+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyTownBear View Post
    Where it was subsequently shipped to never mattered to the parent corp until they realized that they could be making a profit on said product themselves and wanted to enforce the original contractual terms. Snapple Pepper turned a blind eye for years when no one but the Dublin folks made DP with Pure Cane Sugar. When the retro soda trend (using real sugar and not corn syrup) became a viable business unit, Snapple Pepper decided to enforce the original terms of the contract that they had themselves ignored for years. They have a right to do it, but this is a situation where the ultimate results are a back lash that actually hurts them. Only time will tell.
    You can't selectively enforce the terms of an agreement and then expect a court to do the same.

If Dr Pepper watched this happen with impunity without taking any action over the course of many years, they could have well waived that particular term.

Dr Pepper's position must have been stronger than this to leverage this kind of settlement agreement.

I won't boycott DP because I don't know the whole story, but I would hope that DP and the DBC might strike a new deal in the future.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them. - Deuteronomy 7:1-2"

I farted in the Pacific Ocean. Then I went home.
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Yeah, Dublin screwed themselves on this when they violated their agreement with Dr Pepper. I'm sad to see them lose the right to bottle DP since that would've been my main reason to take a trip to Dublin, but it appears to be their own fault as to why they can't anymore.

IIRC, some of the Dr Pepper-versions of the cane sugar DPs do come in glass bottles. That's how the ones Mom bought me for Christmas came (she knows me well, eh?) and we're well out of even Dublin's "expanded" territory.

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedForSteele View Post
    another tick (inexorably) towards the javelina puffalump...........

... and lfs gathers the toenail clipper.

- kkm
    Someone needs to get Fisher-Price to make this. Feature exotic varmints (like the pig*) and claim that they're edumacational.
    I've got ninety-nine problems, but aggy ain't one.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Why doesn't Dr Pepper buy out Dublin Bottling Co and then produce the same high quality product?

I suppose that would be giving the people what they want rather than giving the shareholders what they want. They'll still produce a "real sugar" version even if it isn't Dublin's version and life will go on.

I never drink soft drinks unless they are part of a cocktail or Dublin Dr Pepper/real sugar Dr Pepper is available. I suppose since I never drink it I can't tell the difference. But I CAN tell the difference between corn syrup. Nasty.

I can't tell a difference between the Dublin and what Dr. Pepper makes. If DP continues to make it fine with me. I like the soda fountain version.

Quote Originally Posted by EK bear View Post
    Why doesn't Dr Pepper buy out Dublin Bottling Co and then produce the same high quality product?
    That's basically what Dr Pepper Snapple did. It cost 14 folks in Erath county their jobs as a result.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyTownBear View Post
    That's basically what Dr Pepper Snapple did. It cost 14 folks in Erath county their jobs as a result.
    Basically, the unemployment rate in Erath County went from 1% to 99% in one day...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them. - Deuteronomy 7:1-2"

Quote Originally Posted by EK bear View Post

I suppose that would be giving the people what they want rather than giving the shareholders what they want. They'll still produce a "real sugar" version even if it isn't Dublin's version and life will go on.

I never drink soft drinks unless they are part of a cocktail or Dublin Dr Pepper/real sugar Dr Pepper is available. I suppose since I never drink it I can't tell the difference. But I CAN tell the difference between corn syrup. Nasty.
    What is the difference between what Dublin was making and the "real sugar" DP version? I always liked Dublin DP, but I imagine a "real sugar" version of DP probably tastes about the same. If that is the case, why would DP buy out Dublin Bottling Co.? (It seems like it would be a waste of money.)

My Mood
    Sleepy
    FYI--Torchy's in Austin still has the Dublin stuff if you're in Austin.

I can't tell the difference (is it beet sugar vs. cane sugar?) by taste between it and the DP-produced sugar version, but I'm having some right now and it's delicious.

Jackie Burke's and Uncle Drayton's Back Yards
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjacoco View Post

I can't tell the difference (is it beet sugar vs. cane sugar?) by taste between it and the DP-produced sugar version, but I'm having some right now and it's delicious.
    I wonder how long that will last? Just had DublinDP at Torchy's in Dallas recently...
    Quote Originally Posted by BooBooFan View Post
    Great idea, I need to post more Iowa stuff. Thanks for reminding me.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    No clue--I'd imagine that they must stockpile the stuff, but whenever the pile runs out...bye bye.

Hopefully they stick to another real sugar drink. Me gusta.

I'm disappointed to hear this news, since I love those little glass bottles of cane sugar DP's from Dublin.

But, I think all that cane sugar and carbonated water must have messed up my eyes or something. I could have SWORN that I read that the topic of this board was RECRUITING. I guess I'll get my eyes checked soon.

Sic 'em!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Green/Gold View Post
    I'm disappointed to hear this news, since I love those little glass bottles of cane sugar DP's from Dublin.

But, I think all that cane sugar and carbonated water must have messed up my eyes or something. I could have SWORN that I read that the topic of this board was RECRUITING. I guess I'll get my eyes checked soon.

Sic 'em!
    Sucks man. I always hate getting new glasses. Asparagus is good for eyesight. I think there's a thread on the recruiting board about it.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Your eyes deceive you. This forum is clearly labelled "Steak Night."

Quote Originally Posted by ninjacoco View Post

Good call! I'll have to hit it up ASAP to get it one last time.....wow, that's depressing.

Hope to be there Saturday at lunch. A Republican and Dublin=greatness.

I know I may be talking to the wrong crowd but ... If you need a great real sugar soda try my favorite import "Mexican" Coke

Thread Information