Best jobs in college basketball.

1,435 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by ABC BEAR
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Do your homework man

wongobear
At first it is a little offensive that we are in the lowest tier, but those schools ahead of us are generally big state schools with lots of people and resources.

I could see us up into Tier 3 because of the natty, but it would be a stretch to push us higher than that.
2Bears
Maybe that UK job isn't all that people believe. They sure had a difficult time getting someone to take it.
parch
wongobear said:

At first it is a little offensive that we are in the lowest tier, but those schools ahead of us are generally big state schools with lots of people and resources.

I could see us up into Tier 3 because of the natty, but it would be a stretch to push us higher than that.
I think it helps to see this list in terms of, "If they just hired someone right now, how high are the odds that they could succeed at a high level with the blank slate their program is offering them."

Texas has whiffed on coach after coach since Barnes and still trips into good seeds and an occasional second-weekend run. They don't need to do that much to be good because the athletics support system around them is very strong.

We, on the other hand, needed a generational coaching talent to push us into the limelight, and we generally have no idea how the system would respond today if we hired average like most programs ultimately do. We certainly know what that looks like historically, and it was pretty ugly.

So really our place on a list like this will be unclear until Drew's replacement comes on board, whenever that is. It's only then that we'll see what this program really has under the hood.
sicem2471
This list is terrible
sicem2471
Guess Louisville and Kentucky missing on all their top targets makes it a good coaching spot.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Did y'all see the arena to greet Pope? Sold out. We'd be lucky to get 3,000 together to welcome a new coach.

Also, Pitino and Cal were both third picks by UK, so they usually never get their first choice. But it's easily still a top job.
IvanBear
I really try to not get trolled by these things because the majority of people making them on twitter are making intentionally absurd decisions to generate clicks. This list is quite frankly insane in a significant number of ways including Texas being ahead of anyone in Tier 3 and most of Tier 4. Tier 2 and 3 generally being awful with a lot of teams needing to be swapped Tennessee has never even made a final 4, just because they've overpaid for a few coaches doesn't make it an elite job.

There's too many things to complain about to even begin commenting on Baylor's position on this list.
BigGameBaylorBear
Tell me you don't know ball without telling me you don't know ball.

Buddy put the blue bloods at the top and then randomly assorted teams into the other tiers.
whitetrash
6 of the 9 Tier 2 schools and 4 of the 11 Tier 3 schools missed the 2024 NCAAs.
WA Jim
That list is a joke - some bored dude making up crap
bear2be2
I would put Baylor in the third tier for both men's basketball and football -- just below the blue blood and blue blood adjacent programs.

We don't have the same resources or fan support that the programs above us do, but a good coach can win at an elite or near elite level without any of the hassles or pressure they get at a more traditionally successful program.

Now that we're funding our programs at the level of our peers, Baylor is a great place to coach for the right person. We can't offer what the blue bloods do, but a good coach can accomplish most reasonable career goals in a laid-back environment free of insane fans and meddling boosters.
cowboycwr
Any school that has never won a national championship should probably not be higher than tier 4.

Any school that has not won a NC this century should not be higher than tier 3.

So UT, Tenn, Arizona and IU all need to go down.

Any team that fits the above two should be in tier one or two.

UCLA and IU are called blue bloods but I just don't get it. UCLA hasn't won a title in 30 years. They did have an incredible run the year we won (play in as 11 seed to final four) but that is about it.

Indiana hasn't won a title in what 40 years? I know they haven't won in my entire sports watching life. They are called a top job, a blue blood, etc. but they are sort of like Notre Dame or Michigan (until this year) in football where their success last happened before their players were alive.
BigGameBaylorBear
Aside from accolades, Baylor is top 5 in NIL and coaching budgets for basketball
Stefano DiMera
This list is clearly Mack's fault.
Fre3dombear
bear2be2 said:

I would put Baylor in the third tier for both men's basketball and football -- just below the blue blood and blue blood adjacent programs.

We don't have the same resources or fan support that the programs above us do, but a good coach can win at an elite or near elite level without any of the hassles or pressure they get at a more traditionally successful program.

Now that we're funding our programs at the level of our peers, Baylor is a great place to coach for the right person. We can't offer what the blue bloods do, but a good coach can accomplish most reasonable career goals in laid back environment free of insane fans and meddling boosters.

Football? Seriously?

Maybe if it was December 31st 2014 I could mayyyyyne agree with that
bear2be2
Fre3dombear said:

bear2be2 said:

Now that we're funding our programs at the level of our peers, Baylor is a great place to coach for the right person. We can't offer what the blue bloods do, but a good coach can accomplish most reasonable career goals in laid back environment free of insane fans and meddling boosters.

Football? Seriously?

Maybe if it was December 31st 2014 I could mayyyyyne agree with that
We've played for Big 12 championships under every coach we've had since Briles, posting our best season ever with a coach most are ready to see let go.

Baylor's a good job, even if the current coach isn't doing such a good job at the moment. He'll either get things back on track this year or get replaced by a better coach next offseason.
ABC BEAR
Georgetown? Chortle, Chortle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.