+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    35,479

    Lightbulb * * Washington Post Reports Obama's DOJ Investigating Journalists Prior to AP

    WaPo Shocker: Obama's Justice Department Also Spied On Fox News' James Rosen
    Michael Miller
    On May 20, 2013

    The Washington Post reported today that Obama’s DOJ was investigating journalists before it started wiretapping the Associated Press. Not surprisingly, one of those journalists was James Rosen of Fox News.

    WaPo reports that in 2010, the Justice Department seized the personal emails of Fox News chief Washington correspondent James Rosen and used other surveillance methods to investigate whether he was complicit in a leak of classified information.

    When the Justice Department began investigating possible leaks of classified information about North Korea in 2009, investigators did more than obtain telephone records of a working journalist suspected of receiving secret material.

    They used security badge access records to track the reporter’s comings and goings from the State Department, according to a newly obtained court affidavit. They traced the timing of his calls with a State Department security adviser suspected of sharing the classified report. They obtained a search warrant for the reporter’s personal e-mails.

    The case of Stephen Jin-Woo Kim, the government adviser, and James Rosen, the chief Washington correspondent for Fox News, bears striking similarities to a sweeping leaks investigation disclosed last week in which federal investigators obtained records over two months of more than 20 telephone lines assigned to the Associated Press.

    As we’ve learned about the IRS scandal targeting of conservative groups, the investigation of Rosen proves that the DOJ targeting of AP was not an isolated event.

    Court documents in the Kim case reveal how deeply investigators explored the private communications of a working journalist — and raise the question of how often journalists have been investigated as closely as Rosen was in 2010. The case also raises new concerns among critics of government secrecy about the possible stifling effect of these investigations on a critical element of press freedom: the exchange of information between reporters and their sources.

    This revelation is far more troubling than that of Justice Department’s surveillance of AP – where it claims to have only looked at phone records vs. the calls themselves or the content of emails.

    Even more ominous, WaPo reports that the DOJ labeled Rosen a “co-conspirator” with Kim because Kim made an arrangement with Rosen about how to supply him with information. Journalists are outraged today by the fact that the DOJ labeled Rosen an “abettor” simply because he pushed for a source to give him information.

    This ugly story continues to unfold – and it gets uglier by the day. Is this still America?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    35,479

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Grapevine, TX USA
    Posts
    30,939
    It makes no sense to have classified information. Everything should be available to everyone. Trying to stop a terrorist? Send him and email to let him know we're on to him. Building a new defense weapon? Post it online. Have spies in Russia? Run an ad in the local paper with their pictures. Infiltrating Al Qaeda, ask their permission.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    WaPo Shocker: Obama's Justice Department Also Spied On Fox News' James Rosen
    Michael Miller
    On May 20, 2013

    The Washington Post reported today that Obama’s DOJ was investigating journalists before it started wiretapping the Associated Press. Not surprisingly, one of those journalists was James Rosen of Fox News.

    WaPo reports that in 2010, the Justice Department seized the personal emails of Fox News chief Washington correspondent James Rosen and used other surveillance methods to investigate whether he was complicit in a leak of classified information.

    When the Justice Department began investigating possible leaks of classified information about North Korea in 2009, investigators did more than obtain telephone records of a working journalist suspected of receiving secret material.

    They used security badge access records to track the reporter’s comings and goings from the State Department, according to a newly obtained court affidavit. They traced the timing of his calls with a State Department security adviser suspected of sharing the classified report. They obtained a search warrant for the reporter’s personal e-mails.

    The case of Stephen Jin-Woo Kim, the government adviser, and James Rosen, the chief Washington correspondent for Fox News, bears striking similarities to a sweeping leaks investigation disclosed last week in which federal investigators obtained records over two months of more than 20 telephone lines assigned to the Associated Press.

    As we’ve learned about the IRS scandal targeting of conservative groups, the investigation of Rosen proves that the DOJ targeting of AP was not an isolated event.

    Court documents in the Kim case reveal how deeply investigators explored the private communications of a working journalist — and raise the question of how often journalists have been investigated as closely as Rosen was in 2010. The case also raises new concerns among critics of government secrecy about the possible stifling effect of these investigations on a critical element of press freedom: the exchange of information between reporters and their sources.

    This revelation is far more troubling than that of Justice Department’s surveillance of AP – where it claims to have only looked at phone records vs. the calls themselves or the content of emails.

    Even more ominous, WaPo reports that the DOJ labeled Rosen a “co-conspirator” with Kim because Kim made an arrangement with Rosen about how to supply him with information. Journalists are outraged today by the fact that the DOJ labeled Rosen an “abettor” simply because he pushed for a source to give him information.

    This ugly story continues to unfold – and it gets uglier by the day. Is this still America?
    Oops. Mitch McConnell supports the Obama Administration in this:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3302856.html

    Might want to do more checking with your allies before going on another cut and paste frenzy!
    Last edited by George Truett; 05-20-13 at 03:12 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    35,479
    Quote Originally Posted by George Truett View Post
    Oops. Mitch McConnell supports the Obama Administration in this:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3302856.html

    Might want to do more checking with your allies before going on another cut and paste frenzy!
    Miss, you do realize you're quoting the Huffington Post, eh?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Grapevine, TX USA
    Posts
    30,939
    The United States has apologized for leaking information about Israel's alleged attack on a convoy of weapons in Syria bound for Hizbullah terrorists several weeks ago. According to reports, the “leak” about the U.S. leak came from an Israel Radio correspondent, who listed details of the leak, and the apology.

    The tweet came from Israel Radio’s diplomatic correspondent Chico Menashe. In his tweet, Menashe wrote “The U.S. has apologized to Israel for leaking details of the attack in Syria. Senior administration officials said to their [Israeli] counterparts that they are examining the issue and that low-level [officials] were responsible for the leak.”

    In addition, Menashe tweeted, “US officials told that they [will] review the matter. The leak forced Assad to react harshly.”

    According to Pentagon sources, the tweets by Menashe were true, and the U.S. has apologized to Israel for the leak, which could have put Israeli lives in danger. The sources said that the Pentagon was investigating the matter. Israell has still not confirmed that it was involved in the attack.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Miss, you do realize you're quoting the Huffington Post, eh?
    I do. But the statement is correct.

    But to please you, from the horse's mouth:

    http://www.nbcnews.com/video/meet-th...32054#51932054

    Transcript:

    >> let me ask you about these a.p. phone records. this is probably one area where i imagine you would actually be supportive of what the administration has done, despite some of the criticism because you've expressed your outrage in the past and you've pushed for an investigation of national security leaks.

    >> actually, i do think these national security leaks are very important and it looks to me like this is an investigation that needs to happen because national security leaks, of course, can get our agents overseas killed.

    >> so you don't think that this is a scandal plaguing the administration and are you supportive of eric holder as attorney general in light of all of this?

    >> what i am supportive of is investigating national security leaks that endanger americans around the world.

    >> so would this qualify, this seizure of a.p. phone records?

    >> what i -- we don't know yet what has happened here. what i do think is that national security leaks that endanger americans around the world are a serious matter.

    >> i'm just asking, you have no reason then to doubt or do you what the attorney general did actually did endanger lives in this case in.

    >> what i'm saying is national security leaks that endanger americans around the world are a serious matter.

    >> including this one?

    >> any time you're leaking national security information, if it endangers americans around the world, eight serious matter.

    >> i think it's clear what



    You're avoiding the point, which is the McConnell supports Obama in the AP matter.
    Last edited by George Truett; 05-20-13 at 06:04 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    35,479
    Quote Originally Posted by George Truett View Post
    You're avoiding the point, which is the McConnell supports Obama in the AP matter.
    Who cares if McConnel "supports" as you say, Obama? The point of the OP is that in 2010 the Justice Department seized the personal emails of Fox News chief Washington correspondent James Rosen.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    35,479
    Updates:

    According to the Post, the Justice Department went further in investigating Rosen than they did with AP reporters. They obtained his security badge access records at the State Department, looked at records of his calls with a specific State Department adviser and even went through his personal e-mails.

    Investigators, according to the Washington Post, suspected that Rosen was given classified information by a State Department adviser named Stephen Jin-Woo Kim. In an application for the search warrant for Rosen’s emails, the FBI said “there is probable cause to believe” Rosen is an “aider and abettor and/or co-conspirator” in the leak.

    “We are outraged to learn today that James Rosen was named a criminal co-conspirator for simply doing his job as a reporter,” said Michael Clemente, the Executive Vice President of News at FOX News. “In fact, it is downright chilling. We will unequivocally defend his right to operate as a member of what up until now has always been a free press.”

    “Search warrants like these have a severe chilling effect on the free flow of important information to the public,” First Amendment lawyer Charles Tobin told the Washington Post. “That’s a very dangerous road to go down.”

    When it comes to investigating leaks to reporters, the Obama administration, according to the Post, “has pursued more such cases than all previous administrations combined, including one against a former CIA official charged with leaking U.S. intelligence on Iran and another against a former FBI contract linguist who pleaded guilty to leaking to a blogger.”

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    35,479
    Even the ultimate liberal bullshirt Keith Olberliberal is seeing the ObamaNation for what he is:

    Many liberal reporters and commentators have dismissed or downplayed the emerging Benghazi and Internal Revenue Service scandals as non-scandals or trifling bureaucratic errors.

    But reports that the Justice Department has been targeting journalists, first reporters at The Associated Press and now Fox News’ James Rosen, has caused the generally Obama-admiring press to question the purity of their redeemer.

    Here are 10 tweets from liberal commentators and reporters expressing outrage on Monday over Rosen-gate:

    Unemployed liberal commentator Keith Olbermann:

    My experience dealing with @jamesrosenfnc was unpleasant and contentious. And I fully support him against this unwarranted act by DOJ

    — Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann) May 20, 2013

    Name:  ScreenHunter_01 May. 21 09.21.gif
Views: 38
Size:  32.9 KB

    Name:  ScreenHunter_03 May. 21 09.22.gif
Views: 38
Size:  32.4 KB

    Name:  ScreenHunter_02 May. 21 09.22.gif
Views: 37
Size:  46.8 KB

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    35,479
    and in Tuesday's news:

    Fox News reports that three Fox staffers, two reporters and one producer, were targeted by Barack Obama's Justice Department. Fox doesn't have all the details yet on reporter William La Jeunesse and producer Mike Levine, but their emails showed up in a IG report regarding Fast and Furious. Either their emails were leaked by the Justice Department officials they were sent to, or the email accounts of both were subpoenaed and invaded by government investigators.
    The IG report does say that subpoenas were issued to obtain emails. Whose email was targeted is not yet known.
    The third staffer is reporter James Rosen. The Washington Post's story behind that is downright chilling. What we have here is a case of the Obama Administration criminalizing reporting.

    In June of 2009, James Rosen of Fox News reported that North Korea might respond to an increase in United Nations sanctions with even more nuclear tests. Rosen added that the CIA had learned this information from their sources within North Korea.

    According to the Washington Post, upon hearing learning of Rosen's report, the White House launched what many believe is an unprecedented leak probe that went so far as to criminalize standard news-gathering.

    Because the Justice Department believes the source of the leak to Rosen was Jin-Woo Kim, a government adviser, he is facing federal charges that could land him a 10-year prison sentence.

    But in their zeal to dig into reporter Rosen's part in this (and supposedly firm up their case against Kim), the Post reports that FBI agent Regineld Reyes claimed there was "evidence Rosen had broken the law, 'at the very least, either as an aider, abettor and/or co-conspirator.'”

    After building their case against Kim, the Obama administration then went after Rosen, using his badge to trace his whereabouts in the State Department. But they also wanted Rosen's emails. The Post writes that in order to do this, because of legal protections offered the media, the case had to be made that Rosen was a co-conspirator in a criminal conspiracy to leak national security secrets:

    Privacy protections limit searching or seizing a reporter’s work, but not when there is evidence that the journalist broke the law against unauthorized leaks. A federal judge signed off on the search warrant — agreeing that there was probable cause that Rosen was a co-conspirator.

    Rosen said the government never contacted him.

    The thing you have to keep in mind here is that if Kim and Rosen did what the Obama administration says they did -- it is something that happens almost every day between reporters and their sources. It is called everyday journalism; and the Obama administration is attempting to criminalize everyday journalism.

    If sources are not leaking information to journalists, what is the alternative? Well, the only alternative is that the media write what the government tells them to write.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by George Truett View Post
    Oops. Mitch McConnell supports the Obama Administration in this:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3302856.html

    Might want to do more checking with your allies before going on another cut and paste frenzy!
    OP concerns Fast and Furious, not the leaking of classified information by AP.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Osomalo View Post
    OP concerns Fast and Furious, not the leaking of classified information by AP.
    The point is that Republicans are hypocritical if they go after Obama for going after leaks. They've wanted crackdowns on leaks of classified information. In fact, they have accused Obama of leaking the info.

    It's been liberals who've been against these kinds of investigations.

    The problem is that Assassin just throws any kind of excrement he can against Obama. Consistency in attack isn't a concern. He just hates Obama. Never mind the contradictions and inconsistencies of his charges.

    Actually the OP is about classified info about N. Korea. I don't see anything about Fast and Furious.
    Last edited by George Truett; 05-21-13 at 11:26 AM.

  14. #14
    On another thread I have supported the AP investigation because it does involve our war on terror. The New York Times damaged our effort during Bush's tenure and the leaker should have been prosecuted.
    The Fast & Furious debacle did not concern terrorism.
    As I understand it, James Rosen, the Fox reporter, was publishing material about F&F. If I'm wrong please correct me.

  15. #15
    You are correct.
    It was all part of an investigation into a story Rosen did in 2009 about intelligence officials warning that North Korea was likely to respond to U.N. sanctions with more nuclear tests. Kim was one of 95 people who saw the intelligence report.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by George Truett View Post
    The point is that Republicans are hypocritical if they go after Obama for going after leaks. They've wanted crackdowns on leaks of classified information. In fact, they have accused Obama of leaking the info.

    It's been liberals who've been against these kinds of investigations.
    I'm sure you'll be outraged if Rosen is treated differently from AP reporters. That would be hypocritical

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,880
    My Mood
    Amused
    Fast & Furious would be protected under the whistleblower act, the journalist and anyone who gave him information did nothing wrong. Pushing guns into drug cartel hands does little to protect our national security, what the gov did was wreckless and got a lot of people in Mexico killed. The people deserve to know.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    35,479
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO '04 View Post
    Fast & Furious would be protected under the whistleblower act, the journalist and anyone who gave him information did nothing wrong. Pushing guns into drug cartel hands does little to protect our national security, what the gov did was wreckless and got a lot of people in Mexico killed. The people deserve to know.
    They would deserve to know if it were a Republican POTUS that furnished automatic weapons to the drug cartels. However it was a Democrat, so they have privelaged status.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts