Eclipse Party at Baylor

7,994 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 4th and Inches
Volunteer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Weather not looking good at all. Maybe a big bust.
southtexasbear
Starting to trend in a good way. 7-
10 day out forecasts always shift. Modifying plans off the lake/brazos to land for now. Hoping to switch back.
drahthaar
trey3216 said:

sipembeers said:

Yup.

Waco decided to bring Dwight Yoakum downtown the night before for a free concert. Downtown is going to be an absolute cluster eff for three-four days
Perfect weekend to buy a brisket, a few racks of ribs, an extra case of beer and bottle of vodka, and not do a damn thing.

I thought about opening up the ranch north of Clifton for SicEm folks…sits on top of the mountains there…not a soul around. Plenty of clean water to swim in, two 700+ foot wells, shoot a pig or three…

The Bosque Museum in Clifton is serving burgers on site….downtown is being cordoned off…food trucks available as I understand.
hodedofome
PartyBear said:

I'm not sure about that one. Totality only lasts a minute or two at the most. Night fall doesn't usually constitute the cause in fact for over cast skies to go away and over cast skies don't disappear in a matter of seconds or a minute regardless of whether the sun has set or it's high noon.

It lasts over 4 minutes in Waco.

https://time.com/6963028/what-if-solar-eclipse-cloudy-2024/
BUbearinARK
hodedofome said:

PartyBear said:

I'm not sure about that one. Totality only lasts a minute or two at the most. Night fall doesn't usually constitute the cause in fact for over cast skies to go away and over cast skies don't disappear in a matter of seconds or a minute regardless of whether the sun has set or it's high noon.

It lasts over 4 minutes in Waco.

https://time.com/6963028/what-if-solar-eclipse-cloudy-2024/

PartyBear
Well that is great but unfortunately it will not change cloud coverage if there are clouds as forecasted.
davesburgerbarn
Both food trucks will be all over town for the eclipse. See you guys at Mclane Stadium
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/mouthwatering-burgers-tx/

Save 20% when you mention SicEm365
TenBears
drahthaar said:

trey3216 said:

sipembeers said:

Yup.

Waco decided to bring Dwight Yoakum downtown the night before for a free concert. Downtown is going to be an absolute cluster eff for three-four days
Perfect weekend to buy a brisket, a few racks of ribs, an extra case of beer and bottle of vodka, and not do a damn thing.

I thought about opening up the ranch north of Clifton for SicEm folks…sits on top of the mountains there…not a soul around. Plenty of clean water to swim in, two 700+ foot wells, shoot a pig or three…

The Bosque Museum in Clifton is serving burgers on site….downtown is being cordoned off…food trucks available as I understand.

How do you like your place in Clifton? I'm interested in finding a small ranch in a higher elevation spot around Waco, like Valley Mills, etc.
RightRevBear
davesburgerbarn said:

Both food trucks will be all over town for the eclipse. See you guys at Mclane Stadium

Had your burgers for the first time tonight at the Dwight Yoakam concert. I will definitely be eating them again.
trey3216
whitetrash said:

trey3216 said:

For all you music junkies, especially in Waco for the eclipse event coming up....

If you start Dark Side of the Moon (all the way through of course) at precisely 12:59:24 on April 8th, 'Eclipse' will play during the peak of totality and end precisely at the very last second of totality.
You're welcome
There is no dark side of the moon. It's all dark. Really.
can't believe I glossed over this comment when I first read it around 5:30am a few days ago. Well played
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
southtexasbear
Weather is looking good for today!
Traffic wasn't too bad yesterday but definitely can tell more than usual people.
Cruised up and down the Brazos yesterday. Enjoyed some special edition Black Hole Sun black lager. All the local breweries have special editions for today.
PartyBear
Sun is currently breaking through some of clouds now. Hopefully that holds for several hours.
beardoc
We are on the shore of Lake Erie, predicted totality, clear and sunny one hour ahead of the ecliptic.
Frank Galvin
Turned out great. Watched it from Brotherwell and saw it all.
whitetrash
Cloudy off and on all morning. Clouds parted about 30 seconds into totality. Sky is now totally clear over Waco
Bexar Pitts
whitetrash said:

Cloudy off and on all morning. Clouds parted about 30 seconds into totality. Sky is now totally clear over Waco
It was an incredible sight...One more done on Bucket List!
4th and Inches
Perfect eclipse watching day!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
trey3216
whitetrash said:

Yep. We drove out to Crawford to a friend's house. Cleared up 30 seconds before totality and has been clear since. Absolutely unreal. Pictures don't do it justice. Dark side of the Moon in the background was absolutely clutch. Made the experience spiritual/ethereal.
4th and Inches

“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Thanks for the pics. It didnt get as dark as I thought.

I enjoyed the DY show.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
PartyBear
While photos generally do capture the beauty of natural things and accurately represent what the eyes are also seeing, I have come to the conclusion that cameras even modern ones do not really capture accurately a total solar eclipse. That was such a beautiful and phenomenal thing. I was blown away I have seen alot of photos of total eclipses including photos of the one yesterday. They do not compare at all to what you see during an actual one in real time.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

While photos generally do capture the beauty of natural things and accurately represent what the eyes are also seeing, I have come to the conclusion that cameras even modern ones do not really capture accurately a total solar eclipse. That was such a beautiful and phenomenal thing. I was blown away I have seen alot of photos of total eclipses including photos of the one yesterday. They do not compare at all to what you see during an actual one in real time.
Agreed.

To me the thing that stood out was the unique way there was light. It was total darkness and yet still some light coming down from above, not like moonlight or the street lights but a little bit of bright light making the horizon very bright but dark at the ground.

Just a weird mix of dark but not total blackness like true nighttime.
southtexasbear
What I thought was amazing was when there was just a sliver of sun left coming through and yet it was so bright and warm. How that little bit of sun could still have such a massive impact.
4th and Inches
Here is another one from Waco

Great camera capture

–Horace

cowboycwr
There are some good pictures from NASA (I think that is who it was) of the eclipse but zoomed in where it catches (and excuse me if I use the wrong technical term here) solar flares or "arms" coming off the sun visible around the edges of the moon. They really looked like flames creeping out from a lid covering a fire in a pot but the lid wasn't air tight. I thought they were pretty neat.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

There are some good pictures from NASA (I think that is who it was) of the eclipse but zoomed in where it catches (and excuse me if I use the wrong technical term here) solar flares or "arms" coming off the sun visible around the edges of the moon. They really looked like flames creeping out from a lid covering a fire in a pot but the lid wasn't air tight. I thought they were pretty neat.
If you were in the right spot, you could see solar flares with the naked eye. I saw 3; at the 2:00, 5:00, and 7:00 position. Absolutely aweing.
PartyBear
I could see the solar flares though I didn't know what I was seeing. To my naked eye they looked like a red dot of light like a tiny red star sitting on the edge of the moon. I thought it must be some sort of optical illusion. The one at 5:00 on the circle seemed to be there the entire time from the Waco vantage point. I then saw zoomed in photos from Waco and I could see those were solar flares.
boxster
So in retrospect, did Waco did a good job capitalizing on the great Eclipse Event of 2024?
RightRevBear
boxster said:

So in retrospect, did Waco did a good job capitalizing on the great Eclipse Event of 2024?
. Yes, Airbnb's were full and hotels were full despite being expensive. Restaurants were busy.
AustinHomeGirl
City of Waco, Baylor, NASA, and Lowell Observatory provided an amazing venue with plenty of activities for both young and old. My husband and I volunteered, and we were so glad we did. People came from all over the US and many from well beyond. The crowd was large, but not too big for the space provided. Everyone I spoke with afterwards couldn't have been happier. It was a beautiful and somewhat unifying experience. Kudos and appreciation to all who had a hand. Sorry I won't (likely) be around for the next one!
73s de N4WJP
boxster said:

As a rideshare driver, I had one of my best weeks mainly shuffling people between the airport and downtown.
RightRevBear
AustinHomeGirl said:

City of Waco, Baylor, NASA, and Lowell Observatory provided an amazing venue with plenty of activities for both young and old. My husband and I volunteered, and we were so glad we did. People came from all over the US and many from well beyond. The crowd was large, but not too big for the space provided. Everyone I spoke with afterwards couldn't have been happier. It was a beautiful and somewhat unifying experience. Kudos and appreciation to all who had a hand. Sorry I won't (likely) be around for the next one!

The event was really well done. The only downside was the food lines were incredibly long. I don't know how this could have been solved though because there was an army of food trucks.
PartyBear
We ate at a restaurant down town. The waiter asked where we were from. (We are local). He said he was asking everyone. He waited on some folks the night before who were in from Seattle. I saw a guy on twitter who made the journey from Alaska to see it. He posted great pictures. But as I said photos do not really accurately capture the spectacular nature of the event.
cowboycwr
Traffic didn't seem that bad over the weekend either but I didn't do a lot of driving and didn't see any shortages like were predicted to hit stores or gas stations.
Miner1973a
We watched the eclipse from inside McLane Stadium. We ate a brunch at the Baylor Club. The provided us with a parking pass near the club. After we ate they told us we could go anywhere on the first deck of the stadium. We had comfortable seats and a great view. It felt a little strange without about a 100 people in this large stadium.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.