+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My Mood
    Happy

True or False?

If you didn't know what color he was, Robert Griffin III compares much more in style and in substance to Aaron Rogers than he does to Michael Vick.

Substance - for sure

Style - we'll see, can't compare until Robert gets some NFL playing time under his belt

And yes, I think Vick or Cam is the natural comparison because of color AND the fact that all three of those QBs are way faster than the average NFL QB.

"It is what it is."

The only tangible comparisons between RGIII and Rodgers: Combine Results

4.41 40 yd dash vs 4.72
    39 inch verticle vs 34.5
    120 inch broad jump vs 110

I think it is a legitamate question, but you could have left out the first part and it is still a legit question.
    Last edited by stjawa972; 02-29-12 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JGTBH View Post
    If you didn't know what color he was, Robert Griffin III compares much more in style and in substance to Aaron Rogers than he does to Michael Vick.
    How about neither of the above. Looks like a cross between the two to me. RGIII is RGIII. not Aaron or Vic.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    True - and I don't give a rat's glutes about skin color.

RGIII exhibits leadership skills and the ability to make good football decisions. He can throw in the pocket, but can really move if he has to do so.

The Rogers/ III comparison is far more accurate than the Vick/ III comparison. The only thing Vick and RGIII have in common is an uncanny arm and ability to throw the football.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Smarter than the Average Bear..."

RG3 can't be compared with anyone. He's something new to the NFL.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Steve young

My Mood
    Inspired
    i just dont think that there is a single player that i could compare Robert to. Robert has big play capability in his legs and can throw with the mannings. He truly is a special player, hes everything a team would want. he will fill the stands with his style of play and magic that he brings to the field but also realizes that he is the point guard on the team and delivers great passes to his receivers. He truly is special and i cant stress it enugh that im gonna miss the magical moments that he brought to the case. We all know what im talking about, those moments where you know that he just made something great out of nothing

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy11 View Post
    Steve young
    Yeah, him and Rodgers to me in the since that they can all extend plays, have great arms, and know how to lead.

I cringed when I heard Kiper say that Robert was like Vick except that Robert was a much better thrower than Vick and Vick was faster than Robert. He just said that he's like Vick because he's an athletic, black QB.

If they started with whom he compares to throwing the ball, they'd be forced to start off with Rodgers and Young. Vick would be one of the last QBs he'd be compared to.

Neither.

The comparison I keep coming back to is Roger Staubach. Nobody has ever reminded me more of Staubach than Griffin. The athleticism, the leadership, intelligence, awareness, improvisation and that special intangible ability to make a big play when it counts one way or another. Griffin is faster and has a stronger arm, but otherwise they're cut from the same mold.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsmith View Post
    i just dont think that there is a single player that i could compare Robert to. Robert has big play capability in his legs and can throw with the mannings. He truly is a special player, hes everything a team would want. he will fill the stands with his style of play and magic that he brings to the field but also realizes that he is the point guard on the team and delivers great passes to his receivers. He truly is special and i cant stress it enugh that im gonna miss the magical moments that he brought to the case. We all know what im talking about, those moments where you know that he just made something great out of nothing
    He is 100% unique. Early in our season one analyst said RG3 was as good of a passer as Tom Brady and faster than Vick, with Tebow's size. I appreciated that description. Does anyone still have that video link?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    But to your point, I agree that the only reason he is compared to Vick is because he is fast and black. Vick is nowhere near as good as a passer as RGIII...not many are. He compares favorably to Luck in his throwing mechanics.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei322 View Post
    He is 100% unique. Early in our season one analyst said RG3 was as good of a passer as Tom Brady and faster than Vick, with Tebow's size. I appreciated that description. Does anyone still have that video link?
    Exactly man, He's one of a kind ..... and he came from Baylor !!!!!

My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy11 View Post
    Steve young
    Closest analogy I can find.

He's way, way smarter than Vick.

More mobile than Rogers, and Rogers is mobile.

Too bad RG3 won't get to sit on the bench awhile and learn like Young or Rogers and learn the game.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Blog Entries
    Yeh...vick def not. Young is a good one. Only thing I hate is I foresee a bunch of criticism coming when his supporting cast limits his impact and wins his 1st few years...especially given the fact the frontrunners to trade up are mostly disfunctional and seem poorly managed

My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by merckywaters View Post
    Yeh...vick def not. Young is a good one. Only thing I hate is I foresee a bunch of criticism coming when his supporting cast limits his impact and wins his 1st few years...especially given the fact the frontrunners to trade up are mostly disfunctional and seem poorly managed
    great post and yes your spot on with that, alot of people still dont realize that the best players go to the worst teams and usually have a big mountain to climb to reach success in the NFL. Robert WILL reach his goals in the NFL based on the type of person he is, but like anything great its gonna take time for the right places to be in place

My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by JGTBH View Post

What does color have to do with it?

My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia_del_DougO View Post
    The comparison I keep coming back to is Roger Staubach. Nobody has ever reminded me more of Staubach than Griffin. The athleticism, the leadership, intelligence, awareness, improvisation and that special intangible ability to make a big play when it counts one way or another. Griffin is faster and has a stronger arm, but otherwise they're cut from the same mold.
    You and I think the same way. Both on and off the field, RG3 and Staubach have very similar qualities.

My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornfan View Post
    What does color have to do with it?
    helluva good question...and yet RGIII is always compared to Vick, Vince and Cam, while Luck is always compared to Manning, Elway, etc...

You have to have your head in the sand or some other equally dark place not to notice it.

Griffin reminds me of Donovan McNabb... no wait... Warren Moon. No... Doug Williams. Actually, change that to Shack Harris. Yeah, definately Shack Harris.

Thread Information