Trump wants aid to Ukraine

4,106 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by KaiBear
Fre3dombear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
whiterock said:

Fre3dombear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Communist sympathizers will vote for Biden while the fascists vote for Trump. I'll take none of the above.

Which leaves you free to criticize the occupant of the White House regardless who it is.

Guess that is a clever approach regarding this free message board; but it won't aid your grandchildren much.

I'm willing to admit I was wrong about him.

Strongly dislike Trump as well.

But now it s either a dementia case with a desire to get the US in still another war or an egomaniac who has a track record of avoiding war.

LOL it's Door #3: it's patently obvious that it would be a major setback for the USA if Russia were to roll up a win in Ukraine. (Which is definitely the case, no matter how hard you work to ignore it.)

It's also bad politics to be saddled with a big loss….

Bad politics to ignore the will of the American people by ignoring their needs over that of a country most still can't find on a map.

Bad politics to pretend that most Americans are willing to pay for Ukraine's defense indefinitely.

However it's horrible politics to attempt to drag the American people into still another war. We have seen THAT routine enough to know better.

I said the same thing last year as I complained about Biden slow-walking the aid. We do not have indefinite amounts of time. We need to give Ukraine what it needs to win while we still have public support to do so.

Public support to Do so lolololol

I hadn't seen a Ukraine flag in 2 years lol
Reading comprehension error. Polling is quite clear that the public still wants, by wide margins, Ukraine to win, while it is evenly divided on whether or not we are spending too much or not enough to make that happen. That clearly suggests that the support is down from high levels right after the invasion, and is declining slowly over time. Ergo my last statement "we need to give Ukraine what it needs to win while we still have the support to do so."

If whatever media is left reporting about Ukraine (and their epic failure to defeat Russia) just quit publishing anything about it, scant few Americans would even know it occurred 3 weeks from now
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Because google search is well known for providing fair and balanced information?

"I found it remarkable that not a single anti-abortion commentary about this very Catholic question showed up until page five of the Google results. So, I tried the same comparative search with socially charged questions, including: Should I help my teen transition their gender? Are unarmed Black men at greater risk for being shot by police? Are white Christians really the greatest threat to American democracy? And, is climate change really going to burn up the planet?

What I found interesting about the first-page results (where an estimated 92% of clicks come from) was that the Google results presented near-unanimous results directing me to a single, monolithic answer. Thus, parents wondering whether they should help their teen transition their gender were gently nudged to allay their concerns. People asking about white Christians and democracy were assured that white nationalists were an even greater threat than imagined. And people inquiring about climate change were warned, with absolutely no equivocation, that "the climate disaster is here" and there is no hope for "the unhabitable Earth."

https://www.deseret.com/2022/10/30/23387827/google-freespoke-search-engines-censorship-conservatives/

So Whiterock, the retired spook, is asking you to use a government affiliated search engine that is going to give you a government approved answer about everything Ukraine. Think better, and understand that a guy like MacGregor who has direct exposure to somewhat modern warfare has a better handle on things than a boomer who chased Bolsheviks in Ladas half a century ago.

LOL I know all that about Google, first hand, but my specific reference was generic = quick research. And in this case, facts are facts, buddy. There is an aid package. It has stuff in it. You can search any engine you want to use and you will find the same stuff listed - 155m arty rounds, longer range ATACMS, replenishment of Patriot batteries (plus more batteries), vehicles, etc...... We are shipping in more than enough ammo to stabilize the front lines. $1b worth is already pre-positioned and will be delivered in days. There's also additional Presidential draw-down authority. (if you don't immediately know what that means, it means you don't google enough and should reflect on whether or not you know enough to be commenting on the subject material.)

And this is before we get to the question of the impact of the passage of the aid package will have on NATO allies. Some have been waiting on us to act before stepping up their own aid levels, so our aid will not be the totality of what will be provided over the coming weeks.

Example of the kind of stuff you should be reading:
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-preparing-1-bln-weapons-package-ukraine-officials-say-2024-04-23/
But you have to actually try to educate yourself if you're going to catch up to the boomers.

Your article confirms what I said. $1 billion for immediate aid, $8 billion in additional PDA, and tens of billions -- by far the bulk of the appropriation -- to replace weapons already sent.
LOL, uh...nope. You are (again) missing the details.

$29b...half is direct war-fighting aid, $14b of which is for lethal stuff (arms/ammo), and $15b of which is for combat support (meals, meds, commo, uniforms, training, intel, etc.....). Replenishment monies are about a third. The rest is non-military aid to Ukrainian Govt.
https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-aid-congress-senate-china-d7b4846de76a1dfe5d2207b7eb6eeead

The "replenishment" number hints at what you missed = Presidential Drawdown Authority. PDA has its own annual statutory cap = $11b. POTUS can, on his own judgment, give up to $11b or military aid wherever he/she sees fit. The replenishment funding in the bill is merely restocking what was given last year under under the 2023 PDA limit That, of course, means that Biden now has another $11b in PDA authority for FY 2024 IN ADDITION to the funding in the aid bill. Some of that will go to Taiwan and/or Israel, but one could reasonably expect the lion's share to go to Ukraine.

The $1b in lethal aid already prepositioned for delivery in hours is under PDA.

The replenishment provided in the bill means that, from a military readiness standpoint, we have enough inventory to provide $11b in aid without affecting our own readiness.

$23 billion of the appropriation is to replace weapons that have already been delivered.. Perhaps another $4 billion pays for weapons in the process of being delivered. Only about $10 billion represents weapons yet to be produced and shipped.

Bottom line, most of this aid is already on the battlefield.
PDA is an authorization, not a funding source.
That's exactly what I'm trying to explain to you. PDA doesn't cause weapons to magically appear.
LOL Good Grief, Sam!!! PDA does indeed make weapons magically appear. We pull them today out of existing inventory and ship them tomorrow directly to the battlefield. That is precisely the purpose of PDA...emergency capability to respond first and get funding later.

You seem to think all those Abrams, F-16s, etc. are just sitting around waiting to be distributed whenever and wherever.
Indeed they are. We pulled 400 M1 Abrahms off-line with the USMC and sold them to Poland last year. We could have shipped all of them to Ukraine and let Poland purchase new models off the production line. We have THOUSANDS of Abrahms and Bradleys in active service and could spare a few hundred for a few months until we pull a corresponding number of out of the boneyards (where we have THOUSANDS of each in storage). Your disconnect with reality here is orbital.

Kind of like you think our massive GDP number means we can produce anything we want overnight and automatically win the arms race with the flick of a pen.
It most certainly does. And if we sign a big enough purchase order, ordnance manufacturers will add capacity which will be on line in a few months. Lockheed fired up a new production line for F-16s in Nov 2022. You know how that started? With the flick of a pen. They produced 8 last year and will be at a rate of 4 per month (48/yr) by 2025. The quicker you flick the pen, the quicker that kind of production happens.

The reality is that our resources are allocated in certain ways, and diverting them involves a trade-off. It affects readiness long before the number of stocks reaches zero.
Dude. The numbers involved in our aid to Ukraine are a pin-***** on our readiness. Only a handful of missile systems are even in question.

As Mearsheimer and others have pointed out, there's no sign that we have large numbers of the needed stocks available to give to Ukraine. Apparently we have more Bradleys than we know what to do with, so we're handing out a lot of them. Unfortunately that isn't what Ukraine needs right now.
Your argument presumes that we are already at full capacity short of full mobilization. That is comically incorrect. Our suppliers have to make a profit. To do that, they have to tool up for peacetime replenishment programs - replacement of old systems due to shelf-life or technological obsolescence issues. They can 2x, 3x, 4x and more if we commit to purchase enough to justify the investment. All it takes is a purchase order and they will do it. See the F-16 example above. 14 months to full production on one of the more complicated things we make. 155m arty rounds are terribly simple things. Increase in orders of magnitude would take weeks to accomplish. All it takes i the flick of a pen.

By the way, bear in mind that when this package fails to turn the tide -- and it will fail -- you're going to be obliged to belittle it and accuse Biden of "slow-walking" and "trickling out the aid." So you might want to think twice before over-hyping it too much. Just saying.
He has been slow-walking the aid. Ukrainian pilots should have been in F-16 training BEFORE Russia invaded. (We do want to sell F-16s, don't we?) It is profoundly stupid that we did not do it immediately after the war started.
Our massive GDP does indeed mean that with the signature of a purchase order, factories start building production of ordnance and weapons systems at a rates Russia cannot hope to match. Their economy is smaller than Texas, yet you are trying to make the case that it is the USA which is resource constrained. Far from it. Our limitation is the wisdom of the current POTUS, who has a policy of "however long it takes" instead of "BOHICA, buddy."

Put down the shovel, Sam! You really do not understand the subject material at all. The moment a POTUS signs the purchase order to as much as double our production of arty and missile rounds, Russia will pivot to diplomacy. They know they cannot compete. Their only hope is that the anti-war argument wins out in western Parliaments.

Here's the strategic lesson you are missing:
Nato peacetime replenishment production capacity is sufficient to match Russia military production at full mobilziation. The path to victory here is quite elementary.

Their GDP is actually a bit larger than Canada's. But you really don't understand the economics at all. Russia spent years subsidizing their defense industry and building up surge capacity to prepare for this situation. It would take us even longer, given the obstacles in a profit-based system where funding is unpredictable and inconsistent. The necessary industrial base and supply chains just aren't there.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/02/draft-pentagon-strategy-china-00129764
LOL not only do I have two degrees in a macro-economic discipline (trade), I can even read simple charts. The Texas economy, per State of Tx website, is $2.4T, ranking 8th on all three lists, well ahead of BOTH Russia and Canada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)#Table

Add in the $16T GDP of the EU zone and Russia is facing a 20-1 macroeconomic disadvantage.

How can you expect to be taken seriously when you argue that Russia has a industrial base which can outproduce that of Nato/EU? Nato/EU as far higher productivity rates. Nato/EU suffers not from technological limitations that Russia faces. Nato/EU peacetime military production dwarfs Russian war footing output.

All we have to do is sign purchase orders......

Russia is spending ONE-THIRD of its federal budget on the Ukraine War = $109B. They are already all-in. Nothing left to give.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/everything-front-russia-allots-third-2024-spending-defence-2023-10-02/

NATO is spending 10x that PEACETIME.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/everything-front-russia-allots-third-2024-spending-defence-2023-10-02/

We double aid to Ukraine, Russia folds.

Your economic and military expertise has served you well. I don't think there's a poster here who's capable of misunderstanding this war in greater depth than you do. But you do need to call your buddies at the Pentagon and let them in on your plan. They just put out a report on our deep, systemic problems with supply and production, which they say will take a generation to fix. Tell them to take those pens and get to flicking!

Seriously though, I wonder whether you believe half the stuff that you post here ("human wave" assaults, anyone?). We could double our aid to Ukraine and still not produce half of what Russia does. And remember we have a global empire to maintain, plus that war with China that you maniacs are already planning. Speaking of which, the Chinese have yet to commit their aid in a serious way. You are really playing one-dimensional chess if you think they'd just let us roll over the Russians.\
Last link in my prior post was incorrect. Here's the proper one:
https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/2022/6/pdf/220627-def-exp-2022-en.pdf

Shake out all the cobwebs in your brain and read those links carefully. You will see:
The military portion of the aid package just passed is nearly 40% of the entire Russian defense budget.
Nato defense spending, peacetime levels, is over $1T.
Russia defense spending, fully mobilized is, from multiple sources, $109B.
NATO aid (all purposes) to Ukraine exceeds Russia's entire MOD budget; and Nato military aid this year will roughly equal it. Chart below does not include the bill Congress just passed, or the additional PDA available for this year.

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/topics/war-against-ukraine/ukraine-support-tracker/

Russia cannot win a war of attrition against NATO, where Nato factories are effectively matching Russian production without interruption at peacetime capacity while suffering no casualties. Russia, by comparison, is fully mobilized and losing tens of thousands of soldiers per month. A puppy cannot pull a freight train, no matter how earnestly you insist it is so.

Your Chinese strawman is cute. China has not committed serious military aid, and will not do so as long as the struggle remains contained to Ukraine. Since Nato has no intention of invading Russia, Chinese involvement is not likely to change. Neither will it change should Russia fail in Ukraine and go home. China, you see, actually does have virtually no interest in what happens in Ukraine. China will keep its powder dry for Taiwan and other contingencies in Asia. China's interest in Russia is limited to maintaining the stability of the Russian state. China could be expected to Marshall Plan Russia, massive economic aid, should Russia face worst case scenarios from a loss in Ukraine.

Biden is playing down to Russia's level, apparently to avoid escalation. I fundamentally disagree with that strategy, as it presumes the American people will support indefinitely a policy which seeks to simply hold the line and let Russia wear itself out. it seems clear to me that is the one policy the American people do NOT want to see. They would more easily support an increase in aid to force Russia to back down, which it would have no option but to do.

We could go on on this point a bit. Here's an assessment from last fall indicating Russia had a goal of devoting 40% of its budget to war-time production. But the actual budge (link above) shows it only made it to 33%. That's called "hitting the wall." Russia is maxed out......
https://www.wilsoncenter.org/blog-post/russias-unprecedented-war-budget-explained

but keep talking about how we "could double aid and not produce half of what Russia does." You need that to be true. Unfortunately, it's laughably incorrect, because of the Russia part of the equation. Nato definitely could double production, effortlessly....with the flick of a pen. Russia, on the other hand, is already maxed out and likely will struggle to maintain its current effort.
KaiBear
Gotten to the point whenever I see a voluminous, multi paragraph post …….

I just assume it is Whiterock and skip reading it.
whiterock
KaiBear said:

Gotten to the point whenever I see a voluminous, multi paragraphed post …….

Sam does too, so you're in good company.
KaiBear
whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

Sam does too, so you're in good company.

All good company here; it's a FREE message board.

Hallelujah.

muddybrazos
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

muddybrazos said:

whiterock said:

muddybrazos said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Communist sympathizers will vote for Biden while the fascists vote for Trump. I'll take none of the above.

Which leaves you free to criticize the occupant of the White House regardless who it is.

Guess that is a clever approach regarding this free message board; but it won't aid your grandchildren much.

But now it s either a dementia case with a desire to get the US in still another war or an egomaniac who has a track record of avoiding war.

LOL it's Door #3: it's patently obvious that it would be a major setback for the USA if Russia were to roll up a win in Ukraine. (Which is definitely the case, no matter how hard you work to ignore it.)

This is my exact point. Ukraine cannot win this conflict. We are spending money in Ukraine because it creates Russian citizen dissent towards Putin and puts them in a bad financial situation. Of course, it puts us in a bad financial situation as well but our taxpayers don't seem to care. And our administration can say we are trying to help the Ukrainians instead of saying they got us into a war.

Ultimately, if we don't want Russia to win, then we need to physically be there at the border. It won't cost much more to do it than we're spending now but it won't be popular. If we think Russia is gonna win anyways then stop spending money. Help the citizens get out, give humanitarian aid, and be done.
Faulty assumption. If NATO will supply Ukraine with enough arty rounds,
[Money Down A Ukrainian Rathole:

US supporters of Ukraine are probably still basking in the Slava Ukraini glow from the House's vote this past weekend. Allow Philip Pilkington to cast a shadow of realism across your smiling faces:
Quote:

Quote:
The second problem is a military one. First of all, the Ukrainians are experiencing a personnel crisis. They have already sent much of their male population to the frontline (to be killed or injured) and they are now having trouble pressing more men into service. Obviously, an aid bill cannot help with this grim reality. Secondly, they have severe weapons and ammunition shortages. American lawmakers say that the aid package will solve this by providing more weapons, but the reality is that these weapons do not exist because the Western powers lack the industrial power to produce them.
This is where the potential for a legitimacy crisis comes in. Supporters of the package have now promised that it will keep the Russian army at bay. Yet it is becoming increasingly clear that Ukrainian defence lines are buckling and there is even chatter that the city of Kharkiv might fall to the Russians in the coming weeks. Some are speculating that Russia might be gearing up for a major offensive either in spring or summer.
If Russia does start to take major amounts of territory or, worse, if the Ukrainian frontline collapses altogether then the American public will watch the promises used to justify the aid package collapse in real time.
Do you understand what he's saying? All that money cannot buy Ukrainian soldiers who don't exist, nor can it buy weapons that haven't been built yet. So, when Ukraine falls to Russia later this year, what happens when the American people see that all this money was wasted and that US lawmakers had every reason to know that it could not win the war for Ukraine, because Ukraine's problems are beyond the ability of money to solve?
To put a finer point on it: what happens when the American people begin to understand that the ruling class including many Republicans in Washington spent tens of billions of dollars that could have been used (say) to protect the ungoverned US southern border, instead of Ukraine's border with Russia … and have nothing to show for it?]
We understand what he's saying, but he doesn't know what he's talking about:

"Philip Pilkington is a macroeconomist and investment professional, and the author of The Reformation in Economics"
Well, he is right that we have no more missiles and ammo. We also dont have the industrial capacity to make more misslies and ammo to supply Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan. It would probably take 10 years to get stockpiles up to fight these wars.
Not true. We have industrial capacity to spare.

We are currently operating on peacetime replenishment rates.....industrial capacity to maintain existing stocks, to replace outdated stocks, and develop new systems. We can, with he flick of a pen, expand production by orders of magnitude. Defense industries are not going to tool up for more capacity unless they get confirmed long-term contracts in hand. If Biden will just sign the purchase orders, the flow can double, triple, etc......

Russia, on the other hand, has almost fully mobilized its industry. Whatever you think Russian capacity is, multiply it times 20x and that's what Nato can do.

Dude. Russia has a smaller economy than TEXAS.

I'm just going by what I heard from Macgregor 6 months ago. Dont we have less manufacturing capability than we had say 10 or 20 years ago thanks to green BS offshoring our factories?
Nah, we don't need factories…just the flick of a pen!
A flick of a pen is all it takes. We have plenty of factories, but they are not going to restructure to increase production capacity unless they have SIGNED PURCHASE ORDERS to justify the investment.
So CNN is saying Russia has double the output of the US & Nato in artillery production

Exclusive: Russia producing three times more artillery shells than US and Europe for Ukraine

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/10/politics/russia-artillery-shell-production-us-europe-ukraine/index.html
Sam Lowry
KaiBear said:

It can all be summed up in a line: Whiterock budget bigger than Vlad budget.

With no consideration of our industrial base or its practical limitations.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Because google search is well known for providing fair and balanced information?

"I found it remarkable that not a single anti-abortion commentary about this very Catholic question showed up until page five of the Google results. So, I tried the same comparative search with socially charged questions, including: Should I help my teen transition their gender? Are unarmed Black men at greater risk for being shot by police? Are white Christians really the greatest threat to American democracy? And, is climate change really going to burn up the planet?

What I found interesting about the first-page results (where an estimated 92% of clicks come from) was that the Google results presented near-unanimous results directing me to a single, monolithic answer. Thus, parents wondering whether they should help their teen transition their gender were gently nudged to allay their concerns. People asking about white Christians and democracy were assured that white nationalists were an even greater threat than imagined. And people inquiring about climate change were warned, with absolutely no equivocation, that "the climate disaster is here" and there is no hope for "the unhabitable Earth."

https://www.deseret.com/2022/10/30/23387827/google-freespoke-search-engines-censorship-conservatives/

So Whiterock, the retired spook, is asking you to use a government affiliated search engine that is going to give you a government approved answer about everything Ukraine. Think better, and understand that a guy like MacGregor who has direct exposure to somewhat modern warfare has a better handle on things than a boomer who chased Bolsheviks in Ladas half a century ago.

LOL I know all that about Google, first hand, but my specific reference was generic = quick research. And in this case, facts are facts, buddy. There is an aid package. It has stuff in it. You can search any engine you want to use and you will find the same stuff listed - 155m arty rounds, longer range ATACMS, replenishment of Patriot batteries (plus more batteries), vehicles, etc...... We are shipping in more than enough ammo to stabilize the front lines. $1b worth is already pre-positioned and will be delivered in days. There's also additional Presidential draw-down authority. (if you don't immediately know what that means, it means you don't google enough and should reflect on whether or not you know enough to be commenting on the subject material.)

And this is before we get to the question of the impact of the passage of the aid package will have on NATO allies. Some have been waiting on us to act before stepping up their own aid levels, so our aid will not be the totality of what will be provided over the coming weeks.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-preparing-1-bln-weapons-package-ukraine-officials-say-2024-04-23/
But you have to actually try to educate yourself if you're going to catch up to the boomers.

Your article confirms what I said. $1 billion for immediate aid, $8 billion in additional PDA, and tens of billions -- by far the bulk of the appropriation -- to replace weapons already sent.

$29b...half is direct war-fighting aid, $14b of which is for lethal stuff (arms/ammo), and $15b of which is for combat support (meals, meds, commo, uniforms, training, intel, etc.....). Replenishment monies are about a third. The rest is non-military aid to Ukrainian Govt.
https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-aid-congress-senate-china-d7b4846de76a1dfe5d2207b7eb6eeead

The "replenishment" number hints at what you missed = Presidential Drawdown Authority. PDA has its own annual statutory cap = $11b. POTUS can, on his own judgment, give up to $11b or military aid wherever he/she sees fit. The replenishment funding in the bill is merely restocking what was given last year under under the 2023 PDA limit That, of course, means that Biden now has another $11b in PDA authority for FY 2024 IN ADDITION to the funding in the aid bill. Some of that will go to Taiwan and/or Israel, but one could reasonably expect the lion's share to go to Ukraine.

The replenishment provided in the bill means that, from a military readiness standpoint, we have enough inventory to provide $11b in aid without affecting our own readiness.

$23 billion of the appropriation is to replace weapons that have already been delivered.. Perhaps another $4 billion pays for weapons in the process of being delivered. Only about $10 billion represents weapons yet to be produced and shipped.

That's exactly what I'm trying to explain to you. PDA doesn't cause weapons to magically appear.
LOL Good Grief, Sam!!! PDA does indeed make weapons magically appear. We pull them today out of existing inventory and ship them tomorrow directly to the battlefield. That is precisely the purpose of PDA...emergency capability to respond first and get funding later.

You seem to think all those Abrams, F-16s, etc. are just sitting around waiting to be distributed whenever and wherever.
Indeed they are. We pulled 400 M1 Abrahms off-line with the USMC and sold them to Poland last year. We could have shipped all of them to Ukraine and let Poland purchase new models off the production line. We have THOUSANDS of Abrahms and Bradleys in active service and could spare a few hundred for a few months until we pull a corresponding number of out of the boneyards (where we have THOUSANDS of each in storage). Your disconnect with reality here is orbital.

Kind of like you think our massive GDP number means we can produce anything we want overnight and automatically win the arms race with the flick of a pen.
It most certainly does. And if we sign a big enough purchase order, ordnance manufacturers will add capacity which will be on line in a few months. Lockheed fired up a new production line for F-16s in Nov 2022. You know how that started? With the flick of a pen. They produced 8 last year and will be at a rate of 4 per month (48/yr) by 2025. The quicker you flick the pen, the quicker that kind of production happens.

The reality is that our resources are allocated in certain ways, and diverting them involves a trade-off. It affects readiness long before the number of stocks reaches zero.
Dude. The numbers involved in our aid to Ukraine are a pin-***** on our readiness. Only a handful of missile systems are even in question.

As Mearsheimer and others have pointed out, there's no sign that we have large numbers of the needed stocks available to give to Ukraine. Apparently we have more Bradleys than we know what to do with, so we're handing out a lot of them. Unfortunately that isn't what Ukraine needs right now.
Your argument presumes that we are already at full capacity short of full mobilization. That is comically incorrect. Our suppliers have to make a profit. To do that, they have to tool up for peacetime replenishment programs - replacement of old systems due to shelf-life or technological obsolescence issues. They can 2x, 3x, 4x and more if we commit to purchase enough to justify the investment. All it takes is a purchase order and they will do it. See the F-16 example above. 14 months to full production on one of the more complicated things we make. 155m arty rounds are terribly simple things. Increase in orders of magnitude would take weeks to accomplish. All it takes i the flick of a pen.

By the way, bear in mind that when this package fails to turn the tide -- and it will fail -- you're going to be obliged to belittle it and accuse Biden of "slow-walking" and "trickling out the aid." So you might want to think twice before over-hyping it too much. Just saying.
He has been slow-walking the aid. Ukrainian pilots should have been in F-16 training BEFORE Russia invaded. (We do want to sell F-16s, don't we?) It is profoundly stupid that we did not do it immediately after the war started.
Our massive GDP does indeed mean that with the signature of a purchase order, factories start building production of ordnance and weapons systems at a rates Russia cannot hope to match. Their economy is smaller than Texas, yet you are trying to make the case that it is the USA which is resource constrained. Far from it. Our limitation is the wisdom of the current POTUS, who has a policy of "however long it takes" instead of "BOHICA, buddy."

Put down the shovel, Sam! You really do not understand the subject material at all. The moment a POTUS signs the purchase order to as much as double our production of arty and missile rounds, Russia will pivot to diplomacy. They know they cannot compete. Their only hope is that the anti-war argument wins out in western Parliaments.

Nato peacetime replenishment production capacity is sufficient to match Russia military production at full mobilziation. The path to victory here is quite elementary.

Their GDP is actually a bit larger than Canada's. But you really don't understand the economics at all. Russia spent years subsidizing their defense industry and building up surge capacity to prepare for this situation. It would take us even longer, given the obstacles in a profit-based system where funding is unpredictable and inconsistent. The necessary industrial base and supply chains just aren't there.

LOL not only do I have two degrees in a macro-economic discipline (trade), I can even read simple charts. The Texas economy, per State of Tx website, is $2.4T, ranking 8th on all three lists, well ahead of BOTH Russia and Canada.

Add in the $16T GDP of the EU zone and Russia is facing a 20-1 macroeconomic disadvantage.

How can you expect to be taken seriously when you argue that Russia has a industrial base which can outproduce that of Nato/EU? Nato/EU as far higher productivity rates. Nato/EU suffers not from technological limitations that Russia faces. Nato/EU peacetime military production dwarfs Russian war footing output.

Russia is spending ONE-THIRD of its federal budget on the Ukraine War = $109B. They are already all-in. Nothing left to give.

Your economic and military expertise has served you well. I don't think there's a poster here who's capable of misunderstanding this war in greater depth than you do. But you do need to call your buddies at the Pentagon and let them in on your plan. They just put out a report on our deep, systemic problems with supply and production, which they say will take a generation to fix. Tell them to take those pens and get to flicking!

Seriously though, I wonder whether you believe half the stuff that you post here ("human wave" assaults, anyone?). We could double our aid to Ukraine and still not produce half of what Russia does. And remember we have a global empire to maintain, plus that war with China that you maniacs are already planning. Speaking of which, the Chinese have yet to commit their aid in a serious way. You are really playing one-dimensional chess if you think they'd just let us roll over the Russians.\
China's interest in Russia is limited to maintaining the stability of the Russian state.
Exactly. That's the whole point of keeping NATO out of Ukraine.
KaiBear
Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Meanwhile more Ukranian and Russian conscripts die.

whiterock
muddybrazos said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

muddybrazos said:

whiterock said:

muddybrazos said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

This is my exact point. Ukraine cannot win this conflict. We are spending money in Ukraine because it creates Russian citizen dissent towards Putin and puts them in a bad financial situation. Of course, it puts us in a bad financial situation as well but our taxpayers don't seem to care. And our administration can say we are trying to help the Ukrainians instead of saying they got us into a war.

Ultimately, if we don't want Russia to win, then we need to physically be there at the border. It won't cost much more to do it than we're spending now but it won't be popular. If we think Russia is gonna win anyways then stop spending money. Help the citizens get out, give humanitarian aid, and be done.
Faulty assumption. If NATO will supply Ukraine with enough arty rounds,
[Money Down A Ukrainian Rathole:

US supporters of Ukraine are probably still basking in the Slava Ukraini glow from the House's vote this past weekend. Allow Philip Pilkington to cast a shadow of realism across your smiling faces:
Quote:

Quote:
The second problem is a military one. First of all, the Ukrainians are experiencing a personnel crisis. They have already sent much of their male population to the frontline (to be killed or injured) and they are now having trouble pressing more men into service. Obviously, an aid bill cannot help with this grim reality. Secondly, they have severe weapons and ammunition shortages. American lawmakers say that the aid package will solve this by providing more weapons, but the reality is that these weapons do not exist because the Western powers lack the industrial power to produce them.
This is where the potential for a legitimacy crisis comes in. Supporters of the package have now promised that it will keep the Russian army at bay. Yet it is becoming increasingly clear that Ukrainian defence lines are buckling and there is even chatter that the city of Kharkiv might fall to the Russians in the coming weeks. Some are speculating that Russia might be gearing up for a major offensive either in spring or summer.
If Russia does start to take major amounts of territory or, worse, if the Ukrainian frontline collapses altogether then the American public will watch the promises used to justify the aid package collapse in real time.
Do you understand what he's saying? All that money cannot buy Ukrainian soldiers who don't exist, nor can it buy weapons that haven't been built yet. So, when Ukraine falls to Russia later this year, what happens when the American people see that all this money was wasted and that US lawmakers had every reason to know that it could not win the war for Ukraine, because Ukraine's problems are beyond the ability of money to solve?
To put a finer point on it: what happens when the American people begin to understand that the ruling class including many Republicans in Washington spent tens of billions of dollars that could have been used (say) to protect the ungoverned US southern border, instead of Ukraine's border with Russia … and have nothing to show for it?]
We understand what he's saying, but he doesn't know what he's talking about:

"Philip Pilkington is a macroeconomist and investment professional, and the author of The Reformation in Economics"
Well, he is right that we have no more missiles and ammo. We also dont have the industrial capacity to make more misslies and ammo to supply Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan. It would probably take 10 years to get stockpiles up to fight these wars.
Not true. We have industrial capacity to spare.

We are currently operating on peacetime replenishment rates.....industrial capacity to maintain existing stocks, to replace outdated stocks, and develop new systems. We can, with he flick of a pen, expand production by orders of magnitude. Defense industries are not going to tool up for more capacity unless they get confirmed long-term contracts in hand. If Biden will just sign the purchase orders, the flow can double, triple, etc......

Russia, on the other hand, has almost fully mobilized its industry. Whatever you think Russian capacity is, multiply it times 20x and that's what Nato can do.

Dude. Russia has a smaller economy than TEXAS.

I'm just going by what I heard from Macgregor 6 months ago. Dont we have less manufacturing capability than we had say 10 or 20 years ago thanks to green BS offshoring our factories?
Nah, we don't need factories…just the flick of a pen!
A flick of a pen is all it takes. We have plenty of factories, but they are not going to restructure to increase production capacity unless they have SIGNED PURCHASE ORDERS to justify the investment.
So CNN is saying Russia has double the output of the US & Nato in artillery production

Exclusive: Russia producing three times more artillery shells than US and Europe for Ukraine

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/10/politics/russia-artillery-shell-production-us-europe-ukraine/index.html
That is true. Russia is producing double on artillery rounds, because (as I have said repeatedly) it has fully mobilized.

That's actually a big, big problem for Russia, not us. As the article in fact said in several places (as have I) that Russia is all-in, fully mobilized, "put everything they have in the game." We are (as the article and I both said) still working on peacetime production capacity. If we mobilize to the same level Russia has, we produce 10x what Russia produces. But we don't have to do that to win. If we merely mobilize to EQUAL Russian production, we will win, because we can sustain that indefinitely and Russia cannot. That's what a war of attrition is.....a test of who has the stronger supply chain. In that kind of contest, Russia is woefully outmatched.

Good news is, as the article says, Nato is increasing capacity. It is belated, but it is still being done. Sam's argument that we cannot meet Russian production is simply comical. We can swamp them without breaking a sweat. But the factories are not going to run 24/7 or add capacity until somebody flicks a pen and signs a purchase order to cover the investment.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

We agree on the first sentence. There is no pathway to victory that does not involve Nato having equal or greater budget expense than Russia. That is the essence of the conflict.

You are comically misinformed on the second sentence, insisting that Nato, with a 10x larger economy than Russia, can neither outspend or outproduce Russia. Such is wildly disconnected from reality.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

China's interest in Russia is limited to maintaining the stability of the Russian state.
Geez you are a lightweight in this stuff.

There is nothing about the status of Ukraine that affects the stability of the Russian state, per se. Only Russia can do things to affect its own stability (like biting off more than it can chew in Ukraine....)

China is going to continue to do what it's been doing - let Ukraine play out largely on its own merits. If Russia wins, then a black eye for Nato is a benefit to China (on multiple levels). IF a Russian loss in Ukraine sparks instability in Russia, China will happily stabilize Russia......because that increases Chinese influence in Russia!

To the extent that Nato is a factor IN Ukraine.....that is not a threat to China. It is a benefit to China, in that increasing Nato influence in Ukraine (or even membership) makes Russia more dependent on China.

China does not get directly involved in the Russo-Ukrainian War unless Nato engages directly, and even then probably only if there is a sustained, full-scale invasion into Russia.
whiterock
KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

It is beneficial to American soldiers that Ukrainian soldiers are dying in Ukraine to kill Russian soldiers. The Russian army is being attritted by others. All we have to do is write the check.

That is a best case scenario.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

We agree on the first sentence. There is no pathway to victory that does not involve Nato having equal or greater budget expense than Russia. That is the essence of the conflict.

You are comically misinformed on the second sentence, insisting that Nato, with a 10x larger economy than Russia, can neither outspend or outproduce Russia. Such is wildly disconnected from reality.
You are wildly disconnected from reality. Having a large economy doesn't mean much unless it's geared toward the kind of war you're trying to fight. Theoretically of course it can be done...and by that time the war will be long over.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

So Whiterock, the retired spook, is asking you to use a government affiliated search engine that is going to give you a government approved answer about everything Ukraine. %A0Think better, and understand that a guy like MacGregor who has direct exposure to somewhat modern warfare has a better handle on things than a boomer who chased Bolsheviks in Ladas half a century ago.

LOL I know all that about Google, first hand, but my specific reference was generic = quick research. %A0And in this case, facts are facts, buddy. %A0 There is an aid package. %A0It has stuff in it. %A0You can search any engine you want to use and you will find the same stuff listed - 155m arty rounds, longer range ATACMS, replenishment of Patriot batteries (plus more batteries), vehicles, etc...... %A0 %A0 We are shipping in more than enough ammo to stabilize the front lines. %A0 $1b worth is already pre-positioned and will be delivered in days. %A0 There's also additional Presidential draw-down authority. (if you don't immediately know what that means, it means you don't google enough and should reflect on whether or not you know enough to be commenting on the subject material.)

And this is before we get to the question of the impact of the passage of the aid package will have on NATO allies. %A0 Some have been waiting on us to act before stepping up their own aid levels, so our aid will not be the totality of what will be provided over the coming weeks.

Example of the kind of stuff you should be reading: %A0

LOL, uh...nope. %A0You are (again) missing the details. %A0

$29b...half is direct war-fighting aid, $14b of which is for lethal stuff (arms/ammo), and $15b of which is for combat support (meals, meds, commo, uniforms, training, intel, etc.....). %A0 %A0Replenishment monies are about a third. %A0 The rest is non-military aid to Ukrainian Govt.

The "replenishment" number hints at what you missed = Presidential Drawdown Authority. PDA has its own annual statutory cap = $11b. %A0 POTUS can, on his own judgment, give up to $11b or military aid wherever he/she sees fit. %A0 %A0The replenishment funding in the bill is merely restocking what was given last year under under the 2023 PDA limit %A0 That, of course, means that Biden now has another $11b in PDA authority for FY 2024 IN ADDITION to the funding in the aid bill. %A0 Some of that will go to Taiwan and/or Israel, but one could reasonably expect the lion's share to go to Ukraine.

The $1b in lethal aid already prepositioned for delivery in hours is under PDA. %A0 %A0

The replenishment provided in the bill means that, from a military readiness standpoint, we have enough inventory to provide $11b in aid without affecting our own readiness. %A0

LOL Good Grief, Sam!!! %A0PDA does indeed make weapons magically appear. %A0 We pull them today out of existing inventory and ship them tomorrow directly to the battlefield. %A0That is precisely the purpose of PDA...emergency capability to respond first and get funding later. %A0

Indeed they are. %A0We pulled 400 M1 Abrahms off-line with the USMC and sold them to Poland last year. %A0 We could have shipped all of them to Ukraine and let Poland purchase new models off the production line. %A0 We have THOUSANDS of Abrahms and Bradleys in active service and could spare a few hundred for a few months until we pull a corresponding number of out of the boneyards (where we have THOUSANDS of each in storage). %A0 Your disconnect with reality here is orbital.

It most certainly does. %A0 And if we sign a big enough purchase order, ordnance manufacturers will add capacity which will be on line in a few months. %A0 %A0 %A0Lockheed fired up a new production line for F-16s in Nov 2022. %A0You know how that started? %A0With the flick of a pen. %A0 They produced 8 last year and will be at a rate of 4 per month (48/yr) by 2025. %A0 The quicker you flick the pen, the quicker that kind of production happens.

Dude. %A0 The numbers involved in our aid to Ukraine are a pin-***** on our readiness. %A0 Only a handful of missile systems are even in question. %A0

Your argument presumes that we are already at full capacity short of full mobilization. %A0That is comically incorrect. %A0 Our suppliers have to make a profit. %A0 To do that, they have to tool up for peacetime replenishment programs - replacement of old systems due to shelf-life or technological obsolescence issues. %A0 They can 2x, 3x, 4x and more if we commit to purchase enough to justify the investment. %A0 All it takes is a purchase order and they will do it. %A0 %A0See the F-16 example above. 14 months to full production on one of the more complicated things we make. %A0155m arty rounds are terribly simple things. %A0 Increase in orders of magnitude would take weeks to accomplish. %A0 %A0All it takes i the flick of a pen.

He has been slow-walking the aid. %A0 Ukrainian pilots should have been in F-16 training BEFORE Russia invaded. %A0(We do want to sell F-16s, don't we?) %A0 It is profoundly stupid that we did not do it immediately after the war started.
Our massive GDP does indeed mean that with the signature of a purchase order, factories start building production of ordnance and weapons systems at a rates Russia cannot hope to match. %A0 Their economy is smaller than Texas, yet you are trying to make the case that it is the USA which is resource constrained. %A0 %A0Far from it. %A0 Our limitation is the wisdom of the current POTUS, who has a policy of "however long it takes" instead of "BOHICA, buddy."

Put down the shovel, Sam! %A0You really do not understand the subject material at all. %A0 %A0The moment a POTUS signs the purchase order to as much as double our production of arty and missile rounds, Russia will pivot to diplomacy. %A0They know they cannot compete. %A0Their only hope is that the anti-war argument wins out in western Parliaments.

Here's the strategic lesson you are missing: %A0
Nato peacetime replenishment production capacity is sufficient to match Russia military production at full mobilziation. %A0 The path to victory here is quite elementary.

LOL not only do I have two degrees in a macro-economic discipline (trade), I can even read simple charts. %A0The Texas economy, per State of Tx website, is $2.4T, ranking 8th on all three lists, well ahead of BOTH Russia and Canada.

Add in the $16T GDP of the EU zone and Russia is facing a 20-1 macroeconomic disadvantage. %A0

How can you expect to be taken seriously when you argue that Russia has a industrial base which can outproduce that of Nato/EU? %A0 %A0 Nato/EU as far higher productivity rates. %A0Nato/EU suffers not from technological limitations that Russia faces. %A0 %A0 Nato/EU %A0peacetime military production dwarfs Russian war footing output.

Russia is spending ONE-THIRD of its federal budget on the Ukraine War = $109B. %A0 They are already all-in. %A0Nothing left to give.

There is nothing about the status of Ukraine that affects the stability of the Russian state, per se.
LOL
KaiBear
whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

It is beneficial to American soldiers that Ukrainian soldiers are dying in Ukraine to kill Russian soldiers. The Russian army is being attritted by others. All we have to do is write the check.

Yes, using the Ukrainian people as cannon fodder, in a war at least partially manipulatived by the United States, is something to be proud of.

Who can possibly doubt it ?
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

You are wildly disconnected from reality. Having a large economy doesn't mean much unless it's geared toward the kind of war you're trying to fight. Theoretically of course it can be done...and by that time the war will be long over.
LOL we are already "geared" to fight a big-fires war on equal footing with Russia, who is at max-effort while we are at peacetime levels and have the resources to 10x our production.

So many factors you overlook. It is incredibly difficult to ramp up production to meet shortages of current systems and simultaneously develop new technologies, which even if successful would require substantial, effectively zero-su, reordering of the supply chain. Japan and Germany had superior aircraft (and lots of other things) at the start of WWII, but couldn't replace losses AND bring new fighter systems on-line in numbers that would have made a difference. Russia is in exactly that position now. They're fully committed to supporting what they have (at a fairly rudimentary level). Nato now has the luxury of understanding what Russia can and cannot do, and can build to exploit the weaknesses.

It's a corollary of the old maxim about victory going the general who commits his reserves LAST. Russia is exposed. They will not be able to counter a Nato intervention.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

There is nothing about the status of Ukraine that affects the stability of the Russian state, per se.
LOL
Please explain how a safe, prosperous Ukraine destabilizes the Russian state. It certainly did not do so after the fall of the USSR. In fact, Russia recovered from the collapse and rebuilt itself well enough to launch off on the largest European land war since WWII. The existence of an independent Ukraine does not destabilize anything other than Russian delusions of grandeur.
whiterock
KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Yes, using the Ukrainian people as cannon fodder, in a war at least partially manipulatived by the United States, is something to be proud of.

Pfft. The USG did not manipulate Ukrainians to rise up to resist Russian invasion. The Ukrainians did that on their own, as could be expected of the peoples of any nation to do when invaded. That supporting Ukrainian defense of Ukraine happens to also benefit the citizens of Nato is nothing to be ashamed of. It's an obvious reality. We should support the Ukranians until they decide they can give no more.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

LOL we are already "geared" to fight a big-fires war on equal footing with Russia, who is at max-effort while we are at peacetime levels and have the resources to 10x our production.

So many factors you overlook. It is incredibly difficult to ramp up production to meet shortages of current systems and simultaneously develop new technologies, which even if successful would require substantial, effectively zero-su, reordering of the supply chain. Japan and Germany had superior aircraft (and lots of other things) at the start of WWII, but couldn't replace losses AND bring new fighter systems on-line in numbers that would have made a difference. Russia is in exactly that position now. They're fully committed to supporting what they have (at a fairly rudimentary level). Nato now has the luxury of understanding what Russia can and cannot do, and can build to exploit the weaknesses.

It's a corollary of the old maxim about victory going the general who commits his reserves LAST. Russia is exposed. They will not be able to counter a Nato intervention.
Obviously you've been grossly exaggerating Russian losses from the get-go, but we're not going to agree on that. The point is that committing reserves last doesn't mean committing them four or five years after the battle is over. That's the position we're in now.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Obviously you've been grossly exaggerating Russian losses from the get-go, but we're not going to agree on that. The point is that committing reserves last doesn't mean committing them four or five years after the battle is over. That's the position we're in now.
That's the position Russia is in now.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

LOL
Please explain how a safe, prosperous Ukraine destabilizes the Russian state. It certainly did not do so after the fall of the USSR. In fact, Russia recovered from the collapse and rebuilt itself well enough to launch off on the largest European land war since WWII. The existence of an independent Ukraine does not destabilize anything other than Russian delusions of grandeur.
An independent Ukraine doesn't destabilize Russia. That's why we refuse to accept it.
KaiBear
whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Pfft. The USG did not manipulate Ukrainians to rise up to resist Russian invasion. The Ukrainians did that on their own, as could be expected of the peoples of any nation to do when invaded. That supporting Ukrainian defense of Ukraine happens to also benefit the citizens of Nato is nothing to be ashamed of. It's an obvious reality. We should support the Ukranians until they decide they can give no more.

Why don't you just admit playing general from the safety of your computer keyboard gives you a reason to get up in the morning.

Clearly war cranks you.

As long of course as it is someone else doing the dying.
whiterock
KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Why don't you just admit playing general from the safety of your computer keyboard gives you a reason to get up in the morning.

Clearly war cranks you.

No, war cranks the Russians, who started this one.

And as long as the Ukrainians are willing to die to defend their country, we should support them, as numerous benefits accrue to us when Russians are bogged down in a war of attrition they cannot win.
KaiBear
whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Clearly war cranks you.

No, war cranks the Russians, who started this one.

And as long as the Ukrainians are willing to die to defend their country, we should support them, as numerous benefits accrue to us when Russians are bogged down in a war of attrition they cannot win.

Bull

When a guy posts hundreds of words daily about a slaughterhouse thousands of miles away from his computer keyboard…….it clearly cranks him.

Though not enough to get him to enlist in the Ukrainian army even though they are now desperate for replacements.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.