+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Yeah, it has kind of an Oriental design to it. Back in the day, it was painted red or "redwood-ish". My grandparents said it was a restaurant called "Shangri-La".

The Turkey Stop was a Stuckey's back in the 70's. Place was a real dissappointment after reading all of those damn billboards on the way

Shorty's hamburgers!! I must have eaten 100 of those over the years.

Anyone ever go swimming at the Fish Pond?

Limited, Jandek, Camo08, Joe E. Tata, tenbear: I moved to Midway in '66 when I was in 5th grade. My teacher was Mrs. Curry, later jr. high librarian. My 6th grade teacher was Miss Sudbury, twin sister of Mrs. Ibsen. Mrs. Ballew's husband, Bennie, was high school principal my senior year. I did a pretty good vocal imitation of him, and he actually had me do the morning announcements one day to see if anybody would catch on. I portrayed Bennie in a skit at the "Senior Follies"; I slicked my hair back, wore glasses, baggy clothes, and carried a carton of Carlton cigarettes under my arm, with an unlit stoge dangling from my lips. The carton of Carltons was provided by Mr. Ballew himself; he had cartons stacked in his office! I still have the empty carton somewhere, packed away with other high school mementoes!

I went to school with Mrs. Remus' son, and I recently met Mrs. Bredthauer for the first time. She recognized my name because I had a younger brother and sister that she remembered. Don Taylor was one of my coaches; he coached the O and D lines. My senior year, he was FCA sponsor, and took us to Texas Stadium to see th Pro Bowl. We stayed at a Holiday Inn, and many of the players were staying there. Current BU receivers coach Harold Jackson, then with the Philadelphia Eagles, was staying right down the hall from us. Coach Taylor's son Doak was just a little kid then, and he got numerous autographs.

The mention of Jeff West's barber shop brought back memories of the "Roffler Cut". Jeff could smoke a cigarette, drink a Dr Pepper, talk to his girlfriend on the phone, and
    cut hair, simultaneously. After graduating, I can remember parading past the barber shop with my long hair and scruffy whiskers.

Mrs. Woolston's husband, Herb, ran Midway Pharmacy (where Eckerd's is now); they served some delicious burgers from the soda fountain area.

Whitetrash: I ate many a Burger Chef hamburger on Friday nights after Midway football games. Future McLennan County Tax Assessor-Collector Buddy Skeen, my shop teacher, ran the place. I also remember Sandy's...15 cents for a large hamburger!

Kodiak: B & B sporting goods is still around, but I believe they are strictly wholesale
    suppliers now. The basketball backboard and goal that was at my folks' house for years was a Christmas present from B & B.

Limited: What year did you graduate? I'm from the class of '73.

Everyone: Thanks for the memories...!

Lots of things mentioned have brought back many memories. I never lived in Waco until I started to Baylor in the summer of 1973, but my grandparents lived on New Road --just a stones throw from Molitors and Lions Park.

A few comments -

Chathams Drive In at Valley Mills and Waco Drive had that great sign of the fish flopping in the frying pan!

Don't forget about the individual drive thru teller booths at the Citizens National Bank! And anyone remember the Citizens billboard on Waco drive near the tennis center and how they would do a cartoonish Baylor football results sign thing? Update it every week based on the previous weeks results. This was in the early to mid 1960's.

No mention of the Hickory Stick. Now it has been mentioned. And the Black Angus. And Surf and Sirloin. And Waterworks.

Shortys (near the projects) was great. So was Lee's Drive Inn on Elm. It is still going! Great milkshakes!

A mention of S&H Green Stamps but no mention of Texas Gold or something like that.

And there were several Kim's Drive Ins. Even before Dan's Dairy Queens.

Remember when Poppa Rollos was in a strip center (Wesview Center) where Coldwell Banker / Jim Stewart Realtors and Synergy Bank is today. Oh, and Westview National Bank was there!

No mention of getting a milk shake at the old Circle Drug -- when it was on the circle near Health Camp. No one even mentioned Baylor Drug. I have a brick from when they tore it down. Remember the "Beat Texas" in the sidewalk? (I think that was it)

Anybody else go buy a loaf of unsliced bread from Mrs Bairds (or Rainbo) somewhere around the overpass on 18th and eat it all? (many times when pledging!) Usually late at night and they would put a hot loaf in a brown paper bag. It was great!

Anybody eat at the grill at the Goldsteins downtown. We took afternoon breaks there when I was working summers at Citizens National. And then the City of Waco made Austin Avenue a "pedestrian mall"--- what was that all about?

And A&W and the frosty mugs ---- frequented that place pretty often my early years at BU. Usually accompanied by a female. It was a pretty easy "quick date - get to know 'em" place.

Did you ever eat at Giovonis or The Smokehouse -- both were great -- in the strip center near Baskin Robbins off of Bosque? Giovonis moved into a bigger nicer building, but lost their quaintness and quality. I think Smokehouse became Uncle Dans and then he moved to his current location on Lake Air.

And the Smokehouse on 8th - behind Memorial and Dawson. I might have burned down more than once.

And a "before there time" Green House on Fifth. Later became Franks. Then maybe the Baylor DPS headquaters. Was near Baylor Records and Campus Pizza. And near Baylor Drug. And someplace where you could buy plaster stuff and paint it. The girls loved it!

Did you see "Young Frankenstien" at Ivy Square?

Remeber when Billy Vitek would cut you a steak? A grill was the best investment I ever made while at Baylor --- cooking at the Quad --- steak, baked potatoe, french style green beans with mushroom soup, salad ----soft music ------ a cheap date!

all good memories --- even the cheap dates!

5. You remember Julia and Nall Koch
    Actually, Julia and Nalle Cocke
    Did anyone know them when they were in their 20' or 30's?

Gosh, some interesting stories wrap around all of these entries.

Stache, I am kyle King, class of '79. Both my parents taught at Midway for a while. Ben King, high school algebra and calculas and Kay King, elementary.

The Turkey shop is still in Abbot.

The old Stuckeys is on the north bound side before you get to West.

The odd looking oriental building was a fancy Chinese eatery. My mother graduated from Baylor in 63 or 64. i was 3 or 4 and to celebrate Dad took her to that place. i remember there was a ball of green butter on the table and i thought it was ice cream and ate it. I will find out the name and add it when it comes to me. Dad said it was the Shangra La. He said he only went there once because it was way too expensive. $20 for two adults and two kids.
    Last edited by Limited IQ Redneck in PU; 09-02-04 at 06:53 PM.
    orangebear113
    Not sure why it took so long for so many to finally realize that Drew is a terrible terrible basketball coach... Drew coached basketball teams DO NOT GET BETTER..they get worse.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Dad always took me to Captain Billie Wizbangs. Double cheese burger and a bottle of Big Red.
    Only if it was the Captain Billy Whizbangs located off Waco Drive near the Skatin' Place and the Sherwood Forest and Holiday Inns...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ""we're going to do some things." - Kameron Martin

Missile, Turkey Shop was never a Stuckeys. There was a Stuckeys just north of Waco past the truck stop and then there was a Stukeys in Hillsboro at the I-35 & Hwy. 22 intersection. Truck stop is there now.
    Turkey Shop in Abbott was built and owned by the Tufft's family. Great food, ate there at least 3 times a week from '67 to '73.

At Tours road between West and Waco there was the Stuckeys and then just south of it was the Shangi La Restaurant.

The Gambler
    Last edited by The Gambler; 09-02-04 at 05:02 PM.

Gambler thanks for confirming that. I had always wondered about that old building there. I just thought no one knew what the hell I was talking about as to which building I meant.

When did that Stuckey's close?
    Last edited by KODIAK; 09-02-04 at 09:05 PM.

The one at Tours road probably closed about mid to late sixties and the one in Hillsboro
    closed around mid seventies I believe. Made the run from Waco to Hillsboro many times during the late sixties and early seventies. The last years had a '69 GTO, man that goat would not run great until you got it up to 80.
    By the way, anybody remember The Pit Stop the slot car racing center in Brookview Center at 34th & Bosque??

The Gambler

Mid to late 60s really? It is amazing that building is still there. Of course it is dilapitated as hell. As I said has been abandoned and run down since I first came to Central Texas in the early 80s.

My Mood
    Pensive
    The Stuckey's just north of West (famous for its Pecan Fried Chicken and its postcards of the Kennedy Assassination Site) was still open as of Jan. 1, 1975, because we had to stop there on the way to the BU-Penn St. Cotton Bowl because my mother forgot her scarf at home (and it was a cold windy day).

Closer to Hillsboro was a Nickerson Farms on the southbound side, and the Factory Store-Walnut Bowls near the Turkey Shop. It was amazing how quickly a building full of cheap walnut bowls went up in flames.

Stache--Miss Sudbury was my 7th & 8th grade English teacher at St. Louis in the early 70s. Drilled us for 2 years on diagramming sentences, but it led us to kick tail on the SAT a few years later. I think she later got her PhD and taught at Paul Quinn for several years.

Gambler--I vaguely remember the Pit Stop (but I was far more into Hot Wheels from Molitor's than slotcars). I got my hair cut at Mr. Bill's Barber Shop in Brookview until I was about 10 or 11.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by The Gambler
    Missile, Turkey Shop was never a Stuckeys. There was a Stuckeys just north of Waco past the truck stop and then there was a Stukeys in Hillsboro at the I-35 & Hwy. 22 intersection. Truck stop is there now.
    Turkey Shop in Abbott was built and owned by the Tufft's family. Great food, ate there at least 3 times a week from '67 to '73.

At Tours road between West and Waco there was the Stuckeys and then just south of it was the Shangi La Restaurant.

The Gambler
    My bad. I had to go to Dallas today and I actually paid attention to what was where. You are definitely correct

whitetrash: Miss Sudbury was obviously consistent; I also have memories of intensive sentence diagramming! She was tough---REALLY tough---but I made A's in English
    in high school, and had a minor in journalism combined with three semesters as a Lariat sportswriter at BU. I also remember her tests on the vertebrates and invertebrates. I was so pleased to make an A on the first test that I kept it, and still have it somewhere. I slipped a bit on the second test and made a C+...

The Gambler: The Pit Stop! I remember it well. Shortly after moving to Waco in '66, my dad would take my younger brother and I to The Pit Stop, and we always had a blast. One or both of our cars are still hiding away somewhere at my parents' house.

Limited: I figured you had to be somewhat close in age to me, judging by your comments about Midway/Woodway. Mystery solved...!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi
    I was reading the Midway thread on the Football boards, and I thought some of you who enjoyed the memories of Youngblood's and Leslie's would enjoy these Baby Boomer memories of Waco, Texas.

The website I got this from is: http://www.creativeplay.com/rhs/oldwaco.html

YOU’RE “OLD WACO” IF:

You went to a drive-in movie at The Circle, The Waco or even The Lake
    Air.
    Extra points if you remember “no one” ever went to The Joy.

Y

You didn't mention the Woodlawn Drive-In Theatre, near the Joy. By the way, whether you ever went or not, do you remember that the Joy had a 69cent carload night once a week. I always wondered about that.

Limited (P.S.): One Christmas in the early '70s, my dad felt that he and our family had been particularly blessed that year, and wanted to share those blessings with a needy family. He asked a man at church, a man whose job in the social service field put him in a position to know, if he could provide the name of family that could use some help at Christmas. I will never forget the looks of thanks, appreciation, and excitement on the faces of the family that the man had told my dad about. It really brought home the "true meaning" of Christmas, and that memory is still present over thirty years later. The man from church who provided my dad with the name of a needy family is your dad.

When I was a BU student, I was paired with another student to do a very thorough and inclusive paper in a Kinesiology/Physiology class. After compiling our research, we needed the final paper to be professionally typed, and we needed it ASAP. I contacted a lady I knew from church who did just that very thing. The woman who typed the paper for us is your mother.

I prefer to remain The Stache in cyberspace, so I will PM you as to the identity of my real world persona.

Bankerbear: Your post brought back many memories. I ate many a #7 "Texas Burger"
    at the Giovanni's/Smokehouse, and more than a few pizzas, too. The Smokehouse on the Baylor campus that you mentioned also had great burgers.

It was cool to see someone mention Baylor Drug, Campus Pizza, and Baylor Records.
    Baylor Records had a counterculture feel to it, and the dude that ran it was quite the hipster. I bought quite a few records there, new and used. A memorable
    highlight was the purchasing of, and subsequently listening to, "Trick of the Tail" by
    Genesis, their first album with Phil Collins on lead vocals.

Many a pizza found the way to my door at K-Mar Apartments, straight from Campus Pizza. Baylor Drug was a phenomenal place; a locally-owned, non-franchise, little-bit-of-everything store. If you looked around or dug deep enough, you could find products from bygone years, still in the original package with the original price, plus the accumulation of countless passing years of dust. I remember that there were some framed photos on the wall in the back, mostly of BU gridiron greats from yesteryear. There was also a photo of Bill Beall, Baylor's head coach from '69-'71. Written on the photo were the words "lest we not forget...", and the W-L record from those years. I think the name of the man who ran Baylor Drug was Roger Edens, and I think he was a Baylor grad. There was also an elderly gent that worked there, a grandfatherly guy that reminded me of veteran actor Burt Mustin (Gus the Fireman on "Leave It To Beaver").

I also remember the brick in front of the store that said "Beat Texas". We did, in '74, and what a victory it was. Now, it is A & M that we haven't beaten in ages.

Thanks for bringing up Baylor Records, Campus Pizza, and Baylor Drug. All three gave the Baylor campus a special flavor, and in the case of Baylor Drug, a very eccentrically
    quaint uniqueness.
    Last edited by The Stache; 09-03-04 at 12:38 AM.

Been reading Gambler's posts and he is correct as to where what was on I-35.
    1. Stuckey's Tours Road south of West
    2. Stuckey's Hillsboro @ Hwy. 22 goes to Hill Jr.
    3. Shangri La just south of the Stuckey's @ Tours Road
    4. Turkey Shop in Abbott was never in a Stuckeys building. Has been closed for a while now but talked with someone from Abbott the other day and was told that it will re-open again under new ownership.
    Nickerson Farm's was just north of Abbott where the Truck Stop is on the south bound side of the interstate.

Missile---Turkey Shop-a real dissapointment?? you must be talking about Stuckey's.
    I have never been dissapointed with the food at The Turkey Shop. Have eaten there many times when I was teaching in Hillsboro and kept stopping by after that either on the way to D-FW or on the way back home.
    The Pit Stop---Man what a great place- was the manager there from the beginning until I started teaching.

Oh, anyone here ever eat at the Chuck Wagon on 8th Street where the Spirit Shop is now?

Stache--correct on Roger Edens.

Travelingman

Thanks for the memories!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by travelingman; 09-03-04 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by travelingman
    1. Stuckey's Tours Road south of West
    3. Shangri La just south of the Stuckey's @ Tours Road

Missile---Turkey Shop-a real dissapointment?? you must be talking about Stuckey's.
    Correct. As I said, on yesterday's Dallas trip, I paid attention to where everything was and y'all are right. And yes, I meant that Stuckey's was the dissappointment.

Missile, that is what I was hoping you meant.

OK how many of you were in Baylor when during homecoming the streets were barricaded and order for you to get through you had to kiss the girl that was with you?

Traditions----where have they gone???????????????

Travelingman
    Last edited by travelingman; 09-03-04 at 08:53 AM.

When did Harliks close down? My brother has some good memories from that store.

Thread Information