Midway ISD facing 5.5 million dollar budget deficit

18,238 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by chrisbyrum
RightRevBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bear Doc said:

forza orsi said:

hill02 said:

What he said above.

Property valuations have skyrocketed and MCAD takes zero responsibility.

What percentage have the annual MISD total budget increases been on average for the last 5-10 years?

That would provide a lot of clarity.

You can't just look at total budget dollars. The total enrollment of MISD is up about 20% from 2012-2022, from 7,266 to 8,739. New students = more schools, more teachers, more support staff. Then general US inflation is up 27.5% from 2012 to 2022.

For the fiscal year ending August 2012, the MISD budget was $53.7 million. If you apply the 10 year student enrollment growth rate and inflation to that you get $82.7 million. The budget for the fiscal year ending August 2022 was $75.3 million, less than that calculation above. That's not a perfect measuring stick and I'm sure there are places to improve efficiencies, but the budget dollars per student have gone down on an inflation-adjusted basis. I'm all in for cutting waste, but the budget growth in the district doesn't seem out of line.

Theoretically if the enrollment grows by 20%, then the tax base should grow by 20% as well offsetting that aspect.

Cannot argue about the inflationary issues though. That is a problem in every area or society.

Everything is going up except our salaries.
hill02
The 2022 $75 million number does not include debt service of $19 million right?

What was debt service in the first year of your comparison?
MrGolfguy
I repeat.....

Midway sucks
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
forza orsi
hill02 said:

The 2022 $75 million number does not include debt service of $19 million right?

What was debt service in the first year of your comparison?

You're correct that the $75M doesn't have the debt service in it. 2012 had $7M principal and $3.3M interest for debt service of $10.3. 2022 had $9.8m principal and $7.8M interest for debt service of $17.6M. I think your $19M figure comes from the 2022-2023 budget. That fiscal year isn't over yet and it's harder to access details. I stopped with the 2022 because if was the last full year financial statement.

If you start instead with a $64M budget, including debt service, and apply the same enrollment growth and price inflation factors, you get to $98.6M. If you take the $75.3M budget and add principal and interest of $17.6M, you get to $92.9. So it looks like debt service increases $7.3M total between the two. Adding debt service both places seems to get you to about the same place for total expenditures. It gets a little fuzzy when you include the principal part of the payments to the expenditures since mostly the bonds are issued for permanent improvements and theoretically adds to net asset value. In a pure cash analysis the value of the real estate acquired and constructed is essentially treated as having no value.
BearConvert
WARNING: Cathartic rant ahead. Tl;dr advisory in place.

No doubt, there's plenty of blame to go around. Previous superintendent spent money on things that he thought would make MISD (and him) a star for the state (Can't really blame him, we all do it, right?). The problem is he overstaffed the central office with unqualified, and often useless, administrators who created crap to justify their bloated salaries and spent money on bright and shiny accoutrements (e.g., ipads) . Head of HR had a tenuous relationship with honesty, but was politically connected, so things rarely changed. The board was toothless unless you attacked the district or leadership. Some of the recent additions have made a valiant effort to make a difference, and who knows, maybe they have. Enter the new superintendent who has made some reductions at the top and seems to be trying to right a ship that's been listing for more than a few years.

Then there's the stakeholder responsibility. Most did/do not attend board meetings, abdicating their voice in the decision making of the district. Things go sideways and then they get up in arms. Of course, if you are too loud of a critic, then you and your family are ostracized. And folks, parents have always had a right to be involved in their kid's education. Most, if any , limits on that have generally been in response to matters of school safety or legislation. Speaking of which…

Then there's my favorite scapegoats: the policymakers Our governor and legislators have weaved a quaint narrative about the failure of public education, with the hopes that no one thinks for a half a second and realizes who has created the mess: politicians from both sides of the aisle. They who hold all the cards make all the rules. Once politicians started working to minimize local control, it was all downhill from there. Toss in a few wealthy donors and special interest groups and you have a recipe for ****e Soup that constituents feast on because they want their team to win instead of recognizing both teams are equally guilty. It's nothing new. The game has been played throughout history. Despite what we hope, much of what gets passed is not "for the greater good." It's padding someone's pockets. Does good come, absolutely! But rarely without a much greater benefit for those at the top of the food chain.

Did I hit on all the contributing factors? Absolutely not. As I said, there's plenty of blame to go around. How do we fix it? Not sure we can at this point. So, eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die!

Peace.
BaylorGuy314
Moondoggie said:

Wife was teacher of the year at probably one of the most challenging Waco ISD campuses. We moved her to Midway thinking that would be the end-all-be-all.

It has not been that. VERY backwards instructionally speaking compared to Waco ISD. I'm talking a decade behind waco isd and even a small school district she started at in falls county. Her hands are tied in the classroom and the challenges of zero parental involvement have been replaced by the annoyance of know-it-all helicopter parents in some cases.

But all of this could be remedied by one thing…l pay her what she is worth. Midway used to match waco isd but now does not, and now Midway ISD has a ton of unnecessary turnover. Raise the taxes a tad. Our future generation is worth it.

The four day school week schedule would be a PITA of enormous proportions for our family, personally. I know I may be in the minority but I hate it.

My solution is simple: pay teachers more. Raise taxes if you have to. Lorena ISD starts teachers out at $44K. The sad thing is that it only goes up to $54K after 10 years and $61K at 20. Get outta here with that - I wouldn't put up with the crap they have to deal with for that pay even with the 4 day schedule and the 1.5 months off in summer.

We just need to pay teachers more. There are some amazing people out there leading our kids and not being paid what they are worth. Pay won't solve all the problems but money will attract more talent and help retain it because people are at least making a wage worth putting up with the crap. There are, admittedly, also crappy teachers (I had a few back in my younger years that I recall) but I swear half of them are retained today because of the fear of having to try to replace them.
Showtime
There aren't many things I'm good with giving the government more money for but paying teachers more would be one of them. That said I also have young kids and I'd imagine folks with kids that have already graduated wouldn't be interested in that.
sipembeers
BaylorGuy314 said:

Moondoggie said:

Wife was teacher of the year at probably one of the most challenging Waco ISD campuses. We moved her to Midway thinking that would be the end-all-be-all.

It has not been that. VERY backwards instructionally speaking compared to Waco ISD. I'm talking a decade behind waco isd and even a small school district she started at in falls county. Her hands are tied in the classroom and the challenges of zero parental involvement have been replaced by the annoyance of know-it-all helicopter parents in some cases.

But all of this could be remedied by one thing…l pay her what she is worth. Midway used to match waco isd but now does not, and now Midway ISD has a ton of unnecessary turnover. Raise the taxes a tad. Our future generation is worth it.

The four day school week schedule would be a PITA of enormous proportions for our family, personally. I know I may be in the minority but I hate it.

My solution is simple: pay teachers more. Raise taxes if you have to. Lorena ISD starts teachers out at $44K. The sad thing is that it only goes up to $54K after 10 years and $61K at 20. Get outta here with that - I wouldn't put up with the crap they have to deal with for that pay even with the 4 day schedule and the 1.5 months off in summer.

We just need to pay teachers more. There are some amazing people out there leading our kids and not being paid what they are worth. Pay won't solve all the problems but money will attract more talent and help retain it because people are at least making a wage worth putting up with the crap. There are, admittedly, also crappy teachers (I had a few back in my younger years that I recall) but I swear half of them are retained today because of the fear of having to try to replace them.

The only way to raise taxes is by vote. CS tried this last November and it failed 66% to 33%.

Reach out to your local representative to help with school funding.
Jackson Bear
Coke Bear said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Priorities.

Spent $20MM on indoor practice facility 10 years ago. Don't get me wrong, it gets ton of use by a lot of sports but the point is that we overspend when the getting is good and then complain when the good stops. Its not a Midway issue- its an American culture issue. Its dumb. /rant
I spoke to a fellow Midway ISD grad who had kids in the program at that time. (Mine were in Lorena.)

I was shocked that they wanted an indoor facility and wouldn't have voted for it just to raise my taxes. He told me that Midway had been doubling up on their bond payments to pay them off more quickly back then. They were going to just pay them at their regular rate instead of the double payment and they could afford the facility.

IIRC correctly, the threw every wish-list item they could think of into the bond and it passed based on the fact that taxes weren't going to go up.

I haven't read anything on the issue now, I should feel guilty saying something like, "Well, it's time to pay the piper now."
The indoor facility impacts more students and programs than anything besides the actual HS facility itself. Every sport uses the indoor facility and the weight room. Even the band and the drill team use it. Over half of all Midway students play sports or are in the band. One of the best investments Midway ever made. These types of facilities are common now at 6A and many 5A. I have even seen some at levels lower than 5A in some property-rich small school districts.

The district is exploring a tax-ratification election that will not increase taxes, but will instead reallocate the debt burden that will allow for more teacher raises. Since the clowns in Austin decided to not raise teacher pay and instead focus on attacking and weakening public education, people have no idea now much it costs to educate kids, particularly since both Washington and Austin keep increasing mandates without providing money for them.
El Mariachi
sipembeers said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Moondoggie said:

The only way to raise taxes is by vote. CS tried this last November and it failed 66% to 33%.

The crazy thing about school finances is how almost all of it is controlled at the state level, despite what people might think about the local influence.

State dictates:

So Austin decides how much Midway gets and how much or little they are willing to contribute, leaving local homeowners footing the difference.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of El Mariachi and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with El Mariachi unless explicitly stated. El Mariachi does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Eleven-League Grant
According to the McLennan CAD, the taxable valuation in Midway ISD is up about $1 Billion dollars from just last year, from roughly $6.5 billion to $7.5 billion, or a 15% increase. And, those numbers take into account the newly passed (but still pending) $100,000 homestead exemption.

Apparently having large industrial properties in its confines to tax is, as Martha Stewart would say, a very good thing to have.
BaylorGuy314
El Mariachi said:

sipembeers said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Moondoggie said:

The crazy thing about school finances is how almost all of it is controlled at the state level, despite what people might think about the local influence.

State dictates:

So Austin decides how much Midway gets and how much or little they are willing to contribute, leaving local homeowners footing the difference.
In some ways, I get it. Districts in economically depressed areas would never be able to keep up if some type of reallocation wasn't in place. BUT...Austin has too much control because it limits the ability of the constituents in a district from being willingly able to improve the situation.
Volunteer
Take the time to really understand funding of public schools in Texas. This is incredibly important for every taxpayer - especially those with kids in public schools - or about to be.
Not a dig at anyone, but in reading this thread it is very clear that the vast majority have very little understanding of school finance. This is understandable because it is actually quite complex and most of us have other things like jobs, spouses, and kids to take care of.

Talk to a school board member. Ask them to explain how school finance really works. Rather than assume one district has money growing trees on and another can't find two nickles to rub together, find our the truth. These are our elected board members. They're just regular people that pay taxes like the rest of us. They are happy to talk with you.

Here's a point most of you probably don't know: Midway spends less per student than any other district in McLennan County.

Here's another fact - Tax Rates:
Midway $1.12
Lorena $1.16
China Spring $1.17
Waco $1.24

Volunteer
Eleven-League Grant said:

According to the McLennan CAD, the taxable valuation in Midway ISD is up about $1 Billion dollars from just last year, from roughly $6.5 billion to $7.5 billion, or a 15% increase. And, those numbers take into account the newly passed (but still pending) $100,000 homestead exemption.

Apparently having large industrial properties in its confines to tax is, as Martha Stewart would say, a very good thing to have.

Yes, this is true. But, the state mandates a maximum amount of taxable value allowable per student. A district could have $1 trillion in appraised taxable property value, but they'd have to send most of it back to the state in recapture.
Moondoggie
My wife loathes the backwards Midway primary education curriculum. It ties her hands in really teaching those kids like she could in Waco and her little district in falls county. Midway is trying with the new superintendent , and at least in her campus, a much
needed new principle. Fingers-crossed the district pulls it's head out of its ass and they let the teachers teach.

Hell, she came home with the spirit stick she earned by screaming " we've got spirit, yes we do, we've got spirit, how bout you?" as part of her professional development today.

Spirit sticks at distant - wide staff meetings?!?!
Complete bull****
Moondoggie
Moondoggie said:

My wife loathes the backwards Midway primary education curriculum. It ties her hands in really teaching those kids like she could in Waco and her little district in falls county. Midway is trying with the new superintendent , and at least in her campus, a much
needed new principle. Fingers-crossed the district pulls it's head out of its ass and they let the teachers teach.

Hell, she came home with the spirit stick she earned by screaming " we've got spirit, yes we do, we've got spirit, how bout you?" as part of her professional development today.

Spirit sticks at district - wide staff meetings?!?!
Complete bull****
. What are they? Up with people?
RightRevBear
BaylorGuy314 said:

El Mariachi said:

sipembeers said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Moondoggie said:

State dictates:

In some ways, I get it. Districts in economically depressed areas would never be able to keep up if some type of reallocation wasn't in place. BUT...Austin has too much control because it limits the ability of the constituents in a district from being willingly able to improve the situation.

What pisses me off is that Austin is ran by Republicans who are supposed to be the party of small government. Local school boards are about the smallest level of government you can have, but they take more and more power away from them.
Eleven-League Grant
Volunteer said:

Yes, this is true. But, the state mandates a maximum amount of taxable value allowable per student. A district could have $1 trillion in appraised taxable property value, but they'd have to send most of it back to the state in recapture.

Agreed, you are correct on that point in that I assume you are referring to the state's 'Robin Hood Plan' of redistributing collected school taxes from wealthier to poorer school districts. (e.g. Austin ISD, Plano ISD, Highland Park ISD, etc.).

According to Midway ISD Superintendent Chris Allen in an August 7, 2023 Trib article, Midway is not currently subject to sharing its bounty:
Quote:

Under the state's Robin Hood plan, a 1991 law that takes local property tax funding from property-wealthy districts and distributes it to districts that are not able to generate sustainable amounts of tax revenue, excess school tax revenue is subject to recapture. Midway is not currently subject to recapture under the Robin Hood plan, but Allen forecasts the district will be within the next few years.
But, my goodness. It's tough for the average budget-constrained taxpayer to wrap his head around the idea that Midway has an additional 1 Billion dollars to tax this year (none of which is subject to Robin Hood) and yet some folks act as though it's asking its teachers, administrators and students to panhandle for quarters on the street corner to make ends meet.

Moreover, although I don't have the numbers handy, I'd ask just how much has the total taxable value in Midway ISD gone up over just the past 5-7 years? We're talking about very sizeable sums.

As an aside, let me emphasize that I am very grateful that Dr. Allen and company have conducted efficiency audits and are making changes. Those are very good things for any district, I'd say.

I'm also grateful for the quality of education that most Midway students receive and for the results that are achieved, although most will agree that academic results often stem from the importance placed on education by the parents of students in a district rather than from the amount of money spent per student in a district.
sipembeers
Volunteer said:

Take the time to really understand funding of public schools in Texas. This is incredibly important for every taxpayer - especially those with kids in public schools - or about to be.
Not a dig at anyone, but in reading this thread it is very clear that the vast majority have very little understanding of school finance. This is understandable because it is actually quite complex and most of us have other things like jobs, spouses, and kids to take care of.

Talk to a school board member. Ask them to explain how school finance really works. Rather than assume one district has money growing trees on and another can't find two nickles to rub together, find our the truth. These are our elected board members. They're just regular people that pay taxes like the rest of us. They are happy to talk with you.

Here's a point most of you probably don't know: Midway spends less per student than any other district in McLennan County.

Midway $1.12
Lorena $1.16
China Spring $1.17
Waco $1.24

China springs will drop by about 12 cents next month based on the stated mandated compression.
Volunteer

Volunteer said:

Agreed, you are correct on that point in that I assume you are referring to the state's 'Robin Hood Plan' of redistributing collected school taxes from wealthier to poorer school districts. (e.g. Austin ISD, Plano ISD, Highland Park ISD, etc.).

According to Midway ISD Superintendent Chris Allen in an August 7, 2023 Trib article, Midway is not currently subject to sharing its bounty:
Quote:

Under the state's Robin Hood plan, a 1991 law that takes local property tax funding from property-wealthy districts and distributes it to districts that are not able to generate sustainable amounts of tax revenue, excess school tax revenue is subject to recapture. Midway is not currently subject to recapture under the Robin Hood plan, but Allen forecasts the district will be within the next few years.
But, my goodness. It's tough for the average budget-constrained taxpayer to wrap his head around the idea that Midway has an additional 1 Billion dollars to tax this year (none of which is subject to Robin Hood) and yet some folks act as though it's asking its teachers, administrators and students to panhandle for quarters on the street corner to make ends meet.

Moreover, although I don't have the numbers handy, I'd ask just how much has the total taxable value in Midway ISD gone up over just the past 5-7 years? We're talking about very sizeable sums.

As an aside, let me emphasize that I am very grateful that Dr. Allen and company have conducted efficiency audits and are making changes. Those are very good things for any district, I'd say.

I'm also grateful for the quality of education that most Midway students receive and for the results that are achieved, although most will agree that academic results often stem from the importance placed on education by the parents of students in a district rather than from the amount of money spent per student in a district.
You make excellent points. Tax rate compression seems to cancel out the growth in appraised values. Frankly, the Texas world of school finance is entirely too complex. It needs to be completely overhauled.

Volunteer
sipembeers said:

Volunteer said:

Midway $1.12
Lorena $1.16
China Spring $1.17
Waco $1.24

China springs will drop by about 12 cents next month based on the stated mandated compression.
Yeah, I believe all the rates posted were pre-compression.
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

You make excellent points. Tax rate compression seems to cancel out the growth in appraised values. Frankly, the Texas world of school finance is entirely too complex. It needs to be completely overhauled.
Yes, it certainly helps both residential and commercial property owners battle rising valuations, although I personally had some commercial property that went up in excess of 400% this year! The 20% maximum cap on that will help more, I think, but that cap on annual increases is only a 3-year pilot program.

{Apologies for getting down in the weeds here. I assure you I'm no policy geek}.

And just to clarify for others in the discussion here (because as you said, this stuff gets involved), the state will make sure the school districts are 'whole' by sending them the funds to cover this compression.

Some might think that the compression will hurt the districts' revenues, but that won't be the case.

As reported in multiple places:
Quote:

School district tax rate compression

Lawmakers set aside $12.7 billion to "compress," or reduce, school property tax rates. SB 2 cuts school district maintenance and operations taxes, which make up the majority of a homeowner's tax bill, by nearly 24%.

Schools will receive money from the state to ensure they do not lose revenue as local tax rates fall.

However, overall school funding will not change.
El Mariachi
The thing to keep in mind is that the basic allotment (currently $6,160) multiplied by the weighted average daily attendance is what more or less determines a district's revenue level. Property values and compression and the rates just determine how much homeowners pay compared to the state…just shifting the burden between the two.

Property values can skyrocket and rates can go to nothing or whatever else, but a district will only get $6,160 x WADA in revenue (plus some additional state and federal funds).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of El Mariachi and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with El Mariachi unless explicitly stated. El Mariachi does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Eleven-League Grant
Since we were discussing the relative tax rates for the districts surrounding MISD ...

From today's Trib:
Quote:

Waco Independent School District homeowners are likely to see tax bills shrink by hundreds of dollars after the school board this week signaled it would cut the tax rate by more than 21 cents per $100 valuation.

That cut comes on top of a $100,000 school homestead exemption the state of Texas has approved and is awaiting voter approval in November.

Trustees on Thursday voted 6-0 to declare their intent to adopt a tax rate of $1.029 per $100 in valuation, with Jeremy Davis absent from the vote.

The article did not specify whether part of that 20% rate reduction is the state-mandated rate compression, but I suspect that it is.

FWIW, Waco ISD's 2023 valuations only went up by half a billion dollars, compared with Midway's one billion dollar increase in property valuation.
forza orsi

Quote:

FWIW, Waco ISD's 2023 valuations only went up by half a billion dollars, compared with Midway's one billion dollar increase in property valuation.

It helps that Amazon added over $300 million to Midway ISD's property base in 2023. (Personal property.) Amazon property taxes for 2023 will be over $3.5 million. That $300+ million was less than $1 million in 2022.
Harrison Bergeron
Moondoggie said:

Moondoggie said:

Spirit sticks at district - wide staff meetings?!?!
Complete bull****
. What are they? Up with people?
You forgot to logout and login with your sock.
trey3216
Moondoggie said:

Complete bull****
I wouldn't doubt if your wife and my wife teach at the same school.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
SteamedHams
Might need some funds allocated to SBE…got that call last night that the first day of school was canceled over a burst water main.
4th and Inches
SteamedHams said:

Might need some funds allocated to SBE…got that call last night that the first day of school was canceled over a burst water main.
must have been counting votes in there..

Seriously, that sucks!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
trey3216
SteamedHams said:

they had to move Meet the Teacher at Spring Valley Elementary to yesterday from thursday last week because the bathrooms didn't work. Then yesterday the air didn't work until 1:30.
SATXBear
FrankFallonCalling said:

CorsicanaBear said:

They are providing quality, modern educations in most of the developed countries in the world for less per student than the US. And in those countries that spend nearly as much as the US, the education is much better.

We have no excuse.

The vast majority of other developed countries do not educate the same spectrum of students for the duration that we do.

I love international education comparisons and there is much that we can learn from others, but apple to orange comparisons are not helpful.

Yes and we have incredibly inflated prices on everything compared to other countries.
sipembeers
Austin ISD passed a 54.5 million deficit budget this fiscal year. Also, they are now requesting 2k back from teachers who received an accidental bonus. The bonus was for new hires into the district.

The state is failing kids by making districts operate like this.
SATXBear
sipembeers said:

Austin ISD passed a 54.5 million deficit budget this fiscal year. Also, they are now requesting 2k back from teachers who received an accidental bonus. The bonus was for new hires into the district.

The state is failing kids by making districts operate like this.

Wow. That is awful. I wonder how much public schools are losing to the charter school system! Charter schools seem to siphon off a lot of money.
1outawayBear
Moondoggie said:

Complete bull****

It's funny your statements bc my wife was teacher of the year at mountainview before moving to midway isd last year. She is so so so much happier at midway than Waco isd. Not
Sure about the convocation bull**** rally but she hates that crap too, but loves that only one kid didn't show up
To meet the teacher. In Waco isd, she was lucky to have two or three kids parents show up.

To each their own.
trey3216
Air conditioner is out again at Spring Valley. It's supposed to be 109 today. My wife is gonna turn into a Tyrannosaur by the time she gets home today. Can't wait.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.