JK Rowling

8,809 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Oldbear83
BusyTarpDuster2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ursamajor said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

ursamajor said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

ursamajor said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

ursamajor said:

As Osodecentx says, a liberal arts education alone justifies engaging with any piece of literature. I don't understand the idea of mocking a class you haven't taken.

And what of the fact that JK Rowling is one of the wealthiest people in Britain? Would you mock a class studying Sam Walton's entrepreneurial techniques or Warren Buffet's investment strategies or Steve Jobs' marketing?

Then how about secondary education majors? Should they not have the opportunity to study critically the most significant piece of youth literature in half a century before going to teach 12-18 year olds?

That doesn't even take into consideration that HP has many explicit Christian themes. It even culminates in a death/resurrection/sacrifice scene set at King's Cross. Not overly subtle.

Then what about the idea Garrett specifically addresses on twitter?: the ethical quandaries involved in the separation of the product from the producer, especially in a politically charged environment.

Lots of educational fodder there. Certainly not an embarrassment.

The salient difference is that it would be highly doubtful that books about Sam Walton's entrepreneurial techniques, Warren Buffet's investment strategies, or Steve Jobs' marketing would be read by 5th graders.

I don't think I can name a single college course where the entire course text(s) had already been read by the students back when they were in elementary school.
I'm not really sure that makes a difference. I'd read much of the Bible and certainly knew most of the stories by the time I was in 5th grade. I also think many 5th graders could grasp the basics of marketing and investing if they had any interest in them.

But that's also not really my point. There are many ways to view literature. I was simply naming some of those ways: as a good used for profit, as a tool for studying the sociology of teenagers, as a quasi-Christian narrative, as a focal point in the question of how to separate the art from the artist. Those are all real and relevant parts of life.

No one's suggesting majoring in Harry Potter, but one (optional) course? Why not?
The comparison with the Bible is patently absurd. There's quite a bit of a difference between:

• an anthology of books written by about 40 divinely inspired authors over a 1,500 year period that details Hebrew history and the history of the Jewish religion as well as the rise of early Christianity, and which contains densely rich and beautifully poetic and symbolic language that is didactic, philosophical, and prophetic in nature, and which has been exquisitely preserved for millennia through countless number of copies and language translations, and which has been the sole source of inspiration and authority for at least three of the world's major religions, and over which entire conflicts and wars have been fought over throughout history, and about which entire schools, academic disciplines, and vocations have been built around, and for which countless martyrs have literally given their lives......
  • .....and a series of fictional books aimed at children, written by a modern day feminist for immense profit.

And let's be honest - you didn't read the bible by the 5th grade. Even if you did, I highly doubt you really understood what you were reading. The bible wasn't written for 5th graders. It's too difficult even for many educated adults to read and understand fully. I suppose if you happen to be the one in 10 million children who is precocious enough to engage in readings of the bible or entrepreneurial, marketing, or financial strategies and truly understand them, still, this doesn't mean that a college course should be built around what is aimed at average, everyday children like the Harry Potter books.

Your points about how such literature can be utilized to derive college-level subject matter is valid, but it'd be better as part of a broader survey course involving a meta analysis of different literature instead of as a standalone focusing on one book. For example, "Children's Literature and the Sociology of Teenagers" or "Religious themes in Children/Adolescent Literature". Or, alternatively, a course on the author herself (Rowling), much like courses on Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. Except there, I'd argue that Rowling isn't anywhere near the status of those two so it'd be unjustifiable, but I guess that's a different argument.
I think you probably got my point about the Bible: just because you read something when you were younger doesn't mean you got everything you could out of it.

Your point seems to be that everything there is to get out of HP you could get out of it in 5th grade. Or that it is only for "average, everyday" fifth graders.

But that's clearly not true. It's not written at a fifth grade level, it spans several thousand pages with intricate plot and character development, and it touches thoughtfully on major literary themes. Why not couple that with all the topics I named in my last post in a single course (instead of splitting them up into topical courses)? Plus, in a TikTok world, throw in a week studying how this one book series did what no other series has done: it became a massive cultural phenomenon for young people, centered on reading. Heck, I feel like we're halfway there to a syllabus already.

Making Money with Literature
Rowling vs Lewis/Tolkein
A Cultural Phenomenon of Reading
Sociology of Teenagers in Literature
Christian Themes in HP
The Product vs the Producer of an Item or Artwork
Children's Literature vs Adult Literary Fiction: Where to Draw the Line?

What you're describing doesn't resemble a "Harry Potter course" so I'm not sure exactly what it is you're arguing.

And the point was not that 5th graders are the only target for Harry Potter, or that they are able to get everything out of it. But clearly the audience that is drawn to those books is virtually only adolescents and children. What do you expect from a story about 11 year olds at a magical witchcraft school?

What I'm describing is precisely a Harry Potter-style college course. The question is can you find educational value from HP worthy of college students. There are lots of ways to do that.

To your second point, clearly there are people older than adolescents who enjoy these books. Which is not to say that things targeted to adolescents cannot be worthy of study in their own right.

And we're talking about what, 20 of 14,000 undergraduates who are taking this course? There are very few topics that wouldn't be of interest and worthy of study for 20/14000.

At the end of the day I just don't understand the animosity towards this or any course.

Is anyone surprised that 20 students at a university would like HP? Is anyone surprised that a department would offer the occasional course designed to appeal to student interests? Did anyone on this board not take at least one class in college just because it seemed interesting or fun or less-intense?

If the objection is to costs of college, then I'm right there. But that's not the professors' fault. That's a systemic failure based on an impossible government program simultaneously being exploited by loan organizations.
Your "syllabus" items had hardly anything to do with Harry Potter, so I don't see how you can call it a "Harry Potter-style" course. Sure, you can extract college-level topics like you were doing from anything, even G.I. Joe or My Little Pony. But that doesn't mean they are worthy of college study, or that you should offer entire courses about them. Heck, there are even (disturbed) adult men who love My Little Pony - they're called "Bronies".

Look, a glorified book club like a Harry Potter class might be okay for community college. But for a college that wants to be elite? You say you don't see the problem - can you REALLY not see why people might not look too favorably on a college course dedicated entirely to a book geared towards children? Might you have some idea? I think you do, you're just playing the role of the defiant apologetic here.
LIB,MR BEARS
This is a new one for Rowling and HP.

I don't remember Harry struggling with the seasons.
Proud 1992 Alum
Read through the English department list of courses. The link was provided earlier. All are serious courses. Definitely not my thing. My studies were accounting/law. But having a 1 hour elective course on Harry Potter that will be replaced by some other popular topic next semester is not problematic. The prof's take on Rowling was unfair and going public with his views via Twitter is annoying. The argument that the HP course makes Baylor look unserious academically compared to elite colleges makes no sense. I guarantee you that the elite colleges have many more courses like the HP course than Baylor does.
90sBear
Proud 1992 Alum said:

Read through the English department list of courses. The link was provided earlier. All are serious courses. Definitely not my thing. My studies were accounting/law. But having a 1 hour elective course on Harry Potter that will be replaced by some other popular topic next semester is not problematic. The prof's take on Rowling was unfair and going public with his views via Twitter is annoying. The argument that the HP course makes Baylor look unserious academically compared to elite colleges makes no sense. I guarantee you that the elite colleges have many more courses like the HP course than Baylor does.
Agree with this.

I read and enjoyed the books. I'm sure a quality syllabus could be created on a variety of worthwhile topics, but I personally would not take the class.

The topic of getting value out of literature from authors who have different worldview opinions on things than the reader is a worthy one, especially in a literature course. But I completely disagree with how the professor went about it from starting at the default position that Rowling is transphobic to blasting it on Twitter.

Schools that have held a class on Harry Potter include:
Yale
Georgetown
Emory
Ohio State
Kansas State
Oregon State
Texas (within a course on fandom and American culture)

Harry Potter class isn't for you? Fine. Disagree with the professor on his tweet? I fully agree. Criticizing Baylor for offering the class at all? Seems much ado about nothing in my eyes.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Proud 1992 Alum said:

This is an oft repeated justification - "the other elite colleges are doing it". Yes, but that, as well as for other reasons, is exactly why those "elite" colleges have taken a reputational nose dive.
Redbrickbear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

This is an oft repeated justification - "the other elite colleges are doing it". Yes, but that, as well as for other reasons, is exactly why those "elite" colleges have taken a reputational nose dive.

Yea one of the worst parts about "rankings chasing" is that you just end up conforming yourself to become like those above you in the rankings.

You do what they do and hire who they would hire.

Professor Garrett with his "Harry Potter and the inquisition of the transphobic TERF" might be something that other highly ranked colleges would have on campus but I hoped Baylor was a little different
BusyTarpDuster2017
Redbrickbear said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

Yea one of the worst parts about "rankings chasing" is that you just end up conforming yourself to become like those above you in the rankings.

You do what they do and hire who they would hire.

Professor Garrett with his "Harry Potter and the inquisition of the transphobic TERF" might be something that other highly ranked colleges would have on campus but I hoped Baylor was a little different
The "it's just one course, not a full major" folks need to check the trajectory those "elite" colleges took when they arrived at offering "gender studies" degrees.
Forest Bueller_bf
boognish_bear said:

What a little virtue signaling wuss.

Saying a man is man or a woman is a woman, is not trans hate.
It is living in reality. HE is the hater, he hates people to be able to
excercise free speech and free thought.

Simply because this ass clown has fallen for the agenda, doesn't
mean everybody like a good little Nazi has to follow in lock step.

I award him this symbolic award in perpetuity.

I am not taking any issue with the Harry Potter class. It's just a literary class. Any class that would be a potential easy A would be high on my list.
Proud 1992 Alum
Interesting that Garrett can read minds and hearts. Saying that Rowling hates trans-people isn't supported by reality. She just doesn't buy in to the trans nonsense and refuses to be silenced by the virtue signaling crowd.
LIB,MR BEARS
Forest Bueller_bf said:

boognish_bear said:

What a little virtue signaling wuss.

Saying a man is man or a woman is a woman, is not trans hate.
It is living in reality. HE is the hater, he hates people to be able to
excercise free speech and free thought.

Simply because this ass clown has fallen for the agenda, doesn't
mean everybody like a good little Nazi has to follow in lock step.

I award him this symbolic award in perpetuity.

I am not taking any issue with the Harry Potter class. It's just a literary class. Any class that would be a potential easy A would be high on my list.
It's good to see the award was dusted off for a deserving recipient.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Proud 1992 Alum said:

Interesting that Garrett can read minds and hearts. Saying that Rowling hates trans-people isn't supported by reality. She just doesn't buy in to the trans nonsense and refuses to be silenced by the virtue signaling crowd.
I sympathize with trans people.
I hate the trans ideology.
I absolutely despise the trans movement.
LIB,MR BEARS
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

The tolerant people say you are not tolerant.
Shame on you.
Redbrickbear
Proud 1992 Alum said:

Not calling a transexual the gender they want you to call them is a microaggression and Baylor does not like that kind of thing...

[As a junior who loves Baylor University and counts it as one of my greatest blessings, I would like to share some candid thoughts regarding some of the recent decisions that its administration has made... Specifically, I would like to comment on the new diversity, equity and inclusion initiative.

But, the danger in the recent course forced upon students is the fact that Baylor attempts to blend the timeless truths of scripture with modern progressive doctrine a doctrine that, in many ways, completely opposes Christianity

Furthermore, as a student, I am forced to take the DEI course by the Baylor administration (yes, forced). We cannot register for classes until we take the course, and I feel incredibly patronized. Forcing students to take the course gives off the impression that Baylor believes we are all little children who must be chided for our backward views.

I noticed phrases in the online course like "microaggressions" a term adopted from the radical left in the United States that few would have taken seriously even five years ago.]

https://baylorlariat.com/2021/10/15/baylors-diversity-equity-inclusion-course-misses-key-marks/
Forest Bueller_bf
Redbrickbear said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

Not calling a transexual the gender they want you to call them is a microaggression and Baylor does not like that kind of thing...

[As a junior who loves Baylor University and counts it as one of my greatest blessings, I would like to share some candid thoughts regarding some of the recent decisions that its administration has made... Specifically, I would like to comment on the new diversity, equity and inclusion initiative.

But, the danger in the recent course forced upon students is the fact that Baylor attempts to blend the timeless truths of scripture with modern progressive doctrine a doctrine that, in many ways, completely opposes Christianity

Furthermore, as a student, I am forced to take the DEI course by the Baylor administration (yes, forced). We cannot register for classes until we take the course, and I feel incredibly patronized. Forcing students to take the course gives off the impression that Baylor believes we are all little children who must be chided for our backward views.

I noticed phrases in the online course like "microaggressions" a term adopted from the radical left in the United States that few would have taken seriously even five years ago.]

https://baylorlariat.com/2021/10/15/baylors-diversity-equity-inclusion-course-misses-key-marks/
What is intersting is if I can see someone is trying to look like a woman, and they are clearly a male, I won't call them any gender specific pronoun. I will say thank you, I appreciate it. How are you. If they have a name tag I will call them by the name on the tag. I won't say yes ma"am, or yes sir. Cause you just never know, I certainly won't give them any fodder for their podcast trying to shame others.
historian
Proud 1992 Alum said:

Rowling is the true hero in all of this: repeatedly standing for women who cannot stand up for themselves or who gave no impact when they do. She provides a megaphone for sanity in the face of all the international fascist trans insanity. She refuses to be bullied and has gone so far as to engage in some civil disobedience against an idiotic law that has no place in a society based upon individual liberty. She is willing to go to prison for what is real and has repeatedly called out the bullies & frauds. Hurray for JK Rowling!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
Baylor should never have a DEI course or anything relating to DEI. Not only should no student be forced to take such a course, it should not be offered as an elective.
Redbrickbear
historian said:

Baylor should never have a DEI course or anything relating to DEI. Not only should no student be forced to take such a course, it should not be offered as an elective.

It's pretty insulting
Ghostrider
90sBear said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

Agree with this.

I read and enjoyed the books. I'm sure a quality syllabus could be created on a variety of worthwhile topics, but I personally would not take the class.

The topic of getting value out of literature from authors who have different worldview opinions on things than the reader is a worthy one, especially in a literature course. But I completely disagree with how the professor went about it from starting at the default position that Rowling is transphobic to blasting it on Twitter.

Schools that have held a class on Harry Potter include:
Yale
Georgetown
Emory
Ohio State
Kansas State
Oregon State
Texas (within a course on fandom and American culture)

Harry Potter class isn't for you? Fine. Disagree with the professor on his tweet? I fully agree. Criticizing Baylor for offering the class at all? Seems much ado about nothing in my eyes.
and all these kids graduate and wonder why they can't pay back their school loans.
Harrison Bergeron
Okay. Can we close this thread.

Way too much Harry Pooter talk.

If Baylor wants to teach elementary school classes who cares ... enought.
historian
Yes it is
Osodecentx
historian said:

Yes it is

Can reasonable people respectfully disagree?
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

historian said:

Yes it is

In an internet forum?

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
beardoc
Harrison Bergeron said:

ANY Harry Pooter talk is too much.
historian
Osodecentx said:

historian said:

Yes it is

I would think that would be part of the definition of being a reasonable person.
4th and Inches
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

The tolerant people are not tolerant.
edited for clarity
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
4th and Inches
beardoc said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Hairy Pothead got the Sorcerer stoned- class starts at 4:20
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
historian
4th and Inches said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

The "tolerant" people are not tolerant.
edited for clarity

FIFY
LIB,MR BEARS
4th and Inches said:

beardoc said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Hairy Pothead got the Sorcerer stoned- class starts at 4:20

Dude, we'll played.
Oldbear83
beardoc said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

"Yer a wizzer, Harry"
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.