Football
Sponsored by

Voters in Prosper reject bond proposal for new $94 million stadium

5,570 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by Waco1947
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not 100% sure....but I'm guessing this would have been the most expensive high school football stadium in the country.

boognish_bear
Well…the decision may actually not be official yet.

Married A Horn
HEB ISD passed their Billion Dollar bond... i think my property taxes just went up $1,000.

We will likely move after our sophomore graduates.
thales
talk about misplaced priorities
i would have voted against that stadium bond too
blackie
There really are no words for the misplaced priorities in this incessant fixation on high school venues....mostly driven by adult egos. We have a situation where teachers are grossly underpaid for what they have to deal with and have to put up with from both their administration and the parents and rural school districts are fighting for their financial existence. And they want people to direct money to this ****.

It is almost as bad as the pay for university head coaches compared to the people in the classrooms that are trying to lead students into careers from which we all could benefit. Schools at both levels are getting further and further away from what their mission is suppose to be. And now with NIL, donors are directing money away from the academic areas of the university to go buy players so that they can brag to their peers about how good their team has become. This is insanity.
Mitch Blood Green
Married A Horn said:

HEB ISD passed their Billion Dollar bond... i think my property taxes just went up $1,000.

You probably can't out run it in North Texas.
Redbrickbear
blackie said:

There really are no words for the misplaced priorities in this incessant fixation on high school venues....mostly driven by adult egos. We have a situation where teachers are grossly underpaid for what they have to deal with and have to put up with from both their administration and the parents and rural school districts are fighting for their financial existence. And they want people to direct money to this ****.

It is almost as bad as the pay for university head coaches compared to the people in the classrooms that are trying to lead students into careers from which we all could benefit. Schools at both levels are getting further and further away from what their mission is suppose to be. And now with NIL, donors are directing money away from the academic areas of the university to go buy players so that they can brag to their peers about how good their team has become. This is insanity.

Agree,

I like nice high school facilities...but $50 million, $60 million, $90 million dollar stadiums? This is ridiculous and totally unnecessary
Guitarbiscuit
boognish_bear said:

Well…the decision may actually not be official yet.

I don't know, but a 54 pct against vote is a pretty solid rejection in voting circles and a result that is unlikely to be reversed on recount or by examining hanging chads. If I would have lived there, I would have voted against it too, and I regard myself as a moderate football fan.
Guitarbiscuit
Married A Horn said:

That sucks if this results in a 1k property tax increase. I bet most of the voters for it were living in apartments.
Team America
blackie said:

I agree with you on building these high-dollar stadiums. However, bonds cannot be passed for maintenance and operations (I.e. teacher salaries).
Harrison Bergeron
blackie said:

100%. It's crazy all the turfed fields for every sport, practice facilities, etc., in addition to the stadiums.
Doc Holliday
The actual real problem is the contractors that quoted the build price are charging WAYYYY more than they need to.

Its a racket.
Dia del DougO
Doc Holliday said:

The actual real problem is the contractors that quoted the build price are charging WAYYYY more than they need to.

Its a racket.
Yep, pretty much like everything governments pay for with our money.
TenBears
People are waking up. Why not save 90% and do a 9mm bond election to raise teacher salaries?
Team America
Doc Holliday said:

Its a racket.

1000000000% this. Contractors see government job and jack up the price.
Team America
TenBears said:

People are waking up. Why not save 90% and do a 9mm bond election to raise teacher salaries?

Again, bonds cannot be used to raise teacher salaries.
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

Its a racket.

Total scam.

A great quality high school stadium that seats 18,000 or less can easily be built for $25 million or less

https://www.mrt.com/sports/highschool/article/Most-expensive-high-school-football-stadiums-Texas-13145194.php

My high school built a new one in 2000 that seats 8,000 and I will have to ask my dad how much it cost but from what I can remember it was under $8 million.
Big guy
Rejected of not, beware of "gotta have it" school boards to find a way thru creative financing.
TenBears
Team America said:

TenBears said:

There lies the problem.
Mitch Henessey
Team America said:

TenBears said:

Maybe not in TX. Colorado just passed a school bond with the specific intent to raise teacher salaries.
jumpinjoe
Prosper a few years back approved a bond package that recently built a new high school and a $60 million stadium on its campus.

With its projected growth, this package is to provide a second high school for the town along with a new on campus stadium with price tag of $120mm. It did not pass.

This will find itself back to the voters within a year or so for the new high school.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Dia del DougO
TenBears said:

Team America said:

TenBears said:

There lies the problem.
Students have NIL now, maybe teachers should go that route...besides the ones that have onlyfans sites.
atomicblast
Sheesh $100 million with over runs if it had gone through! And only seats 8,000? Crazy, we got McLane for $250 million and now even that nowadays would be closer to $500 million going by Northwestern's project.
Dia del DougO
Maybe they could get Kim to chip in a couple million and put her name on it.
boykin_spaniel
Ridiculous. High schools don't need nine figure stadiums. Good on the voters. Unfortunately Nashville passed the Titans billion dollar monstrosity. No economist, unless hired by a team/school, has said these expensive stadium projects make sense. They always just cost the tax payer. Throw in interest rates today and what is Prosper thinking? Educate the kids… sports is part of that education but there's nothing wrong with some old school bleachers.
blackie
jumpinjoe said:

Prosper a few years back approved a bond package that recently built a new high school and a $60 million stadium on its campus.

With its projected growth, this package is to provide a second high school for the town along with a new on campus stadium with price tag of $120mm. It did not pass.

This will find itself back to the voters within a year or so for the new high school.
So what they were saying is that each school has to have its own stadium? Even as football crazy as Plano was back in their hay day all three high schools used the same stadium.
thales
boykin_spaniel said:

Ridiculous. High schools don't need nine figure stadiums. Good on the voters. Unfortunately Nashville passed the Titans billion dollar monstrosity. No economist, unless hired by a team/school, has said these expensive stadium projects make sense.
agreed

i have never understood why people would agree to be taxed so that billionaires (owners) and millionaires (players) can make more money

the argument is always put out there (by those that will profit from it of course) that these stadium projects bring jobs and income to the city but that is just plain old bull poop

there is not one publicly funded pro stadium that has provided a positive net value for the city or its citizens
TTAY24
blackie said:

jumpinjoe said:

So what they were saying is that each school has to have its own stadium? Even as football crazy as Plano was back in their hay day all three high schools used the same stadium.

No, there were 2 high schools in Prosper. Maybe you're talking way back in the day, but Plano has 2 stadiums for 20 years (and Plano West, the 3rd HS, opened around 2000 or so).

This year in Prosper there's a third that just opened, and next year (or maybe it's the year after), there will be a fourth. The new stadium is going to be necessary, not sure how you can have 4 HS's share 1 stadium
ScottS
TTAY24 said:

blackie said:

jumpinjoe said:

No, there were 2 high schools in Prosper. Maybe you're talking way back in the day, but Plano has 2 stadiums for 20 years (and Plano West, the 3rd HS, opened around 2000 or so).

This year in Prosper there's a third that just opened, and next year (or maybe it's the year after), there will be a fourth. The new stadium is going to be necessary, not sure how you can have 4 HS's share 1 stadium

Keller has 4 high schools and 1 stadium. It forces Thursday and Saturday games.
boykin_spaniel
A lot of the jobs they brag about creating are minimum wage part time jobs selling overpriced concessions. Construction is good pay but those jobs done are once the stadium is built
thales
exactly

it is nothing but a transfer of wealth (the taxes) from the average joe to the super rich

sports are a unique business - people have pride and allegiances to their teams and emotions can often separate people from their money
LIB,MR BEARS
Team America said:

blackie said:

I agree with you on building these high-dollar stadiums. However, bonds cannot be passed for maintenance and operations (I.e. teacher salaries).
In addition, items passed by bond are exempt from Robin Hood.

Under Robin Hood the wealthy districts must have matching funds going to the poor districts.
LIB,MR BEARS
Team America said:

TenBears said:

Can a bond be used for teacher bonuses or stipends?
jumpinjoe
thales said:

boykin_spaniel said:

Ridiculous. No economist, unless hired by a team/school, has said these expensive stadium projects make sense.
agreed

the argument is always put out there (by those that will profit from it of course) that these stadium projects bring jobs and income to the city but that is just plain old bull poop

there is not one publicly funded pro stadium that has turned a profit for the city or its citizens

Perhaps you should look to see how the Arlington stadiums have turned out.

First, the Ballpark at Arlington, now called Choctaw Stadium, was built with Arlington bonds and the bonds were paid off early through sales tax dollars that not only Arlington voters paid but also visitors who spent dollars here.

Second, ATT stadium was built with Arlington bonds yet its the additional tax on tickets that is reducing the bond debt and not citizen taxes.

Third, the baseball venue that looks like a county livestock barn was built with Arlington bonds and it too will be paid off by the additional tax on tickets.

The economic benefit to Arlington is significant and is the driving force behind the private investments made in the entertainment and the resurgence to old neighborhoods around them.

I beg to differ with you about the benefit to a city's populace.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
LIB,MR BEARS
jumpinjoe said:

thales said:

boykin_spaniel said:

Ridiculous. No economist, unless hired by a team/school, has said these expensive stadium projects make sense.
agreed

there is not one publicly funded pro stadium that has turned a profit for the city or its citizens

Perhaps you should look to see how the Arlington stadiums have turned out.

First, the Ballpark at Arlington, now called Choctaw Stadium, was built with Arlington bonds and the bonds were paid off early through sales tax dollars that not only Arlington voters paid but also visitors who spent dollars here.

Second, ATT stadium was built with Arlington bonds yet its the additional tax on tickets that is reducing the bond debt and not citizen taxes.

Third, the baseball venue that looks like a county livestock barn was built with Arlington bonds and it too will be paid off by the additional tax on tickets.

The economic benefit to Arlington is significant and is the driving force behind the private investments made in the entertainment and the resurgence to old neighborhoods around them.

I beg to differ with you about the benefit to a city's populace.
Blue stars for the livestock barn comment
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.