* * Dallas Mavericks

50,575 Views | 584 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DALLAS The NBA announced today that Mavericks guard Luka Donicic was named to the 2020-21 All-NBA First Team, marking the second straight year he has garnered All-NBA First Team honors.

Donicic becomes the youngest player in league history to earn multiple All-NBA First Team selections. He joins Kevin Durant, Rick Barry and Max Zaslofsky as one of four players to garner multiple All-NBA First Team accolades before age 23. The third-year guard also joins George Gervin, David Thompson, Larry Bird, David Robinson, Penny Hardaway and Tim Duncan as one of seven players since the ABA/NBA merger (1976-77) to earn two-or-more All-NBA First Team selections within their first three seasons.

Donicic (6-7, 230) averaged a team-best 27.7 points, 8.0 rebounds, a team-high 8.6 assists and a team-high 34.3 minutes in 66 games (all starts) this season. He ranked sixth in the NBA in scoring, 21st in rebounding and fifth in assists, finishing in the top 25 for all three categories for the second year in a row.
Assassin
Donnie Nelson steps down.

Coach Carlisle steps down.

Luka confirms he is staying.

What GM would turn down working with Luka?
Assassin
"After a number of in-person conversations with Mark Cuban over the last week, today I informed him that I will not be returning as head coach of the Dallas Mavericks," wrote Carlisle in a statement to ESPN. "This was solely my decision. My family and I have had an amazing 13-year experience working with great people in a great city. It has been honor to work alongside Mark [Cuban, [Cynthia Marshall], Donnie [Nelson], [Michael Finley], Keith [Grant], Dirk [Nowitzki], [Jason Kidd] and every player and assistant coach I've had here. Dallas will always be home, but I am excited for the next chapter of my coaching career."
Assassin
Assassin
The Mavericks have opened a formal search into their next candidate for general manager. Michael Finley, a former Mavericks All-Star player who was hired to the front office in 2012 and formally began his role as vice president of basketball operations in 2014, has often been described as someone being groomed to run the team.
Keyser Soze
It's a mess right now.
Assassin
Keyser Soze said:

It's a mess right now.
Mavericks were concerned about tension between Luka Doncic and Rick Carlisle
The tension between Carlisle and 22-year-old superstar Luka Doncic had increasingly become concerning within the Mavs organization, sources said. Doncic showed up Carlisle several times this season, such as making animated gestures on the court when he disagreed with a decision or yelling at Carlisle in front of assistant coaches and teammates.

30 mins ago via Adrian Wojnarowski, Tim MacMahon @ ESPN
Brian Ethridge
Staff
vanillabryce
Carlisle and Nelson were about to go to Slovenia to spend time with Luka. Interesting.
Assassin
vanillabryce said:

Carlisle and Nelson were about to go to Slovenia to spend time with Luka. Interesting.
When they got their tickets, they found out that it was a one way trip.... interesting...
Assassin
The Dallas Mavericks are conducting their first head coaching search since hiring Rick Carlisle in 2008. Carlisle stepped down as head coach on Thursday.
Tim MacMahon identified Jamahl Mosley, Jason Kidd and Terry Stotts as three probable candidates for the job, reported Tim MacMahon on The Hoop Collective.
Mosley has been an assistant coach with the Mavericks since 2014 and is known to be close to Luka Doncic. Mosley is also a candidate for other openings.
Stotts was previously an assistant coach with the Mavericks under Carlisle before he became head coach of the Portland Trail Blazers.
TIM MACMAHON/ESPN
Assassin
Currently fans voting the Mavs as the 'most attractive for a new head coach (all about Luka... and possibly a tech billionaire on the side)

https://basketball.realgm.com/poll/263003/Which-current-head-coaching-vacancy-do-you-consider-the-most-attractive-Updated
Assassin
The Dallas Mavericks have hired Dirk Nowitzki as a special advisor.
Nowitzki will assist in the Mavericks' search for a new head of basketball operations and head coach.
"Mark approached me and asked me to help out and of course I said yes," Nowitzki told the New York Times. "Any way I can help my Mavs, I'm in."
Nowitzki spent just two seasons in retirement before taking on this new role.
MARC STEIN/NEW YORK TIMES
Assassin
Believe it or not, Prozingas had a career year
Assassin
Jonathan Wasserman: Was told Mavs' decision to take Josh Green over Saddiq Bey frustrated number of key execs/scouts. Some wanted Bey. Analytics said Green and won. Bey went one pick later and was just named to First Team All-Rookie.

11 hours ago via Twitter NBADraftWass
Assassin
Haralabos Voulgaris is without a contract beyond the end of the current season with the Dallas Mavericks and his role with the franchise has been scrutinized following a report in The Athletic and the departure of Donnie Nelson.
"If they're going to bring in a real president of basketball operations, whatever the title is, they're going to hire a real person, Bob Voulgaris can't be there. There's no one who is going to accept him in the middle of all this. To me, I think that's going to be a non-starter for anyone of any real stature in the league.
"I think Cuban realizes that. I think Bob Voulgaris realizes this. And the other thing is, there are other frayed relationships with Voulgaris within the organization. Obviously the Luka [Doncic] one... Mark Cuban will have a really strong analytics department. Bob Voulgaris, I can't imagine the circumstance where he'll be in charge of that."
The Athletic reported on Thursday that Voulgaris would not have an elevated role within the franchise beyond his existing one should he sign a new deal.
ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI, TIM MACMAHON/ESPN
Assassin
According to BetOnline, there are 12 likely candidates for Dallas' top coaching job. Whether any of them eventually land the role is anyone's guess, but there are some familiar names on the list and the Mavericksand youmight want to take a gamble and pick one of them.

• Jamahl Mosley 10/11
  • Becky Hammon 6/1
  • Terry Stotts 6/1
  • Jason Kidd 8/1
  • Ime Udoka 9/1
  • John Calipari 9/1
  • Mike D'Antoni 9/1
  • Pablo Laso 12/1
  • Chauncey Billups 14/1
  • Sam Cassell 14/1
  • Mike Budenholzer 16/1
  • Dirk Nowitzki 66/1

• Assassin
    All-NBA honors for the 2020-21 season.
    First Team

G | Steph Curry | Golden State Warriors
    F | Giannis Antetokounmpo | Milwaukee Bucks
    G | Luka Doncic | Dallas Mavericks
    C | Nikola Jokic | Denver Nuggets
    F | Kawhi Leonard | Los Angeles Clippers
    Second Team
    G | Damian Lillard | Portland Trail Blazers
    F | Julius Randle | New York Knicks
    G | Chris Paul | Phoenix Suns
    C | Joel Embiid | Philadelphia 76ers
    F | LeBron James | Los Angeles Lakers
    Third Team
    C | Rudy Gobert | Utah Jazz
    F | Jimmy Butler | Miami Heat
    F | Paul George | Los Angeles Clippers
    G | Bradley Beal | Washington Wizards
    G | Kyrie Irving | Brooklyn Nets
    Assassin
    Tim MacMahon: At this point, the sense that I get is that Kristaps Porzingis would not mind a fresh start. But his approach going into the offseason is, okay, I've got a healthy offseason, which has been rare for him. He needs to work on his body, he needs to work on his game. And that he is determined to to come back and prove that he is a star-caliber player. Whether he's coming back to another franchise or not, that's not within his power. But my understanding is he had very productive conversations with Mavericks player development staff.

5 hours ago via Spotify
    Assassin
    Dia del DougO
    Jason Fn' Kidd? Are you fn' kidding?

LOL

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
    Wichitabear
    Dia del DougO said:

Jason Fn' Kidd? Are you fn' kidding?

LOL

I was thinking the same thing but not in those exact words. Lolol. Makes no sense. It's just like we went out and said, he's good enough let's just ask him. What is Cuban thinking!!!!!!
    Wichitabear
    Assassin said:

That didn't take long.
    Assassin
    Jason Kidd is the new HC and Nico Harrison is the new GM.

Assassin
    If Jason can bring in another superstar to link with Luka, fantastic
    Assassin
    Assassin said:

Jason Kidd is the new HC and Nico Harrison is the new GM.

It so happens Barea was the first Mav to befriend Doncic upon his arrival in Dallas.
    Assassin
    Wichitabear
    Assassin said:

I just don't have a lot of confidence in him. I hope he proves me wrong.
    Dia del DougO
    Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

Same here. Electric player in his prime, but mediocre coach at best, and has been kind of a cancer in the lockerroom on more than one occasion. I don't have much hope that he suddenly developed the right personality and charisma to be a legit head coach. He always seemed like a ******.

He's definitely not a better coach than Carlisle, and that should have been the first priority.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
    Wichitabear
    Dia del DougO said:

Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

Same here. Electric player in his prime, but mediocre coach at best, and has been kind of a cancer in the lockerroom on more than one occasion. I don't have much hope that he suddenly developed the right personality and charisma to be a legit head coach. He always seemed like a ******.

He's definitely not a better coach than Carlisle, and that should have been the first priority.
    agree, just don't see it with Jason being a success but I hope I'm wrong.
    Assassin
    Dia del DougO said:

Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

agree on not a better coach than Carlisle, but he may be a better coach for Luka. Thats my hope anyway
    Wichitabear
    Assassin said:

Dia del DougO said:

Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

agree on not a better coach than Carlisle, but he may be a better coach for Luka. Thats my hope anyway
    I kinda thought that's what you were thinking because that's the only reason I can think of that he was hired.
    Assassin
    Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

Dia del DougO said:

Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

I kinda thought that's what you were thinking because that's the only reason I can think of that he was hired.
    Rick Carlisle actually commented on it. Thought is was a perfect hire to bring out the best in Luka
    Assassin
    Mike Finley has the title of Director of BBall Ops. Could get a promotion
    Keyser Soze
    We gonna turn this around 360 degrees

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.