+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 622 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 507 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 12440
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,710
    The Eagles just signed Cullen Jenkins. They are going all in on the next 2-3 years with this FA haul.

    Edit: I should have read page 6 before this post.
    Last edited by penland365; 07-30-11 at 03:37 PM.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    25,356
    My Mood
    Inspired
    if vick stays healthy they are going to be tough to beat.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by WAC_K_O BEAR View Post
    if vick stays healthy they are going to be tough to beat.
    Completely agree with this. With all those corners, they might be the only team capable of slowing down Green Bay.

    Green Bay and Philly sit at the top. Outside of New Orleans, I don't see an NFC team capable of getting through both of those to get to the Super Bowl.

    Atlanta, Dallas, Minnesota, Tampa Bay are all good, but I don't think they are good enough.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    38,730
    Quote Originally Posted by WAC_K_O BEAR View Post
    Completely agree on Spears. The Eagles secondary will cover the deficiencies in the D line and LB's. What a collection of talent they are assembling.
    Eagles secondary will cover the D line and LB's? I think not. A good D coordinator will eat them up throwing over the DL. And we have a very good D coordinator. Expect us to eat them up with 7-15 yd passes to RB's and TE's, and draws within the box.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Eagles secondary will cover the D line and LB's? I think not. A good D coordinator will eat them up throwing over the DL. And we have a very good D coordinator. Expect us to eat them up with 7-15 yd passes to RB's and TE's, and draws within the box.
    Maybe. Or alternately they could put a corner over Witten, man up against Dez and Miles Austin, put one safety back, and bring 7 guys. Then what do you do? Screen and hope Felix busts one?

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    25,356
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Eagles secondary will cover the D line and LB's? I think not. A good D coordinator will eat them up throwing over the DL. And we have a very good D coordinator. Expect us to eat them up with 7-15 yd passes to RB's and TE's, and draws within the box.
    we will see Paul.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    38,730
    Quote Originally Posted by penland365 View Post
    Maybe. Or alternately they could put a corner over Witten, man up against Dez and Miles Austin, put one safety back, and bring 7 guys. Then what do you do? Screen and hope Felix busts one?
    That wouldn't work. You'd leave one of the non-existent LB's covering the #3 WR. Ogletree or the rookie. And once they got the ball, there wouldn't be anyone to touch them for 10-15 yards.

  8. #128
    The ESPN radio guys were interviewing a local reporter in Philly about the signing. He was happy about it, but was concerned about salary cap issues related to the rest of the team. He said that the three CBs would make up 1/6 of the salary cap by themselves. He wondered how they could get some of the rest of their positions filled out if they didn't try to deal one of the CBs.

    Note: just repeating. I'm no salary cap expert and am not following that closely

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Niceville, FL
    Posts
    14,378
    My Mood
    Amused
    I don't think they keep Samuel myself...I think he is the means by which they pay DeShaun Jackson
    BearForce
    Sic'em

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    38,730
    The Eagles have A LOT of holes on that team. They are in a situation where they almost have to trade Asante Samuels for LB/DT/OL help.

    And Michael Vick has one year back. Is he as good as his 2010 one year numbers, a 100.2 QB rating, or more like his career rating of 80.2? Also he's a high injury risk due to his style. Vince Young hasn't been viable in a while - and is just as likely to throw a pick as a TD (42 TD's, 42 Ints). Also, he's coming off surgery on his throwing hand - he had a torn tendon in his thumb.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    38,730
    Quote Originally Posted by BearForce View Post
    I don't think they keep Samuel myself...I think he is the means by which they pay DeShaun Jackson
    Good point. He's very unhappy with the 550k he's scheduled to make.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    That wouldn't work. You'd leave one of the non-existent LB's covering the #3 WR. Ogletree or the rookie. And once they got the ball, there wouldn't be anyone to touch them for 10-15 yards.
    Jason Garrett would call that play maybe once a game. That's not his style.

    With a rookie RT ( no matter how good ), and an average ( at best ) interior line, you don't deploy 4 and keep 6 to block 7 unless its 3rd and 2. In the play you described, you've got 3 WR, one TE, and one running back. You deploy 4, Felix takes one blocker, another comes untouched off the edge, forcing Romo to step up. He's got maybe 2.5 seconds before he's sacked, and that assumes all 6 guys engage their blocks perfectly. The LB covering the 3rd WR simply undercuts his expected route taking away the short throw, and the safety cheats over the linebacker in case the completion is made.

    In that play, I'd much rather be Philly than Dallas.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    38,730
    BTW, remember it was the Eagles who were heavily pursuing Doug Free. They wanted him to play RT, Vick's blind side.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    38,730
    The Cowboys have added Grambling running back Frank Warren, the school's all-time leading rusher who gained 1,592 yards last season. But it was more out of necessity. Tashard Choice could miss 2-4 weeks with a strained calf muscle, and DeMarco Murray is on the non-football injury list with a hamstring injury that could keep him out two weeks. Choice and Murray are being counted on to spell starter Felix Jones.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    38,730
    Quote Originally Posted by penland365 View Post
    Jason Garrett would call that play maybe once a game. That's not his style.
    I don't think we've seen enough of a half a year head coach to fully know his own style. And what we did see of him last year was very different and a lot more aggressive then when he was O coordinator.

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    38,730
    Quote Originally Posted by penland365 View Post
    With a rookie RT ( no matter how good ), and an average ( at best ) interior line, you don't deploy 4 and keep 6 to block 7 unless its 3rd and 2. In the play you described, you've got 3 WR, one TE, and one running back. You deploy 4, Felix takes one blocker, another comes untouched off the edge, forcing Romo to step up. He's got maybe 2.5 seconds before he's sacked, and that assumes all 6 guys engage their blocks perfectly. The LB covering the 3rd WR simply undercuts his expected route taking away the short throw, and the safety cheats over the linebacker in case the completion is made. In that play, I'd much rather be Philly than Dallas.
    In that play, I'll stay with Dallas. They can have 2 sacks totaling 10 yards when on the 3rd possession one of my guys breaks for a TD. And that's assuming that the RT is only average. It would be a scenario of give, give and then take big.

  17. #137
    It sucks that the Fecals also nabbed Jenkins, and at a pretty decent price with a one-year out. I'm not sure how Jenkins fits their defense, but these signings spell on thing. The Eagles fear the Cowboys, who have beaten them in four of the last five games.

    Let them take their short-term shot. It will come back and bite them. Let them make the same mistakes that backfired on the Cowboys. I like the Cowboys value approach over committing big money to a few aging players.

    The Fecals will be tough, but I don't think they'll ever get to the big game with Vick at QB.

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    38,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia_del_DougO View Post
    It sucks that the Fecals also nabbed Jenkins, and at a pretty decent price with a one-year out. I'm not sure how Jenkins fits their defense, but these signings spell on thing. The Eagles fear the Cowboys, who have beaten them in four of the last five games.

    Let them take their short-term shot. It will come back and bite them. Let them make the same mistakes that backfired on the Cowboys. I like the Cowboys value approach over committing big money to a few aging players.

    The Fecals will be tough, but I don't think they'll ever get to the big game with Vick at QB.
    I think we're on the same page. I don't get this infatuation on ESPN saying that this trade put the Eagles in the Super Bowl. They already had two great CB's - and several holes elsewhere.

    Eagles have listed Cullen at DT. They brought back re-tread Jason Babin at DE. That may be the most significant signing of the bunch - which much less fanfare. He had 12 1/2 sacks last year.

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    38,730
    I would really like Dallas to find another young QB to bring in and try to develop. This is probably Kitna's last year - and I just don't see McGee as a starter in the NFL. I don't think the Midwestern QB is a long term solution - he'll might be a practice squad guy this year, might even make the 3rd string eventually. Nice arm, great size - we'll see...

  20. #140
    Yeah, that's another big failing of the Cowboys philosophy in recent years. You have to bring in prospects, whether drafted or undrafted, who have upside and potential. No matter your QB situation, a good team should always be looking for QBs with real potential to develop into something. And that's especially true when your current backup is about 40, and the only guy behind him doesn't inspire a lot of confidence about his future in the NFL. Forget the camp arms. Keep combing for talent.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts