+ Reply to Thread

Tim DeRuyter: It's easier to recruit for Fresno State than Texas A&M

The Saggies won't like this story.

Tim DeRuyter: It's easier to recruit for Fresno State than Texas A&M

Sean Lester
    Dallas Morning News
    29 February 2012

Former Texas A&M defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter was hired as Fresno State's newest head coach in the offseason and with him he brought another former Aggie coach, Nick Toth.

DeRuyter and Toth, Fresno's new defensive coordinator, have been installing the 3-4 defense they ran at A&M into the Bulldog system since they arrived.

During a recent interview with Robert Kuwada of the Fresno Bee, Toth opened up about how they would handle having different sized athletes at Fresno compared to A&M.

But, the conversation quickly shifted to how Toth and DeRuyter, along with the rest of the A&M staff, were perceived in Aggieland.

"People talk about being a mid-major, but it's unbelievable the reception we get when we talk to California high schools and California junior colleges," Toth said. "It was better here, how we've been received, than it was when we got to Texas A&M. That's not B.S.

"When we got to A&M, high school coaches wanted to give us their I-AA players. Here it's been the opposite. Recruiting for me has been one of the most encouraging things for me as we go into spring."

Toth went on to talk about which players could player where for Fresno and how certain guys would fit the new system. When Kuwada asked if Toth had a feeling of where some guys will play going into the offseason training Toth pointed out key players before again getting back to A&M.

"(Jeremiah) Toma and (Patrick) Su'a, though, are two of our leaders now. Since we've walked on campus and started workouts, they've been rocks. They've been rock solid. They lead by example. They lead verbally. They're congenial guys, so they get along with everybody.
    But they're also going to pot their foot down and the temper is going to rise a little bit when it's time to. Both those guys are better than anything we've played with the past three years [at Texas A&M]."

Toth obviously thinks highly of his current team at Fresno State, as he should as a first year defensive coordinator. But, does a team that went 4-9 and 3-4 in the Western Athletic conference last season have better athletes than Texas A&M over the past three years?

Toma and Su'a are both inside linebackers, a position that struggled at A&M during that time. But, linebackers as a whole had their fare share of success during DeRuyter and Toth's time at A&M.

Some might remember Butkus Award winning linebacker Von Miller who went on to be the second pick in the NFL Draft along with the defensive rookie of the year.

It's a tough comparison to make but it seems there was some tension left between A&M and it's former coaching staff based on at least one coaches statements.

Blog Entries

Not surprised by this at all. Sherman hadn't done **** when DeRuyter arrived and all the HS coaches wanted to send their best players to Texas, OU, OSU, Tech, Arky, and LSU. I wouldn't have wanted to send my best players to them either with the way their football program was.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Whenneck View Post
    Not surprised by this at all. Sherman hadn't done **** when DeRuyter arrived and all the HS coaches wanted to send their best players to Texas, OU, OSU, Tech, Arky, and LSU. I wouldn't have wanted to send my best players to them either with the way their football program was.
    And thanks to a certain trophy and video game cover, BU will begin to be in that conversation as well. Or as Art Briles says, "we'll have a seat at the table."

Post #4,000

My Mood
    Cool
    Check out the hate slams from agtards on the comments section

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews....when-we-g.html

I'm sure txf@gs.com is burning up! My computer has that site blocked permanently!

My Mood
    Amused
    My sentiments exactly! Too funny!!

that is absolutely hilarious...

yet pretty bush league at the same time to throw your prior athletes under the bus like that.....

but still damned FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Somebody was glad to put CS in the rear view mirror. Wow.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Poor aggy. I'm sure it is hard recruiting people into a cult...normal people that is

My Mood
    Relaxed
    One word. WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHOOOOOPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

RD2

My Mood
    Breezy
    http://i40.tinypic.com/23jqs5i.jpg

Its shocking how bad aggy is.....

Thread Information