Poll shows DeSantis and Haley would both perform better than Trump against Biden

26,935 Views | 550 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by boognish_bear
whiterock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Guy Noir said:

The_barBEARian said:

I'm a MAGA guy through and through, but I think speak for most when I say we all still like Ron. No bridges were burned.

His political star has been ascending for years now and he had to capitalize by running for President or risk fading into obscurity. He ran a fairly clean campaign and got out at the right time. He is still in a good place for 2028 unless Tucker decides to run.
Trumps VP would be the one in the drivers seat in 2028. That is, if Trump decides to relinquish office at that time.

I suggest you evaluate candidates with respect to qualifications and platform rather than classifying yourself as MAGA.
I agree with barBEARian re RDS.

You are also correct that a sitting VP is a very strong position from which to seek the nomination. But it does matter who is that VP. If it's Haley (most likely option at this time), then you would have very establishment/moderate VP "in line" to go next. The base, however you describe it - MAGA or traditional conservatives - will not be enthusiastic and will look for options. Enter RDS. That sets the stage for a very conventional establishment vs. base contest in the 2028 primary.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Mothra
Whoops! I thought Trump was our best hope!

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3889

As signs point to the 2024 presidential election being a repeat of the 2020 race between President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump, Biden holds a lead over Trump 50 - 44 percent among registered voters in a hypothetical general election matchup, according to a Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pea-ack) University national poll of registered voters released today.

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Mothra
Yup. About what I expect later this year.

SMH at those who think Trump is going to win this. It's as if they've been on another planet since 2016.
boognish_bear
Doc Holliday
This lunatic wants us to work until we die.

The fact that government even gets to decide when we retire is tyrannical. Only possible because of social security which is a failed entitlement program.
FLBear5630
Mothra said:

Whoops! I thought Trump was our best hope!

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3889

As signs point to the 2024 presidential election being a repeat of the 2020 race between President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump, Biden holds a lead over Trump 50 - 44 percent among registered voters in a hypothetical general election matchup, according to a Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pea-ack) University national poll of registered voters released today.

Dems showing GOP what they want to see. Biden wants Trump.
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

Guy Noir said:

The_barBEARian said:

I'm a MAGA guy through and through, but I think speak for most when I say we all still like Ron. No bridges were burned.

His political star has been ascending for years now and he had to capitalize by running for President or risk fading into obscurity. He ran a fairly clean campaign and got out at the right time. He is still in a good place for 2028 unless Tucker decides to run.
Trumps VP would be the one in the drivers seat in 2028. That is, if Trump decides to relinquish office at that time.

I suggest you evaluate candidates with respect to qualifications and platform rather than classifying yourself as MAGA.

You are also correct that a sitting VP is a very strong position from which to seek the nomination. But it does matter who is that VP. If it's Haley (most likely option at this time), then you would have very establishment/moderate VP "in line" to go next. The base, however you describe it - MAGA or traditional conservatives - will not be enthusiastic and will look for options. Enter RDS. That sets the stage for a very conventional establishment vs. base contest in the 2028 primary.

Name VPs that were successful Presidents? Biden and Bush. Every other VP lost and most can't even be remembered. Being Trump's VP did wonders for Pence. Harris is a shoo in, right? RDS and Haley are both better off not tying themselves to Trump.
KaiBear
FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Guy Noir said:

The_barBEARian said:

Name VPs that were successful Presidents?

Teddy Roosevelt.
FLBear5630
KaiBear said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Guy Noir said:

The_barBEARian said:

Teddy Roosevelt.
Big Teddy fan. Ever been to Sagamore Hill in Oyster Bay? Worth seeing.

We are going a bit far for that, over 100 years. Ok, I change my point.

We have not had a successful VP become President in over 100 years, why should DeSantis or Haley presume they will crack the mold?
whiterock
FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Guy Noir said:

The_barBEARian said:

Name VPs that were successful Presidents? Biden and Bush. Every other VP lost and most can't even be remembered. Being Trump's VP did wonders for Pence. Harris is a shoo in, right? RDS and Haley are both better off not tying themselves to Trump.
There have been 49 VPs. 12 of them (nearly a quarter) have become President: Addams, Jefferson, Van Buren, Tyler, Fillmore, Johnson, Arthur, Roosevelt, Coolidge, Truman, Nxon, Ford, Bush 41.

Some might point out that several on that list entered office upon death/resignation of the POTUS. I would respond - yes, that is the point! If you want to be POTUS, being VPOTUS is the catbird seat.

And if we add to the list the number of VPs who have received the Presidential nomination of their party, the list gets substantially longer. Sure, not all VPs who've gotten the nomination have gotten elected POTUS. But that's not the point - the nomination is the point. You have to get the nomination to have a chance to become POTUS. And being VPOTUS is the best inside-track you could have to get your party's nomination for POTUS. No other position is better. You have national rather than just statewide or regional connections. You have experience. You have had 4 years to stack the party with people loyal to you. The outgoing President's fundraising list is also YOUR fundraising list.

No one. NOT ONE of Trump's current or former primary opponent will turn down the offer to be VPOTUS nominee. Yeah, they'll posture that they'd never take it (for along list of reasons that benefit them while in campaign mode) but when the offer actually comes, they will take it. So would you. It's a no-lose proposition. If you win the election, you win and get the VP spot. If you lose the election, you've been showcasing yourself and have national name ID, as well as a scapegoat (the top of the ticket) to blame for the failure.

Trump critics always premise their argument with the "Radioactive Trump" fallacy. No one in their right mind would want to be associated with this guy. In fact, a nominee is a nominee, and a nominee always has a smorgasbord of willing partners eager to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency (see above.)
boognish_bear
He's probably not wrong

FLBear5630
whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Guy Noir said:

The_barBEARian said:

There have been 49 VPs. 12 of them (nearly a quarter) have become President: Addams, Jefferson, Van Buren, Tyler, Fillmore, Johnson, Arthur, Roosevelt, Coolidge, Truman, Nxon, Ford, Bush 41.

Some might point out that several on that list entered office upon death/resignation of the POTUS. I would respond - yes, that is the point! If you want to be POTUS, being VPOTUS is the catbird seat.

And if we add to the list the number of VPs who have received the Presidential nomination of their party, the list gets substantially longer. Sure, not all VPs who've gotten the nomination have gotten elected POTUS. But that's not the point - the nomination is the point. You have to get the nomination to have a chance to become POTUS. And being VPOTUS is the best inside-track you could have to get your party's nomination for POTUS. No other position is better. You have national rather than just statewide or regional connections. You have experience. You have had 4 years to stack the party with people loyal to you. The outgoing President's fundraising list is also YOUR fundraising list.

No one. NOT ONE of Trump's current or former primary opponent will turn down the offer to be VPOTUS nominee. Yeah, they'll posture that they'd never take it (for along list of reasons that benefit them while in campaign mode) but when the offer actually comes, they will take it. So would you. It's a no-lose proposition. If you win the election, you win and get the VP spot. If you lose the election, you've been showcasing yourself and have national name ID, as well as a scapegoat (the top of the ticket) to blame for the failure.

Trump critics always premise their argument with the "Radioactive Trump" fallacy. No one in their right mind would want to be associated with this guy. In fact, a nominee is a nominee, and a nominee always has a smorgasbord of willing partners eager to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency (see above.)
You are going to throw in Ford, Truman, Roosevelt, Johnson, Arthur and Coolidge? They became President after a President died or was forced to leave office. They were not elected. You really love paring the data to fit your beliefs. You should read "I was an Economic Hitman".

When you look at an apples to apples comparison, 7 of the 49 were able to become President THROUGH election as their Party's nominee. And since 1900, there have been 2, 3 if you include TR. If we were in the 1820's, your argument makes sense. In the modern era, there have been more that faded to obscurity than have risen to President.

In addition, you think being Trump's VP helps? Ask Pence. He is a pariah because Trump put him in positions that forced him to go against Trump.
Mothra
whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Guy Noir said:

The_barBEARian said:

There's nothing fallacious about it. One need look no further than how the MAGA candidates who kissed the ring in 2022 fared. There literally is no evidence whatsoever to support your position on this. Trump is indeed radioactive. It is why his cabinet members and his VP haven't gone on to bigger and better, and are pariahs at best nowdays, destined for appearances on Fox News from time to time, and that's about it. Even if Mike Pence had committed the anti-Democratic conduct Trump desired (and had not incurred Trump's wrath), do you really think he'd be close to sniffing the presidency? Of course he wouldn't.

The Trump taint is real. It's supported by ample evidence of how his former staffers have fared since 2020. You have literally no evidence to support your position on this one, and not a single one of your prediction since 2020 has turned out correct regarding Trump and his supporters. Literally the opposite of what you predicted has happen, so if anything, one can take your predictions, and realize just the opposite is going to happen.

You are going to be so disappointed in 2024 when you are proven wrong yet again.
Mothra
boognish_bear said:

He's probably not wrong

Recent polls suggest that a conviction is going to tank his presidency.

That of course won't prevent posters like whiterock from putting their faith in this re-tread loser.

MAGA is filled with a bunch of buffoons.
KaiBear
FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Guy Noir said:

The_barBEARian said:

Teddy Roosevelt.
Big Teddy fan. Ever been to Sagamore Hill in Oyster Bay? Worth seeing.

We are going a bit far for that, over 100 years. Ok, I change my point.

We have not had a successful VP become President in over 100 years, why should DeSantis or Haley presume they will crack the mold?

Also a huge Teddy fan.

Never been to Sagamore Hill, but it's in my wish list.
Been to his failed ranch in Dakota however.

George Bush was VP under Reagan and in my opinion was a successful president and quality individual.
FLBear5630
Mothra said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

whiterock said:

Guy Noir said:

The_barBEARian said:

There's nothing fallacious about it. One need look no further than how the MAGA candidates who kissed the ring in 2022 fared. There literally is no evidence whatsoever to support your position on this. Trump is indeed radioactive. It is why his cabinet members and his VP haven't gone on to bigger and better, and are pariahs at best nowdays, destined for appearances on Fox News from time to time, and that's about it. Even if Mike Pence had committed the anti-Democratic conduct Trump desired (and had not incurred Trump's wrath), do you really think he'd be close to sniffing the presidency? Of course he wouldn't.

The Trump taint is real. It's supported by ample evidence of how his former staffers have fared since 2020. You have literally no evidence to support your position on this one, and not a single one of your prediction since 2020 has turned out correct regarding Trump and his supporters. Literally the opposite of what you predicted has happen, so if anything, one can take your predictions, and realize just the opposite is going to happen.

You are going to be so disappointed in 2024 when you are proven wrong yet again.
Look at Kelly, Matis and McMasters. All done more than their share of serving, all left and all were told they were liberal, globalist by Trump.
4th and Inches
Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

He's probably not wrong

That of course won't prevent posters like whiterock from putting their faith in this re-tread loser.

at this point, not a single lawsuit looks on pace to finish before November..

People see the law suits for what they are.. all of them have had setbacks in Trumps favor recently.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
FLBear5630
4th and Inches said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

He's probably not wrong

People see the law suits for what they are.. all of them have had setbacks in Trumps favor recently.
I agree that the important ones won't finish by November. Trump, if he wins, will sweep them away.

There is a significant portion of the population that see the lawsuits as warranted. Unfortunately, they come from a Party that outnumbers the GOP. I don't know what circles you run, but in day to day life I meet more people not liking Trump than liking him. Many are only voting for him because there is no choice. Not a very stable place to be.

But we will see.
Sam Lowry
FLBear5630 said:

4th and Inches said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

He's probably not wrong

There is a significant portion of the population that see the lawsuits as warranted.
A majority, actually.
boognish_bear
Nikki made an appearance on SNL last night

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Whiskey Pete
FLBear5630 said:

4th and Inches said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

He's probably not wrong

I agree that the important ones won't finish by November. Trump, if he wins, will sweep them away.

There is a significant portion of the population that see the lawsuits as warranted. Unfortunately, they come from a Party that outnumbers the GOP. I don't know what circles you run, but in day to day life I meet more people not liking Trump than liking him. Many are only voting for him because there is no choice. Not a very stable place to be.

But we will see.
Democrats don't outnumber the GOP. They're roughly the same:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/467897/party-preferences-evenly-split-2022-shift-gop.aspx
FLBear5630
Whiskey Pete said:

FLBear5630 said:

4th and Inches said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

He's probably not wrong

But we will see.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/467897/party-preferences-evenly-split-2022-shift-gop.aspx

Looks like everything is lining up. Only 4th time since 1991 GOP has more registered voters. Should be no excuses for a clean sweep.
Realitybites
FLBear5630 said:

Ask Pence. He is a pariah because Trump put him in positions that forced him to go against Trump.

Pence has been a pariah since he was the governor of Indiana and surrendered to the now-irrelevant NCAA on the ****** issue. He was a poor choice for VP. One of the valid criticisms of Trump is that his personnel choices have often been subpar. I chalk this up to his being a boomer as that generation - steeped as it was in America's greatness - has a really difficult time grasping how bad things have gotten.
FLBear5630
Realitybites said:

FLBear5630 said:

Ask Pence. He is a pariah because Trump put him in positions that forced him to go against Trump.

Pence has been a pariah since he was the governor of Indiana and surrendered to the now-irrelevant NCAA on the ****** issue. He was a poor choice for VP. One of the valid criticisms of Trump is that his personnel choices have often been subpar. I chalk this up to his being a boomer as that generation - steeped as it was in America's greatness - has a really difficult time grasping how bad things have gotten.

Being a Boomer has nothing to do with it, but I do agree he was a bad choice.

As for how bad it is, part of that is expectations. Expectations of the younger generations are much higher, or unrealistic depending on how you look at it, than past generations.

I see a lot of younger people with cars, going on vacations, and other things that took my wife and I 20 years to achieve. Flying a family of five on a vacation to Hawaii? For the first 20 years vacations were car trips to visit family The number of young people flying? I ask every time I travel how can they afford that at 32? If it wasn't work, flying was a special occasion. Wanting to live in a certain City. We went where the work was until we could get to where we wanted. Now people just won't move.

But that is a different conversation. Making poor personnel decisions is not a "Boomer" thing, pretty much all generations do that.
Whiskey Pete
FLBear5630 said:

Whiskey Pete said:

FLBear5630 said:

4th and Inches said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

He's probably not wrong

But we will see.

Looks like everything is lining up. Only 4th time since 1991 GOP has more registered voters. Should be no excuses for a clean sweep.
Didn't say your boogey man would win, just merely pointed out that you weren't right.
Mothra
Whiskey Pete said:

FLBear5630 said:

Whiskey Pete said:

FLBear5630 said:

4th and Inches said:

Mothra said:

boognish_bear said:

He's probably not wrong

But we will see.

Didn't say your boogey man would win, just merely pointed out that you weren't right.
Yes, you wouldn't want to go so far as making THAT prediction...
Porteroso
boognish_bear said:

He's probably not wrong

While normal people will vote less for a convicted felon, guess what zealots will do? Yeah I see your point.
Mothra
Porteroso said:

boognish_bear said:

He's probably not wrong

While normal people will vote less for a convicted felon, guess what zealots will do? Yeah I see your point.
Polls show it will hurt him immensely with the moderates and independents he will need to win this election. And therein lies the problem. The MAGA crowd would vote for him if he killed a family of four. It's not their votes he sorely lacks.
Realitybites
Quote:

I see a lot of younger people with cars, going on vacations, and other things that took my wife and I 20 years to achieve. Flying a family of five on a vacation to Hawaii? For the first 20 years vacations were car trips to visit family The number of young people flying? I ask every time I travel how can they afford that at 32? If it wasn't work, flying was a special occasion. Wanting to live in a certain City. We went where the work was until we could get to where we wanted. Now people just won't move.

Don't confuse the rise of SINK/DINK Epicureans with a stable society, prosperity, or a future.

America is doomed as a nation because it lacks the basic fundamentals of a successful one: a secure border, a stable currency, a shared language, and a shared culture. We had those things once.

Things are deteriorating to the point that I recommend learning a second language to accurately discuss ideas free of political correctness and have accurate sources of information.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.