Roster spots

15,363 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Bear3
IowaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Realistically how active can we even be in the portal. We're only losing 1 player correct? Edwards is the only one I know of leaving. And we have 2 freshman coming in. Feels like a crowded roster already.
Perhaps I'm off on my numbers?
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Blackwell is also gone. Catarina was also recognized on senior day. We still don't know on Madison Bartley if she will use her Covid year.
blackie
IowaBear said:

Realistically how active can we even be in the portal. We're only losing 1 player correct? Edwards is the only one I know of leaving. And we have 2 freshman coming in. Feels like a crowded roster already.
Perhaps I'm off on my numbers?
Blackwell is gone as well. And Ferreira participated in senior day.
Brusinbear2001
so we lose 3 it seems and add 2 with our freshman. I do know Ines is going to be coming in with and injury though so that will be something to look at and consider. With all of our guards returning I wasn't sure how much time she will get this year. So she might redshirt her first year and use it to develop. But it would ultimately be up to coaches.
IowaBear
Ahhh thanks fellas had realized those 2 were leaving.
Bear3
Ajiah and Cat are leaving.
Dcheetah
Now you can add Lety and Denae.
SirBearALot
Is letty and Denie leaving ???
BUVA
They are both in the portal.
fredbear
Don't blame Lety. She never had the respect of a coach who desperately needed height in the post. NC made no real effort to develop Lety no matter how far ahead we might be on the score board. Maybe coach was correct; time will tell: but Lety was given no choice given the cold shoulder she received in playing time. She was a highly ranked recruit that we seemingly made little effort to utilize. Don't tell me she wasn't ready, coach her up and make her ready.
pwactwac
Sad to see that about Denae. Not sure what happened this year and why it didnt work. Loads of talent.
IowaBear
Fritz to BU never made an ounce of sense to me. It was widely known she left ISU because she didn't think her role was big enough offensively. That role was never going to be bigger at BU. Just a head scratcher
ctxbear
fredbear said:

Don't blame Lety. She never had the respect of a coach who desperately needed height in the post. NC made no real effort to develop Lety no matter how far ahead we might be on the score board. Maybe coach was correct; time will tell: but Lety was given no choice given the cold shoulder she received in playing time. She was a highly ranked recruit that we seemingly made little effort to utilize. Don't tell me she wasn't ready, coach her up and make her ready.
Thanks for this information. Since I'm never in practice or the weight room with the team, I never knew how little effort CNC put into developing Lety's talent. I thought Lety was a disappointment, but I was only going by what I saw on the court. It's good to have the perspective of an insider who can give information from behind-the-scenes on what was and wasn't happening.
ScottS
So how many open spots does this put us at?
SirBearALot
We need Lety
chorne68
ctxbear said:

fredbear said:

Thanks for this information. Since I'm never in practice or the weight room with the team, I never knew how little effort CNC put into developing Lety's talent. I thought Lety was a disappointment, but I was only going by what I saw on the court. It's good to have the perspective of an insider who can give information from behind-the-scenes on what was and wasn't happening.
Lety was number 36 recruit because she was 6'7". That is not highly recruited. How does anyone know that she was not respected by NC? I am very certain that as the only recruit for last year, she was given every opportunity to develop. As a very tall person, she will take longer to develop. There were several players that were given little playing time. I really wanted her to be a force in the paint. I will give our coach the benefit of doubt as to who plays and how much and will not speculate whether or not she was ready.
MrGolfguy
ScottS said:

So how many open spots does this put us at?
6 or 7
Big Bear
So we have 7 players who are returning?
Yaya, Jana, Dari, Bella, Jada, Kyla and Sarah.
Bartley?
We add 2 freshmen?
What now?
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
This is pending transfer portal. 9 or 10 sports filled already. Thus we could get up to 6 or 5 transfers if we want to go up to 15 players. My best guess would be that we stop at 13 players.
BUatbirth
What now? I'd say 2-3 portal, with size and Awa Fam Thiam
blackie
ctxbear said:

fredbear said:

I think the poster who made the comment needs to provide evidence of the effort or not to develop Lety. Otherwise it is nothing more than a strawman comment for the purpose of criticizing the staff.
blackie
Big Bear said:

So we have 7 players who are returning?
Yaya, Jana, Dari, Bella, Jada, Kyla and Sarah.
Bartley?
We add 2 freshmen?
What now?
We added 4 from the portal last year. The "what now" is called the portal which is the new lifeblood of programs. It is a positive thing, not negative.
Dcheetah
No respect from the coach? Big people often need time to develop and she will definitely need more time. She played more early and lost time because she was so ineffective. If you remember. outside the first game vs a very low level opponent, Lety was very ineffective when used early. She was almost an auto foul because she played with her arms forward on D, she brought the ball down low too much and often stripped, her hands were not good on the catch and she fumbled both entry passes and securing rebounds, and she was not strong enough and missed a lot of easy finishes. By the end of the season, she had made some improvements in all of these, especially defensive positioning as you saw vs Gusters late in the season. She is obviously making gains indicating development. I expected to see more contribution next year in rim protection and rebounding and really was thinking in her 3rd year and beyond she would be a much bigger plus for our team. Developing at an Olajuwon-esqe rate of speed is very rare. Disappointed she is in the portal since she seemed very happy here and I was hopeful for considerable progress in years ahead. I wonder if Cat moving on had anything to do with that. Maybe she is checking her portal worth as AP suggested.
SirBearALot
Lety please stay. We need you Baylor good Waco good all good.
BearTiger
6'4"/6'5" C Awa Fam from Spain, plays like a Post looks very athletic with good footwork. She is 17/18 years old and I think in the class of 2024. Read somewhere she has spoken to couple schools, LSU and Louisville, maybe more. She has done couple zoom calls with LSU. Hope Coach N contacts her and see if she is a possibility.
BUatbirth
BearTiger said:

6'4"/6'5" C Awa Fam from Spain, plays like a Post looks very athletic with good footwork. She is 17/18 years old and I think in the class of 2024. Read somewhere she has spoken to couple schools, LSU and Louisville, maybe more. She has done couple zoom calls with LSU. Hope Coach N contacts her and see if she is a possibility.
Hope so too. Someone said all our coaches are following her…for what that's worth.
She is obviously no secret.
BearTiger
I know Blackwell is gone, but is Edwards also gone (a graduate student)? We're going to miss them. Plus losing 2 to transfer portal. So that makes 4 total so far correct?
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Edwards has 0 years of eligibility. Yes she is gone.
BearTiger
We had total 13 players this year. 2 have no eligibility left and 2 transferring out. So that leaves us with 9. Add 2 new recruits from class of 2024. That gives us 11 so far, pending no one else transfers out or the seniors graduate and decide not to return.
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
I didn't mention this. Catarina walked on senior day too.
BUDOS
Strongly agree!
We see more than enough misinformation crap as it is.
So, let's hear what you KNOW.
Bone Squad
I saw nothing from Lety that led me to believe she belongs on the court against a power conference opponent. Maybe she would have developed into a significant contributor in the next two years, but I was not even especially hopeful that would be the case.

In Fritz' case, it is a mystery to me how she went from a deserving All Freshman team pick last year, to poor shooting, questionable defense, and regular mental mistakes this year. But I mostly saw it as a weird funk she would shake off during this coming offseason. I'm sorry we won't get to see if I was right.
ScottS
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King said:

Edwards has 0 years of eligibility. Yes she is gone.
Did she use a COVID year?
ScottyB_The_Baylor_King
Yes she did. She had to sit out last year because of no waiver and then this year was only year at Baylor to play.
Easy Money
Tooooooo slow
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.