You know you went to Baylor pre-Magnolia if...

11,088 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by nortbear91
HunterBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One of my favorite places to go was The Chicken Shack. Great sit down chicken place with heavenly rolls. Throw some butter and honey on those. A Baylor tradition. Twisted Root pays homage to the iconic Chicken Shack chicken on their exterior wall.
cowboycwr
In college and a while after I went to this barber shop right off of Valley Mills and Speight (same shopping center as Bankston's and the CVS there) that I think was just called barber shop or ay have been University barber shop but it was all these old guys (at least in their late 60s and 70s at that time) and maybe one or two in their 50s. But a lot of the same stuff people talk about on here.

One of the guys I remember did not use clippers. You could get it as short as he could cut with scissors but no clippers. but the others were good and they all did the old school straight razor with shaving cream around your ears, back of neck, etc. and would do beard trims, etc.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
BaylorHistory said:

Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

If your remember taking hand punched data cards to the basement and hoping your simple program assignment from Dr Dentons kinesiolgy class would work
Way before my time, but I'm guessing they were numbered in some way in case you dropped them and they got out of order? Are we talking dozens of cards? hundreds of cards? or thousands of cards?
It would have been 80 or 81. I remember it was the last year the assignment was used. I think it was dozens.
73s de N4WJP
HunterBear said:

One of my favorite places to go was The Chicken Shack. Great sit down chicken place with heavenly rolls. Throw some butter and honey on those. A Baylor tradition. Twisted Root pays homage to the iconic Chicken Shack chicken on their exterior wall.
I'd love to see what a Chicken Shack, using the origional recipes, would do in the Cotton Patch building in front of Target. The combination of food that's still remembered fondly by many, a good location, and ample parking seems like a license to print money to me.
BCL79
BaylorHistory said:

Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

If your remember taking hand punched data cards to the basement and hoping your simple program assignment from Dr Dentons kinesiolgy class would work
Way before my time, but I'm guessing they were numbered in some way in case you dropped them and they got out of order? Are we talking dozens of cards? hundreds of cards? or thousands of cards?
ONLY if you remembered to code that option in the program! I remember Dr Ligon making that very important point after telling the story of poor students dropping shoeboxes full of cards and then .....
william
73s de N4WJP said:

HunterBear said:

ne of my favorite places to go was The Chicken Shack. Great sit down chicken place with heavenly rolls. Throw some butter and honey on those. A Baylor tradition. Twisted Root pays homage to the iconic Chicken Shack chicken on their exterior wall.
I'd love to see what a Chicken Shack, using the origional recipes, would do in the Cotton Patch building in front of Target. The combination of food that's still remembered fondly by many, a good location, and ample parking seems like a license to print money to me.

the signage was on the I 35 access rd south for a long time.

gotta find those.

- kkm

3 piece mixed, 1000 island, iced tea.

BID.
pro ecclesia, pro javelina
Fat Daddy
I saw the sign on the pole along the interstate just outside of Corpus Christi a few years ago. Great memories!!
william
blueskymesa
When you would go to the HEB on Speight to cash a $20 check for the weekend. I think it cost a quarter to do so.

You could also write checks at Georgia's and the Chicken Shack.
mcleod66
4th and Inches said:

Bexar Pitts said:

4th and Inches said:

Lund Vernquist said:

Call 756-5555 for time and temperature.
that is some serious memories..
Computers and cell phones changed the world.
not sure for the better.. but they did change the world
If forced to choose, I'd say NOT for the better!
mcleod66
73s de N4WJP said:

HunterBear said:

The Chicken Shack had great milkshakes they served in short, squatty red and white striped cups. I believe it was Leslie's Chicken Shack. So good.
Pecos 45
You all gathered in the TV room at Brooks Hall to watch Monday Night Football with Howard Cosell, Don Meredith and Frank Gifford
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Grumpy
You ask friends in the tv room of the Dungeon of Martin how to use the microwave because you've never used one before.
NoLayUps21
william said:

A lot of girls danced in non-Baylor approved ways there over a small amount of time in the fall of 2007.
Lund Vernquist
I can still hear the General Manager doing the radio ads with his heavy Irish lilt. "Ten tirdy at the Waterworks…"
Pecos 45
william said:

The Water Works was greatness. It was the hip place to be in the 70s-80s.
Excellent food, drinks, and good-looking waitresses.
Malcolm Forbes
73s de N4WJP
Pecos 45 said:

william said:

The Water Works was greatness. It was the hip place to be in the 70s-80s.
Excellent food, drinks, and good-looking waitresses.

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble on the Water Works stage around 1982-1985, before he hit it big. The house was a'rockin'...........
Pecos 45
Thanks for posting that pic!!!
I heard/saw SRV when he was in the band Krackerjack when they played at the old Abraxas club in Waco, way back in 1973.
Had no idea.
(I was more interested in the Baylor girl I was with.)
Malcolm Forbes
Knight Bear
Saw The Spin at Water Works and Bill Bill's (plus had them for a rush dance at the Hippodrome!).

Ate at Underwoods, JT McCords, Elite, Chicken Shack and many others mentioned that are long gone...

Didn't ask my (future) wife to dance at Melody Ranch because I thought she was giving me dirty "don't ask me to dance" looks at Melody Ranch (since she thought I was doing the same - because we are both blind, especially across a smoke filled bar). Got to dance with her the next week at Cody's though on Halloween and many nights since.

Sat at the Table of Knowledge and got cussed out and hugged by the wonderful ladies at George's that have been mentioned. Always nice to be able to walk in and have your favorite cold one brought with a smart ass comment and a smile by a lady with horrible teeth (the wait staff now is NOT what we had back then).

Ventures to 25th Street Theater for club music, the Robinson Witch's Grave, Giant Mailbox...

Watching Young Guns at the Ivy Twin theater 3 straight times when new friends kept inviting me as they walked to it while I was walking back to Martin.

Sitting at Chelsea Street Pub and watching a young rocker and his group play and then seeing them on TV months later when the ATF took down Mt Carmel. Still remember seeing Koresh's car in the parking lot (easy to identify). Remember where I was (corner of 5th and Bagby) when it went up in flames. Also got inside with the media compound one night with an old friend who drove in to see it all. Crazy seeing it that close with all of the spotlights and LOUD music...

Crazy that my main "homes" during those years are now a giant parking garage with steeples (Baylor Landing) and a giant apartment complex with it's own garage (10th St house).

cowboycwr
Knight Bear said:

Saw The Spin at Water Works and Bill Bill's (plus had them for a rush dance at the Hippodrome!).

Ate at Underwoods, JT McCords, Elite, Chicken Shack and many others mentioned that are long gone...

Didn't ask my (future) wife to dance at Melody Ranch because I thought she was giving me dirty "don't ask me to dance" looks at Melody Ranch (since she thought I was doing the same - because we are both blind, especially across a smoke filled bar). Got to dance with her the next week at Cody's though on Halloween and many nights since.

Sat at the Table of Knowledge and got cussed out and hugged by the wonderful ladies at George's that have been mentioned. Always nice to be able to walk in and have your favorite cold one brought with a smart ass comment and a smile by a lady with horrible teeth (the wait staff now is NOT what we had back then).

Ventures to 25th Street Theater for club music, the Robinson Witch's Grave, Giant Mailbox...

Watching Young Guns at the Ivy Twin theater 3 straight times when new friends kept inviting me as they walked to it while I was walking back to Martin.

Sitting at Chelsea Street Pub and watching a young rocker and his group play and then seeing them on TV months later when the ATF took down Mt Carmel. Still remember seeing Koresh's car in the parking lot (easy to identify). Remember where I was (corner of 5th and Bagby) when it went up in flames. Also got inside with the media compound one night with an old friend who drove in to see it all. Crazy seeing it that close with all of the spotlights and LOUD music...

Crazy that my main "homes" during those years are now a giant parking garage with steeples (Baylor Landing) and a giant apartment complex with it's own garage (10th St house).

Baylor Landing was a great location for an apartment. I loved living there.

I lived there when they closed which happened to be when I graduated and talked to the apartment manager and was able to buy a bunch of the furniture for like $100 to start me off as a recent college grad with nothing.
Yogi
The silos was where you bought your crack.

And you bought your weed from Ricki Ricardo at the dumpster behind the Eckerd's on 18th...
Liteitup
Robinson Witch's Grave! other people knew about that? And the mail box. Lots of beer drank driving around those places in the late 70's.
Fat Daddy
I know about the huge mailbox… but not the Witches Grave! Tell us more!
Liteitup
Fat Daddy said:

It really isn't all that. One of the headstones in the back of the cemetery was faded and stained. From the right angle, headlights made it look like a witch. Spooky, right? I don't remember which cemetery, by the pool off Moonlight? it's not far from the big mailbox, which oddly enough is on Big Mailbox Rd.
SteamedHams
Liteitup said:

Fat Daddy said:

It really isn't all that. One of the headstones in the back of the cemetery was faded and stained. From the right angle, headlights made it look like a witch. Spooky, right? I don't remember which cemetery, by the pool off Moonlight? it's not far from the big mailbox, which oddly enough is on Big Mailbox Rd.

Moondoggie
Would it qualify that I went pre-magnolia that chip was two pledge classes below me?
Old300Bear
Not only did I go to Baylor pre Magnolia, I went pre Chip and Joanna.
Pecos 45
You know you went to Baylor pre-Magnolia and pre-Chip and Joanna and if you went to George's, it looked like this!!!
(That's my VW Beetle parked out front.)
Malcolm Forbes
Bexar Pitts
Pecos 45 said:

You know you went to Baylor pre-Magnolia and pre-Chip and Joanna and if you went to George's, it looked like this!!!

Dayum near teared up seein' the old "home place!" :-)
Pecos 45
Wish I had a photo of the old slide bowling machine they had in there.
And it only cost a dime per play.
Malcolm Forbes
Knight Bear
Pecos 45 said:

Back when Wanda was young and thin and one of the others (name is escaping me this morning) had teeth?
Knight Bear
Liteitup said:

Robinson Witch's Grave! other people knew about that? And the mail box. Lots of beer drank driving around those places in the late 70's.
Robinson Cemetary

There was a story attached to it, but I wouldn't do it justice now (been too long!). Definitely a night trip with flashlights thing. Last time I went was with my girlfriend (wife) and I was driving my mom's old car while mine was in the shop. We'd only been dating a short time. Come to find out that we had a headlight out and got pulled over just as we were leaving by Robinson police. Fortunately, just gave me a warning (and a knowing look).
MrGolfguy
Knight Bear said:

Liteitup said:

Robinson Cemetary

There was a story attached to it, but I wouldn't do it justice now (been too long!). Definitely a night trip with flashlights thing. Last time I went was with my girlfriend (wife) and I was driving my mom's old car while mine was in the shop. We'd only been dating a short time. Come to find out that we had a headlight out and got pulled over just as we were leaving by Robinson police. Fortunately, just gave me a warning (and a knowing look).
This is not the cemetary by the pool off Moonlight.
Liteitup
MrGolfguy said:

Knight Bear said:

Liteitup said:

Robinson Cemetary

This is not the cemetary by the pool off Moonlight.
It is not. It is the second time since I posted that, that someone said it was on Steagall. Given my other memory failures of that era it is highly possible I'm mistaken. Or we made up our own witch? We didn't have to get out of the car to see our (fake?) witch.
Pecos 45
Knight Bear said:

Pecos 45 said:

Back when Wanda was young and thin and one of the others (name is escaping me this morning) had teeth?
Lucille?
Malcolm Forbes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.