Football
Sponsored by

* * Old Baylor Football or Football Related Photos

29,079 Views | 355 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?

The Ags vs Bears, it shows 1959 but the artist defiantly drew an early 1900's piece
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin

The Noze knows! 1969 courtesy Baylor Flickr
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Stranger
Assassin said:

I NoZe that guy personally!
I'm a Bearbacker
Assassin
Stranger said:

Assassin said:

I NoZe that guy personally!
Of course you duz!
Assassin

Floyd Casey, aka Baylor Stadium lit up. Courtesy Flickr
Assassin
Assassin

UT game brochure from 1963... Bearbecue
Assassin

A Bill McClahahan piece
Assassin

Courtesy Dirk West
Stranger
Assassin said:

In the words of our greatest president, Abner McCall . . . "ever since the war, nothing but queers and perverts in the NoZe". We were in his office when he muttered that. Then we all laughed out loud. Highlight of my NoZe career.

We should all be so lucky to have that bunch of guys
(including Abner) at Baylor these days.
I'm a Bearbacker
Assassin

Courtesy Dirk West
Stranger
Stranger said:

Assassin said:

In the words of our greatest president, Abner McCall . . . "ever since the war, nothing but queers and perverts in the NoZe". We were in his office when he muttered that. Then we all laughed out loud. Highlight of my NoZe career.

We should all be so lucky to have that bunch of guys
(including Abner) at Baylor these days.

ttt
I'm a Bearbacker
Assassin

Santana Dotson from Houston Yates
Assassin

Waco Municipal Stadium, courtesy Baylor University Library
Assassin

Baylor mouse? Courtesy Ebay
Assassin
Assassin said:

Santana Dotson from Houston Yates
BTW - Santana was on possibly the greatest HS team to ever play in Texas, the 1985 Houston Yates team. And they were so good that the future Baylor All American and 10 year NFL vet couldnt break the starting lineup
BUBear1994DFW
Assassin said:

Botchey Koch was an all-state end for Temple in 1926, and four years later as a Baylor guard became the first consensus all-American in Southwest Conference history. Photo courtesy Baylor Hall of Fame.
I once read where Knute Rockne said Botchey was the best lineman he had ever seen. Anyone else heard this too?
Assassin
BUBear1994DFW said:

Assassin said:

Botchey Koch was an all-state end for Temple in 1926, and four years later as a Baylor guard became the first consensus all-American in Southwest Conference history. Photo courtesy Baylor Hall of Fame.
I once read where Knute Rockne said Botchey was the best lineman he had ever seen. Anyone else heard this too?
Wiki: Knute Rockne also wrote of Koch's outstanding play in a letter to Baylor University shortly before Rockne's death in a plane crash. Koch was chosen the outstanding defensive player in the East-West Shrine Game at San Francisco's Kezar Stadium. It was a game in which the West defeated the East, 3-0. The San Francisco Chronicle reported, "there were a lot of great linemen in that game . . . but Koch was easily the best. A steamroller could not get over him." In 1940, Harry Stuhldreher, quarterback of Notre Dame's Four Horsemen, and Rice named Koch to their All-Time All-American team for publication. "He was the best guard I ever saw," Stuhldreher said. "Rockne also told me he was far and away the best guard Knute ever saw. Koch was big, fast, smart and aggressive - a powerful lineman with a keen football brain. I haven't seen as good a guard since - either in college or pro."
Assassin

Baylor decal 1920s
Assassin

Bears 'Nip' and 'Tuck' with a couple of Bear students, 1950, courtesy Baylor. edu
Assassin

Baylor Bear Football, practice, c.1949, a Jimmy Willis photo, Courtesy Baylor. edu
Assassin

Baylor's new uniforms for 2023
Bexar Pitts
Assassin said:

Baylor Bear Football, practice, c.1949, a Jimmy Willis photo, Courtesy Baylor. edu
Big number 81 is my dear friend and neighbor, the late Baylor All American end Stan Williams..One of the finest athletes and also one of the finest human beings that you could ever hope to meet. I miss him. I'm sure many others do also. I believe QB in '49 was Adrian Burke..number 33..Larry Isbell was starting QB '50 and '51..Many still say Isbell was the best QB/ ball handler they've ever seen.
MrGolfguy
Bexar Pitts said:

Assassin said:

Big number 81 is my dear friend and neighbor, the late Baylor All American end Stan Williams..One of the finest athletes and also one of the finest human beings that you could ever hope to meet. I miss him. I'm sure many others do also.
Is Larry Isbell also pictured?
Bexar Pitts
I think Larry was #14 , not in this photo..although he was on team in 49.
Assassin
Bexar Pitts said:

He was there 49, 50 and 51. I assume he got there in 48 but played on the freshman team
Assassin

Pat Neff Hall under construction 1939 courtesy Baylor. edu
Assassin

Courtesy, Ghosts of the Orange Bowl; January 1, 1952: Baylor quarterback Larry Isbell carries the ball during a 17-14 loss to Georgia Tech in the 1952 Orange Bowl. Baylor was not the first choice by the Orange Bowl Committee to be Georgia Tech's opponent. The University of San Francisco was originally invited as one of the participating teams. USF finished the season with a perfect 9-0 record. The 1951 San Francisco Dons featured three future hall of famers: defensive end Gino Marchetti , running back Ollie Matson and lineman Bob St. Clair. Matson was one of two African American players on the Dons' roster. But due to the strict segregation laws in Miami at the time, the Orange Bowl Committee asked San Francisco to leave both black players home for the game. San Francisco refused. An all-white Baylor team was instead invited to play in the game.
Assassin
Assassin said:

Courtesy, Ghosts of the Orange Bowl; January 1, 1952: Baylor quarterback Larry Isbell carries the ball during a 17-14 loss to Georgia Tech in the 1952 Orange Bowl. Baylor was not the first choice by the Orange Bowl Committee to be Georgia Tech's opponent. The University of San Francisco was originally invited as one of the participating teams. USF finished the season with a perfect 9-0 record. The 1951 San Francisco Dons featured three future hall of famers: defensive end Gino Marchetti , running back Ollie Matson and lineman Bob St. Clair. Matson was one of two African American players on the Dons' roster. But due to the strict segregation laws in Miami at the time, the Orange Bowl Committee asked San Francisco to leave both black players home for the game. San Francisco refused. An all-white Baylor team was instead invited to play in the game.
Just noticed Bob St. Clair was in those notes. When I first moved back from overseas in 1990, one of my roommates was his son, an excellent chef at a Dallas restaurant. One Saturday I am watching football and the NFL Hall of Fame induction was on. Bob St Clair was going in. Ran out to get his son, and he could care less. Guess football just isnt important to everyone!
Bexar Pitts
Assassin said:

Bexar Pitts said:

He was there 49, 50 and 51. I assume he got there in 48 but played on the freshman team
Correct..Larry played on Freshman team in '48
BUGWBBear
Assassin said:

Coach Bill Lane, courtesy David Scoggins

In Grant's 1974 Coach of the Year speech, I might be wrong, but I think he mentioned Bill Lane was with him on the fated hunting trip, where Grant drops an old mule (at the favor of the farmer who he talked to). Bill drops two of his cows because he'd bought Teaff's telling him the farmer was an Aggy supporter and to get off his land. I don't have the cassette anymore, but Bill's name sounded really familiar.
Desperado718
Grant, Bill, Wade, all those guys came from Angelo State, when I live, great group of coaches
BUGWBBear
Having heard variations on that hunting tale, I doubt it was true. But Grant had the ability to sell it to the audience and it was hilarious.
Assassin

1951 photo, courtesy EBay
Assassin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.