+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by INB View Post
    I get the impression from reading comments about Sumlin, that he is a superior coach in all ways. If he continues his success, I think the NFL will grab him, or at least try. I don't know if he likes sheet enough to turn downs such offers. This would happen to Briles, if he could produce teams that are more balanced offensively AND defensively. I'd like to see Sumlin go to Texas, just to break the backs of Aggies, but then realize he would then be in the Big 12. This league tough enough already.

I don't think the Aggies will get weaker next year, but hope so....being that they are "just still A&M".
    He's never played with his own recruits. Ever. Also, his defenses don't have a record of being great so I'm not sure where that part is coming from. It might have been better this year, but playing all of those crappy offenses helps a lot with that. Also, again, they aren't his players anyway.

Sumlin seems to me to be a guy that would jump at a better offer as he isn't really committed to them for any reason other than his current job. Briles, on the other hand, seems very committed to Baylor and I don't think he'd have an interest in the NFL in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by jonatbaylor View Post
    Sumlin didn't "do" anything except sit back and watch his QB create plays out of nothing.
    This is an uninformed post.

Quote Originally Posted by INB View Post
    I get the impression from reading comments about Sumlin, that he is a superior coach in all ways. If he continues his success, I think the NFL will grab him, or at least try. I don't know if he likes sheet enough to turn downs such offers. This would happen to Briles, if he could produce teams that are more balanced offensively AND defensively. I'd like to see Sumlin go to Texas, just to break the backs of Aggies, but then realize he would then be in the Big 12. This league tough enough already.

I don't think the Aggies will get weaker next year, but hope so....being that they are "just still A&M".
    Sumlin is a good coach I believe but let's not forget what happened at UH when Keenum went down (5-7 I believe). And Sumlin's defenses are never all that great, they usually are okay to mediocre, A&M's defense was that way this year as well, their defense was good except for their horrendous secondary, and their defense should also take a big step back next year as they lose Damontree Moore and Sean Porter? and a bunch of other guys I believe, Damontree Moore was to that defense what Von Miller was to the A&M defene in the cotton bowl year (remember how bad A&M's defense was the year after Von left?). Damontree isn't as good as Von but he had the same kind of impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
    He's never played with his own recruits. Ever. Also, his defenses don't have a record of being great so I'm not sure where that part is coming from. It might have been better this year, but playing all of those crappy offenses helps a lot with that. Also, again, they aren't his players anyway.

Sumlin seems to me to be a guy that would jump at a better offer as he isn't really committed to them for any reason other than his current job. Briles, on the other hand, seems very committed to Baylor and I don't think he'd have an interest in the NFL in the first place.

I have the same impression of both men.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Gcoppinger View Post
    Sumlin is a good coach I believe but let's not forget what happened at UH when Keenum went down (5-7 I believe). And Sumlin's defenses are never all that great, they usually are okay to mediocre, A&M's defense was that way this year as well, their defense was good except for their horrendous secondary, and their defense should also take a big step back next year as they lose Damontree Moore and Sean Porter? and a bunch of other guys I believe, Damontree Moore was to that defense what Von Miller was to the A&M defene in the cotton bowl year (remember how bad A&M's defense was the year after Von left?). Damontree isn't as good as Von but he had the same kind of impact.
    Sumlin was playing with his third or fourth string QB that year and I believe he was a true fish. Our secondary was solid this year, except for the La Tech game and we were down three defensive starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Hawk View Post
    Sumlin was playing with his third or fourth string QB that year and I believe he was a true fish. Our secondary was solid this year, except for the La Tech game and we were down three defensive starters.
    The one team that could actually throw shredded your secondary (Oklahoma chokes in big bowls), and Ole Miss passed well on yall as well. I really just dont have faith in yalls secondary (and yes ours is bad too). I think A&M's D takes a definite step back next year imo. and you guys end up finishing 9-4 (9-3 w/bowl loss). This is just how I think A&M will fare next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcoppinger View Post
    The one team that could actually throw shredded your secondary (Oklahoma chokes in big bowls), and Ole Miss passed well on yall as well. I really just dont have faith in yalls secondary (and yes ours is bad too). I think A&M's D takes a definite step back next year imo. and you guys end up finishing 9-4 (9-3 w/bowl loss). This is just how I think A&M will fare next season.
    IMO, the LaTech game is an outlier on A&M's 2012 record. Yes, they shredded our secondary, but to pretend that being short 4 DBs (including three starters) on a already shallow defense didn't play into that as well is rather naive. I don't care how OU usually does in bowl games--DC Snyder had the Ags ready and shut them down in the 2nd half. Ole Miss did well, but even so, the Ags' D forced 2 INTs (including the game-clincher) and overcame the poorest offensive showing of the season.

I have no idea if the Aggie D will take a huge step back or not next year--all I know is that unit was supposed to be TAMUs achilles' heel last season and they rose to the occasion time and again. Will be interesting to see if that trend continues in '13.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Hawk View Post
    So, your secondary was solid until they played a team that attempted to throw the ball. Got it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Well, OU seemed to throw the ball well all year long and that got them no second half points. Again, we were down a number of starting DBs in the LT game.

Thread Information