Ridgewood Membership?

9,832 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by beerman
chorne68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wacolegend said:

Pros:
Best golf in town. Initiation is very cheap compared to any compatible club in a large town. A course that quality in Houston/Dallas/Austin would be $50k+ imo.

Cons:
Locker room/19th hole has lost a ton. Not really a golf club atmosphere at this point. It's great that it's family friendly overall, but let the golfers have a post round spot that doesn't have people in coat and ties complaining that golfers are too loud in the 19th hole. It's a bar.
I was there a couple of weeks ago and the golf course looked great. My roommate in the sixties was a Baylor golfer and they practiced and played there. They have good tennis facilities and a nice marina overlooking the lake. It seems like a bargain to me.
baylrballa
beerman said:

sipembeers said:

The 19th hole is a joke now. I can't take my son with me for a round and go in on a Sunday to watch football after the round. All because the ten guys who play daily and sit down there have 5 beers and cuss like they are 15 again don't want kids down there.

If everyone supported the club like those "ten guys" then Rwcc would likely have multiple places for everyone to watch games, even with their kids. The fact is, every club loathes the 19th hole guys, I've seen it over and over, but they matter because they are typically the guys that spend the most.

Honestly, if you look at clubs all over the state/country you'd find they have "adult" only spaces, it's a private club after all that's funded by adults, not children.

I believe the upstairs "family friendly" area has TVs, it seems to be nice. Try that.
we use the family dining upstairs pretty often with kids. It's a good change. It's not appropriate for watching a game or having a quick bite/beer after a round.

I actually agree the 19th hole had gotten too family oriented. They over corrected though. It'll find some middle ground again at some point.

There's weird dynamics at private clubs all over the country. Being the only show in town and trying to please everyone is impossible.
Wacolegend
Yea just to clarify, the family atmosphere is important overall. But every respectable private course does have a true post round spot where you aren't interrupting some seniors early dinner. That's the norm, Ridgewood is the exception. I guess the family course at ridglea doesn't have that, but the men's course is just a giant bar.

Pecos 45
Anyone remember the old Woodland West Country Club?
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
MrGolfguy
Yep, it's where I learned to play the game. Name changed to Western Oaks, then Heather Run, and finally Rolling Oaks before it shutdown in 2003 or so. Now there's a little neighborhood sprouting up where the clubhouse, driving range, and holes #1 and #9 were. The rest is just vacant land I guess.
Pecos 45
I never heard of a golf course/country club shutting down. Wow!
We used to go out there when I was at BU back in 70-74.
Sorry to hear that it went under.
My frat bro was the bartender there, and used to let us come in there and have cocktails as non-members.
Malcolm Forbes
MrGolfguy
Lots of golf courses shutting down across America. Just in the Waco/CenTex area I can count 6 (Western Oaks, Connally, GreenBriar, Leon Valley, Bogeys Par3, Seagos Par3)
Pecos 45
I thought there was an endless supply of old white guys who are retired and don't want to sit at home every day.
Malcolm Forbes
baylrballa
MrGolfguy said:

Lots of golf courses shutting down across America. Just in the Waco/CenTex area I can count 6 (Western Oaks, Connally, GreenBriar, Leon Valley, Bogeys Par3, Seagos Par3)

It's kinda sad. Waco area really needs one or two more courses.
Easy Money
I'm a member and agree. . so classless
Easy Money
Funded by adults with children or grandchildren..
Easy Money
Member at RCC also outlaw at alto New Mexico no comparison outlaw is by far more family oriented, organized events most every evening.. spending summers in New Mexico makes old age not so bad
beerman
Billy hoover said:

Funded by adults with children or grandchildren..

Not sure what your point is or what you are asking? If you're asking who spends the most at Ridgewood aside from dues, I'd definitively say it's adults with children.

That's nothing more than a statistical fact that likely holds true at most private clubs. I just happen to know it's a fact at Ridgewood.
beerman
Guessing it's a completely different platform at Outlaw? Community club that's designed to attract more retirees/seniors/non-golfers? Also guessing it's a second club for most of its members?

RWCC is no different than 100s of other clubs around the country in that golf is its primary focus. We just happen to have an unusually large number of other amenities for a small market.

I do wish Ridgewood had more weekly events but lots of effort over the years fell short on the members, probably because they were busy at home helping with homework and putting kids to bed.

insurancebear
beerman said:

Guessing it's a completely different platform at Outlaw? Community club that's designed to attract more retirees/seniors/non-golfers? Also guessing it's a second club for most of its members?

RWCC is no different than 100s of other clubs around the country in that golf is its primary focus. We just happen to have an unusually large number of other amenities for a small market.

I do wish Ridgewood had more weekly events but lots of effort over the years fell short on the members, probably because they were busy at home helping with homework and putting kids to bed.

True. I think that Waco also has a very different pace of life and culture than a major city like Austin or Dallas. Less night life/going out/keeping up with the joneses culture and more family oriented/in bed at a reasonable hour culture.

I bet that has a major effect on weeknight/evening events and the amount of people that show up.
gravedigger
I am new to this...however, I question where you get your "statistical facts". The top spenders at Ridgewood might be Adults with Children...but they are Adult Children and those Adult Children do not use the club. You would think, that would change when pool season hits. But no, the top spenders at the pool are Adults, with grown children that do not live here and/or are told to use club without parents.
possible12
Dang, I'm old. I was a lifeguard at RCC over 50 years ago. Daily burger, fries, DP part of the deal. Good times.
beerman
gravedigger said:

I am new to this...however, I question where you get your "statistical facts". The top spenders at Ridgewood might be Adults with Children...but they are Adult Children and those Adult Children do not use the club. You would think, that would change when pool season hits. But no, the top spenders at the pool are Adults, with grown children that do not live here and/or are told to use club without parents.

I'm not exactly clear what you are saying…..the point I was trying to make is that "adults" (who may HAVE children) are the top spenders, NOT children. Thus, some of those adults want a space in the club where they can have a drink/meal without kids present.

Where I got the "stats" was by looking at a comprehensive list of top spenders at one club, ranked 1 to 1010, for a 12 month period. I think what I was saying there was in response to a question that was asked about adults with grandchildren……certainly don't have any national data on that but it seems that it would be true at most every private club in America.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.