+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 147
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    I actually liked Eric Dickerson. Hates Texas with a passion and told David Stanley that I bust your young ass up. At least he has pride in the university and still cares unlike those fools that were bought by Switzer.

    I talked to my cousin today and asked she watched it because she a SMU alum and she works in real estate with Lance Mcilhenny and Sherwood Blount.

    For those that may know the story because I have heard the rumor. Did Ron Meyer hit on Teaff's daughter at a resturant in town and didn't know who she was?
    I believe there is a kernel of truth to the Ron Meyer-Teaff daughter item. I recall hearing something to that effect, but I can't remember exactly how it came about. Not sure if it was in Waco or somewhere else, but it sounds familiar.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by stjawa972 View Post
    I started watching the show 10 min after it started and It still isn't over yet but I have one question so far...

    They had a guy say, "A&M made the down payment on the trans am, we(smu) made the payments."

    How can dickerson and James still say today that nothing went on during the time they were there???
    Probably because they are liars.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,039
    Interesting to note that during SMU's hey day, beginning with the 1979 season (Dickerson and James' first) and continuing through the 1986 season (the last before the death penalty took effect) that Baylor was 3-5 against the Mustangs, including victories in the first two years of the Pony Express. Plus, in 1982, when SMU went undefeated, we came within three points (22-19) of upsetting the Mustangs.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Allen, TX
    Posts
    1,561
    Great documentary, but considering I was in junior high back then it left me with more questions than answers.

    One of the main premises of the program was that SMU was a little private school and not supposed to win or get so many good players (like Scott Drew, crossing lines so to speak). Therefore they were unfairly targeted the NCAA and the media.

    In other words, SMU was ruffling too many feathers and that's why they got the death penalty....however they were just "playing the game" and UT, A&M, etc. were cheating just as bad.

    Robby or any other old timers agree with this argument? If the NCAA would have targeted a UT or an A&M, could they also have gotten the death penalty?

    Please discuss.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Souff Texas
    Posts
    3,348
    Watched it with a mixed group of SEC and Tech people (so obviously I had the highest IQ of the group) and the Tech people were so proud of themselves for not cheating in those days. They were too young to remember anything in those days and then towards the end, there was a newspaper article that flashed across the screen documenting the NCAA fractions against Tech.



    The line in the movie that best summed it up: We can't stop now, we have a payroll to meet.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawfoso View Post
    Great documentary, but considering I was in junior high back then it left me with more questions than answers.

    One of the main premises of the program was that SMU was a little private school and not supposed to win or get so many good players (like Scott Drew, crossing lines so to speak). Therefore they were unfairly targeted the NCAA and the media.

    In other words, SMU was ruffling too many feathers and that's why they got the death penalty....however they were just "playing the game" and UT, A&M, etc. were cheating just as bad.

    Robby or any other old timers agree with this argument? If the NCAA would have targeted a UT or an A&M, could they also have gotten the death penalty?

    Please discuss.
    I wondered if the documentary might come off as confusing to those that didn't live through that area. I don't think he told the story to the uninitiated very well, but it was great for me. I wouldn't be surprised if the documentary fades in its effect and popularity outside of this reason. A lot of bombastic statements by reporters insinuating violations, but less of a detailed timeline discussed. Again, it was great for me, but if you didn't know the story going in, it might be confusing.

    The others would have only received the death penalty (potentially) if they were found to have had repeat violations within the 5 year period at the end. But, yes, they were just as bad. Maybe less organized and not up to the highest levels, but there was plenty of cash being spread around.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Salem
    Posts
    2,105
    Suprised no one commented on the clip of baylors fake punt in 92 against an obviously inferior smu. Ithink a few plays earlier they had speared our return guy w no penalty

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    29,003
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefano DiMera View Post
    Suprised no one commented on the clip of baylors fake punt in 92 against an obviously inferior smu. Ithink a few plays earlier they had speared our return guy w no penalty
    I believe that was the 1989 game in Dallas and yes, I am sure that was payback from Teaff for a dirty play by SMU earlier in the game.

  9. #89
    On the whole I really enjoyed the documentary. I grew up in Dallas in the eighties and it was great to see at lot of the folks that they interviewed. Great seeing some of that old SWC footage, too.

    That said, it really seemed like the filmmaker was setting out to protect some and expose others.

    Five of nine SWC schools were under investigation. Really? Why don't you name the five instead of insinuating that Baylor was one of them (which it wasn't)?

    At the heart of the scandal were SMU's boosters, in particular, the Naughty Nine. Why don't you identify them all (a couple are mentioned)?

    Also, there was no explanation as to how much money was estimated to have been paid out to players at SMU. That would have been helpful to get some context for the scale of the scandal.

    It's somewhat questionable to be relying on James and Dickerson (the namesake of the film) without going into more detail (if possible) about what they actually received. I know those guys have been mum, but if I were making the film I'd say that you only get to tell your side of the story if we learn the whole truth about how much you were paid.


    It was great fun watching the "honorable" Aggys get shown for what they are and were. I'm sure they Aggy boards would be great entertainment right now. It was surprising how UT mostly avoided negative publicity in the documentary.

    Also, seems like the director had it out for USC, too. The montage during the credits is supposed to show the continuation of college football cheaters since the 1980s, but it's about 75% USC and 25% of everybody else. (Not to say that USC didn't deserve the negative pub, but there's hardly the lone offender).

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    24,964
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefano DiMera View Post
    Suprised no one commented on the clip of baylors fake punt in 92 against an obviously inferior smu. Ithink a few plays earlier they had speared our return guy w no penalty
    I'm pretty sure there was a penalty on the play, but, yes, I think it was payback.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    28,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawfoso View Post
    Great documentary, but considering I was in junior high back then it left me with more questions than answers.

    One of the main premises of the program was that SMU was a little private school and not supposed to win or get so many good players (like Scott Drew, crossing lines so to speak). Therefore they were unfairly targeted the NCAA and the media.

    In other words, SMU was ruffling too many feathers and that's why they got the death penalty....however they were just "playing the game" and UT, A&M, etc. were cheating just as bad.

    Robby or any other old timers agree with this argument? If the NCAA would have targeted a UT or an A&M, could they also have gotten the death penalty?

    Please discuss.
    Although they definitely ruffled the big boys' feathers they brought all of that stuff on themselves. True the other guys were cheating but SMU was so out there and the coaches and admins knew about it. With the other schools it was more of a booster / alum deal in which coaches may have not known.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    239
    The director is an SMU alum that jumped at the chance to do the documentary. I thought it was really well done. I wasn't around in that era, but was familiar with the story of the SMU program. I felt like the journalists' contributions were key because they played a big role in making sure that the violations were uncovered and shown to the public. I feel bad for programs that are in a city like Dallas. On the one hand, they have access to a sprawling metroplex and economy, but on the other hand they have a citywide thirst for salacious stories and scandals.

    As far as whether or not a state school like A&M or UT would have been given the death penalty, I would say no, but only with an exception. I could see an A&M or UT getting the death penalty if the cheating were more pervasive than just the football program. Also, if a program consistently lied or avoided complying with the NCAA (the main reason Baylor was spared the death penalty in 2003) then they probably deserved the death penalty after repeated violations.

    However, the reason why this probably won't happen for a big state school anywhere is fleshed out at the beginning of Pony Excess. Big state schools essentially run the sports sections of their local papers. Absent a professional sports franchise the UT's, A&M's, Texas Tech's etc... are local sports. Most journalists would rather not risk their journalistic careers to take down a program ala Dale Hansen in Dallas in the 1980's.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    282
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I grew up with David Stanley. (Somewhere, in a box, I have a 5th grade photo of David with a note to me on the back.) He had a lot of issues that had nothing to do with football. It's really sad. David is died several years ago. It was a big mess, wasn't it? He had so much talent on the field. Such a shame it wasn't enough to save him.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    133
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Maybe it's just me but I thought the fact that they mentioned Baylor on the video at least made us look "competitive". I'm only 24 years old and my only memories of the SWC were of the Aggy - UT games in the early-mid 90's. A lot of my friends think (and rightfully so) since Baylor wasn't very competitive in the 90's (95 and on) and the 2000's that they haven't ever been competitive. Obviously, that's not true and I thought the documentary casted a positive light on Baylor being a very good football program back then. It seems as if Eric Dickerson threw our name in the ring of cheaters because we were a big rival at the time and he hated us. We did WIN the SWC in 1980....

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,656
    My Mood
    Amused
    If more A&M and UT players were willing to talk I am sure they would have been whacked too.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Corsicana, Texas
    Posts
    8,827
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    I could see BU MBB in an episode..starting in early 80's up til this past year...

  17. #97
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    28,300
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronOngena View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I thought the fact that they mentioned Baylor on the video at least made us look "competitive". I'm only 24 years old and my only memories of the SWC were of the Aggy - UT games in the early-mid 90's. A lot of my friends think (and rightfully so) since Baylor wasn't very competitive in the 90's (95 and on) and the 2000's that they haven't ever been competitive. Obviously, that's not true and I thought the documentary casted a positive light on Baylor being a very good football program back then. It seems as if Eric Dickerson threw our name in the ring of cheaters because we were a big rival at the time and he hated us. We did WIN the SWC in 1980....
    Competitive is right. Dude in the 80's those folks hated to line up against us, believe that.

    That's why so many folks have so much love for Teaff. They know what he was up against. We could have won 3 or 4 championship had we joined that cheating party.

    Instead we were riding five and six deep over to practice at Baylor Stadium every day. A lot of my peers didn't even have cars.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,147
    Maybe it's just me but I thought the fact that they mentioned Baylor on the video at least made us look "competitive". I'm only 24 years old and my only memories of the SWC were of the Aggy - UT games in the early-mid 90's. A lot of my friends think (and rightfully so) since Baylor wasn't very competitive in the 90's (95 and on) and the 2000's that they haven't ever been competitive. Obviously, that's not true and I thought the documentary casted a positive light on Baylor being a very good football program back then. It seems as if Eric Dickerson threw our name in the ring of cheaters because we were a big rival at the time and he hated us. We did WIN the SWC in 1980..
    Completely agree.

    I personally liked the fact that they brought Baylor up more then once....because it showed that we were once a program that people respected.

    Some of you are getting your panties in wad over the cheating allegations......but what would be worse?

    not getting mentioned at all because you are completely irrelevant.

  19. #99
    [QUOTE=robby44;3337155]Competitive is right. Dude in the 80's those folks hated to line up against us, believe that.


    I always heard that win or lose, opposing teams said they hurt the worst after playing Baylor. We had guys that could, and would, take the timber to you.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Corsicana, Texas
    Posts
    8,827
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts