+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Just sayin'.....

Houston Chronicle sports today featured the All Greater Houston basketball picks..men and women.
    Something caught my eye....

Ags and others are going nuts over the fact that Mulky and her daughter played on the same AAU team as Griner and actually had a conversation during one of the games. Some suggested that the NCAA should void our entire season and NC and using that as one piece of evidence. Well...as I read further into the interview the paper had with Courtney Williams (6'1" Guard from North Shore, A&M commit and named Girls Basketball Player of the year)..I read the following:

Q: What made A&M the right choice?
    A:The lady who recruited me (Johnnie Harris), I've known her since the eighth grade. Her daughter played on my AAU team, so we got close and I guess I just wanted to be with her for my next 4 years at college. I felt I could trust her, and she's like a mother to me. We're really close"

Now, personally I don't have a problem but...I'm just sayin'.....making accusations against another can come with risk.

Heard a Gary Blair interview on the radio (I'm embarrassed I listened) and the interviewer tried to get him to comment on the "Baylor recruiting violations". He gave a typical Blair answer: Everyone is going to make some mistakes because there are just too many rules. But they have enough problems over there so I don't need to comment anymore.

Johnnie Harris this week announced that she will follow Vic Shaeffer to Miss. State to be his assistant. Good for her. Too bad for Courtney Williams.

Would post a link but couldn't find one on www.chron.com.

That would be the same Johnnie Harris that Coach Blair pulled from the AAU ranks in Arkansas. I believe it was the Arkansas Kamikazi (sp).

old bear 71, I borrowed your info and put it to use on texags with the following

I can't take credit for this tidbit of info but it is
    something from the glass houses department.

'Houston Chronicle sports
    today featured the All Greater Houston basketball picks..men and
    women.
    Something caught my eye....

Ags and others are going nuts over
    the fact that Mulky and her daughter played on the same AAU team as Griner and
    actually had a conversation during one of the games. Some suggested that the
    NCAA should void our entire season and NC and using that as one piece of
    evidence. Well...as I read further into the interview the paper had with
    Courtney Williams (6'1" Guard from North Shore, A&M commit and named Girls
    Basketball Player of the year)..I read the following:

Q: What made
    A&M the right choice?
    A:The lady who recruited me (Johnnie Harris), I've
    known her since the eighth grade. Her daughter played on my AAU team, so we got
    close and I guess I just wanted to be with her for my next 4 years at college.
    I felt I could trust her, and she's like a mother to me. We're really
    close"'

Now I am pretty sure this is the same Johnnie Harris that Coach
    Blair got from the AAU coaching ranks in Arkansas when he was with UofA and she
    coached the Arkasas Kamikazi (sp?).

Now I haven't researched it yet but,
    I am willing to bet the same year she left the AAU ranks and went to hogville
    that there was a pretty solid AAU player that showed up in hogville about the
    same time.

Frenar, hellcat, care to take the time to research this or is
    it something ya'lled prefer to leave alone?

Feel Free. Wonder if the moderator will ex communicate you?

Maybe Courtney Williams will transfer to Miss. St. since she is so comfortable with Ms. Harris?

College assistants hired from the club ranks is a common practice and amongst the elites especially. Even the hiring of club dad coaches and high school coaches takes place. A&M men did so recently.....I'll let you Sherlock types firgure that one. Hint, he coached at a nearby HS. Back to the women.....look to see how bevo fills a few more assistant hires between now and the beginning of recruit season. While doing o keep in mind there's nothing wrong with it and there are no rules being broken. Same as there was none with the Ms. Harris hiring and recruiting of Courtney Williams. You really expect 40, 50, and 60 year old men and women head coaches to beat the bushes and relate to today's 15 & 16 year olds with some of their parents being 28 to 40 year olds? No you can't. These young club circuit coaches develope the young talent on their teams and they know the talent they play against all summer. They are smart hires for those college programs looking to tap into the powerhouse club teams. The NCAA allows and has a process to monitor these hirings and police their activities. What we are experiencing right now are a bunch of stones being sent our way from within glass houses. Note: Not all club teams are AAU teams. The use of the acronym is mostly a catch all script, not a fact for each teams association.

It's okay to point out that they live in a glass house.

I don't disagree with any of the above. The rocks being thrown are thrown with the proclamation that somehow Mulky did something wrong with Griner because she and her daughter played on the same team and there was interaction between "parents" and that the interaction was "recruiting". My point is that Courtney Williams evidently had the same sort of interaction with Johnnie Harris, in the same sort of environment and evidently had some sort of "relationship" since the 8th grade. I doubt very seriously if Harris recorded every contact she had, every time she said hello to Courtney Williams parents at a ball game, shared popcorn or any of the other stuff that goes on. By Williams own admission they have been great friends and Harris has been a mentor and a role model since the 8th grade. Wonderful! Sounds like Harris is a great person. But, that's how stupid that NCAA rule is. You can't expect a parent of a player to tell another parent of a player on the same team.."sorry I can't talk to you, be seen with you or go out to a team meal with the other parents even though our daughters are on the same team together". Ridiculous. But just as ridiculous is for other schools to claim "foul" about Baylor and then not recognize the same situation on their own teams.
    When I coached my summer ball softball teams we were always the Lady Bears, our colors were green and gold and I had a bear paw flag I would hang on the dugout. But in no way was I recruiting.

Seems to me that NCAA should just make it illegal for a womens basketball coach to have a daughter, or at least make it illegal for a coaches daughter to play HS basketball, only volleyball, or softball. This would fix the entire problem. Great idea, even if I had to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackthebear View Post
    College assistants hired from the club ranks is a common practice and amongst the elites especially. Even the hiring of club dad coaches and high school coaches takes place. A&M men did so recently.....I'll let you Sherlock types firgure that one. Hint, he coached at a nearby HS. Back to the women.....look to see how bevo fills a few more assistant hires between now and the beginning of recruit season. While doing o keep in mind there's nothing wrong with it and there are no rules being broken. Same as there was none with the Ms. Harris hiring and recruiting of Courtney Williams. You really expect 40, 50, and 60 year old men and women head coaches to beat the bushes and relate to today's 15 & 16 year olds with some of their parents being 28 to 40 year olds? No you can't. These young club circuit coaches develope the young talent on their teams and they know the talent they play against all summer. They are smart hires for those college programs looking to tap into the powerhouse club teams. The NCAA allows and has a process to monitor these hirings and police their activities. What we are experiencing right now are a bunch of stones being sent our way from within glass houses. Note: Not all club teams are AAU teams. The use of the acronym is mostly a catch all script, not a fact for each teams association.
    Jack, I agree fully with you on all points. I just want to make sure that some of the tamu fans see the hypocrisy of their statements.

The half-dozen intelligent posters on texags have stayed out of the conversation. I think they see it for what it is.

Found your post on Texags. Good job! I think a lot of them are smart enough to stay out of commenting on it because they realize that if we got looked at on that issue...they might be in the very same boat so best to just be quite and move on.

Found on texashoopsrivals.com

"No disrespect to other players on Manvel .. Heard they are very talented but coaches usually do not leave players who are considered the next Candace Parker unless they r leaving too.. She played private fresh yr then went public soph ...former aau coach and "jv" private school coach is now a part of new UT staff / I had not heard anything about Mansfield"

Blog Entries
    I assume A&M reported their violations to NCAA and self-imposed sanctions.

Quote Originally Posted by geewago View Post
    Seems to me that NCAA should just make it illegal for a womens basketball coach to have a daughter, or at least make it illegal for a coaches daughter to play HS basketball, only volleyball, or softball. This would fix the entire problem. Great idea, even if I had to think of it.
    And those that do mess up and actually have kids and a life need to not ever go to their children's events. Even if it is the school production of Anne Frank. That could be viewed as a recruiting trip.

NCAA coaches should just learn their place and not leave their house in the offseason.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by LIB,MR BEARS View Post
    old bear 71, I borrowed your info and put it to use on texags with the following
    Can't find your post over there...any response from them?
    I collect/love all things Baylor. God bless Art Briles!

I assume you're talking about Mulkey.

Good thread!
    Last edited by REvansBU71; 04-17-12 at 12:01 PM.
    We're serious, man, we're not playin'. Baylor's serious! We're on the rise!--Antwan Goodley

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei322 View Post
    Can't find your post over there...any response from them?
    I can't find it either now. It seems their board has been sanitized for your protection.

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.a...20&forum_id=58

For what it's worth.....and it's not.

My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by LIB,MR BEARS View Post
    Jack, I agree fully with you on all points. I just want to make sure that some of the tamu fans see the hypocrisy of their statements.

The half-dozen intelligent posters on texags have stayed out of the conversation. I think they see it for what it is.
    Hell they can't spell "hypocrisy" let alone see it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    I actually thought they put the State of NC on that shirt because they were moving their trailer park over there. They're not?

Thread Information