+ Reply to Thread
    My Mood
    Cool

Baylor vs. Texas 1977

I am in the process of creating a DVD of the 1977 Baylor - UT game (transferred from Beta!)
    Chris Schenkel and Frank Broyles do the commentary.

Anyone interested in some ancient history? PM me.
    [IMG]http://i.*****.com/EDkQX95.gif[/IMG]

My Mood
    Cool
    Earl Campbell was a senior. Mike Singletary was a freshman. Greg Wood was the BU QB. Luke Prestridge, honored at halftime last Saturday, was the punter.

I watched that game on TV. I seem to recall that Earl Campbell was wearing tear-away jerseys and had to come off the field a bunch of times to change. Am I remembering that right?

My Mood
    Cool
    Yeah. I think he went through about 8 jerseys.

91Bear, check your PM's.

Where Do I Mail My Check?

I'll take one. I loved that game even though we got beat.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    That game probably made me piss myself.

Well, I was two years-old...

Ah, the old tear aways.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them. - Deuteronomy 7:1-2"

Was that the game where Wood was left motionless on the field forever? It was scary looking.

My Mood
    Cool
    Campbell too much to Bear

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/images/historical/1977_ansley_campbell.jpg

Dan Cook
    San Antonio Express-News
    November 20, 1977

AUSTIN - Mighty Earl Campbell stuck it to his fellow Baptists here Saturday but in the process he probably locked up the Heisman Trophy vote.

The great Texas back raced for 181 yards and one touchdown while leading the nation's top-rated Steers to a 29-7 triumph over Baylor, a win that clinched at least a share of the Southwest Conference title for Campbell and company.

Texas scored in every quarter but it wasn't as easy as the lopsided score might indicate. After charging to an early 19-0 advantage, Texas got stung by a slick piece of Baylor aerial trickery and the count stayed at 19-7 until late in the third.

It was a costly defeat for Baylor, a team that has been plagued by injuries at the key quarterback spot all season. Midway in the fourth, rear field general Greg Wood, just 5-11 and 169 pounds, was carried from the field on a stretcher, seeminglu suffering a serious neck injury.

Wood, while scrambling for six yards, got sandwiched - hard - by three Texas defenders, Lance Taylor, Mark Martigoni and Tim Campbell. Late Saturday night, Wood was being X-rayed and treated in Brackenridge Hospital here.

Campbell picked a fine time for such a performance, before 60,000 fans in Memorial Stadium and "regional" television cameras that covered 90 percent of the nation.

Also, this big effort came on the eve of voting for the coveted Heisman trophy award.

Earl, a devout Baptist who never misses Sunday worship, raced wide almost at will against Baylor to become the greatest ground gainer in Southwest Conference history. Earl already had the mark for collegiate career gains and Saturday his 181 pushed his single season total to 1,522.

And the powerful speedster still has one game to go, a showdown session with the Texas Aggies next Saturday in College Station. A victory there for the Steers would lock up a Cotton Bowl berth against Notre Dame. But should Aggies prevail next Saturday, they would still have to hurdle Houston the following week to beat Texas to Dallas on Jan. 2.

Either way, it now appears that the loser in College Station next Saturday will be invited to Houston's Bluebonnet Bowl.

Ted Costanzo, Texas' forgotten quarterback from San Antonio, used up a year's eligibility Saturday when he strolled out early in the first to handle the Steers' punting for the injured Russell Erxleben. Ted handled the chore well, too, everaging 39 yards on three kicks and in the fourth he tried his hand at quarterback once again.

In all, Texas used three signal-callers while recording a tenth straight win. Freshman Sam Ansley started by Randy McEachern, nursing an injury for the past few weeks, began to alternate at that position in the second half. Coach Fred Akers appeared to be getting his undefeated Steers ready for all emergencies next week against the Aggies.

Bumper stickers stating "Akers of Cotton" already can be seen around Austin but the last "acre" of cotton has yet to be picked. It waits in Aggieland.

Texas scored on its second possession Saturday, moving 40 yards in nine plays and Alfred Jackson got the points on a tricky, nine-yard end-around

Jackson, by the way, made five pass grabs for 87 yards, pushing his total to 1,409 on 67 receptions and that makes him the greatest receiver in Longhorn history.

Campbell personally handled the next Texas tally, a "drive" that consisted of two runs. Earl first dashed wide for 43 yards and then raced 25 yards for the touchdown. He never looked better but he did get excellent downfield blocking on both runs.

Early in the second, Texas got a Baylor fumble on the Bears' 23 and Ansley capped that short push with a one-yard sneak at the middle so, leading 19-0, it appeared that the Steer machine was going to crush the Bears with ease

But late in the second, Coach Grant Teaff pulled some razzle-dazzle that got Baylor's only score. It couldn't have worked better if the Bears had used mirrors and a trap door. There were more handoffs and ball juggling acts in the backfield than the old Ed Sullivan show had in a good month. But the end result was a 74-yard pass and run from Wood to Greg Hawthorne who was so lonely that one might suspect that he had dirty clothes and bad breath.

It was a complicated play and the Bears made it look easy. But when they tried it again in the third period they forgot how it worked and a three-yard loss resulted. Well, back to the drawing board.

Steve McMichael, who handled Erxleben's field goal kicking, popped a 21-yarder through in the third, making it 22-7.

The final Texas score came in the fourth on McEachern's 16-yard end zone pass, a lob job to the fleet Johnny "Lam" Jones.

So now, as usual, the Aggies are the Steers last big worry.

First downs: Baylor 10, Texas 25
    Rushes - yards: Baylor 40-50, Texas 72-310
    Passing yards: Baylor 132, Texas 124
    Passes: Baylor 6-16-1, Texas 8-14-0
    Punts: Baylor 6-48, Texas 3-39
    Fumbles - lost: Baylor 8-5, Texas 7-5
    Penalties - yards: Baylor 4-47, Texas 4-25

Individual Leaders:
    RUSHING Baylor: Blair 4-21 Texas: Campbell 30-181
    PASSING Baylor: Wood 5-14-1 104 yards, Smith 1-1-0 28 yards, Hawthorne 0-1-0 0 yards
    Texas : Ansley 1-6-0 4 yards, McEachern 7-8-0 120 yards
    RECEIVING Baylor: Davidson 3-36, Hawthorne 2-68
    Texas: Jackson 5-87, "Lam" Jones 2-33
    Last edited by 91Bear; 11-09-05 at 08:32 PM.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    The old SWC.

Shawn Bell had more attempts against Nebraska than were made in this entire ballgame in 1977.

How the game has changed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them. - Deuteronomy 7:1-2"

I assume that's Greg Hawthorne in the box score?

Who was in the backfield with Blair (? - don't remember him)? Pollard? Who were the WR's? Actually any starters would work - offense or defense.

Thanks 91Bear, received the DVD today. It's amazing to watch Ron Barnes, Greg Hawthorne, Arland Thompson, etc. play. Chris Schenkel (who just passed away) was the commentator for this game too.

My Mood
    Busy
    Both teams had a combined FIFTEEN fumbles? And lost TEN?

Definitely the 3 yards and cloud of dust days (with Earl it was more like 13 yards and a fist full of mesh jersey) when you're only making 14 pass attempts a game. Bet most of those came on third down and long too.

Thread Information