Relocating to Waco

5,755 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by BearVerdad
baylorguy09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am relocating to Waco as I recently got a job at Baylor. Planning on leasing a year before purchasing a home. I will tell you, the selections are slim. I am having a hard time finding something. Moving from Austin, I thought that I would be finding something easier and more affordable, but I was mistaken.

Downtown is pretty much ridiculously $$ or not leasable because people have bought lofts to use for game weekends or airbnb's.

I have never understood why the city does not build up La Salle into something more student/family friendly similar to Guadalupe in Austin.

They allowed the grease pit across from campus to grow so much (which I understand why because of the location off 35), but the traffic is horrible around there. It seems like they should be enticing developers to build more condos/apartment buildings down La Salle with retail/restaurant spaces and spread some of that traffic out.

La Salle seems so promising (but wasted) for bringing the student crowd and being a strong connector between campus and Valley Mills area.
falconbear
I've said the same thing forever. LaSalle remains a tremendous eyesore next to campus and the lack of development over the years has been shocking.
LIB,MR BEARS
It is headed the right direction, finally and slowly.

In the last 6 weeks, a couple of eyesores have been torn down, Showtime being one of them.

New stuff is coming.
cowboycwr
LIB,MR BEARS said:

It is headed the right direction, finally and slowly.

In the last 6 weeks, a couple of eyesores have been torn down, Showtime being one of them.

New stuff is coming.
Showtime is gone???

LIQR will need a new spot to attend.....
cowboycwr
As to LaSalle....

It would help to spread the traffic out but also developers would rather build within walking distance to downtown, grease pit, silos, etc.

Also, La Salle still has it's sketchy areas/higher crime and developers don't want to build a nice apartment/condo next to that type of area.

Then you also have the traffic issue of other type of development wants to be close to 35 not a backroad. And let's face it La Salle is a backroad. I rarely go down it unless on the way to a game at the FC (which I guess is no longer going to happen).

any development along it will have to focus on students and some drawing in of locals (like Route 77 food park)
Edmond Bear
falconbear said:

I've said the same thing forever. LaSalle remains a tremendous eyesore next to campus and the lack of development over the years has been shocking.

JMO - It's not going to be developed like you are hoping.
  • The city gave 9 acres fronting LaSalle to the Salvation Army to move from it's downtown headquarters.
  • There is a giant flea market that is dead during the week and overbusy on certain weekends
  • There a few large businesses that take up a large frontage area that are not likely to move; Star Propane, Storage place, Collision repair shop
  • There is a large cemetery that partially fronts it but takes up alot of space one block off LaSalle
  • There would have to be alot of Eminent Domain activity to get rid of some of the less desirable businesses
  • Developing LaSalle takes away from developing the river, downtown, East Side, and I-35/Hwy 6 interchange

About the best you could hope for is for Baylor to continue its property acquisition and adopt LaSalle as its own commercial and residential development area.

LIB,MR BEARS
cowboycwr said:

As to LaSalle....

It would help to spread the traffic out but also developers would rather build within walking distance to downtown, grease pit, silos, etc.

Also, La Salle still has it's sketchy areas/higher crime and developers don't want to build a nice apartment/condo next to that type of area.

Then you also have the traffic issue of other type of development wants to be close to 35 not a backroad. And let's face it La Salle is a backroad. I rarely go down it unless on the way to a game at the FC (which I guess is no longer going to happen).

any development along it will have to focus on students and some drawing in of locals (like Route 77 food park)
I would expect development to be closer to University Parks and slowly move towards the circle.
PartyBear
I believe the drag (Guadalupe) in Austin is substantially closer to 35 than La Salle in Waco. . Or I should say the parts of LaSalle by campus are farther from 35 than the drag is in Austin.
Yogi
As I get older, I want a one-level mansion. While there are only a handful in McLennan County. But there are some nice single level homes near my grandmother's old neighborhood near the lake.
BaylorHistory
Y'all are nuts. La Salle is fantastic with La Familia, El Charro, La Milpa, and the dude selling tamales across the street from the flea market all gracing us with their presence.
Edmond Bear
BaylorHistory said:

Y'all are nuts. La Salle is fantastic with La Familia, El Charro, La Milpa, and the dude selling tamales across the street from the flea market all gracing us with their presence.

El Charro is mid. Taco Z and the food truck dude selling quesobirria and tamales are amazing.

BaylorHistory
Edmond Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

El Charro is mid. Taco Z and the food truck dude selling quesobirria and tamales are amazing.

Taco Z is mid but a drive thru is a drive thru. La Familia is the true gem of La Salle.
Edmond Bear
BaylorHistory said:

Edmond Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

Taco Z is mid but a drive thru is a drive thru. La Familia is the true gem of La Salle.

Yeah. The drive thru thing, go around twice, is weird. But, their breakfast tacos and tuesday tacos are some of the best.

parch
PartyBear said:

I believe the drag (Guadalupe) in Austin is substantially closer to 35 than La Salle in Waco. . Or I should say the parts of LaSalle by campus are farther from 35 than the drag is in Austin.
As someone who went to Baylor and works off Guadelupe, they're pretty much the exact same distance to 35, at least around campus.

It really has nothing to do with 35 and everything to do with proximity to a vibrant downtown scene. Austin gradually grew around UT over the last 50 years, which populated the Drag with lots of fun small business. In any real business or entertainment sense, Waco really has still not migrated east of 35.
boxster
Back to the OP, there are some cheap lots in the triangle between 18th and the traffic circle. Be a trend setter and buy one and build a house there. If the area trends in the right direction, you'll be rewarded handsomely. If it doesn't, well...
Edmond Bear
boxster said:

Back to the OP, there are some cheap lots in the triangle between 18th and the traffic circle. Be a trend setter and buy one and build a house there. If the area trends in the right direction, you'll be rewarded handsomely. If it doesn't, well...

He's leasing and there are no homes there. So, his option would be to pitch a tent a block off 35.

Baylorguy, what are you looking for? Home? Apartment? Schools for kids? Next to Baylor?

cowboycwr
parch said:

PartyBear said:

As someone who went to Baylor and works off Guadelupe, they're pretty much the exact same distance to 35, at least around campus.

It really has nothing to do with 35 and everything to do with proximity to a vibrant downtown scene. Austin gradually grew around UT over the last 50 years, which populated the Drag with lots of fun small business. In any real business or entertainment sense, Waco really has still not migrated east of 35.
There was a thread on here a few years ago that talked about that and how the growth was all on the west side, even right along 35. It is picking up some with the growth going in/planed around the 6/35 change but really it is all west of 35.
Localbear
My dad has a friend that just sold his house on Cesar Chavez in Austin last year for $1.5 million. He paid $25k for it 30 years ago and added about $50k worth of sq ft to it over the years. Was close to La Barbecue. That is a crazy return for basically the small lot it sits on.

In Waco, I think people would be more inclined to build new houses between 4th and 6th running along the river starting from just east of Waco drive and then towards Cameron Park before building houses near LaSalle which will end up commercial like Cesar Chavez over time.

I thought about buying one down there, but I wasn't ready to be the first in some of those neighborhoods even though there are quite a few AirBnBs still popping up. Instead I bought in Woodway and tore down the old house to build our new one.
parch
cowboycwr said:

parch said:

PartyBear said:

There was a thread on here a few years ago that talked about that and how the growth was all on the west side, even right along 35. It is picking up some with the growth going in/planed around the 6/35 change but really it is all west of 35.
I haven't lived in Waco in years and am still surprised and how burned out and bereft of anything of note the land between campus and Hwy 6 is. That's such valuable land in terms of proximity to campus that doesn't require you to negotiate 35 underpasses (and I assume cheapness), but it's basically all run down garages and empty land. And that's a Waco issue, not a Baylor issue.

I understand north of the river is Bellmead, but that whole area between UParks and Robinson Dr is prime real estate in Waco terms and it's lain fallow since Waco existed. And as long as it does, LaSalle will remain a kind of seedy repository and swinging-door businesses nobody's interested in.
Edmond Bear
parch said:

cowboycwr said:

parch said:

PartyBear said:

I haven't lived in Waco in years and am still surprised and how burned out and bereft of anything of note the land between campus and Hwy 6 is. That's such valuable land in terms of proximity to campus that doesn't require you to negotiate 35 underpasses (and I assume cheapness), but it's basically all run down garages and empty land. And that's a Waco issue, not a Baylor issue.

I understand north of the river is Bellmead, but that whole area between UParks and Robinson Dr is prime real estate in Waco terms and it's lain fallow since Waco existed. And as long as it does, LaSalle will remain a kind of seedy repository and swinging-door businesses nobody's interested in.

Here's part of it. The other side of LaSalle from UParks to 4th is mainly student housing made up of Apartment Complexes and 2/3 story homes with kids stacked inside them. It's become a large area of students and there is alot of construction back there.

From 4th to 9th is the Cemetery with a few related businesses in front of it.

Edmond Bear

Here's another interesting look and it is why I think Baylor is the best hope for development on LaSalle.

Baylor owns alot of property (in green) fronting LaSalle between UParks and 7th.

Baylor has the opportunity to develop the upper LaSalle area near UParks and attract restaurants and other student businesses. They have open fields to develop and nasty warehouses that can be knocked down. So, there's space.

No idea what the actual plans are.

cowboycwr
Edmond Bear said:

parch said:

cowboycwr said:

parch said:

PartyBear said:

Here's part of it. The other side of LaSalle from UParks to 4th is mainly student housing made up of Apartment Complexes and 2/3 story homes with kids stacked inside them. It's become a large area of students and there is alot of construction back there.

IF you zoom out a little on the map and the bottom left is the area I think he was referring to. Lots of fields there and not much development from La Salle to 6. For example, if you were to drive 12th street to 6 you pass two cemeteries and then fields all the way to 6.
cowboycwr
Edmond Bear said:

Here's another interesting look and it is why I think Baylor is the best hope for development on LaSalle.

Baylor owns alot of property (in green) fronting LaSalle between UParks and 7th.

Baylor has the opportunity to develop the upper LaSalle area near UParks and attract restaurants and other student businesses. They have open fields to develop and nasty warehouses that can be knocked down. So, there's space.

No idea what the actual plans are.

Those "random warehouses" you labeled are not that random. I don't know about currently but I know one of them used to store all sorts of old furniture when it was taken out of buildings to be sold, donated, etc. Another one was full of tons of books donated to Baylor that were slowly being sorted through for the library or to again be donated on to someone else.
Edmond Bear

The random warehouses being referenced:

parch
Edmond Bear said:

parch said:

cowboycwr said:

parch said:

PartyBear said:

I'm talking south and east of that housing bloc there, all along UParks and down 6 to Robinson Dr.

The point is that you have Baylor students packed into a space bounded by 35 on one end, which is a natural dividing break for foot traffic into downtown, and a bunch of open space and rundown buildings all the way to 6 on the other side. Waco has completely ignored developing this area into anything approaching usable space.

UT doesn't own West Campus on the other side of Guadelupe from campus, but over the last 30 years it's developed into a densely packed urban environment with business and shops, and it's for that reason that the Drag is such a highly populated alley for student life.

Until that area east of LaSalle turns into anything other than a dumpy afterthought, LaSalle will be a disappointing nothingburger.
Edmond Bear
parch said:

Edmond Bear said:

I'm talking south and east of that housing bloc there, all along UParks and down 6 to Robinson Dr.

The point is that you have Baylor students packed into a space bounded by 35 on one end, which is a natural dividing break for foot traffic into downtown, and a bunch of open space and rundown buildings all the way to 6 on the other side. Waco has completely ignored developing this area into anything approaching usable space.

UT doesn't own West Campus on the other side of Guadelupe from campus, but over the last 30 years it's developed into a densely packed urban environment with business and shops, and it's for that reason that the Drag is such a highly populated alley for student life.

Until that area east of LaSalle turns into anything other than a dumpy afterthought, LaSalle will be a disappointing nothingburger.

Understood. My point was that the student housing area from UParks to 4th was the same type of undeveloped property that now has alot of construction. I bet 90% of alumni have no idea that area on the other side of LaSalle exists or is as large as it is.

What you are hoping to happen is happening in the Upper LaSalle area.

The follow-up is that Baylor owns alot of property fronting LaSalle close to UParks.

The retail part of what you are looking for has the best chance of happening on Upper LaSalle.

And, since Baylor is stopping the growth of its undergraduate classes. I doubt the rest of LaSalle ever gets seriously developed like the student housing area there now.

baylorguy09
Hey Edmond- I am looking for a decent sized apartment or house. 2 bedrooms/2 bath preferred.
Coke Bear
baylorguy09 said:

Hey Edmond- I am looking for a decent sized apartment or house. 2 bedrooms/2 bath preferred.
My daughter has a 2/2 condo on Lake Shore Drive that has a view of the back side of the dam that she's looking to rent out for the summer.
LIB,MR BEARS
Coke Bear said:

baylorguy09 said:

My daughter has a 2/2 condo on Lake Shore Drive that has a view of the back side of the dam that she's looking to rent out for the summer.
Windowbox? Nice place
cowboycwr
baylorguy09 said:

My advice would be to look outside of the Baylor "bubble" area. maybe in Hewitt, Woodway, Robinson, lake Shore or other areas. There can be a pretty significant price different between apartments in those areas from the Baylor area.
Leonidas
cowboycwr said:

baylorguy09 said:

My advice would be to look outside of the Baylor "bubble" area. maybe in Hewitt, Woodway, Robinson, lake Shore or other areas. There can be a pretty significant price different between apartments in those areas from the Baylor area.
Along these lines, I do not know where you are now, but commute times in Waco are very tame even if you live further from the Baylor campus. You can get to any of the places listed above and even further out within 20 minutes. Much different than commuting in Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc.
Volunteer
Woodway to Baylor - about 15 minutes.
ARbear13
I live in the Hewitt/Lorena area, and there are some affordable new subdivisions coming up in my area. It takes me no more than 20 minutes to get to campus. You might want to consider that.
cowboycwr
One would really have to go out of the city a bit to get to where the drive gets to be over 20-25 minutes. Like other side of the lake, far side of China Spring, etc.

And the good thing is wherever you live there are multiple ways to get to campus. From Robinson I often go down LaSalle or UParks from 6 to avoid 35 when going to campus, especially for a game- well not so much for basketball anymore.
SmallMan1209
I heard awhile ago that La Salle was supposed to get a pickleball restaurant. That would be a good start for some positive development
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.