+ Reply to Thread

Interesting discussion on the UCONN board regarding us in 2011-2012

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2872&t=7652956

Lots of informed posters there.

my experience with uconn board is that they have a greater proportional balance of well-informed and "fair" fans (and fewer homers) than any other fan bbs that I've read. their core fans know the personnel of other teams; their opinions seem to based on bball knowledge rather than bias.

perhaps that's what comes with the success of their program.

we're getting there.

I agree, their board is actually fun to read, knowledgable, and slightly less biased than The Summit, Texas AGS, or other's ive read.

They have their unrealistic moments on there too, im not one to turn a blind eye on some of those posts.

I truly think people are overating UCONN next year and putting a huge amount of pressure/expectation on Dolson, Lewis, Hartley, Hayes, and Doty to make it to the final four.

I think it will be a year for them to find an identity without super stars like Maya and Charles.

Lewis doesn't look like a game changer and star athlete like Maya or Charles, but i guess we will have to wait and see if she turns into one by her junior year, which is more realistic.

Dolson underperformed during the U19 Team USA games i saw and so did hartley.

They weren't outshining/outscoring the younger less experienced players like E Williams (Duke Commit) or the lanky B Stewart(2012 UConn Commit).

And Can someone on these boards remember that Sims had an amazing first year, she did win National WBCA Freshman of the Year like Griner. Despite all the hype Chiney Ogwumike got above Sims.

I think if Jones comes to Baylor she will win Freshman of the Year over Stewart, Jefferson, and who ever else she has to compete against.

Alexis Jones was more impressive than Hartley at the U19 National Team games.

Dolson's Stat line: http://www.usabasketball.com/womens/...xh_01_box.html

No. N A M E FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
    10 Stewart, Breanna f 5-8 0-0 1-1 2 5 7 0 11 1 2 5 0 25
    12 Tuck, Morgan f 0-3 0-1 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 10
    15 Dolson, Stefanie c 0-3 0-0 0-0 1 1 2 1 0 0 2 0 0 13
    05 Jones, Alexis g 1-5 0-0 1-2 0 1 1 0 3 1 0 0 1 10
    08 Massengale, Ariel g 2-7 0-1 0-0 0 1 1 0 4 2 2 0 4 25
    04 Jefferson, Moriah 0-1 0-0 0-0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 5
    06 Hartley, Bria 0-4 0-0 0-0 1 2 3 0 0 2 1 0 0 15
    07 Burdick, Cierra 1-3 0-0 0-0 1 4 5 0 2 1 0 0 1 11
    09 Simmons, Meighan 0-2 0-1 0-0 0 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 5
    11 Laney, Betnijah 0-1 0-0 0-0 1 0 1 1 0 0 2 0 0 6
    13 Williams, Elizabeth 7-12 0-0 1-2 2 4 6 2 15 2 1 5 1 25
    14 Stafford, Imani 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2
    16 Adams, Jordan 0-4 0-0 1-2 2 1 3 0 1 2 2 0 0 14
    17 DeShields, Diamond 2-7 0-1 0-0 3 2 5 1 4 2 1 1 2 19
    18 Mosqueda-Lewis, Kale 4-7 1-2 0-0 3 2 5 0 9 2 1 0 1 15

The stats look terrible for Dolson and Hartley, i.e. for being the most experienced and oldest players. Id expect them to lead the team in scoring, rebounds, assists... something other tahn running around frantically as Bria did, and just standing around like Dolson did.

UCONN fans really expect them to make up for Mayas points?

I'm sure the coaching staff at UCONN will improve them over the year, but i doubt they can be Maya Moores by the time Big East play comes along, or even our game against them in December.

It will be interesting to see and very fun basketball.
    Last edited by ladybears4eva; 07-08-11 at 02:30 PM. Reason: added another note.

About the game vs. TENN:

I think it will be very close, just as all the previous times we played them, but i think a third scorer in the BU line up will emerge and make the game difficult for TENN fans to watch.

Game vs UCONN:

First of all, i hope to be there for this one and give GENO a standing ovation, as a true basketball legend. Second, I think it will be a close game for the first half, but eventually Griner and Sims will be too much for Hartley and Dolson, et al.

The second half will find seperation in Baylors favor that will eventually put away a young/starless UCONN team.

As for the year, I do forsee a great year for Baylor Basketball in both men and womens sports.

Griner(need i say more, She will be a monster!!!), SIms(defense/points/assists), Washington(defense/points/assists), Williams(rebounds/putbacks), and Pope (defense/rebounds/putbacks) will be awesome.

I'm hoping to see some scoring ability by Madden and Hayden to improve, as well as the charges/offensive fouls to decline with experience and the "arc of no flops".

To be more on the realistic side of the Baylor team, i will comment that if we do not have cohesive team assists, defense, and 3pt making ability, it will be our doom like last year.

We could not make a 3pt to save our lives vs TAMU in E8, or TTU in lubbock.

Doty has hurt her knee again. Geno had hoped she would bring maturity and solidify the gap of Moore's absence. They're loaded with talent, and Dolson was a different, improved player by the end of the season as compared to the rather stiff, awkward freshment we saw in Hartford.

I'll take a maturing Brittney over an improved Dolson any day. Their incoming recruits scare me though, not so much in December as they will in March after Geno kicks some butt all season. They may be overrated in terms of maturity, but I'll still claim them as my second most favorite team to watch.

And the reception for Geno will certainly be deserved. We did fine in welcoming Summit, even given the sweet sixteen travesty of a few years back.

We have very knowledgeable fans who appreciate the game, not just Baylor, so I'm not worried about that.

You know Geno is going to kick their butt in practice, i just wonder how they will react in games where they face adversity without MAYA.

You're right, i will be watching their games whenever i can.

I really miss WCBB right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ladybears4eva View Post
    About the game vs. TENN:

I think it will be very close, just as all the previous times we played them, but i think a third scorer in the BU line up will emerge and make the game difficult for TENN fans to watch.

Game vs UCONN:

First of all, i hope to be there for this one and give GENO a standing ovation, as a true basketball legend. Second, I think it will be a close game for the first half, but eventually Griner and Sims will be too much for Hartley and Dolson, et al.

The second half will find seperation in Baylors favor that will eventually put away a young/starless UCONN team.
    Thanks for showing Geno respect; something the Tennessee Fans refuse to do. I might not like Pat Summit for what she tried to do to Geno and UCONN in regards to the unsubstantiated claims she filed with the NCAA, but I do respect her as a coach, and what she has done for Women's Basketball.

UCONN has a very young team that will be playing Baylor December 18th. I truly hope that its a close game, but I have my doubts. As I stated in another thread, Baylor has the best player in the country in Griner, and should be #1 to start the season. UCONN is a top 10 team, but it will be very difficult for these young posts to contain Brittany. Sims is also a great player that had a super game against UCONN last year.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    its going to be a good year.

It's going to be a great year to be a Baylor fan and I wish you guys the best of luck -- you will be very, very, very hard for anyone to beat. I'm trying to talk my wife into making the trip Dec 18. I would love to experience the excitement of a UConn Baylor game at Baylor. Although I'd probably enjoy it more in the 2013-2014 season! If UConn were to lose by a lot, would Baylor fans buy us sympathy beers after the game? I agree with the poster who said it before me .... I miss women's college basketball right now.

Quote Originally Posted by FairView View Post
    I agree with the poster who said it before me .... I miss women's college basketball right now.
    Be patient. We only have 112 days until our first exhibition. You seem to have about 116 days until you play Franklin Pierce.

is that all? I wish we played somewhere this summer, like Canada Europe or South America?

Itd be nice to hear about the team playing together...scores, stats, box scores, blocks, dunks, steals,....GRINER.

Too bad GRiner wasn't nominated for any ESPYs this year.

Thread Information