Football
Sponsored by

Quotes and updates from Spring football

13,405 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by boognish_bear
ImABearToo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Traylor and Spavital together would be interesting.
Mr Tulip
Herman had a couple of operational drawbacks when coaching at Texas:
1) He thought imitating Urban Meyer would make his teams disciplined and tough like Meyer's teams were. Herman tried being an unlikable, tough jerk like Meyer. That worked for Meyer because he really is an unlikable jerk. The kids respected that. Herman just came off as a putz that alienated everyone.

2) He had a really thin Rolodex. A head coach is only as good as his position coaches. Herman just didn't have a deep enough history to make phone calls and get answers. The prestige and promise of Texas brought in better than expected names, but the overall hiring scheme lacked cohesion. No one got along, and the units never meshed.

Perhaps he's grown since then, and can lead a team as himself. He was never really ready to coach Texas, and got the job mostly because LSU was needing a coach, and Texas didn't want to be late pulling the trigger. Maybe he's grown since then.
TeamPlayer
Mr Tulip said:

Herman had a couple of operational drawbacks when coaching at Texas:
1) He thought imitating Urban Meyer would make his teams disciplined and tough like Meyer's teams were. Herman tried being an unlikable, tough jerk like Meyer. That worked for Meyer because he really is an unlikable jerk. The kids respected that. Herman just came off as a putz that alienated everyone.

2) He had a really thin Rolodex. A head coach is only as good as his position coaches. Herman just didn't have a deep enough history to make phone calls and get answers. The prestige and promise of Texas brought in better than expected names, but the overall hiring scheme lacked cohesion. No one got along, and the units never meshed.

Perhaps he's grown since then, and can lead a team as himself. He was never really ready to coach Texas, and got the job mostly because LSU was needing a coach, and Texas didn't want to be late pulling the trigger. Maybe he's grown since then.
Admittedly, I've got a little bit of an advantage on this topic, and you've made some very accurate points. I wonder if I know who you are . . .

Anyway, a lot of "ifs" with Herman. If he can finally grow up, he could have a long run of successful years ahead of him. Kiffin went through the pinnacle, rehab, FAU, restoration process, so I'm wondering if Tom Herman could do the same.

Mack knows everything there is to know about Tom Herman. That could give Herman an edge next fall or completely eliminate him from our process.
boognish_bear
Good sign

boognish_bear
DocCrowl
guadalupeoso said:

TeamPlayer said:

ALLBEAR said:

TeamPlayer said:

The most important task this spring football is for Mack to look for a new coach. I assume he's already been in touch with Jimmy Sexton Trace Armstrong and other agents that have an inventory of coaches. Donors will need to step up. Yet again.
100%. Running it back with Aranda was a brain dead decision
I don't think anyone wanted to keep him. At least now Mack has 6 months to cultivate donors to help with the buyout. Plant the seed now in the event this thing gets ugly in September.

An off-the-wall name to keep in mind would be Tom Herman. If he can vault FAU to 7-8 wins this season, keep himself under control, show that he's matured and not act like a jackass, he could be a really good hire.
Plus, Herman already has a relationship with Mack (not saying that that is a positive thing, it just makes it more likely he'll be considered) and is very familiar with the recruiting landscape in Texas. Most fans would hate this hire, but I would be ok with it. I think it would establish a high floor (6 wins) for this program. We desperately need some consistency. And while idk if Tom Herman would have us consistently competing for Big 12 championships, I do think he would have us consistently bowl eligible, which in my mind is the minimum for staying on as head coach at Baylor.
Count me out for this goofball, the guy can't hold his tongue OR his sledgehammer

boognish_bear
Does Aranda have any connections left at LSU?

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
ImABearToo
Ok, where's our Dave? What did y'all do with him?
Daveisabovereproach
boognish_bear said:

As always with Dave, it is taking him far too long to figure out basic attributes of a successful head coach. Like, when I played, I didn't have a single coach that wouldn't get pissed if you caused a penalty or consistently failed to execute. I'm glad that Dave is trying new things, but this is basic stuff. And didn't the old defensive coordinator that went to Auburn get forced out for getting pissed off too much?
ZachTay
Just simply way too soft. Was from Day One and still remains too soft to be a D-I major program head coach. What a huge swing and miss of a football head coach hire by Mack Rhoades.
ALLBEAR
I feel like he is saying a lot of the same things he has the last few years...
Wacoraisedbear
Sic 'em Dave!
boognish_bear
ALLBEAR said:

I feel like he is saying a lot of the same things he has the last few years...

Yep....last Spring he told us he realized he'd been too soft on the players and was changing his approach.
Bobsyouruncle
I'd like to get excited about Spavital spreading things out… but there's a part of me that thinks this offense may put the defense on the field even more than that last one did, and that we may see a cascading series of failures up the middle with no interior DL depth.

There's no Andrew Billings there to eat up 60 DT snaps a game.
ImABearToo
Anxious to see if the Spring game gives us any hope or if same song fifth verse.
canoso
ImABearToo said:

Anxious to see if the Spring game gives us any hope or if same song fifth verse.
Look at the number, and kinds, of mistakes, both on offense and defense, but especially the latter. That'll tell us, regardless of what is said.
boognish_bear
Reese set the kick return bar pretty high in our last game last year

boognish_bear
BBWCBear
boognish_bear said:

Blah, blah, blah… you know, blah, blah, blah… you know, more of the same blah, blah.
Porteroso
No Quarterback said:

ALLBEAR said:

All of the same hyper every year... sigh

The stuff he is saying about Spavital is exactly what he said about Mateos and Grimes. 'Swagger' and 'good at explaining things'

Is the guy who fired our winningest ever QB still running things? I'm sorry but until that changes, 0 faith.
BBWCBear
Nothing SAID matters. The play on the field in early September will tell one all they'll need to know.
Daveisabovereproach
Porteroso said:

No Quarterback said:

ALLBEAR said:

All of the same hyper every year... sigh

The stuff he is saying about Spavital is exactly what he said about Mateos and Grimes. 'Swagger' and 'good at explaining things'

Is the guy who fired our winningest ever QB still running things? I'm sorry but until that changes, 0 faith.

And the replacement didn't work out either
boognish_bear
Wonder what his role is exactly now?

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Obviously want the best player to be QB1… But I will be shocked if it's not Finn

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
LTBear19
I hope it works out well, but does this sound like it has the potential to be a "clashing of personalities' situation?
jikespingleton
LTBear19 said:

I hope it works out well, but does this sound like it has the potential to be a "clashing of personalities' situation?
Nah. Just keep a good stock of cheeseburgers and towels and fatterson will hum along
Aliceinbubbleland
ImABearToo said:

But larger players it sounds.
Are they fast or slow?
BBWCBear
LTBear19 said:

I'll never be comfortable with this "addition" to the coaching staff. I'll always be suspicious of intent. I just don't trust the guy. Probably a "clash" at the most inopportune time of the Season... if there is an Inopportune Time, assuming we move from one win to possibly more.
DocCrowl
BBWCBear said:

LTBear19 said:

I'll never be comfortable with this "addition" to the coaching staff. I'll always be suspicious of intent. I just don't trust the guy. Probably a "clash" at the most inopportune time of the Season... if there is an Inopportune Time, assuming we move from one win to possibly more.
I think of it the opposite way. He was spurned by where he thought he would retire from, the place that built him a statue. So now he's on a tour of other schools that play them, pumping up their defenses, while TCU continues to pay him the remainder of his contract.

He gets to do what he loves, is paid better than these schools would otherwise pay him, and get back at TCU. UT benefitted from it last year, now it's our turn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.