+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Spanish at Baylor is very difficult and requires a lot of work. I took French after failing it and I enjoy it much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcoppinger View Post
    Spanish is way better to take overseas in the native spanish speaking countries. You won't really learn it here at Baylor, even though Baylor has the 4th hardest Spanish department in the nation.
    Immersion is better. (Back me up, Baptists!)

But where do you get the ranking stat?

Quote Originally Posted by FishThtSvdWaco View Post
    Btw, that orderly in the movie that helps the 'naut down the hall is former NFL hall of famer Anthony Munoz.

I don't think it's a great idea to try and teach a language on the day skipping schedule of a university. Immersion programs are a distant second, but that's like taking a drink from a firehose. If you really want to learn a language, don't pay Baylor tuition dollars to tiptoe in rain puddles.

1. Get Rosetta Stone. Start with some basic memorization
    2. Start with spending a week or two just being immersed via Spanish media.
    2.1 Find a reasonable university class at a jr. college. There are some great Spanish language teachers in the texas community college system.
    3.http://www.montereylanguagecapital.org/dli.htm They have an intensive spanish language program now open to civilians in the summer. Better ROI.
    4. Then go live in the country where that language is spoken.

Much better way to learn the language.
    Your point about day-skipping schedules being a problem for language is valid, but if I am not mistaken all of Baylor's early level language courses (usually the first two semesters) are five-day per week courses for that very reason. There are also department sponsored outside conversation activities, but they're not taken advantage of much because they are not mandatory. In my experience most students don't want to learn the language, they just want to fulfill a degree requirement. The university setting is a great way to learn the language, but not if you only do enough work to pass the course.

Even on a five-day a week schedule, with an hour of homework there's just not enough time spent with the language to really learn it unless you work on it in other ways. The ways you mention are good. Rosetta Stone is excellent and does a great job of getting you to a reasonable level, but is not a complete substitute for a classroom setting. RS is even more effective when combined with the academics of grammar courses. There are things that, as good as RS is, can't be properly conveyed without good old fashioned grammar lessons.

Finally, going to live in another country is certainly the best way to progress once you have a good foundation. The corollary is go live in another country and spend your time with the locals. Too many study abroad courses have big groups of kids from a school go and spend most of their time with each other. It takes away the necessary immersion. Go somewhere where you don't know anyone and where you spend little of your time with other, for example, Baylor students. I have seen kids in upper level Baylor language classes who have already done study abroad who would have clearly been lost had they had to use their own language skills! In talking to them, they appear to have spent quite a bit of time with their own friends from Baylor. A great trip, but not as effective as it could be for learning the language.

No puedo recordar el nombre de la chingadera!

Pea Weevil

Quote Originally Posted by Pea Weevil View Post
    No puedo recordar el nombre de la chingadera!

Pea Weevil
    How old are you anyway?

47. Funny story. A Hispanic co-worker of my wife was trying to teach her basic Spanish skills and had her using this slang term when she was trying to figure out where she left something that she had lost and apparently she used the phrase fairly often. I clued her in that the phrase wasn't quite as benign as her co-worker had led her to believe. So when she carded him about it at work he was pleading his case that the phrase only meant "where I'd leave the damn thing". A few other co-workers chimed in and informed her that she'd been duped and his attempts to teach her conversational Spanish weren't so innocent.

Pea Weevil
    Last edited by Pea Weevil; 04-15-12 at 08:17 PM.

Four female friends went across the border to a restaurant. One was fluent in Spanish. After a while, one of the non-spanish speakers wanted to place an order with the attractive male waiter and asked the spanish speaker what to say to place the order.

They practiced until the non-spanish speaker got comfortable with the order. When the waiter came for the order, she confidently said "Estoy embarazada y es tuyo."

I farted in the Pacific Ocean. Then I went home.
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    "Destinos" was not a telenovela. It was CRAP*. Awful, dry CRAP.

*a.k.a. MIERDA.

Quote Originally Posted by BubblyBear View Post
    The BU Spanish Dept tried that approach with mandatory "Destinos" episodes and quizzes - not nearly as interesting as Univision/Telemundo shows. Yowza!
    ugg that was awful. It didn't help me at all. Frustrated me more than anything.

My Mood
    Doubtful
    Do they still have the language lab? I got busted once for studying history listening to Fogelberg instead of Spanish.
    #ResetTheNet

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by quash View Post
    Do they still have the language lab? I got busted once for studying history listening to Fogelberg instead of Spanish.
    Yeah. Spanish has it and that's where I was required watch Destinos and take tests on it. When I switched to Swahili after dropping Spanish it had it too but it was more layed back in what you had to do. You just had to log the hours for Mwalimu, so I just took practice vocab quizzes and such.

Quote Originally Posted by quash View Post
    Pretty much all the languages still use it some, but there are a lot more places to get similar or better material online without having the limitation of having to physically be in the lab. It still has use, but less than in the past.

I farted in the Pacific Ocean. Then I went home.
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Yeah--the language lab eventually became where I printed crap out for poli sci on short notice, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBear83 View Post
    Well give them back, the Language Arts people were forced to teach Cicero in Croatian last semester!
    Hey, I don't care they teach Cicero in Esperanto if it helps cut down the number of interceptions he throws.

Quote Originally Posted by billytheskink View Post
    Hey, I don't care they teach Cicero in Esperanto if it helps cut down the number of interceptions he throws.
    His eligibility is up..... I really don't care how many interceptions he throws now.

No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of
    Portuguese doesn't use the language lab...not that anyone cares.

Thread Information