+ Reply to Thread

How much better will Griner be?

She's racked up nearly every possible award this year. Assuming she makes the Olympic team, she will be playing with and against players better than she ever has. With a lot of teaching from Geno, and the experience of playing in even brighter lights, it's scary to think how much better she could be next year.

There is no question that she will be even better next year. The worry is that she will play a little too much, a little too long, and come back in a state of mental and physical exhaustion, often not particularly noticeable, but definitely there. NBA players playing through the summer in similar situations have in several cases had poor seasons following, and a few here and in Europe have suffered injuries, either during or after.

If she rests prior to reporting to camp, that will help. She will also likely not be playing major minutes throughout the practice games and in the Olympics, as there will be three very capable post players on that team to share minutes. What will be advantageous is the opportunity to practice with advanced talent, and to play against the best international talent, some of it outstanding.

She obviously profited from her experience last summer playing internationally on Team USA, but that pales in comparison to the Olympic Games and all that that entails. She will have seen it all, experienced it all athletically when she returns in late August, and she will have time to rest and recuperate before starting into the preseason practices. I am sure that Mulkey will be attentive to the situation and plan for it.

What a wonderful experience and what an opportunity. Every game next year should be special for Baylor fans, both because of Griner and because of her senior team mates. We owe them.....

Quote Originally Posted by setshot View Post
    There is no question that she will be even better next year. The worry is that she will play a little too much, a little too long, and come back in a state of mental and physical exhaustion, often not particularly noticeable, but definitely there. NBA players playing through the summer in similar situations have in several cases had poor seasons following, and a few here and in Europe have suffered injuries, either during or after.

setshot, I believe I need to go to the chiropractor after reading your post. I was nodding my head in a vertical direction many times to say yes, yes ... and yes.

My concern is that Brittney might be selected as one of the 3 alternates versus the 12th player. If that happens, Brittney would fulfill a role that is somewhat like a Baylor Gold team member. She would have to go through all the toughness practices, grueling drills, injury risk, travel and rest deprivation of the 12 Olympic team members. My understanding is that Olympic alternates do not receive medals. Baylor Gold team members, for all of their dedication and hard work, receive National Championship rings. Baylor Gold teamers have an opportunity to enter the game and play minutes on the court; Olympic alternates do not.

Here is an April 3 article that makes me weigh the possibility that Brittney as the 12th player may not be a done deal. I found it interesting that Jones knew the committee's decisions a week before the 11 team members were announced.

USA - Asjha Jones shines, still hopes for Olympic call

ISTANBUL (Olympics) - Asjha Jones has yet to realize her dream of representing the United States at the Olympics and her chances of doing so faded last week when she was not among the 11 players named for the London Games. One spot has yet to be filled and Jones is a strong candidate, but competition for that place is fierce. The veteran power forward/center, who played on the United Statesí World Championship-winning side two years ago, reminded USA Basketball of what she could bring to the table over the weekend at the EuroLeague Women Final Eight in Istanbul. She hit big shot after big shot, and grabbed big rebound after big rebound as Rivas Ecopolis went on a stunning run to the Final before falling to big favorites Ros Casares.

Jones was named MVP of the Final Eight. That was quite honor when considering the world-class talent on display that included past USA Olympians Diana Taurasi (Galatasaray), Sue Bird and Candace Parker (both UMMC Ekaterinburg, Seimone Augustus (Sparta&K Moscow Region) and 2012 selections Maya Moore (Ros Casares) and Angel McCoughtry. There were Australian greats Lauren Jackson (Ros Casares) and Penny Taylor (Fenerbahce), and prominent Russians Maria Stepanova and Svetlana Abrosimova (both UMMC) and Becky Hammon (Sparta&K). There were terrific players all over the place, but Jones was better than them all.

No one knew it at the time, but Jones had already been told that on Friday, she wasnít going to be among the 11 confirmed players for USA Olympic squad. "I knew ahead of time that I wasn't going to be a part of that," Jones said to FIBA.com. "Before the announcement, they (USA Basketball) did a good job of not shocking you. So, they told me ahead of time, maybe a week before. I can't really remember."

How did she take the news? "It's tough," Jones said. "In college, you know that people want you and they're going to recruit you. It's your choice. But in this situation, it's kind of out of your hands. You just go and play and hopefully they like you. But it's out of your control."

When it comes to the USA, though, it's not really a matter of whether they like Jones or Brittney Griner, the college basketball center at Baylor who also wasn't chosen. Of course they like them. But there are only 12 places in the team. "It's tough," Jones said. "You're choosing from the best players in the world and sometimes, you're not going to make the cut. And for me, that was the case this time."

With the one place still available, does Jones take the attitude that she's going to show them in the Spanish play-offs and in the WNBA that she should go to London? "I don't play to prove things to other people," Jones said. "I play for myself and my team. So, whether or not they were going to pick me, I was going to play in the same way this tournament (EuroLeague Women Final Eight)."

Here's the link: http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...1110/arti.html
    Last edited by slimecap; 04-07-12 at 07:41 AM. Reason: failed attempt to increase font size

If selected Griner would get to practice against outstanding competition.
    Unfortunately, the defense she faces will be unlike what she will face upon returning.

She will actually get man coverage and the opportunity to go one on one.
    I imagine she has a lot of moves she never gets to showcase as she always has six hands beating on her.

My Mood
    Asleep
    Jones is a 6'2" PF and doesn't nearly present the same matchup problems at Griner does for opposing posts. I think what may have turned the time in Griner's favor is when she scores 22 points (I believe) during that last game on that international tour. The game slowed down for her some and that was with not that much practice with the national team. She is even better offensively now than she was then and provides a matchup equivalent to Lauren Jackson. That would give the US team Fowles and Griner to throw at opposing posts. Griner's already imposing defensive presence and rapidly improving offensive game makes her the logical choice as the 12th player on that team. I'm sure that Kim will allow Griner to get some rest before next season begins. Besides, that means more time to develop Agbuke and Higgins, particularly in the early part of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearprof View Post
    Jones is a 6'2" PF and doesn't nearly present the same matchup problems at Griner does for opposing posts. I think what may have turned the time in Griner's favor is when she scores 22 points (I believe) during that last game on that international tour. ... Griner's already imposing defensive presence and rapidly improving offensive game makes her the logical choice as the 12th player on that team.
    Bearprof, Your post should be e-mailed to the selection committee !

I am hoping that the reason the committee is holding their announcement is to allow Brittney to catch up with her academics and complete her finals. Afterwards, the media can engulf her about the Olympics.

After the season that she had, with the attendant publicity, it is just unthinkable to me that she would not be on the twelve player roster. No one brings to the game the dimension that she does -- they know it and have as much as admitted it. To pass her over at this point is to forego the opportunity to piggyback the women's Olympic team on to the high rising Griner, as strange as that may sound. She is at this point literally and figuratively the biggest name in the sport.

Ashja Jones is, I am sure, a very fine player -- how many people even know who she is, or would pay to see her play? What does she offer that they do not already have on the roster, and if she does offer more, then why is she not one of the eleven? How much does politics play in these choices, if any? Leave Griner off and many of these questions will surface. Leave Jones off and there will not be a ripple.

Griner has to be the twelfth choice.

Quote Originally Posted by HillCountry View Post
    She's racked up nearly every possible award this year. Assuming she makes the Olympic team, she will be playing with and against players better than she ever has. With a lot of teaching from Geno, and the experience of playing in even brighter lights, it's scary to think how much better she could be next year.
    I think Geno's teaching has value in that it would offer Brittney a different perspective, in the same way that Bria Hartley would benefit from exposure to Kim. But the teaching that Brittney's getting from our staff is exceptional.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by HillCountry View Post
    How much better will Griner be?
    If she can master that hook shot while moving across the lane (a shot that she doesn't take often, but misses more than she makes), she'll be the most dominant player in WBB for quite some time

With a National Championship and a wall full of awards this year, the Olympic committee would be crazy NOT to select Brittney. She has become the face of women's basketball. I want to see Brittney add Gold Medalist Olympic to her resume of awards. That would be awesome!

BCC, I think that the development of that skyhook is near at hand. It will likely be a major component of her game in the WNBA, where she will face more size in the paint and less in the way of sagging defenses. She often does not have much room to maneuver because of the clogging in the paint that college coaches employ to stop her, so the little turn around jump shot is a more comfortable one to use.

But you are certainly right -- at some point the hook shot will have to become almost automatic for her if she is to maximize her game in professional and international play, and I think that she will do so.

Thread Information