+ Reply to Thread
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Blog Entries

Smile Just ran into...

I'm at state of Tenn sesquicentennial Battle Of Shiloh conference listening to seminar with 3 distinguished speaker/writers.
    Saw some tall dude dressed in black with a long ponytail slip out the back.
    I sneaked out into the lobby and saw Trace Adkins!
    I approached him and asked him if Kim was here. He looked at me with a puzzled look. I exclaimed 'kim mulkey!.'
    He smiled, let out a deep laugh, and I told him I was a Baylor grad and was so proud for her.
    He replied, 'sic em bears.'and made his way out of the facility.

split time between the 'Pell and the Cliff with stops to the 'Co
    Quote Originally Posted by merckywaters View Post
    I'm at state of Tenn sesquicentennial Battle Of Shiloh conference listening to seminar with 3 distinguished speaker/writers.
    Saw some tall dude dressed in black with a long ponytail slip out the back.
    I sneaked out into the lobby and saw Trace Adkins!
    I approached him and asked him if Kim was here. He looked at me with a puzzled look. I exclaimed 'kim mulkey!.'
    He smiled, let out a deep laugh, and I told him I was a Baylor grad and was so proud for her.
    He replied, 'sic em bears.'and made his way out of the facility.
    As cool as the Trace Adkins encounter is I am more jealous of you being at Shiloh for what sounds like a pretty sweet conference. Yes I am a history nerd and have my degree in it. I stopped at Shiloh on my way to Texas from Fort Knox a few years back, it was incredible.

Merck, I was afraid the Yanks had captured you and took your I phone. You back in time for the Braves opener and thirsty Thursday?

My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by BaylorHooah View Post
    As cool as the Trace Adkins encounter is I am more jealous of you being at Shiloh for what sounds like a pretty sweet conference. Yes I am a history nerd and have my degree in it. I stopped at Shiloh on my way to Texas from Fort Knox a few years back, it was incredible.
    I would like to visit there sometime. My great-grandfather fought there with a Mississippi Cavalry Regiment as well as many other battles/skirmishes in that region.

I lost a great great uncle at Pittsburg Landing.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Haven't made it to Shiloh...yet! But, Gettysburg I'll never forget ! NEVER !
    We'll fling our GREEN and WHITE afar
    To light the ways of time,
    And guide us as we onward go;
    That good old Baylor line!

TRADITION? Who needs it?

My Mood
    Lurking
    Blog Entries
    Yessir, quite incredible experience. Wish you could've been there. Wiley Sword, James McDonough, & Larry J. Daniel were all there this morning for one seminar discussing the battle. Shiloh was awesome. re-enactment this past sat & sun...damn.just awe inspiring. Entire conference and Tenn's sesquicentennial event from wed morning til today was amazing. Unfortunately, had to leave this afternoon but events continue til sat with park ranger-led battlefield hikes and lighting of 23,742 luminaries throughout park for the # of casualties.

Unfortunately, business calls and had to return home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack and DP View Post
    Merck, I was afraid the Yanks had captured you and took your I phone. You back in time for the Braves opener and thirsty Thursday?
    Ha! There were many there but I managed to sneak away. Phone service (cspire) was shoddy and hotel at Pickwick was having wifi issues so couldn't post much from there.
    Just got home or woulda joined ya for mbraves, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by ABC BEAR View Post
    I would like to visit there sometime. My great-grandfather fought there with a Mississippi Cavalry Regiment as well as many other battles/skirmishes in that region.
    You definitely should visit then. MS cavalry ? What regiment?

Quote Originally Posted by Limited IQ Redneck in PU View Post
    I lost a great great uncle at Pittsburg Landing.
    and hope you visit soon as well. What regiment?
    More lost their lives at Shiloh in that one battle than all previous lost by our country prior in the country's history.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimebear View Post
    Haven't made it to Shiloh...yet! But, Gettysburg I'll never forget ! NEVER !
    Yes, gonna hafta go myself to Gettysburg next year myself. Will prolly be the largest re-enactment ever.

Going to post my pics and report of my experience on the thread I started in "Religion & Politics" section of forum entitled "150th Anniversary of Civil War" here:
    http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237005

My Mood
    Lurking
    Blog Entries
    Ahhh...so NOW I understand Trace's presence at event...he's actually on the board of the Civil War Preservation Truzt. Cool dude. Go Kim!

split time between the 'Pell and the Cliff with stops to the 'Co
    sounds like a great trip Merck. I have been to Vicksburg twice and Shiloh. I also went to an old Revolutionary battlefield in winston-salem, NC when we went to see BU play Wake Forest a few years back, really neat.

I will tell you what really stuck out with me was the pond at Shiloh that soldiers from both sides basically crawled to do die. At that point those at that pond knew their war was over and all sat there waiting for death.

I was born in San Antonio and have been to the Alamo many times, still make a stop by it every time I am in town. If you live in Texas take a trip to Goliad and then the San Jacinto battlefield if you have never done so. pretty neat.

Yes, I need to get to Gettysburg.

sounds like a great trip Merck. I have been to Vicksburg twice and Shiloh. I also went to an old Revolutionary battlefield in winston-salem, NC when we went to see BU play Wake Forest a few years back, really neat.

I will tell you what really stuck out with me was the pond at Shiloh that soldiers from both sides basically crawled to do die. At that point those at that pond knew their war was over and all sat there waiting for death.

I was born in San Antonio and have been to the Alamo many times, still make a stop by it every time I am in town. If you live in Texas take a trip to Goliad and then the San Jacinto battlefield if you have never done so. pretty neat.

We've got a spare bedroom if ya'll ever want to hit up Old Town and make the road trip up.

Love me some War Between the States history. My great great grandfather Henry and his brother Barney (later killed and buried in Richmond) were at Gettysburg with the Louisiana Tigers (LA 9th Infantry Regiment). Two more of his brothers stayed in Louisiana (Gray's 28th Louisiana infantry) and fought with General Taylor (son of President Zachary Taylor) in the Red River campaign to prevent the Yanks from taking Shreveport and East Texas (battles of Pleasant Hill and Mansfield). My wife's (Tyler, TX) great great grandfather was also in the Army of Northern Virginia with the famous Texas 1st. He somehow survived the cornfield at Antietam and the war. A Pennsylvania family recently returned the Texas 1st flag (lost in the cornfield) and it now is on display in Austin at the Capitol.

The best re-enactment I have ever witnessed was at Manassas (Bull Run 1) back in 1995 where there were 5000 horse cavalry and 100 cannon in addition to 1000s of infantry. You could hear the thunder of cavalry charge and cannon from miles away as the sound carried over the rolling hills of Northern Virginia. The smoke from cannon and rifle was so thick on the battlefield that you could barely see 5 feet in front of you. This was one of the most incredible sights I have ever witnessed.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Blog Entries

Very cool. Thanks for hitting Vicksburg! Our park is outstanding and yes, I'm biased.
    Bloody pond...agree.
    As a descendant of 3 from Bloody Sixth of Miss who led the opening attack and suffered 70% casualty rate while attacking uphill from a swampy quagmire with displaced artillery support after a 25 mile march through rain and rough terrain, I see this whole battle with such reverent eyes.
    Agree on Goliad, Alamo, San Jacinto. Most won't believe there was actually a naval battle on the Brazos!

Man, we gotta make Gettysburg !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&SilverBear View Post
    We've got a spare bedroom if ya'll ever want to hit up Old Town and make the road trip up.
    Careful what you wish for cuz may take you up on that offer.

Quote Originally Posted by RoentgenRayBear View Post
    Love me some War Between the States history. My great great grandfather Henry and his brother Barney (later killed and buried in Richmond) were at Gettysburg with the Louisiana Tigers (LA 9th Infantry Regiment). Two more of his brothers stayed in Louisiana (Gray's 28th Louisiana infantry) and fought with General Taylor (son of President Zachary Taylor) in the Red River campaign to prevent the Yanks from taking Shreveport and East Texas (battles of Pleasant Hill and Mansfield). My wife's (Tyler, TX) great great grandfather was also in the Army of Northern Virginia with the famous Texas 1st. He somehow survived the cornfield at Antietam and the war. A Pennsylvania family recently returned the Texas 1st flag (lost in the cornfield) and it now is on display in Austin at the Capitol.

The best re-enactment I have ever witnessed was at Manassas (Bull Run 1) back in 1995 where there were 5000 horse cavalry and 100 cannon in addition to 1000s of infantry. You could hear the thunder of cavalry charge and cannon from miles away as the sound carried over the rolling hills of Northern Virginia. The smoke from cannon and rifle was so thick on the battlefield that you could barely see 5 feet in front of you. This was one of the most incredible sights I have ever witnessed.
    Rich history man thanks for sharing. Sounds like reenactment was truly impressive .
    Approx 115 cannon, 7k reenactors at Shiloh.

My Mood
    Cool
    I also have a letter written by my great-uncle to his mother while he was in the picket line at Vicksburg. She lived close enough to hear the Union gunboats firing at night. He tells her not to worry as they can't elevate them high enough to strike his battery high on the hill. Before the encirclement of Vicksburg was complete he wrote asking for "eggs, butter and Irish potato's if she could spare some". He also mentions that several of the boys have contracted the measles.

He was a member of Loring's Division who escaped after they captured a mounted Union officer, gave his clothes and horse to one of their own who proceeded to ride through the Federal lines with a forged message and signature of U.S. Grant telling the commanding officer to move his forces around to the right to block Loring's escape attempt. Loring and 8000 of his troops, (great-uncle included) and all his cannon moved through the gap they had just 'created' on the other side and made their way back to Jackson.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC BEAR View Post
    I also have a letter written by my great-uncle to his mother while he was in the picket line at Vicksburg. She lived close enough to hear the Union gunboats firing at night. He tells her not to worry as they can't elevate them high enough to strike his battery high on the hill. Before the encirclement of Vicksburg was complete he wrote asking for "eggs, butter and Irish potato's if she could spare some". He also mentions that several of the boys have contracted the measles.

He was a member of Loring's Division who escaped after they captured a mounted Union officer, gave his clothes and horse to one of their own who proceeded to ride through the Federal lines with a forged message and signature of U.S. Grant telling the commanding officer to move his forces around to the right to block Loring's escape attempt. Loring and 8000 of his troops, (great-uncle included) and all his cannon moved through the gap they had just 'created' on the other side and made their way back to Jackson.
    Awesome! Original letter? Can you snap pics and share?

My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by merckywaters View Post
    Awesome! Original letter? Can you snap pics and share?
    It's a typed copy. Unfortunately a large trove of photographs and hand-written accounts by my great-grandfathers brothers and parents were lost in a 1956 house fire. All of that information had been chronicled and kept by a family historian for decades. This included several eye-witness accounts of the battles around Jackson, Raymond, Champions Hill and Vicksburg, Mississippi.

I also have information that my great-great grandfather was in Company S, 13th Mississippi Regiment during the War of 1812. His father had been in the South Carolina militia during the Revolutionary War and later had been issued a passport (I have a copy of the wording) in 1803 from the Federal Government giving him permission to pass through the Cherokee Nation in Georgia to the westward lands.

I consider myself very fortunate to be the descendent of many people who kept an account of their activities. Just wish that house hadn't burned......

Sorry that I can't copy anything here.....too cheap to pay for the upgrade!

My Mood
    Lurking
    Blog Entries
    Wow man that's incredible! Send me a pm sometime, sir. My folks were in a lot of those same battles and I live in Jackson area. Thanks in advance

Shiloh was the first Civil War battle field I ever visited ... I was in the 8th grade and remember the Bloody Pond being the one place that stood out the most to me. In fact I was just telling my sons about the Bloody Pond yesterday because we started watching a PBS show about the Battle of Shiloh ... a Park Ranger was giving an overview of the battle. I lived in Natchez in junior high and high school and got to experience a lot of history there as well. I don't know how this post got on the Women's basketball area and hasn't been flamed ...

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Blog Entries
    If you find yourself at Shiloh and like to hike/walk...

http://www.shilohmilitarytrails.org/

My Mood
    Lurking
    Blog Entries
    event I attended about to air on cspan! cool

Thread Information