+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    My Mood
    Brooding

Ubben now using "The Revivalry" on the Big XII blog

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12

as part of his mailbag he states he likes it and will use it from now on.

Alex in Plano, Texas, writes: The new name for the Baylor - TCU rivalry: The Revivalry. What do you think?

DU: This is the first I've seen of it, but I really love it. There's no love lost between those two programs and their fans, and it's a pretty catchy name with a very clear meaning. I'm behind this. I'll start using it on the blog for sure.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Sounds dumb.

It is this man's opinion I think the name is a this year thing. The root word is Revival which means to revive something that has lost feeling or meaningfulness. It can't survive as the long term name of the game. It will lose it's meaning in three to five years.
    Last edited by BiPolarBear1976; 07-07-12 at 11:02 AM.

I like it. better than any other suggestions I've heard so far. However, I think it would be better to actually play some games in the new Big XII before you crown a contest with a name.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by old bear71 View Post
    I like it. better than any other suggestions I've heard so far. However, I think it would be better to actually play some games in the new Big XII before you crown a contest with a name.
    If it were two teams playing with little history before that would be one thing. But Baylor and TCU were long time SWC foes so there's already an established history.

I like the name and hope nobody tries to get the Wikipedia page deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by BiPolarBear1976 View Post
    It is this man's opinion I think the name is a this year thing. The root word is Revival which means to revive something that has lost feeling or meaningfulness. It can't survive as the long term name of the game. It will lose it's meaning in three to five years.
    the rivalry is being revived. 107 meetings even with not playing for 12 years. probably far and away the most for private schools. going to pass several other series soon which have stopped (baylor-aggy, ut-aggy, ku-mu)
    the big12 is being revived.
    TCU back to a big bog conference - revived.

but the way i took initially was a play on the more christian use "A time of reawakened interest in religion" or "A meeting or series of meetings for the purpose of reawakening religious faith"

I think it's pretty corny, but it's not that bad for a contrived name.

on a related note, goodness the T-shirt fans are getting bad at TCU. http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/...owtopic=156547
    "It's not a rivalry if they beat us once in forever."
    "They have to win some to be our rival"
    "Call me when they are competing for Big12 titles"
    "Texas is our rival"
    "We're going to regret [making them a rival] in 20 years when we are 20-0"
    "It's way too religious. TCU is nothing like those baylor nutjobs"

There are a few posters who remember beyond 5 years ago though.
    Last edited by baylrballa; 07-07-12 at 11:44 AM.

To stick it has to be something that most fans from both schools will accept. Such names like the Red River Shootout and Battle of The Brazos are generally liked by the majority of both schools. There is a thread about this very same subject over at www.Killerfrogs.com. The consensus over there is it is not liked because it is too religious sounding. So unless something is found that makes both sides happy it will not stick. They think it is too Baylor sided.
    Last edited by BiPolarBear1976; 07-07-12 at 11:50 AM.

To stick it has to be something that most fans from both schools will accept. Such names like the Red River Shootout and Battle of The Brazos are generally liked by the majority of both schools. There is a thread about this very same subject over at www.Killerfrogs.com. The consensus over there is it is not liked because it is too religious sounding. So unless something is found that makes both sides happy it will not stick. They think it is too Baylor sided.
    I think its a good name. I was partial to "Battle for the Yellow Rose" myself. But this is just as good. Baylor and TCU (though they choose to shun their history) have christian roots, and the revival was a big part of the protestant movement in the US, evangelical or not.

The thing is. A name makes your game more marketable. It sells better, and is an automatic indicator. It also more readily harkens back to the shared history of the programs. Texas-OU makes you think of the game, Red River Rivalry makes you think of the history of the game between Texas and Oklahoma. We want people to think about TCU and Baylor's shared history. With the SWC, Big 12 realignment, Rose Bowls, and Heisman in that time period, it makes a GREAT story. Throw in a little flair and it becomes a game more people start tuning into.

If you were an OU Fan/Alum and before the Texas OU game was tagged with the Red River Shootout and if the Texas Faction tried to force "The Loan Star Brawl" down your throat how would you feel?

For whatever reason, If the TCU side does not like the Revevalry "IT WILL NOT STICK".

f*ck TCU and f*ck that board. i don't care about the rivalry name or that second rate school. Just want to beat the snot of them every year possible

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    "The Loan Star Brawl"
    Would it have been sponsored by Interfirst Bank of Dallas?

The hate TCU has for Baylor is the caziest thing I've ever seen.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Quote Originally Posted by baylorrugger05 View Post
    Rugger haven't seen you post on here in a while..... where you been?... we've needed your input.

Quote Originally Posted by baylorrugger05 View Post
    I barely think of TCU. I could honestly count the number of times I go to 'killerfrogs' a year on one hand.

That's not a shot at them, just telling the truth. I think it's a little ironic. A lot of their fans want to pump their chest and say stuff like "Screw Baylor. I hate them. It's not a rivalry, blah blah blah." Yet the amount of Frog attention here is fairly minimal in comparison to the Baylor trash talk that happens over there. For the side that wants to downplay the idea of it being a "rivalry", they seem to think about it a lot more than Baylor fans do.

What does he mean "there is no love lost between the two schools"? Honestly I have never heard of any hate between the two schools historically (in context I came to the scene in the early 80s) or even involving last year's game.

Blog Entries
    I don't know. I don't think about them a whole lot either. They must have beaten us with regularity back in the one-bar face mask era or leather helmet era because, while the all-time series is tied, over the last 25 years of the SWC Baylor was 18-7 against them, including 6-1 over the last seven games before the end of the SWC. Maybe they really hated us back then and we just didn't notice because we kicked their asses and there wasn't really an internet to channel their hate. More recently, we're 1-3 against them. Of course, there is the whole thing about Baylor being in the Big 12 while TCU (and their 7-18 record against us) was left to wander in the wilderness.

My Mood
    Cynical
    I'm just ready for the state of Texas to be more like the state of California as it relates to college football recently. A couple private schools regularly dominate the huge public schools. Right now, USC and Stanford are light years ahead of Cal and UCLA. I'd be ok if TCU and Baylor took on that role for Texas, preferably of A&M, Texas and Tech all at the same time.

My Mood
    Inspired
    TCU fans are pure scum

The name works for this years game, I guess, but is pretty lame. Why not grab the "Lone Star Showdown." I think that opened up a few months ago.

My Mood
    Amused

The Revivalry

This is the name used for the Baylor-TCU series for YEARS back in the day. It is mentioned in several archival headlines and was pretty common up until the 80s and then the SWC breakup. I think it works pretty well, and it is certainly a throwback to history. It was used extensively before - let's use it again.

Thread Information