You know you went to Baylor pre-Magnolia if...

10,713 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by nortbear91
JTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GO
Stranger
JTM said:

GO

Bro. Long NoZe still came to the baseball games
I'm a Bearbacker
whitetrash
It wasn't safe to drive through the area between Whataburger and S 11th during the daytime, much less spend $350 an night to stay in an AirBnB there.
BaylorHistory
You said you were going to Cameron Park and your parents looked at you horrified.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Bear8084
The small Baptist church near the old BUGWMB practice field and across the Science Building was still there.
william
Dale.

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

POE.
RightRevBear
whitetrash said:

It wasn't safe to drive through the area between Whataburger and S 11th during the daytime, much less spend $350 an night to stay in an AirBnB there.

I had friends who lived in that area. They thought where I lived at was dangerous. Let's be honest though the Baylor students that left expensive items in their vehicles at their apartments close to campus were the most likely to get robbed. I guess the people in my hood knew we were broke if we lived there.
loanbear
You never went downtown for anything other than paying a ticket or eating at a restaurant at the corner of Franklin and University Parks.
BaylorHistory
RightRevBear said:

whitetrash said:

I had friends who lived in that area. They thought where I lived at was dangerous. Let's be honest though the Baylor students that left expensive items in their vehicles at their apartments close to campus were the most likely to get robbed. I guess the people in my hood knew we were broke if we lived there.
I got my beater car broken into on 2nd and Gurley (well it's not really broken into if you leave it unlocked). I guess they were pissed that all I had were a few pennies in there, so they ripped out my turn signal and left in in driver's seat for me.
Lund Vernquist
Call 756-5555 for time and temperature.
Bexar Pitts
The Silos were still a storage facility for JPM Feeds..
Mr Tulip
BaylorHistory said:

You said you were going to Cameron Park and your parents looked at you horrified.
My (at the time) girlfriend (now my wife) pledging some Greek thing in 1990, me looking metal AF in the acidwash jeans, back length hair, and tanker boots. Her sisters or pledge class or whatever deciding to go to Cameron Park after some function. Them sitting at some picnic table yakking, me facing the other direction nervous as fsck.

Funny thing, I knew three of the cars that drove by looking!
BaylorHistory
Mr Tulip said:

BaylorHistory said:

My (at the time) girlfriend (now my wife) pledging some Greek thing in 1990, me looking metal AF in the acidwash jeans, back length hair, and tanker boots. Her sisters or pledge class or whatever deciding to go to Cameron Park after some function. Them sitting at some picnic table yakking, me facing the other direction nervous as fsck.

Funny thing, I knew three of the cars that drove by looking!
Yeah I have fond memories of hiding right here by this wall while waiting for everyone to leave the parking lot under the bridge in a hurry after a gun was fired. Played a pretty good round of disc golf after that too.

Grumpy
Valley Mills Drive was the main drag in Waco. Other than the mall and the Target next to it, anything you needed was on Valley Mills.
Edmond Bear

Lived in Penland and had a wired phone.

Our four digit on campus phone number was 1800. Lots of parents or guests tried to dial a 1-800 number without dialing 9 to get off campus.

Eventually started answering with prank messages

Us: "Waco Mortuary. You stab 'em we slab 'em."
Parent: "Umm, I was trying to reach Hertz."

Yes, it was stupid. But, we had fun with different pranks.
Fat Daddy
Knew where the giant mailbox was!
Fat Daddy
Went to Wayne Shirley's in Little River. A platter of steak or a platter of fried fish…your choice!
william
william said:

Dale.

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

yep.

Dale.

- el KKM

{ sipping coffee }

go bears!
POE.
4th and Inches
Lund Vernquist said:

that is some serious memories..
Bexar Pitts
4th and Inches said:

Lund Vernquist said:

Computers and cell phones changed the world.
4th and Inches
Bexar Pitts said:

4th and Inches said:

Lund Vernquist said:

Computers and cell phones changed the world.
not sure for the better.. but they did change the world
Redbrickbear
You went to pics & gifts to buy some party pictures and it was located across from Martin Hall/old Brooks (where the big Baylor billboard now a grass area)

And if you saw the women win the 2005 national title at Willis bar (now closed) where they did not card underage drinkers. Also if you thought that Title was a huge deal
OsoCoreyell
If you had no idea what shiplap was.

If you ate anything at the Elite Cafe, especially fajitas and skillet apple pie.

If someone had come to you and offered you ANY real estate between Franklin, 12th, I-35 and U-Parks for any price, and you could have bought it and gotten change from a $100 bill.

If you told anyone you were from Waco and they answered "That Branch Dividian Place?"

Yogi
You went to Baylor 4 years and didn't even remember those Silos were there.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
baylor88bear
Jess Radle's for chicken fried steak
baylor88bear
And last graduation class in HOT
Bexar Pitts
There was only one George's..and there was no step up to a not yet existing back dining room...A pinball machine and potted plant was against that wall..Lucille was main waitress/server..Wallace was bartender..and you could quickly flip over the small bowl of gravy with your chicken fried..and nothing would spill out!
Fat Daddy
Bexar Pitts said:

There was only one George's..and there was no step up to a not yet existing back dining room...A pinball machine and potted plant was against that wall..Lucille was main waitress/server..Wallace was bartender..and you could quickly flip over the small bowl of gravy with your chicken fried..and nothing would spill out!

I don't remember the pinball…. But do remember the disc bowling game…. Big O's won (and lost) there!!
Bear Doc
Instead of cupcakes with missed free throws, we got free fries from Wendy's, but ONLY IF we scored over 75 points....
Bexar Pitts
Fat Daddy said:

Bexar Pitts said:

I don't remember the pinball…. But do remember the disc bowling game…. Big O's won (and lost) there!!
Yep..Bowling machine was my best subject at BU! .."Top 2 Drink. Bottom 2 Buy. Middle Men Skate!" My old padna Laney Cook could throw an unreal amount of strikes in a row when we were playing Strike 90..We both drank longneck Schlitz back then, and the booth table top would be full of bottles! Remember Lucile at midnite calling out.." Whoever just put a dime in the bowling machine just lost it!" The pinball machine was a "pounder"..I remember some of my old frat buddies just bangin the crap out of it...before it finally "tilted." Hated all the dayum "eaters" takin up space at big round tables in front of jukebox...not to mention takin room at the "trough" when you really had to go...Our Frat picture for Roundup was taken out in front around 72 or 73..with Little Sisters picture around the bowling machine! Just a million memories of those days.
Redbrickbear
Yogi said:

You went to Baylor 4 years and didn't even remember those Silos were there.

I did because Sigma Chi & Pike used to throw parties at a "Alamo type-Spanish type" looking place right over by there.

I was at a party as a freshman and I looked up and was like "what the heck are these old rusting silo things doing in the middle of the town?"
nortbear91
Bexar Pitts said:

I could walk in and Wanda or Darlene would have my beer ready for me by the time I reached the end of the bar.
Bexar Pitts
nortbear91 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

I could walk in and Wanda or Darlene would have my beer ready for me by the time I reached the end of the bar.
Kinda like "Cheers" :-)
SteamedHams
Bexar Pitts said:

Sherry was a waitress at the only joint in town. She had a reputation as a girl who'd been around
Down Main Street after midnight with a brand new pack of cigs. A fresh one hangin' from her lips and a beer between her legs.
Fat Daddy
SteamedHams said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Sherry was a waitress at the only joint in town. She had a reputation as a girl who'd been around
Down Main Street after midnight with a brand new pack of cigs. A fresh one hangin' from her lips and a beer between her legs.

Dang, Steamed, you might should put some music with that..: could be a hit! REKon so!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.