+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    My Mood
    Cynical

Damion McKinney resigned

To persue other professional opportunities

Per Craig Smoaks twitter
    Last edited by caesarscott; 05-13-13 at 07:36 PM.

I don't know anything about anything with this, but that wording sounds an awful lot like a firing.

marco is offline Admiral of the III'd Fleet clap of thunder fan marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute (14280 points)
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckins View Post
    I don't know anything about anything with this, but that wording sounds an awful lot like a firing.
    I'd agree. Either that or someone got a HC job with blessings from the Mulk. It's not Friday so I'm going with got offered HC job somewhere.

I hope he is not tight with Karen Aston

Quote Originally Posted by LIB,MR BEARS View Post
    I hope he is not tight with Karen Aston
    18 September 2012

"Baylor Bears went 40-0 last season in what marked the most successful women's basketball season ever. The main reason, Brittney Griner. Yes, Kim Mulkey is a brilliant motivator and very good coach. Her million dollar salary is well deserved. She has turned a fledgling program into two time national champions. Betting against her to win at least one more would be foolhardy. Especially when considering that she has a not so secret weapon; Marques Jackson's young protege', Damion "Swift" McKinney. McKinney became just the second African-American male assistant to win a national championship(Atlanta Dream HC Fred Williams was the 1st at USC). McKinney cut his teeth as a personal trainer and coach for DFW Elite. McKinney ascended to such heights that Kim Mulkey hired him to help take her program to new levels. McKinney responded by landing recruiting classes that other schools dream about.He signed McDonald All-Americans Brittany Griner, Odyssey Sims, Brooklyn Pope(transferred from Rutgers), Alexis Prince and Niya Johnson. In a ironic twist, McKinney reportedly helped the University of Texas land the Nash sisters before joining Baylor, whom he personally trained in high school.

(side note: Baylor fans probably owe a huge amount of gratitude to new UT coach Karen Aston. Aston, the former Baylor assistant, is credited by many for recommending Damion McKinney to Kim Mulkey. That recommendation led to Baylor making history!)

Source:
    http://shesballin.blogspot.com/2012/...d-thrones.html
    `
    Last edited by slimecap; 05-04-14 at 09:10 PM.

Damian, thanks for all your work at BU.

LIB

ps...Karen Aston says really mean and nasty things about you. She cannot be trusted ; )
    Good luck in places outside the B12

marco is offline Admiral of the III'd Fleet clap of thunder fan marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute marco has a reputation beyond repute (14280 points)
    My Mood
    Lurking
    College recruiting appears to be a brutal activity.

Lubbock bound?

Well...crap.

If it is Texas and recruiting is involved ... well, that would be bad on several levels. Hopefully he's looking toward Lubbock or planning to follow Bug Eyes to Tuscaloosa.

Twitter conversation...

Craig Smoak ‏@CraigSmoak 10h
    Lady Bears news. MT @dfwelite: BREAKING NEWS: @DamionMcKinney has resigned as Asst. HC with Baylor to pursue other professional challenges.

david_gibson david_gibson ‏@BaylorFight 8h
    @CraigSmoak @dfwelite @damionmckinney What do you make of this?

Damion McKinney Damion McKinney ‏@DamionMcKinney 5h
    @BaylorFight @CraigSmoak @dfwelite I Fly like I been doing, love u guys.

Bet this affects our recruiting in a negative way. Don't see how it won't.
    Who can replace Damion that's on the current staff?
    Sure interested in hearing the rest of the tale.

My Mood
    Amused
    Blog Entries
    I have known Damion McKinney since 2003. He has done a terrific job as an assistant coach for Coach Mulkey. He consistently mined out relationships with prospective talent and cultivated those prospects into commitments. He is a good coach and an excellent recruiter.

I hope he is leaving Baylor with positive relationships still intact. I hope he is leaving to be able to pursue bigger and better opportunities. Good luck, Damion.
    Respect the game!
    We are Baylor, Baylor we will always be!

Blog Entries
    If Coach Kim didn't really want to see McKinney leave then this has to be one of the worst post-season months (or two) of her career. I doubt she wanted to lose his recruiting, but I certainly don't know anything about it.
    I still can't believe the Lady Bears didn't protect the one point lead they'd FINALLY achieved vs those Louisville thugettes. UConn might have beaten our BU team in the rematch...they do look formidable, don't they? - but I know the gals in Green & Gold would've wanted to see about that STRAIGHT UP! Hang in there, Lady Bears! The future still looks VERY BRIGHT! You'll play a different style in 2013-14, but you've got lots of very good players. JUST STAY AFTER IT HARD! "Odyssey & company" will still be very, very feared by every team they play...including UConn!

I don't think speculation as to the reasons why are good on a public message board. We wish Damion well and much success in the future. Thanks for all you did for the program, Coach.

My Mood
    Cheeky
    Seriously? What else do you do on an internet board?

We owe thanks to Coach Mckinney for the excellent job he did and should wish him the best in the future.
    orangebear113
    Not sure why it took so long for so many to finally realize that Drew is a terrible terrible basketball coach... Drew coached basketball teams DO NOT GET BETTER..they get worse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LIB,MR BEARS View Post
    Damian, thanks for all your work at BU.
    Good luck in places outside the B12
    Unless the "outside the B12" place is at aggy.

When was the last time that Baylor singed a top 10 player? Was it Sims? Maybe it is time for some fresh connections in the AAU world.

Quote Originally Posted by snidleywhiplash View Post
    Seriously? What else do you do on an internet board?
    uh...waste tons of time.........?

Thread Information