+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pizza?

My Mood
    Lurking

Pizza?

I'm a big fan of the Pizza Hut deep dish/pan pie. I know, they use illegal ingredients not approved by the cancer council of America, but it's tasty. I'm not a fan of "kitchen sink" type pies, I'm a simpleton and like pepperoni and Italian sausage.

Your thoughts on where and what?

Oh, and before the hate starts, I love Poppa Rollos, probably their bread more than the pizza.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Rosati's > *.

Deep dishes pwn all. I usually order sausage and green pepper.

I don't get the Poppa Rollo's hate. It's dusty in there and the service is slow, but I love the Pop's Four Cheese. Absolutely love.

Another favorite: the Margherita from Food for Thought (add feta). Yum.

Overton--strangely enough--has a pretty good pizza place. AJ's Pizza. I like the Tejas pizza (sausage, jalapeños, ranch seasoning, hamburger?, and pepperoni, but I usually leave the pepperoni off) and a spicy chicken pizza (red pepper, jalapeños, chicken, and I forgot what else might be on there) that rule.

I like mostly cheese pizzas, but sometimes sausage and jalapeños are good, too. I also like places that have a pizza where I can get something other than tomato sauce on the pizza. On a non-deep-dish pizza, the tomato sauce is the lamest thing. I got pesto on my pizza the other day at Red Brick? (I think that's the name) by the huge Spec's on Mopac in Austin. It ruled.
    I've got ninety-nine problems, but aggy ain't one.

Deep Dish Pizza is a casserole.

For those of you in the DFW area, Cane Rosso in Deep Ellum and Dough up in North Dallas are both outstanding pies. It's a tough call on which one is better, though I do lean towards the Paulie Gee at Cane Rosso personally.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Can't go back to greatness - learned to eat pizza at Shakey's in Waco. Gosh that goes back years. Now I can't eat it at all.

We have a Brooklyns up here in Garland. They are pretty good.

My Mood
    Lurking
    I wish I knew more about pizza dough. I've gotten on the intertubes a few times to try and learn more but not a lot of success. I worked at a one-off place in a little town in North Carolina and we had great dough, thin and pan. The owner protected the hell out of the recipe and I never did find out what he was using but it was awesome.

Just up the road about 30 miles over in South Boston, VA a guy from Naples, Italy opened up a shop and his calzones were to die for. The cheese, meat sauce for dipping and the pepperoni were just awesome. Who'd have ever thought you'd find authentic Neapolitan pies in the sticks like that? I don't know where he got his ingredients but he was doing it right and I say this as someone who ate a lot of pizza in Naples when I was in the navy.

My Mood
    Amused
    Dancing Bear. Thin crust, almost cracker like. Get pepperoni with japaleno and garlic.

My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    I wish I knew more about pizza dough. I've gotten on the intertubes a few times to try and learn more but not a lot of success. I worked at a one-off place in a little town in North Carolina and we had great dough, thin and pan. The owner protected the hell out of the recipe and I never did find out what he was using but it was awesome.

Just up the road about 30 miles over in South Boston, VA a guy from Naples, Italy opened up a shop and his calzones were to die for. The cheese, meat sauce for dipping and the pepperoni were just awesome. Who'd have ever thought you'd find authentic Neapolitan pies in the sticks like that? I don't know where he got his ingredients but he was doing it right and I say this as someone who ate a lot of pizza in Naples when I was in the navy.
    Is this the place on the road from Chapel Hill to Pinehurst? Little town with a family that has two Italian places.

I've been told by Pizza guys that the key to great crust is the local water, apparently that's why New York pizza is so good.

I went to a Brooklyn Pizza place here in the Houston area and they claim to import water from NY to make their pizza more authentic. Probably BS but the pizza is good.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Ooh. I ate at Star Pizza in Houston uncts. Goat cheese on a deep dish = heaven!

My Mood
    Amused
    pat russo's dugout - upstate new york..

may she rest in peace.

- kkm

Gino's East.
    Locations around Chicagoland. Texans have no idea what deep dish pizza really is.
    http://citybuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/ginos_pizza_chicago-0953.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I've been told by Pizza guys that the key to great crust is the local water, apparently that's why New York pizza is so good.

I went to a Brooklyn Pizza place here in the Houston area and they claim to import water from NY to make their pizza more authentic. Probably BS but the pizza is good.
    It's an excellent piece of folk lore Marlin. But I really don't think it makes a difference personally.
    http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...a-quality.html

I've made some great doughs at home for pies and some bad ones as well. And all of them have used tap water from the metropolis of Bedford.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDynasty View Post
    Gino's East.
    Locations around Chicagoland. Texans have no idea what deep dish pizza really is.
    http://citybuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/ginos_pizza_chicago-0953.jpg
    Gino's East is some of the best I've had. Started going there in the late 70's, but probably haven't been in 5 years or so. The first time I went, I ordered way more than I should have. I had no idea that pizza could be that thick!

I'm home in the Chicago suburbs over break, going to try to convince the family to split a Gino's East pizza.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by West_Coast_Bear View Post
    Is this the place on the road from Chapel Hill to Pinehurst? Little town with a family that has two Italian places.
    South Boston is on 501, the highway that runs north out of Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDynasty View Post
    Gino's East.
    Ike Sewell was a Texan. I think he played football for the horns.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    I'm going to say some lolstin-area "blasphemy," but it's the gottdanged truth: Mangia's deep dishes suck harrbls. Seriously. Just not very good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjacoco View Post
    I'm going to say some lolstin-area "blasphemy," but it's the gottdanged truth: Mangia's deep dishes suck harrbls. Seriously. Just not very good.
    Yeah, it's not that great.

There's a pretty good thin crust place sort of in your neck of the woods - The Little Deli - in Crestview. It's all brick oven fired, hand made, and can be bought by the slice for very reasonable given how much work they put into it. It's also BYOB, and the little store in the same parking lot has a pretty respectable beer stock for a place that small.

My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyTownBear View Post
    Deep Dish Pizza is a casserole.

For those of you in the DFW area, Cane Rosso in Deep Ellum and Dough up in North Dallas are both outstanding pies. It's a tough call on which one is better, though I do lean towards the Paulie Gee at Cane Rosso personally.

Cane Rosso was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives tonight.
    Means Red Dog, by the way.

Thread Information