Letitia James threatens to seize Trump's real estate properties

5,687 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by Porteroso
muddybrazos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
4th and Inches said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

Its tyrannical that Trump's bond is $464 million in a case where no parties were harmed and even some of them defended Trump. Even some lefties and democrats think its gone too far.

They might try to seize Trump Tower...

If you have TDS and think Trump is crazy, realize that Joe Biden is actually pulling off what you think Trump would do to his enemies.

This is NYC libs being NYC libs. In no way is this Biden's thing. Don't you have enough political ammo already, without making stuff up?
If New York can bankrupt a billionaire because they don't like him, who's next? Anybody that doesn't agree with Leticia James politically? If this scenario is allowed to stand, this could happen to each and every one of us. The rogue judge can just set your bond at a level you can't pay and take away your right to an appeal. Then take everything you have.

This should be be concerning to EVERY American.
the state of New York has lost 600,000 residents since 2020, businesses are now leaving as well.
And this sucks for the rest of us especially those of us on the east coast that dont want the constant influx of ahole yankees moving here. I see NY, NJ, Mass and CT plates everywhere i go.
KaiBear
Porteroso said:

KaiBear said:

Porteroso said:

KaiBear said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

Its tyrannical that Trump's bond is $464 million in a case where no parties were harmed and even some of them defended Trump. Even some lefties and democrats think its gone too far.

If you have TDS and think Trump is crazy, realize that Joe Biden is actually pulling off what you think Trump would do to his enemies.

This is NYC libs being NYC libs. In no way is this Biden's thing. Don't you have enough political ammo already, without making stuff up?
You are so naive.

There is zero chance NY Democrats would be puling these stunts without the prior approval of Biden and his handlers..

Yes and all Republican state governments asked Trump before they did anything too, how could I forget they are all the same big bad guy?

Why does politics have to be simplified down to a TelleTubby level?
Do you ever read about American politics ?

Damn it's amazing just how stupid our electorate is.

And this forum is supposedly inhabited by college educated individuals.

Good God they should make the ownership of real estate a requirement for voting .
80% of the foolishness in our country's policies would be eliminated as if by magic.

When I went to Baylor they required Political Science. In that class we learned that in fact, the state government must not ask the federal government's permission before bringing charges of state law violations, nor ask before enforcing the punishment.

That is why your claim here,
Quote:

zero chance NY Democrats would be puling these stunts without the prior approval of Biden
seems to be mislead. Do you have knowledge of our government that my polisci professor did not?

Dear God Almighty ;

Such interactions have gone on between state and federal party officials since at least Andrew Jackson's administration.

Frank Galvin
KaiBear said:

Porteroso said:

KaiBear said:

Porteroso said:

KaiBear said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

You are so naive.

There is zero chance NY Democrats would be puling these stunts without the prior approval of Biden and his handlers..

Yes and all Republican state governments asked Trump before they did anything too, how could I forget they are all the same big bad guy?

Why does politics have to be simplified down to a TelleTubby level?
Do you ever read about American politics ?

Damn it's amazing just how stupid our electorate is.

And this forum is supposedly inhabited by college educated individuals.

Good God they should make the ownership of real estate a requirement for voting .
80% of the foolishness in our country's policies would be eliminated as if by magic.

When I went to Baylor they required Political Science. In that class we learned that in fact, the state government must not ask the federal government's permission before bringing charges of state law violations, nor ask before enforcing the punishment.

That is why your claim here,
Quote:

zero chance NY Democrats would be puling these stunts without the prior approval of Biden
seems to be mislead. Do you have knowledge of our government that my polisci professor did not?

Dear God Almighty ;

Such interactions have gone on between state and federal party officials since at least Andrew Jackson's administration.

And get resolved in court.

What evidence is there that the White House or the AG's office has anything to do with state prosecutions of Trump? Or are you arguing that the feds should somehow try to interfere with state prosecutions?

You have no evidence of the first and the second is among the least conservative positions one could take.
J.R.
KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

If New York can bankrupt a billionaire because they don't like him, who's next? Anybody that doesn't agree with Leticia James politically? If this scenario is allowed to stand, this could happen to each and every one of us. The rogue judge can just set your bond at a level you can't pay and take away your right to an appeal. Then take everything you have.

obviously not a Billionaire as I have always said.

LOL

Sure it's super easy to get a bond for over half a billion dollars .

Companies on every street corner. I prefer the ones with a drive through .

He has tried 30 different companies and they all said NO. Nobody would take his hard assets as collateral and not liquid.
redfish961
Admittedly, I'm pretty naive on how this works.

Is it common to require a bond in order to file an appeal?

J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

Trump's net worth is absolutely in the billions.

If he was able to liquidate all of this assets it would be worth billions easily.

I mean dude there's buildings in NY half the size of Trump tower going for $800M...
So, I guess you have seen his balance sheet? I don't guess you have kept up with Office building vacancies in Manhattan. They are in the tank and so are Trumps .
Frank Galvin
redfish961 said:

Anyone can appeal without a bond. The purpose of the bond is to prevent the judgment from being enforced while the appeal is pending.

It is common but there are rules that would allow the judge to stop enforcement of the judgment while the appeal goes forward with no or reduced bond.

The underlying question is what security exists that the plaintiff will be able to collect its judgment if it wins the appeal.

As I mentioned above, it seems to me that in an unusual situation like this that liens can do the same thing as the bond.
Mothra
J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

Being a billionaire and having liquidity are two different things.
Forest Bueller_bf
Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

It looks like Communism or Nazism is what it looks like.

People try to undervalue their property for Property Tax and overvalue it to get a loan all the time.

Just watch Shark Tank, that is everybody all day long. It's not just on Shark Tank.

Trump can put any value he wishes on a property and it's the Banks Loan Officers job to put their proper evaluation on the property and deny a Loan if doesn't meet their requirements.

This is a total bull**** move by a corrupt state.

I have watched scores of Shark Tank episodes and missed the ones where the pitch is for " the Property Liar" product.

Also, lying on a loan application is and should be a crime.

Finally, Trump likely would not be in this situation if his trial strategy had been something other than to tell the judge to F off.

I agree the fine is way too much. Give the appellate court a chance to rule on a reduced bond before declaring the whole system corrupt.

By the way, I don't see why it would be so difficult to allow a lien on property pending the outcome of the appeal while enjoining foreclosure until Trump has exhausted his appeals.
I think you know what I mean, everybody overvalues their assets. That what Trump did, that's what Shark Tank contestants do, that's what people do with their property when they try to sell it, that's what people do when they try to sell sports cards on ebay. In the end the market will properly evaluate the value of said property. Whether a business, a home, a sports card, a vase, a piece of art etc.

I don't see dems getting their pants in a wad when Bidens son sells $25 art for $750,000 to "associates" to proffer influence from his dad.
4th and Inches
redfish961 said:

it is in NY
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
KaiBear
J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

LOL

Sure it's super easy to get a bond for over half a billion dollars .

Companies on every street corner. I prefer the ones with a drive through .

He has tried 30 different companies and they all said NO. Nobody would take his hard assets as collateral and not liquid.

Well of course not .

The insurance companies aren't fools .

They see exactly what's going on in the state of New York.

But so do the heads of other corporations.

This illegal and disgusting abuse of the state's legal system is only going to accelerate the number of corporations leaving New York.

J.R.
Mothra said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

I'm fully aware! Now, if you are worth several, several, Billion as he claims, he should be able finance the $4OOM. It is kinda like some person who is a "Millionaire" not being able to come up with $250K.
Doc Holliday
J.R. said:

Mothra said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

I'm fully aware! Now, if you are worth several, several, Billion as he claims, he should be able finance the $4OOM. It is kinda like some person who is a "Millionaire" not being able to come up with $250K.
On what grounds do you think financing $400M for any billionaire is easy, especially for something like this where the state has obviously engaged in cruel and unusual punishment? Its simply not true.
Doc Holliday
The eighth amendment says excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

There was a Supreme Court case in 2019, where the question was whether that excessive fines clause applied to the states and the ruling by the Supreme Court was yes it did. The New York State Constitution does have an excessive fine clause as well.

The $464 million penalty is supposed to bear some relation to harm done, but there was never any harm done because there were no victims in this case.

The state is also charging interest every day Trump doesn't pay. Its absolutely insane.
Mothra
J.R. said:

Mothra said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

Again, not necessarily, especially when most of your billions are tied up in real estate.
Frank Galvin
Doc Holliday said:

The eighth amendment says excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

There was a Supreme Court case in 2019, where the question was whether that excessive fines clause applied to the states and the ruling by the Supreme Court was yes it did. The New York State Constitution does have an excessive fine clause as well.

The $464 million penalty is supposed to bear some relation to harm done, but there was never any harm done because there were no victims in this case.

The state is also charging interest every day Trump doesn't pay. Its absolutely insane.
Which he pays only if. the judgment is upheld. Is Trump exempt from intererest? Is that part of his presidential immunity also?

Again-lets see what the appeals court does about the bond. I keep saying it-New York should be able to put a lien on his property but be enjoined from foreclosing. The injunction could be lifted if New York wins the appeal or if there is evidence that Trump is doing something to siphon off or decrease the value of the property.
Frank Galvin
4th and Inches said:

redfish961 said:

it is in NY
No it is not. The bond is not a requirement of the appeal. It is a suggestion of what is necessary to stay enforcement of the judgment during the appeal. Those are two different things,
Frank Galvin
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

People try to undervalue their property for Property Tax and overvalue it to get a loan all the time.

Just watch Shark Tank, that is everybody all day long. It's not just on Shark Tank.

Trump can put any value he wishes on a property and it's the Banks Loan Officers job to put their proper evaluation on the property and deny a Loan if doesn't meet their requirements.

I have watched scores of Shark Tank episodes and missed the ones where the pitch is for " the Property Liar" product.

Finally, Trump likely would not be in this situation if his trial strategy had been something other than to tell the judge to F off.

I agree the fine is way too much. Give the appellate court a chance to rule on a reduced bond before declaring the whole system corrupt.

By the way, I don't see why it would be so difficult to allow a lien on property pending the outcome of the appeal while enjoining foreclosure until Trump has exhausted his appeals.
I think you know what I mean, everybody overvalues their assets. That what Trump did, that's what Shark Tank contestants do, that's what people do with their property when they try to sell it, that's what people do when they try to sell sports cards on ebay. In the end the market will properly evaluate the value of said property. Whether a business, a home, a sports card, a vase, a piece of art etc.

I don't see dems getting their pants in a wad when Bidens son sells $25 art for $750,000 to "associates" to proffer influence from his dad.
No, those are two different things. If I am selling property to a willing buyer the fair market value is whatever we agree to. Fraud is lying about a characteristic of the thing I am selling. On Shark Tank if I say my company is worth $2,000,000.00 and Mark Cuban invests $200,000.00 for 10% he has agreed to my opinion of the value of the company. If I am mistaken on my opinion it is not fraud unless I was in a postion to know more about it than he was and I took advantage of that disparity by intentionally misrepresenting that value.

When Trump said his apartment was three times larger than it actually was, he iwas not just stating an opinion-he was misrepresenting a fact. When he estimated the worth of his properties he knew the rent received, the costs of maintaining, the prospects of his tenants, and other crucial variables a million times better than anyone else. He exploited the difference in knowledge. So he made both actionable factual and opinion representations that were untruthful. (To the extent your claim is "everybody does it" that is not a defense that works for traffic tickets or murder so I don't see how it works here).

The real problem with the case is that the punishment is seriously out of whack with the crime.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

C'mon mannnnnn!!!!!! (As your fearless leader would say). You are smarter than this. I would venture to say you are a millionaire but probably don't have a million bucks sitting around in a money market account. If you do, you're doing it wrong!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Forest Bueller_bf
Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

No, those are two different things. If I am selling property to a willing buyer the fair market value is whatever we agree to. Fraud is lying about a characteristic of the thing I am selling. On Shark Tank if I say my company is worth $2,000,000.00 and Mark Cuban invests $200,000.00 for 10% he has agreed to my opinion of the value of the company. If I am mistaken on my opinion it is not fraud unless I was in a postion to know more about it than he was and I took advantage of that disparity by intentionally misrepresenting that value.

When Trump said his apartment was three times larger than it actually was, he iwas not just stating an opinion-he was misrepresenting a fact. When he estimated the worth of his properties he knew the rent received, the costs of maintaining, the prospects of his tenants, and other crucial variables a million times better than anyone else. He exploited the difference in knowledge. So he made both actionable factual and opinion representations that were untruthful. (To the extent your claim is "everybody does it" that is not a defense that works for traffic tickets or murder so I don't see how it works here).

The real problem with the case is that the punishment is seriously out of whack witht he crime.
I will agree mostly with your last sentence here.

I will also agree with Kevin O'Leary's opinion over yours on base injustice of this witch hunt.

Even with overestimating his value, he easily paid off his loan.

If he had inflated the value and then defaulted on the Loan, I could see your point a bit better.
Frank Galvin
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

The real problem with the case is that the punishment is seriously out of whack witht he crime.

I will also agree with Kevin O'Leary's opinion over yours on base injustice of this witch hunt.

If he had inflated the value and then defaulted on the Loan, I could see your point a bit better.
If you drive drunk and no one gets hurt you committed a crime.

If you drive drunk and kill someone you committed a crime.

The punishments for those crimes are vastly different. Just because no one was hurt by Trump's crime does not render it meaningless. But it was a "misdemeanor" the judge treated as a "capital offense."

O'Leary is a great celebrity, may be a great businessman, but as a legal scholar-not so much.
Wangchung
Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

If you dirve drunk and no one gets hurt you committed a crime.

The punishments for those crimes are vastly different. Just because no one was hurt by Trump's crime does not render it meaningless. But it was a "misdemeanor" the judge treated as a "capital offense."

O'Leary is a great celebrity, may be a great businessman, but as a legal scholar-not so much.
Comparing driving drunk with common practice real estate estimates is crazy.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Frank Galvin
Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

Not the way Trump does real estate.

This whole "it ts common practice to lie your a-s off" is factually incorrect and not a relevant legal principle.
Wangchung
Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

This whole "it ts common practice to lie your a-s off" is factually incorrect and not a relevant legal principle.

Bull. Real estate valuation is negotiated. That common practice of negotiation is not "lying your ass off".
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
J.R.
Fre3dombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

Trump's net worth is absolutely in the billions.

If he was able to liquidate all of this assets it would be worth billions easily.

I mean dude there's buildings in NY half the size of Trump tower going for $800M...

Add to that the $18m that Mar-A-Lago is worth and he's getting closer
You can't just say that. You do not know how much equity is in MaraL. Know Trump that thing is levered unlike nobody's business.
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

Mothra said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

On what grounds do you think financing $400M for any billionaire is easy, especially for something like this where the state has obviously engaged in cruel and unusual punishment? Its simply not true.
We just raised $500M for a Multifamily fund,(80% is levered) so it can be done and nobody is a billionaire. Part of the reason is Trump is a credit risk. He does't pay his bills. That is a fact.
Frank Galvin
Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Wangchung said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Frank Galvin said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

Bull. Real estate valuation is negotiated. That common practice of negotiation is not "lying your ass off".
True. Unrelated to the facts of this case.

The banks were not asking to buy the property.
nein51
J.R. said:

Mothra said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

I have no idea what Trumps finances are and I really don't care tbh. He's a blowhard so probably far less than he says which is still far more than 99% of people on the planet.

However, I'm getting awfully close to that million dollars in assets and I definitely don't have 250k liquid. I could finance it. I could liquidate some items and come up with it but I don't just have it sitting around. Because 25% of your net worth sitting around in liquid cash would be a terrible plan and I am 100% sure you know that.
Frank Galvin
What makes finanicing Trump so difficult is that much of his worth is his brand. His hard assets less his debts probably come out to far less than a billion. I take that from the serial rejections of his bond application-if the bond issuer(s) could collateralize their risk they would regardless of what they think of Trump.

But that is not to say his brand is worthless. It may be worth billions. But a brand is not really suitable collateral.
nein51
Frank Galvin said:

What makes finanicing Trump so difficult is that much of his worth is his brand. His hard assets less his debts probably come out to far less than a billion. I take that from the serial rejections of his bond application-if the bond issuer(s) could collateralize their risk they would regardless of what they think of Trump.

But that is not to say his brand is worthless. It may be worth billions. But a brand is not really suitable collateral.

It doesn't help that he is tied up in commercial RE which is a disaster right now. Office space isn't exactly lighting it up right now, especially in NYC.

And 400 mil is a ton of money. I don't care what you're worth.
Frank Galvin
nein51 said:

Frank Galvin said:

It doesn't help that he is tied up in commercial RE which is a disaster right now. Office space isn't exactly lighting it up right now, especially in NYC.

Agreed. The trial judge is not the last say on the appeal bond. As I have pointed out repeatedly, there is a way out. Liens on existing property protect the state's ability to collect on its judgment, which is the point of the bond.
nein51
Frank Galvin said:

nein51 said:

Frank Galvin said:

Agreed. The trial judge is not the last say on the appeal bond. As I have pointed out repeatedly, there is a way out. Liens on existing property protect the state's ability to collect on its judgment, which is the point of the bond.

Unless he owns the property outright I'm not sure what good the lien does for the state. They would be in second or third position and maybe worse so it's effectively useless. If it goes to default they wouldn't ever see a dime.

Even in an equity position there are maybe a dozen ways he would be protected and the lien would be worthless.

And I suspect a holdings company "owns" most of his RE portfolio anyhow specifically to shield it from personal liability.
J.R.
Frank Galvin said:

nein51 said:

Frank Galvin said:

I do think $500M seems really out of line.
Frank Galvin
nein51 said:

Frank Galvin said:

nein51 said:

Frank Galvin said:

Unless he owns the property outright I'm not sure what good the lien does for the state. They would be in second or third position and maybe worse so it's effectively useless. If it goes to default they wouldn't ever see a dime.

Even in an equity position there are maybe a dozen ways he would be protected and the lien would be worthless.

And I suspect a holdings company "owns" most of his RE portfolio anyhow specifically to shield it from personal liability.
The point of the bond is to not degrade the judgment creditor's postion during the appeal. So if New York would be in a non-equity or low equity position right now, the lien just preserves that position. In other words, if foreclosing on the basis of the judgment today would yield New Yoork zero or a small return, that return is that needs protecting. The lien could accomplish that. For cash assets, I would assume Trump could get a bond that covers those.

As to ownership by another entity, it iwould be an entity that Trump controls and at his direction the entity could agree to the lien. If Trump does not actually own it either directly or indirectly, it isn't subject to execution in the first place and he does not have to worry about it.
nein51
Yeah I think we agree though there may be some lost in translation or poor wording on my part. If nothing else this is an interesting case to me specifically as it pertains to other large NY businesses.

There have to be some Executives right now having some emergency meetings that sound a lot like "could this happen to us and if so what's the best way to mitigate that?"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.