How long is Scott Drew's leash?

11,970 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Robert Wilson
JP1037
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

The worst thing about losing in the tournament -- and I hate losing in the tournament -- is the parade of idiotic, reactionary posts by morons who haven't posted here all season long.

I disagree with you often but you are 100% right about this.
bear2be2
JP1037 said:

bear2be2 said:

The worst thing about losing in the tournament -- and I hate losing in the tournament -- is the parade of idiotic, reactionary posts by morons who haven't posted here all season long.

I disagree with you often but you are 100% right about this.
We disagree all the time. But I respect your opinion as one that is formed based on a reasonable amount of data -- even when it's not one we share. You've been around through the good and bad this season and have seen enough of this team to give a fair, informed take.

I would say the same of all of the others who I spar with here over the course of a long basketball season.

But I have no respect for people who show up only after our last loss with wild-ass, uninformed takes and expect to be taken seriously.
BU82EX
ZachTay said:

All the green-n-gold blinded haters in here just wanted to hate on other (more basketball knowledgable) posters like myself. But, I started offering to all of you in here a long time ago the lack of quality free throw shooting as a priority in Drew's program would cost the Bears. It did, as predicted. Drew's scheme has run its course.

And, by the way, Coach Calipari says "hi". One-n-done 5 Stars have NEVER made a material impact to any college program. Actually, in almost all instances they have cratered a once-successful program. Drew has gotten all caught up in that kool-aide and the results show. The best programs at the D-I have players who stick and play 2-3 years together, minimum.

Sadly,

Sic'em

Carmelo Anthony
Anthony Davis
J. Okafor
All won NCAA championships
Derrick Rose
Julius Randle
Greg Oden
Mike Conley
Jalen Suggs
All lost in championship game
Plenty other one and done made Sweet 16, elite eight, final fours. The problem is when your entire team is made up of one year wonders. If you have a mix of veterans you can have your share of superstars. Our problem this year was defense. And, unfortunately, the horse has left the barn on fielding a veteran team at one school. With the transfer portal it's almost impossible to get guys to play together longer than 2 years. Cryer a classic example. Starter on a Top 15 team, yet he transfers after 3 years. I don't care how disappointed I am at this teams failures, the last thing we need to do is change coaches.
Robert Wilson
As long as he wants it to be. He won the only national championship of any consequence in the history of Baylor University. He can kind of do whatever he wants for however long as he wants.
FLBear5630
Robert Wilson said:

As long as he wants it to be. He won the only national championship of any consequence in the history of Baylor University. He can kind of do whatever he wants for however long as he wants.
BB is still closer to the way College sports used to be for coaches. Maybe it is because the Tourney really hasn't changed drastically.

People on here may be too young to remember, but for schools like Baylor winning 2 or 3 NCs IN A CAREER was good enough for HOF. Teams might get into the Tourney for 20 years and that was enough to keep job and be considered a good coach.

Henry Iba - Never won a NC
Adolph Rupp only won 4 in his long career
Al Maguire - 1 NCAA
Frank McGuire - 1 NC
John Thompson - 1 NC
Mike Krzyzewski - 3 NC
Larry Brown - 1 NC
Lute Olson - 1 NC
Jim Boeheim - 1NC

There are more, but we may have a string of early exits but in a 30 year career for Drew where another NC would put him ABOVE many legends. We need to have a little perspective, which I know is not popular right now.

Drew is golden. He may change up his philosophy some, but the guy can coach and recruit. He is perfect for Baylor. I compare him to Jim Boeheim (Syracuse), Thompson (Georgetown) schools that can go on runs but won't be like an AZ or Kansas. Can't compare us to the State programs, in my opinion.

Johnny Bear
Assuming no out of left field off the court issues or fabricated "scandals" (ala Briles), for Drew's seat to even get warm he would have to do something like miss the post season entirely for at least 3 straight seasons - and that's not happening. The only natural ways he leaves BU is because he chooses to (through leaving for another job or retirement), or because of health issues/death.

EvilTroyAndAbed
Coach K won a lot more than 3 NCs
FLBear5630
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

That was when he went into the HOF, sorry for the lack of clarification.

Ok, got me. Drew won't be Coack K. Will you take an Al Maguire, Jim Boeheim, Larry Brown, Lute Olson type coach? Is that good enough for Baylor?
EvilTroyAndAbed
FLBear5630 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Ok, got me. Drew won't be Coack K. Will you take an Al Maguire, Jim Boeheim, Larry Brown, Lute Olson type coach? Is that good enough for Baylor?
You think I'm anti-Drew? I hope he coaches here for the next 20 years. We're going to get back to the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight and hopefully beyond because he's going to give us that chance every year.
TWD 1974
ALLBEAR said:

Really, though. How long is it? We are the most overrated team every year.
When I was a kid, my parents brought me to a Baylor Pigskin Review at Homecoming. Judge Mccall, President of Baylor at the time noted that it had been over 45 years since Baylor had won a conference championship in football and if we don't win one in the next 45 years we were done. Sounds like a fair timeframe for Scott Drew.
FLBear5630
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

FLBear5630 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

You think I'm anti-Drew? I hope he coaches here for the next 20 years. We're going to get back to the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight and hopefully beyond because he's going to give us that chance every year.
I didn't say you were for or against Drew.

Sorry, a little tired of "message board preciseness" seeming to be a requirement lately. Get's tiresome, this is not a job. It is a see something interesting, make a point.

To rephrase - 3 vs 5 NCs... He's a F-ing Legend! In the Wooden class. Not sure it is fair to compare anyone to Wooden, K, Knight or the other legends. I agree, I like the fact that Drew can stay for 20. : )
LIB,MR BEARS
ALLBEAR said:

IowaBear said:

VERY long. Lifetime long
Round of 32 lifetime long will be it I guess

Find another team
BU has found its man
FLBear5630
LIB,MR BEARS said:

ALLBEAR said:

IowaBear said:

VERY long. Lifetime long
Round of 32 lifetime long will be it I guess

Find another team
BU has found its man
Who else has shown they can recruit at his level AND stay out of trouble?
drahthaar
What leash?
TechDawgMc
So in a week where we are hearing that the bluest of blue blood programs (Kentucky) considers Drew a top choice for a coach if they fire Calipari, we have idiots wanting him to be on the hot seat.

Baylor just has some lousy fans.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
TWD 1974
TechDawgMc said:

So in a week where we are hearing that the bluest of blue blood programs (Kentucky) considers Drew a top choice for a coach if they fire Calipari, we have idiots wanting him to be on the hot seat.

Some who claim to be All Bear are no Bear at all.
LIB,MR BEARS
John Wooden isn't returning any of Rhodes phone calls. I doubt he's even talking to Louisville.

We're stuck with Drew.

/s
historian
PartyBear said:

He is to our basketball program what Bill Snyder is to KSU' football.

Except Snyder doesn't have Drew's accomplishments.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
JP1037 said:

No Quarterback said:

Winning a national championship gets you an infinite leash at Baylor. Look at Dave Aranda. One good season out of four, and we're still keeping him even though everyone and their dog knows that he's toast. Drew is an upbeat, positive guy that fits the "Baylor vibe" or whatever you wanna call it. He is a good marketing tool for Baylor, and that's good for donations. Private schools need donations. Ergo, he ain't going anywhere anytime soon

Throw all that in the garbage. He is a top 10 coach in the nation. Best coach in the history of Baylor.

Maybe for all sports
historian
EatMoreSalmon said:

Louisville fans on the board, it seems.

You think they are still trolling because their insane Drew fantasies proved to be insane fantasies?
bear2be2
historian said:

PartyBear said:

He is to our basketball program what Bill Snyder is to KSU' football.

Except Snyder doesn't have Drew's accomplishments.
The only thing Snyder doesn't have is a national championship, and he had Kansas State in the conversation deep into the season on multiple occasions.

Given that it's much more difficult (if not impossible) in college football than it is in basketball for a program outside of the blue blood cabal to win at that level, I think this is a pretty apt comparison.

Both are legendary coaches who are/were solely responsible for the success of the otherwise moribund program's they lead/led.
historian
TechDawgMc said:

They are probably Cow or Frog trolls. Or maybe Louisville. We can safely ignore most of what they say because it's demonstrably stupid. They are jealous because we have one of the best coaches of all time and they can only dream about having half his accomplishments.
historian
boognish_bear said:

How many programs have done better? Special emphasis must be on the results of 2021: there are very few active coaches with a natty. For example, Jay Wright & Coach K have both retired recently.
historian
LIB,MR BEARS said:

John Wooden isn't returning any of Rhodes phone calls. I doubt he's even talking to Louisville.

We're stuck with Drew.

/s

"stuck" is a poor choice of words although I don't think you meant it negatively

We are very blessed to have Drew. Most programs in the country would be very happy to have him. Ask the Louisville fans.
bear2be2
historian said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

We're stuck with Drew.

/s

"stuck" is a poor choice of words although I don't think you meant it negatively

We are very blessed to have Drew. Most programs in the country would be very happy to have him. Ask the Louisville fans.
The /s below his post is for sarcasm.
TXBEAR_bf
Arizona has won exactly one championship, over 25 years ago, not saying they aren't a great program, but for the most part it started and ended with Lute Olson. All coaches since have had marginal success in March with A LOT of early exits based on their seed.

https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/2023/7/31/team-national-championships-history.aspx
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
bear2be2
TXBEAR_bf said:

Arizona has won exactly one championship, over 25 years ago, not saying they aren't a great program, but for the most part it started and ended with Lute Olson. All coaches since have had marginal success in March with A LOT of early exits based on their seed.

https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/2023/7/31/team-national-championships-history.aspx
Yep. Sean Miller's teams never reached a Final Four despite five seasons as a top-five seed.

And Tommy Lloyd would be making his first Elite Eight appearance this year, after losing in the first round last year with a two seed and in the Sweet Sixteen in 2022 with a one seed.
FLBear5630
TXBEAR_bf said:

I was defending Drew. Olson is in HOF and as you said 1 Championship. You don't kick HOF coaches to the curb without a good reason.
TXBEAR_bf
I just saw your quote "schools that can go on runs but won't be like an AZ or Kansas". I don't consider U of A any where close to Kansas or any of the blue bloods. They have a great program, but at this stage so does Baylor. I wasn't trying to argue any point, just that I don't think AZ and Kansas are in the same consideration. They are fringe BB, and do have good fan support.
Drew is a hall of fame coach to be sure. I am not sure if where he started will be considered for induction, but his number of wins when he finishes and his NC should cement it. I think he stays until he wants to go, barring 4-5 seasons of below .500. At some point the program is bigger than anyone person.
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
FLBear5630
TXBEAR_bf said:

I just saw your quote "schools that can go on runs but won't be like an AZ or Kansas". I don't consider U of A any where close to Kansas or any of the blue bloods. They have a great program, but at this stage so does Baylor. I wasn't trying to argue any point, just that I don't think AZ and Kansas are in the same consideration. They are fringe BB, and do have good fan support.
Drew is a hall of fame coach to be sure. I am not sure if where he started will be considered for induction, but his number of wins when he finishes and his NC should cement it. I think he stays until he wants to go, barring 4-5 seasons of below .500. At some point the program is bigger than anyone person.
Agree 100%.
JP1037
TechDawgMc said:

Stupid more than lousy. Don't know history and don't know basketball in general.
historian
Thanks.
My sarcasm meter must still be off a bit!
Bleed Green
So, if I am reading this correctly, some of our fanbase think we should fire a coach who will be in the HOF one day, has taken us to the NCAA Tournament the last 5 times it was held, takes us to the sweet 16 roughly 25% of the time, has a national championship, and is a consensus top 10 coach?

I have long defended this fanbase as better than any other. I will now have to go and apologize to my sip and aggie friends. We have just as many idiots as they do. Some of the comments are absolutely ludicrous.

If you honestly don't want Drew coaching our team then you have absolutely no clue about Baylor and its history, and have little knowledge of how good programs operate. We gave Drew an opportunity when he was young. We allowed him to learn without a whole lot of pressure, and now some of you want to allow another school to reap the benefits. Drew would be unemployed for less than 5 minutes if we let him go. Drew's leash runs out at immoral or felony acts at this point. 10 years from now if we have less than 2 Big 12 titles, 9 tournament appearances, less than 3 sweet 16's and no championships, then maybe we can shorten that leash to have some sort of performance requirement.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.