Aidoo

6,931 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by bear2be2
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any updates??
BearlyBeloved
Will Aidoo say "I do?"
TWD 1974
ScottS said:

Any updates??
I saw where he may be visiting North Carolina after his visit to Arkansas this week.
Crawfoso1973
BearlyBeloved said:

Will Aidoo say "I do?"

or "adieu"
longtimebear
Crawfoso1973 said:

or "adieu"

gobears20
Staff
IowaBear
Seemed fairly obvious when he didn't commit on his visit that he wasn't coming here.
IvanBear
IowaBear said:

Seemed fairly obvious when he didn't commit on his visit that he wasn't coming here.
But so many people told me he was for sure coming here and that the lack of commitments wasn't a bad sign.

Lets hope we're still in on Cliff O. I'd prefer him anyway.
IowaBear
Lack of commitments still isn't bad. If we don't get another in the next week or so I'll start to worry
Big12Fan2024
IvanBear said:

IowaBear said:

But so many people told me he was for sure coming here and that the lack of commitments wasn't a bad sign.

Lets hope we're still in on Cliff O. I'd prefer him anyway.
Not me. I told you Milicic was committing to Tennesse. And he did.

I told you Aidoo was ready to Arkansas before he even visited here. And he's going there.

I hate to tell you but Cliff will likely commit to Bama tonight or tomorrow. He's there today and they have a treasure chest of money waiting for him.
Quinton
The front court is empty. Concerning guys haven't run to lock down wide open starting spots.

Team needs at minimum two more high quality transfers. Wing and PF are empty as are the backup spots outside of projects.

Won't be contenders without shoring it up.
IowaBear
Omier… add him and we're a title contender
Quinton
IowaBear said:

Omier… add him and we're a title contender

Omier is a much better player than Aidoo. Don't think there is much of a chance of that but I agree. If it happened only KU could hang. Would still need to fill one more spot.

Omier isn't an ideal fit in this system but if they could get him you take the best available.
Quinton
Quinton
gobears20
Staff
I wonder if losing these assistants have set us back some?
Big12Fan2024
Better look for someone else. Omier was a Do Not Contact when he went into the portal. He originally had no intention of leaving Miami unless it was for the draft. It's been fairly well known that Pitino's NIL crew bought him which is why he entered the portal in the first place. He is not taking any visits.
IowaBear
He's not a perfect fit but he comes from a guard oriented system.
I was a huge fan of the 23 Miami squad (you know this) and he was the straw that stirred their drink.
He's probably a pipe dream. But getting him would imo solidify us as a title threat. Think we're a few notches below the title contenders as it stands
EvilTroyAndAbed
IvanBear said:

IowaBear said:

But so many people told me he was for sure coming here

Who?
Quinton
I agree St John's seems the landing spot. Running out of quality guys to bring this team to the next level. Not pessimistic yet but clear whiff in the last week.
TWD 1974
Quinton said:

The front court is empty. Concerning guys haven't run to lock down wide open starting spots.

Team needs at minimum two more high quality transfers. Wing and PF are empty as are the backup spots outside of projects.

Getting out-spent for a big some sources thought was ours is a bit jarring. It reopens the question as to whether we have the ammo to compete in the NIL space. We got a very good guard, but where Kansas and others are loading up with 5 players, we appear to be struggling to fill the roster. Is this why we lost 3 coaches, and why Drew almost left? Hopefully some big announcements will come and I will happily concede my overreaction.
BUCANDOIT82
If Drew were concerned about this he would have left for Kentucky. I believe he is being selective with who he wants to add.

Next year's roster doesn't need a playmaker or scorer, it needs roll players who can actually roll.
Jorkel
TWD 1974 said:

Quinton said:

Getting out-spent for a big some sources thought was ours is a bit jarring. It reopens the question as to whether we have the ammo to compete in the NIL space. We got a very good guard, but where Kansas and others are loading up with 5 players, we appear to be struggling to fill the roster. Is this why we lost 3 coaches, and why Drew almost left? Hopefully some big announcements will come and I will happily concede my overreaction.

Kansas, Arkansas, Kentucky also had money to spend because there was nobody on their rosters
IvanBear
Jorkel said:

TWD 1974 said:

Quinton said:

Kansas, Arkansas, Kentucky also had money to spend because there was nobody on their rosters
I've got news for you, going into transfer portal season outside of a one and done we also have no real quality starters on our roster.

We added Roach and swung and missed on a handful now.

Is it time to be concerned? Maybe. Love, Nunn, Josh O, and Wright are not guys who make us a top 25 team at the moment. The roster's situation is perilous until we land at least 2 more big fish. The good new is we're not the only roster like this right now, but we don't seem to be in on that many guys publicly right now and those other rosters need to be filled.

IvanBear
You, BleedGreen, and Bear2be2 a week ago were in denial when I said we are missing on a lot of our first choices in the portal.

We've landed Roach (who was NOT the first guy we seriously recruited although I do believe he had to be near top of our list) and no one else we've reached out to in the portal. Not much has changed since that last conversation except now the crystal ball (which moves at a glacial pace) agrees with what most people outside of this side of the board could see, Aidoo is not coming here.

We've landed one of 5ish guys we've publicly been associated with so far, that's called not landing your first picks.
beardoc
To Arkansas?

John Calipari Lands Star SEC Big Man Transfer (msn.com)
Quinton
We're entering danger zone. Still optimistic it works out bc I love the guard mix but it's getting more concerning relative to the conference.

Ku is loaded. Obviously ticked at their terrible (Ku's standard) year and are determined not to let it happen again. Only risk here is too many mouths to feed. They have the clear best roster .

Houston, while less talented, is returning multiple 27 yr olds. Sampson runs 5th yr seniors on the regular. Might fall back once Covid yr finally goes away but still here next year. Also kept all of their guys developing in their system. Not in high demand via portal but could have found landing spots.

Iowa St is also rolling out a gritty, bought in roster. High floor type team although the offense might be a question. Az always talented but unsure on them.

Need to step it up. Risk going from the only true threat to Ku to being leapfrogged by more coherent, organized programs. Again need two very good transfers to round it out. A first team mid major type is okay for one of those
IvanBear
Quinton said:

We're entering danger zone. Still optimistic it works out bc I love the guard mix but it's getting more concerning relative to the conference.

Ku is loaded. Obviously ticked at their terrible (Ku's standard) year and are determined not to let it happen again. Only risk here is too many mouths to feed. They have the clear best roster .

Houston, while less talented, is returning multiple 27 yr olds. Sampson runs 5th yr seniors on the regular. Might fall back once Covid yr finally goes away but still here next year. Also kept all of their guys developing in their system. Not in high demand via portal but could have found landing spots.

Iowa St is also rolling out a gritty, bought in roster. High floor type team although the offense might be a question. Az always talented but unsure on them.

Need to step it up. Risk going from the only true threat to Ku to being leapfrogged by more coherent, organized programs. Again need two very good transfers to round it out. A first team mid major type is okay for one of those
I dont' disagree.

Just throwing this out here because I don't expect to land Josh O. If Drew really really wants to compete the answer isn't go go for a talented bigman, it's to massively upgrade at the 2 position and the 4 position. Yes that probably runs off Nunn or Love (although that window closes soon). Another rock solid combo guard out on the court with Roach and Edgecome and then a good player at the 4 woudl allow us to be just fine with Josh O would at center.

That would give us the "ideal roster" I don't think it'll happen but that's the upgrade that puts us over Houston and competitive with KU.

bear2be2
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IvanBear said:

IowaBear said:

But so many people told me he was for sure coming here

Who?
Was wondering the exact same thing. I literally don't remember anyone saying that.
bear2be2
Quinton said:

I agree St John's seems the landing spot. Running out of quality guys to bring this team to the next level. Not pessimistic yet but clear whiff in the last week.
Schools have no control over portal recruiting. The ball is always in the player's court and money will be the deciding factor nine times out of 10.

We'll find some capable players to fill the roles we need filled. But difference-makers are always a crapshoot. All you can do is make your pitch and hope your NIL figure makes you competitive.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

You, BleedGreen, and Bear2be2 a week ago were in denial when I said we are missing on a lot of our first choices in the portal.

We've landed Roach (who was NOT the first guy we seriously recruited although I do believe he had to be near top of our list) and no one else we've reached out to in the portal. Not much has changed since that last conversation except now the crystal ball (which moves at a glacial pace) agrees with what most people outside of this side of the board could see, Aidoo is not coming here.

We've landed one of 5ish guys we've publicly been associated with so far, that's called not landing your first picks.
Feel free to quote my posts you're referencing here because I can guarantee they won't line up with the comments you've attributed to others above.

But I remain unworried. There are a ton of good players in the portal and we'll find some to fill our holes. Most of the best transfers we've had in the Scott Drew era were unheralded players. I couldn't give two ****s about 247 rankings on transfer portal guys. You'll know whether a guy can play or not by looking at his stats.
Quinton
I get what you mean but I don't trust the staff to be able to pull off some raw out talent type scheme.

That strategy would call for us to go all out for the Seton Hall transfer, pick up a filler guy and just roll the ball out there. Don't love that option.
IvanBear
Quinton said:

I get what you mean but I don't trust the staff to be able to pull some raw out talent type scheme.

That strategy would call for us to go all out for the Seton Hall transfer, pick up a filler guy and just roll the ball out there. Don't love that option.
I kinda think the Seaton Hall guy is not a fit as a combo guard need. He's a big skill overlap with Edgecombe. It needs to be another guy who can shoot the 3. This is of course assuming we run a scheme like the last few years which who knows if that's the case with Jakus gone.

Also, it doesn't have to be an out talent situation, it needs to be another solid ball handler that can shoot so we can get back to running triple headed threats from the guard position and not be totally dependent on one guard to run point. The problem with our two guards is Nunn is not a good ball handler, and Love is really good at iso but not distribution. Both of them would have to see a big change in one off season to become the type of 2 guard we really have been missing since 2021.
bear2be2
IvanBear said:

Quinton said:

I get what you mean but I don't trust the staff to be able to pull some raw out talent type scheme.

I kinda think the Seaton Hall guy is not a fit as a combo guard need. He's a big skill overlap with Edgecombe. It needs to be another guy who can shoot the 3. This is of course assuming we run a scheme like the last few years which who knows if that's the case with Jakus gone.

Also, it doesn't have to be an out talent situation, it needs to be another solid ball handler that can shoot so we can get back to running triple headed threats from the guard position and not be totally dependent on one guard to run point. The problem with our two guards is Nunn is not a good ball handler, and Love is really good at iso but not distribution. Both of them would have to see a big change in one off season to become the type of 2 guard we really have been missing since 2021.
Wright is going to be the second ball-handler. But Roach is going to play 30-plus minutes per game and will likely have a similar usage rate to RayJ, though he'll operate considerably differently.

Of all the needs we have, a third point guard is pretty low on the list. We need a 3-and-D wing and a big. Get both, and we'll be very competitive next year with the guard group we're already expecting on campus.
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

IvanBear said:

Quinton said:

Wright is going to be the second ball-handler. But Roach is going to play 30-plus minutes per game and will likely have a similar usage rate to RayJ, though he'll operate considerably differently.

Of all the needs we have, a third point guard is pretty low on the list. We need a 3-and-D wing and a big. Get both, and we'll be very competitive next year with the guard group we're already expecting on campus.

If Wright starts on this team there's no way we finish better than 3rd in the conference, and I would easily put us at like 5th or 6th overall in pre-season voting.

Wright needs to be an off the bench ball handler who's a starter next year and helps get us out of this rut of finding rental guards like Akinjo, George, and Dennis

Also, I have no problem with Roach playing 30 minutes a game, I expect it, but another combo guard would sure make this guard group look a hell of a lot better and not just a bunch of one skillset guys. Trying to roll out a similar looking set as last year is not going to get us anywhere.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.