+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb New Texas wbb salary compared to Big 12 wbb coaches

“Karen Aston, who was hired this week to take over the Texas women's basketball program, will earn a base salary of $599,500.That's a little more than half as much as what Gail Goestenkors was set to make for this season.”

Big 12 women’s basketball head coach salaries ($)

1,120,000 … Baylor

948,000 … Oklahoma

828,000 … Texas A & M

650,000 … Texas Tech

599,500 … Texas

595,000 … Kansas State

530,000 … Iowa State

??????? … Kansas (not in article)

Other salaries of interest)

167,500 … if Aston had stayed at North Texas 2012-13

98,000 … average women’s basketball coach salary (NY Times, April 2012)

Also in Aston’s contract

115,000 … One-time Relocation payment

32,500 … Texas wins Big 12 regular season or tournament title

15,000 … top 16 team seed of the NCAA tournament

10,000 … earning a spot in the NCAA tournament

125,000 + … earning a national title

Read more of Suzanne Halliburton's article: http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/astons-contract-in-the-middle-of-big-12s-2286075.html

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Mulkey is well taken care of.

I wonder what kind of bonus Mulkey got for winning the NC....

The salary would seem to take the pressure off Aston, a move I like as I just assumed UT would go after a big name and throw big bucks at her. To be sure, with all of it they generate and have in reserve, money is no object. This lets Aston just recruit and recruit and coach and coach and stay off government assistance, surely is a pay increase from UNT. 'Horns are honoring their past by hiring one of their own. Hope she succeeds but not against BU.

Obviously they are not going to pay her more than market value at this point. This is her first big head coaching job. Baylor didnt start KM out where she is now. I imagine is Aston does really well she will be well taken care of in Austin.

It is UT signaling that they are no longer willing to throw money at a sport that loses money when the season is over. Dont know if that is good or bad but it is the sign they put up. I hope Karen does really well but I suspect the support for that program is all but gone at this point.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by nein51 View Post
    It is UT signaling that they are no longer willing to throw money at a sport that loses money when the season is over. Dont know if that is good or bad but it is the sign they put up. I hope Karen does really well but I suspect the support for that program is all but gone at this point.
    they tripled her salary plus gave her 115K to just drive down I-35 from Denton.

there was no reason to give her a Million. they didn't have to lure her away from Denton like they had to lure GG. gas money or a rental car could have gotten her away from there

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nein51 View Post
    It is UT signaling that they are no longer willing to throw money at a sport that loses money when the season is over...
    What do you mean?

Looks like the only bonus she'll realistically earn is the $10k for making the NCAA tournament, since ESPN seems to make sure the lady horns get in. They sure didn't deserve the bid this year. That relo payment is probably because a similar house in Austin to one in Denton will cost her about that much more.
    "We have the (Big 12 title) belt around our waist, and it's buckled up pretty tight. It will be a struggle to get that sucker off, I can promise you that. . . . We like the belt, and we're going to keep it."

My Mood
    Relaxed
    With all the money that all these coaches earn, it is really surprising that only Kim, and to a lesser extent Sheri Coale, spend any of it on very nice clothes. I've never seen so many drab, gray/tan/brown pants suits being worn by a group of affluent women.

Thread Information