Any word on the Waco Outback?

2,576 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Bexar Pitts
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did it survive the cuts? They closed about 150 of them according to a national story. Just curious. I have not heard.
baylrballa
Had no clue there were still open
TenBears
I ate there a couple of times in the 90's. Still processing the sodium.
Mike E
I actually ate there for the first time a couple weeks ago. Probably won't be back.

When I saw the story I was interested in knowing if this one made it though. I hadn't heard one way or the other either.
Yogi
It opens at 11:00 A.M. tomorrow.

Killeen is also still open.

Great place/ alternative. They just need to season their steaks less.
PartyBear
There is tremendously more variety now in Waco in terms of restaurants but from its opening in 96 through about 2010 or so, the place was packed with long waits to be seated on weekend nights. Well actually perhaps most nights of the week. When we went it would be a Friday or Sat night typically.
STxBear81
Is Lubys Still alive...man they are expensive now. what used to cost 7$ in the 70's now costs 20 or more per person in the 20;s..go figure
PartyBear
Luby's has been gone for at least a decade and a half it seems, at least the one on New Road by the Walmart on Franklin which I think was actually the one on VM by the original Chili's on Bosque in a new location. I mention that because as I was typing I was thinking that one has been gone since the late 90s until I remembered it was the same one I believe.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

Luby's has been gone for at least a decade and a half it seems, at least the one on New Road by the Walmart on Franklin which I think was actually the one on VM by the original Chili's on Bosque in a new location. I mention that because as I was typing I was thinking that one has been gone since the late 90s until I remembered it was the same one I believe.
Luby's opened in Parkdale (VM/Bosque) in summer 1974. Moved to New Road in 1998 when Walmart was built. Closed around 2008 or so and became Peter Piper pizza. The Bellmead Luby's opened in spring 1990 and lasted until the early/mid 2010s. Torn down along with the big round American Bank and replaced by a QT.
TenBears
STxBear81 said:

Is Lubys Still alive...man they are expensive now. what used to cost 7$ in the 70's now costs 20 or more per person in the 20;s..go figure

God they screwed up. I used to go over sometimes for a quiet lunch by myself across the street. One day I dropped at least 20 bucks for a piece of fish, green beans, okra, and iced tea. Plus the three dollar tip the. iced tea lady got from me. Never went back.
Big12Bear
TenBears said:

STxBear81 said:

God they screwed up. I used to go over sometimes for a quiet lunch by myself across the street. One day I dropped at least 20 bucks for a piece of fish, green beans, okra, and iced tea. Plus the three dollar tip the. iced tea lady got from me. Never went back.
Iced tea lady, as in the cart lady that would make the rounds? Had to have been 1990s when that went away.

I've never once paid $20 at Luby's in my life, even present day.
BaylorHistory
Remember when Luby's became a buffet for a hot minute? We weren't ready for that as a society.
TechDawgMc
Yogi said:

I like most of what they do, but I don't like their steaks at all. Love the bread. Good salad. Loaded potato/sweet potato was always good. Steaks way overseasoned. Always thought that was odd that a steak house didn't seem to know how to cook steaks.

Could do the baby back ribs and enjoy the meal, but wasn't enough to make me want to go back often.
PartyBear
If you are talking about the one by the Walmart on Franklin. Yes I do. That was great actually. That started around 2003 as I recall. I recall it being really cheap like all you can eat for $7 or so bucks maybe less than that and kids under 10 for like 2 bucks and Tuesday nights kids 10 and under ate free. They had stuff on the buffet that I do not recall being at Luby's prior to the buffet era such as sirloins and baked potatoes. We hit that regularly around 03/04 rather than wait to be seated at Outback and pay more (looping back to Outback in those days) when the kids were small. I believe however that lasted beyond our time taking advantage of it up until maybe a year or two before they closed.

Back to Outback those who dont like their steaks due to too much seasoning, a few years ago they started offering an alternate wood fired grilled version of their steaks which I think are better. I have no idea if they still offer that. We dont go as often as we did 20 or so years ago and the last few times I have gone I have forgotten about that option when I order.
whitetrash
Drove past Outback on Franklin at lunch today. Several cars were parked out front, so I guess it's still going strong.
GoldenBear03
Luby's couldn't hold Piccadilly's jock strap.
Moondoggie
GoldenBear03 said:

Luby's couldn't hold Piccadilly's jock strap.

The truth. I'm hated going to luby's after church when a Piccadilly was within a mile growing up.
Yogi
whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

Luby's opened in Parkdale (VM/Bosque) in summer 1974. Moved to New Road in 1998 when Walmart was built. Closed around 2008 or so and became Peter Piper pizza. The Bellmead Luby's opened in spring 1990 and lasted until the early/mid 2010s. Torn down along with the big round American Bank and replaced by a QT.

I remember going with my family to that old Luby's, though I loved the Dan's Dairy Queen next door.

Still, I loved both Picadillys as well. Remember the conveyor at the Lake Air Mall? That was great. Grandma would take me to Molitor's and then Picadilly.

Great times!!!!

If only they had a bar with the cafeteria concept. Ha ha.
cowboycwr
TechDawgMc said:

Yogi said:

I like most of what they do, but I don't like their steaks at all. Love the bread. Good salad. Loaded potato/sweet potato was always good. Steaks way overseasoned. Always thought that was odd that a steak house didn't seem to know how to cook steaks.

Could do the baby back ribs and enjoy the meal, but wasn't enough to make me want to go back often.
I don't think it is that they didn't know how to cook steaks. I think they knew that there is a segment of the population that likes seasoning. Just like they like steak sauce on the steak. Or BBQ sauce at BBQ place on their brisket. And they knew the customer for a while as it worked, until more options came up, eating out became too expensive, etc.

BaylorHistory
I'm not picky and will gladly chow down on any of the Picadilly/Lubby's/Underwoods that you have to offer.
BearVerdad
BaylorHistory said:

I'm not picky and will gladly chow down on any of the Picadilly/Lubby's/Underwoods that you have to offer.
Miss Underwood's. That was my Sunday after church go to for a while.
BUbearinARK
Ate at the Luby's in Stafford tx with dad yesterday. LuAnn did not let me down.
BaylorGuy314
I eat at Luby's regularly in Austin as my kids have sports down there a good bit. Wednesdays and Saturdays, kids eat free. Pretty filling for only $25 as I can spend that for a family of four at fast food. However, I went once recently when kids didn't eat free (I think a Sunday afternoon) and spent $50. No thanks.
HunterBear
Lavenders seemed fancy back in the early-mid 60's when I was growing up. Sometimes we would go to Wyatts, and my cousin and I would get the fried chicken and see who could get most ketchup on the white cloth napkins.
Bexar Pitts
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.