after the tornado? Why didn't Waco build itself back and try to be a vibrant city?

Military base closures have the knack of doing that to towns..

Why no mention of Rich Field? Was that earlier?

Closure of the bases had nothing to do with the failure to reconstruct downtown Waco after the tornado.

Quote Originally Posted by jonatbaylor View Post
    Military base closures have the knack of doing that to towns..
    The base closed 13 years after the tornado. The town never rebuilt because of the leaders of the city at the time. Waco had a very tight knit group of civic leaders who were opposed to too much growth for fear it would weaken their power. Unfortunately, they eventually died and they held their city, once known as the Athens of Texas, back from both growing and rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by caesarscott View Post
    My dear old dad was a proud army air mechanic based out of Bergstrom Field here in Austin in 1943. He was a 165 lb center on a team that took UT deep in to the fourth quarter before dropping a 13-7 decision. He was very proud of that. So am I. Love you, Pops.

Quote Originally Posted by Sic Em Bears View Post
    It is real. It was in Waco Texas.
    My Dad was stationed at Blackland and I was the first baby and I believe the only baby born in their hospital as they didn't have facilities for dependents. I was about 13 when the Blackland guy had a reunion in Kansas City. They gave me a copy of the next days newspaper showing my picture and saying I was born at Blackland Medical Facility. Also have a nice book from 1945, like a year book, showing the base and all the guys pictures.

My granddad played at Baylor, and when he was called to duty for WWII, he played (both football and basketball) at some air force base in Illinois. He swears to me he guarded George Mikan on the basketball court.

My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Sic 'Em View Post

Not only length but the weight capacity of the runway, taxiways, and parking ramp. That is one big reason why you have entities like L3 and such at TSTC field doing military aircraft modifications
    BearForce
    Sic'em

My Mood
    Amused

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DS Bear View Post
    My dear old dad was a proud army air mechanic based out of Bergstrom Field here in Austin in 1943. He was a 165 lb center on a team that took UT deep in to the fourth quarter before dropping a 13-7 decision. He was very proud of that. So am I. Love you, Pops.
    I have nothing but love for aircraft maintainers
    BearForce
    Sic'em

Rich Field was a WWI facility. It was sw of downtown.

Thread Information