+ Reply to Thread
Page 116 of 673 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 114 115 116 117 118 126 166 216 616 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 13455
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    I think he's just got too many hurtz. Always kinda sad when a big ugly that puts it all out there every play gets the axe.
    He didn't seem like the same player before the injury, either. That's what happens when you have to sign free agent linemen in the middle of their careers. After a couple of season they aren't in the middle of their careers any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Despite signing of two guards in free agency, Cowboys will still target Stanford all-american David DeCastro in the draft

Never mind that the Cowboys have signed two guards in free agency _ Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau _ for a combined $30 million, that will not preclude them from targeting Stanford guard David DeCastro with the 14th overall pick in the 2012 Draft.

Livings and Bernadeau got good money but no jobs have been given too them. Berrnadeau is a career backup. Livings started for the last two years in Cincinnati but there is a reason the Bengals made no real push to keep him.

Both however were targeted by the Cowboys for their size and strength. Livings is 6-foot-5, 332 pounds. Bernadeau is 6-4, 308. Both upgrade the depth at the position and will promote a fierce competition in training camp with veteran Kyle Kosier, who could to center or be released, and second-year players David Arkin and Bill Nagy.

But DeCastro is considered a special talent at guard who could be paired with left tackle Tyron Smith for years to come.

It's also telling that a source said the team will make a decision on Kosier's future on the roster after the draft.

Upgrading the interior of the line is important to the Cowboys because of quarterback Tony Romo's slight stature. Pressure up the middle is just as troubling as pressure from the blindside. He needs to be able to step in the pocket and not have his lineman pushed back in his face.

So while the free agent signings weren't sexy, they were part of an overall plan to improve the offensive line which was an offseason priority.

Clarence Hill

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...#storylink=cpy
    After thinking about it longer Livings really has me stumped. He's 30, has some wear and tear, and has only been a starter for a couple of years. He's a marginal starter at best. And they payed him not far off from what Kosier was making. It's not like he's a young guy that they think can take the next step. He's taken his step. If he starts for the Cowboys, they're in trouble. If he backs up, he's well overpayed. Unless he's just an incredible special teams player or something, I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia_del_DougO View Post
    He didn't seem like the same player before the injury, either. That's what happens when you have to sign free agent linemen in the middle of their careers. After a couple of season they aren't in the middle of their careers any longer.
    The worst nagging injuries are groin, hernia and/or plantar faciaitis. Almost impossible to pinpoint all of the first two, and almost impossible to heal the last.

Oglethorp vs. Stanback argument:

I can see hanging onto Stanback a while, because he was a fourth round draft pick and they had some investment in him, and he was a QB convert learning the position, and was slowed by injuries. Still, he never showed much of anything.

Oglecrap looked good in his rookie season, very promising, as an undrafted free agent. But he's regressed ever since. When he was needed he didn't know what to do, even if he could do it. I can't think of any reason for paying that guy to hang around another year other than maybe needing somebody for a human sacrifice.

from Nick Eatman:

CB Brandon Carr (Kansas City) Without a doubt, he's the headliner of this group, for no other reason than his five-year, $50.1 million contract that included a $10 million bonus and more than $25 million in guarantees. Carr will replace Terence Newman, who was released on Tuesday. The four-year veteran comes over from Kansas City where he started all 64 games of his career. There will be tons of pressure on him to perform, but that's the nature of the business, especially at his position. The money was high, but demand was as well.

QB Kyle Orton (Chiefs) While many thought Orton would get a chance to start or even compete for a job somewhere else, he settled for a backup deal with the Cowboys to replace Jon Kitna and back up Tony Romo. Orton's five-year deal will likely be voided down to a three-year, $10.5 million contract with $5 million to sign. Orton is 35-34 in his career as a starting quarterback for the Bears, Broncos and Chiefs.

G Mackenzy Bernadeau (Panthers) Probably as under-the-radar as it gets here in free agency, but Bernadeau has caught the Cowboys' attention over the last four years despite just 20 career starts. His four-year, $11 million contract doesn't lock him down to be a starter, but it's likely he will start out with the first group. The contract is also laced with incentives that could push the entire deal over $14.5 million.

G Nate Livings (Bengals) Almost the same as Bernadeau, but Livings is below the radar with some starts under his belt. Livings has 47 career starts in four seasons in Cincinnati, including all 32 the last two seasons. His five-year, $19.1 million contract with a $6.2 guaranteed suggests he will be a starter. The combination of Livings and Bernadeau might just push Kyle Kosier either out the door, or possibly over the center position.

FB Lawrence Vickers (Texans) There was a reason the Cowboys didn't actively pursue Tony Fiammetta to return. They had their eyes on Vickers, who is one of the NFL's best fullbacks. His two-year, $2.4 million contract is less than what they would've paid for Fiammetta as a restricted free agent.

Brodney Pool (Jets) He played the last two years with the Jets, but his five seasons in Cleveland is where Pool's connection comes into play. Pool has played under Rob Ryan and DB coach Jerome Henderson. It's just a one-year deal, meaning the Cowboys might consider drafting a safety or even playing Barry Church alongside Gerald Sensabaugh. This move seems to be the Cowboys covering the bases in case they don't get a better option.

LB Dan Connor (Panthers) This move signals the probable end for both Keith Brooking and Bradie James with the Cowboys. Connor signed a two-year deal and will likely be the third linebacker in a rotation where all three will be active. Sean Lee and Bruce Carter will likely handle most of the snaps, But Connor can be play in many sub-packages and plays on most special teams units. A college teammate of Lee at Penn State, Connor had 71 tackles last season for the Panthers.

WR Kevin Ogletree (re-signed) The Cowboys at least added some depth at receiver with Ogletree, who didn't receive the $1.32 million restricted free agent tender. Instead, the team gave him a one-year deal worth a little more than the league minimum of $610,000. Ogletree returns as the third- best receiver behind starters Dez Bryant and Miles Austin but the Cowboys seem overly excited about youngsters Andre Holmes and Dwayne Harris. Ogletree at least gives them another experienced receiver during the OTAs and mini-camps this summer.

From Spags:

Chiefs secondary coach Otis Smith is a friend of Cowboys new secondary coach Jerome Henderson. He says Smith has been quite high on his now former corner.

"We knew we wanted to upgrade the secondary, especially the corner positions," Henderson said for this Sunday night's edition of The Blitz (11 p.m. on CBS-11 in DFW), "and when we looked at the free agents available, Brandon Carr just jumped off the film at you, the way he plays, physical, aggressive, down in your face, can run . . . .

"He fits our style of play, the style we want to be."

"We think he is an outstanding cover corner," was head coach Jason Garrett's assessment of Carr. "He excels in press coverage . . . very good press-cover corner. We think he's the right kind of guy, he plays tough, he plays the right way and he does a lot of things we aspire to do on defense, which is play that hard press, physical man-to-man coverage that he has played there throughout his career with Kansas City."

re: TE's available:

Kevin Boss, recently released by the Raiders, Leonard Pope of Kansas City and Denver's Dante Rosario. Dallas Clark of the Colts is available as well, but the team is unlikely to seek a receiving-first tight end on the open market.

Boss signed with the Chiefs.

Kam Wimbley is still out there. I'm a little surprised the Cowboys haven't at least kicked the tires on him to see what they would have to pay him. He would bring a much better pass rush opposite Ware.

Wow, looking for more detail on Wimbley and stumbled on this:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...alysts-031712/

2. What move did you hate the most from day 4?

Ben: Why were the Cowboys in such a hurry to sign Nate Livings? Yes he might have the size the Cowboys like but that’s about it, and he has never consistently performed at anything close to a reasonable level. They have panicked after a tumultuous season at guard and made a bad move that won’t fix those problems.

Khaled: I hate the Livings move, but in the interest of giving a different answer … no, I can’t do it. I hate the Nate Livings move so much I couldn’t possibly go another way. Way overpaid in a good guard market for a guy based on size over production.

Nathan: The cutting of Kamerion Wimbley. I know he was owed a lot of money, but that eliminated basically all of the outside pass rush in Oakland, and he was solid in run defense as well. You would at least like to see Oakland get something out of losing him, but it looks like they won’t until receive anything.

Neil: There’s a few to choose from but it’s the Nate Livings deal that shocked me the most. If there was depth at one position it was guard and yet the Cowboys, with all their resources, somehow managed to select Livings. If they were purely looking for someone to keep Tony Romo upright he’s at least average in that regard but as a run blocker? It seems as if the scouts have done no more than said: “Wow…He’s a big guy, he’ll fit” without realizing run blocking is not his strong suit.

Sam: There weren’t many poor moves yesterday so the one that stands out is Nate Livings to Dallas. Livings is big on size but not so much on playing ability, and I can’t see that he brings much in the way of upgrade to the Cowboys. The money may not have been obscene, but there are better ways to spend it.

This move by Dallas pretty much says that Kozier couldn't come back medically and they're not sure what Arkin and the other guy bring to the table.

There is still enough room to sign Wimbley if they've structured Livings contract well. We had about 10 mil going into that one, Ogletree's contract was about 600k, so we probably have 6-8 mil available.

These two guards look like a downgrade from even a broken down Kosier, and for more money. It makes you wonder what guard they could have singed with their two combined salaries.

They still have to sign Spencer, too. If he signs his tender that would put them over the cap, wouldn't it?

I agree with the analysis that they panicked. The interior line was just putrid last season; I can't say it was the worst in the NFL since I don't watch that many games, but it was by far the worst in the division; the only line I saw that was as bad was Arizona's.

This just adds more fuel to the fire that the window is closing. These are the type of moves you make when you are backsliding off your core talent, and you think you've got 2 or 3 years left before the production starts to drop and you have to find new guys. Indy did this for 5 years and never seriously improved.

I still can't get over the Grubs miss. If your offseason focus is to fix the line, then they should have brought Grubbs in before Nicks signed and made him their top priority. If you had to pass on Carr for a discounted CB, do it. Draft De'Castro, draft a center in the 2nd / 3rd round. Your offensive line for the rest of Romo's prime is then:

Smith / De'Castro / anyone better than Costa / Grubs / Free. Assuming that De'Castro isn't a bust, that's a top 5 offensive line for the next five years.

Damnit Jerry.

Maybe the Cowboys should have signed this guy instead:
    Bengals signed OG Travelle Wharton, formerly of the Panthers, to a three-year, $10 million contract.
    Wharton had also been drawing interest from the Rams. He's the tight-fisted Bengals' first signing of free agency and will likely be the team's starting left guard. Wharton graded out slightly below average in Pro Football Focus' rankings last season before his $7.6 million cap number earned him his walking papers. He could be a slight upgrade on Nate Livings.

My Mood
    Amused
    Maybe the Cowboys should have signed this guy instead:
    Bengals signed OG Travelle Wharton, formerly of the Panthers, to a three-year, $10 million contract.
    Wharton had also been drawing interest from the Rams. He's the tight-fisted Bengals' first signing of free agency and will likely be the team's starting left guard. Wharton graded out slightly below average in Pro Football Focus' rankings last season before his $7.6 million cap number earned him his walking papers. He could be a slight upgrade on Nate Livings.
    I dont know, sounds to me like the difference in pulling a brown turd vs. a green turd out of a bag...yes the green turd is more rare but they're both sh!t.
    BearForce
    Sic'em

David Arkin better blow the hell up this year.

My Mood
    Amused
    Well, Kyle Kosier was a dud in Detroit and raised a lot of eyebrows when Dallas signed him. Turns out Kosier was our best interior lineman for the past 5 years. Maybe coach Callahan knows something we don't?

I sure hope so. But Kosier was seen as a pretty solid guy. These other two guys have everybody scratching their heads.

These two guards look like a downgrade from even a broken down Kosier, and for more money. It makes you wonder what guard they could have singed with their two combined salaries.

They still have to sign Spencer, too. If he signs his tender that would put them over the cap, wouldn't it?
    That was actually always figured as part of the cap from the day its offered.

No visits have been scheduled, but there is mutual interest between the Dallas Cowboys and outside linebacker Erik Walden.

Walden, a sixth-round pick in 2008 by the Cowboys, never made the roster, but he's played for three teams since, including the last two seasons with the Green Bay Packers.

David Rich, Walden's agent, said a few teams have expressed interest.

Last season, Walden had a career-high 41 solo tackles and picked up three sacks, two forced fumbles and knocked down three passes. He started 15 games.

If the Cowboys sign Walden, it would add to the pass rush that struggled at times if DeMarcus Ware or Jay Ratliff was shut down by double-teams.

The Packers also want to bring Walden back

Thread Information