Ridgewood Membership?

9,840 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by beerman
insurancebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking into a full golf membership at Ridgewood Country Club. For any existing/past members, what are your thoughts on the state of the club? Is it worth the price you pay for golf/tennis/social benefits? Thoughts on the membership and culture?

I also am not sure when they are scheduled to finish the golf course renovation - would appreciate if anybody has insight on that as well.
baylrballa
Yes. For the golf alone it's worth it.

Been a weird year with the redo. Last I heard still planned to open again next month. Been a bit though.

The pool, tennis, food are all nice bonuses.

CTbruin
I've been a member for 40 years. Obviously really enjoying.

The golf course renovation looks great. Set to reopen on December I heard.

And the dining is very good. We really enjoy the Sunday brunch.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me.
Griz
I joined a couple of months ago. Looking forward to playing golf there soon.
william
us arbys guys gather at the putt putt in bell mead.

BYOB*.

- kkm

* just don't get caught!

D!

{ sipping cofffee }
POE.
Localbear
I may join in December also. I heard they will be raising dues in January. I wish they had a deal like my current club where if you pay for the entire year all at once they give you 20 guest passes for golf. I mentioned it to the membership lady and she said it was a good idea, but she doubted they would do something like that.

I also wish the workout area was larger.
insurancebear
Totally agree, the workout area is pretty dated. Do you have any idea what they are increasing the rates to or just rumors?
baylrballa
They go up every year.
Localbear
She told me, but I honestly can't remember since we toured in July. I wasn't interested in joining at the time since there was no course. She said it was larger than normal increases because the course was going to be new.

I would schedule a tour
BaylorGuy314
If they raise dues again in January, I'm going to seriously consider dropping my membership. That will be the third increase in two years IIRC. I like the club a lot but the value prop is hard unless you are an avid golfer, IMO.

Consider the breakeven-
I could eat at 135 Prime 5x a month and play a round a week at any other Waco course and still have spent less than the dues alone at RCC, not to mention the food cost.

Redoing the bar was an epic waste of funds IMO.

Again, it's a nice club and I've enjoyed it but you really have to play golf a lot to make it make sense.
TenBears
Bring back Fish Pond!
BlueRidgeBear
what is Resident initiation and monthly dues? Is there a waiting list?
CTbruin
I suggest you contact Ridgewood for this info.

Not public info.
sipembeers
insurancebear said:

Totally agree, the workout area is pretty dated. Do you have any idea what they are increasing the rates to or just rumors?

Going to a tough bill to swallow. Course has been closed for 11 months, already monthly assessment fee for the course Reno in my bill. Then raising the monthly dues on top of that will push to roughly 800.
toughbear
Lots of negatives but it's the only club in town and likely there will never be another.
auditbear
I don't know much about the state of the club but I know that you can hit a brace.
CTbruin
toughbear said:

Lots of negatives but it's the only club in town and likely there will never be another.

Negatives? What negatives?

I've been a member over 30 years. It's a nice country club.
RightRevBear
If someone wanted to pay my dues, I would join in a heartbeat.
william
CTbruin said:

toughbear said:

https://courses.swingbyswing.com/courses/United-States-of-America/Texas/Waco/Ridgewood-Country-Club/25401
POE.
insurancebear
william said:

CTbruin said:

toughbear said:

https://courses.swingbyswing.com/courses/United-States-of-America/Texas/Waco/Ridgewood-Country-Club/25401

Gym is a little outdated, but they are doing some great projects like restaurant and obviously the course renovation that are exciting to see. Are the locker rooms pretty nice?
BaylorGuy314
I actually think the gym is fine. I use it more than any other facility there. Personal opinion. There isn't a nicer facility in Waco for working out.

Showers are great. I can't speak for the women's situation obviously but the men's has 4 showers that are well kept. Toiletries, etc, are always well stocked.

Food is very "meh" in my opinion. It's certainly not bad but I would never go eat there because of the quality of the food. It's not horribly priced but almost everything on their menu can be had in Waco with better quality and better price elsewhere.

I never use the bar because when I want to have a nightcap, my go-to isn't Ridgewood. But that's an age thing, I guess. I'm 40. Most of my peers aren't members. So if I'm going to socialize, it's not at the RCC bar.

I like the marina access. I keep my boat at the house but the marina is a nice feature for those that are active on the water. I like having a dedicated ramp.

I don't use the tennis facilities. I should. But they are very nice and well managed.

The pool is above par but below most country club pools. I like the table/chair food & bar service. The playground is great addition. It's been there for 5+ years but was a great decision. Cleanliness is an issue later in the year which rests solely on the management of the lifeguards.

Incoming rant - Back when I was a lifeguard 25 years ago (at a country club, no less), we would arrive 3 hours prior to opening (get there at 8, open at 11) and spent a chunk of that time cleaning. Scrubbing walls of the pool. Scrubbing the pool bottom. Vacuuming. Skimming. And then, of course, spraying off the entire deck, checking water quality, cleaning filters, etc. It seems to me that the guards now get there an hour before, check the water quality, spot clean the pool area as needed, skim as needed, open umbrellas and move chairs, then work on the towels. I don't know what the guards make but assuming you have 85 open days between May-August and you want 3 guards there for an additional 2 hours per day pre-opening, that's about 500 additional manhours. At $15/hour, that's about $7500 per year and I think you'd end up with a much cleaner, well-maintained pool. Just saying.

The big benefit to RCC is the golf course, which was really nice before the renovation and will be even better after. If you are a golfer, I think RCC is worth the value. If you aren't, it's tough to justify.
MrGolfguy
So what exactly did they do to the course? Total rebuild of the same routing, change routing/make new holes, redo the greens, add some length? Only played it once in a junior tourney ages ago- all I remember is it was short even for back then (maybe 6200 yds).
baylrballa
MrGolfguy said:

So what exactly did they do to the course? Total rebuild of the same routing, change routing/make new holes, redo the greens, add some length? Only played it once in a junior tourney ages ago- all I remember is it was short even for back then (maybe 6200 yds).

Big thing was Redo all greens and tee boxes. No more bent grass greens. Minimal routing changes, the land isn't there. Still par 70. Some bunker adjustments. Drainage Improvements. Enlarge the range.
drahthaar
BaylorGuy314 said:

I actually think the gym is fine. I use it more than any other facility there. Personal opinion. There isn't a nicer facility in Waco for working out.

Showers are great. I can't speak for the women's situation obviously but the men's has 4 showers that are well kept. Toiletries, etc, are always well stocked.

Food is very "meh" in my opinion. It's certainly not bad but I would never go eat there because of the quality of the food. It's not horribly priced but almost everything on their menu can be had in Waco with better quality and better price elsewhere.

I never use the bar because when I want to have a nightcap, my go-to isn't Ridgewood. But that's an age thing, I guess. I'm 40. Most of my peers aren't members. So if I'm going to socialize, it's not at the RCC bar.

I like the marina access. I keep my boat at the house but the marina is a nice feature for those that are active on the water. I like having a dedicated ramp.

I don't use the tennis facilities. I should. But they are very nice and well managed.

The pool is above par but below most country club pools. I like the table/chair food & bar service. The playground is great addition. It's been there for 5+ years but was a great decision. Cleanliness is an issue later in the year which rests solely on the management of the lifeguards.

Incoming rant - Back when I was a lifeguard 25 years ago (at a country club, no less), we would arrive 3 hours prior to opening (get there at 8, open at 11) and spent a chunk of that time cleaning. Scrubbing walls of the pool. Scrubbing the pool bottom. Vacuuming. Skimming. And then, of course, spraying off the entire deck, checking water quality, cleaning filters, etc. It seems to me that the guards now get there an hour before, check the water quality, spot clean the pool area as needed, skim as needed, open umbrellas and move chairs, then work on the towels. I don't know what the guards make but assuming you have 85 open days between May-August and you want 3 guards there for an additional 2 hours per day pre-opening, that's about 500 additional manhours. At $15/hour, that's about $7500 per year and I think you'd end up with a much cleaner, well-maintained pool. Just saying.

The big benefit to RCC is the golf course, which was really nice before the renovation and will be even better after. If you are a golfer, I think RCC is worth the value. If you aren't, it's tough to justify.

Unless you are given a membership thru employment by Baylor.
insurancebear
drahthaar said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Hang on, what's the deal here? Do all Baylor Professors get RCC memberships?
UrsinusInfction
insurancebear said:

drahthaar said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

First I've heard of it. We certainly can't afford them on our own!
Robert Wilson
Good summary.

We were members for several years. I quit golfing and eventually dropped the membership. Just wasn't worth it without that. We have our own pool. Dining options in Waco have improved to the point that RCC dining isn't a real draw. Etc... But if you're a golfer, def the best play in town.
drahthaar
insurancebear said:

drahthaar said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Don't know about profs but am aware of a recent Ath Dept hire who was given a membership to RCC.
toughbear
there was a deal cut several years ago to facilitate the Baylor golf teams being able to play - I think Baylor owns about 15 memberships- which are distributed among various top people and certain coaches
Wacolegend
Pros:
Best golf in town. Initiation is very cheap compared to any compatible club in a large town. A course that quality in Houston/Dallas/Austin would be $50k+ imo.

Cons:
Locker room/19th hole has lost a ton. Not really a golf club atmosphere at this point. It's great that it's family friendly overall, but let the golfers have a post round spot that doesn't have people in coat and ties complaining that golfers are too loud in the 19th hole. It's a bar.
dave714
BaylorGuy314 said:

If they raise dues again in January, I'm going to seriously consider dropping my membership. That will be the third increase in two years IIRC. I like the club a lot but the value prop is hard unless you are an avid golfer, IMO.

Consider the breakeven-
I could eat at 135 Prime 5x a month and play a round a week at any other Waco course and still have spent less than the dues alone at RCC, not to mention the food cost.

Redoing the bar was an epic waste of funds IMO.

Again, it's a nice club and I've enjoyed it but you really have to play golf a lot to make it make sense.
It sounds like 6k a year minimum.
sipembeers
The 19th hole is a joke now. I can't take my son with me for a round and go in on a Sunday to watch football after the round. All because the ten guys who play daily and sit down there have 5 beers and cuss like they are 15 again don't want kids down there.
baylrballa
sipembeers said:

The 19th hole is a joke now. I can't take my son with me for a round and go in on a Sunday to watch football after the round. All because the ten guys who play daily and sit down there have 5 beers and cuss like they are 15 again don't want kids down there.
I'm with you. I can't see it lasting.
FirmBear24
Been a social member for two years (don't have enough time to get the value of a golf membership). My family has loved RCC. Lots of fun things for kids and family to enjoy throughout the year, especially during the summer. We have really enjoyed brunches on Sundays and special occasions like Mother's Day, Easter, etc. The spread is good and you don't have to worry about trying to fight the rest of the town for a table.

While the dinner isn't 135 Prime, it's good enough, plus my wife and I like how quiet it is. Again, no wait too.

I haven't spent much time at the bar, but I know they get some good bottles from time yo time and don't break you for a pour.

Wine dinners and steaks and stogies are also fun.

For us, it's been an easy way to see friends. With a 5 year and 2 year old, we don't get out a ton, so seeing friends out and making new ones is great.

Just my two cents.
beerman
sipembeers said:

If everyone supported the club like those "ten guys" then Rwcc would likely have multiple places for everyone to watch games, even with their kids. The fact is, every club loathes the 19th hole guys, I've seen it over and over, but they matter because they are typically the guys that spend the most.

Honestly, if you look at clubs all over the state/country you'd find they have "adult" only spaces, it's a private club after all that's funded by adults, not children.

I believe the upstairs "family friendly" area has TVs, it seems to be nice. Try that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.