+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scooters

Scooters

Thinking about getting a scooter for gas mileage savings. At least 150cc any insights?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    i can get 70 miles to the gallon on this hog

http://robertogato.com/files/2011/03/Dumb-and-Dumber-Scooter.png

My Mood
    Lurking
    My nephew has an electric and loves it. They're street legal where he lives so no tags etc... (this is in Newton, KS). He's 34 and says on weekends he rarely drives his SUV.
    Last edited by marco; 08-31-12 at 06:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WAC_K_O BEAR View Post

My Mood
    Cheerful
    If wasn't 6'7, I would SO own a Scooter. I just can't take the discomfort and ridicule.

My first vehicle was a French Motobecane scooter....friend had Italian Vespar. Was great around the neighborhood, but downright scary, and dangerous on the highway. No power...8 galloping ponies....and pick up too slow. Plus top speed....flat out screaming was about 65-70. That will get big trucks kissing your butt and blasting their horns at you.

So advice is: get it if you don't have to go in fast heavy traffic, but if you do, get life insurance for your family's sake, and draw up your papers.

Quote Originally Posted by JETHRO View Post
    If wasn't 6'7, I would SO own a Scooter. I just can't take the discomfort and ridicule.
    I am 6'8 and the thought of saving $280 a month on gas, which covers double the payment of the scooter, is getting me over the potential ridicule real quick. When I end up on Epic Fail.com, I will just go count my money.

Quote Originally Posted by INB View Post
    My first vehicle was a French Motobecane scooter....friend had Italian Vespar. Was great around the neighborhood, but downright scary, and dangerous on the highway. No power...8 galloping ponies....and pick up too slow. Plus top speed....flat out screaming was about 65-70. That will get big trucks kissing your butt and blasting their horns at you.

So advice is: get it if you don't have to go in fast heavy traffic, but if you do, get life insurance for your family's sake, and draw up your papers.
    Thanks for the advise. I was thinking about a 150cc with top speed of 80, and avoiding the highway.

I farted in the Pacific Ocean. Then I went home.
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I wouldn't mind one (or even just a bicycle) for just neighborhood/city roads. Parking sucks 'round here.
    I've got ninety-nine problems, but aggy ain't one.

Double up on the life insurance (triple?) and learn to drive it like they do in Italy. This is the norm. Fighissimo!

My Mood
    Cheerful

Buy a Harley. Pee Wee Herman types ride scooters.
    orangebear113
    Not sure why it took so long for so many to finally realize that Drew is a terrible terrible basketball coach... Drew coached basketball teams DO NOT GET BETTER..they get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by forza orsi View Post
    Double up on the life insurance (triple?) and learn to drive it like they do in Italy. This is the norm. Fighissimo!

My mother from Napoli....Afragala.
    Last edited by INB; 09-02-12 at 08:16 AM.

My mother from Napoli....Afragala.
    Fravulise! I'll bet she knows "i motorini" well.

no mother is 90 years old and left Afragola in 1926...way before scooters. My mother's Italian is dialect...mixture of Greek and Italian. For example when she says, "Speak, Speak, she says bala, bala, instead of parla, parla. I lived in Brindizi for a year and learned some Italian, but could never understand her Italian at all.

Capishe? If you are traditional Italian and live in Waco, PM me. We need to get together. I am brought up in the Italian culture, and had an Uncle Tony, Uncle Louie, Uncle Vincenzo, Aunt Rosie, Aunt Carmela, Aunt Antonette, etc....like all Italians....with the spagetti every Sunday, a feast at Christmas with the squid, brozhole (Braciola), marinara and meat sauce, demitats and aniset, chianti wine, canolis, etc. Of course, Mom let us taste the sauce by given us a little on a piece of bread. I miss the Italian culture very much....aren't many Italians here.

Noi siamo di napoli.

no mother is 90 years old and left Afragola in 1926...way before scooters. My mother's Italian is dialect...mixture of Greek and Italian. For example when she says, "Speak, Speak, she says bala, bala, instead of parla, parla. I lived in Brindizi for a year and learned some Italian, but could never understand her Italian at all.

Capishe? If you are traditional Italian and live in Waco, PM me. We need to get together. I am brought up in the Italian culture, and had an Uncle Tony, Uncle Louie, Uncle Vincenzo, Aunt Rosie, Aunt Carmela, Aunt Antonette, etc....like all Italians....with the spagetti every Sunday, a feast at Christmas with the squid, brozhole (Braciola), marinara and meat sauce, demitats and aniset, chianti wine, canolis, etc. Of course, Mom let us taste the sauce by given us a little on a piece of bread. I miss the Italian culture very much....aren't many Italians here.

Noi siamo di napoli.
    Capisco. PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by jstins View Post
    Thinking about getting a scooter for gas mileage savings. At least 150cc any insights?
    I think that if you have to depend on highways and/or anything with a 65 mph to get anywhere, you will need a minimum of a motorcycle or 350cc. You need some power. Also, I wouldn't want to ride a 350 for any length of time at 65. Probably at least a 500 - length of common trips is important.

If it's local, grocery store, stuff like that, it should work perfectly

Thanks for all the advise. I am probably going to get a motorcycle because my commute is simply to far at too high a speed for a scooter. My wife still wants me to sit on one so she can make fun of me.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Smartcars are fun and you can drive them in the rain. High 40's on MPG isn't world beating tho.

Ford wont import their 80+ mpg diesel fiesta to the US because they don't think Americans will buy it.

I knew a guy at a previous employer that drove his Vespa to work every day and loved it, but he didn't need highway driving to get there.
    Last edited by EK bear; 09-06-12 at 11:28 AM.

Thread Information