Bourbon of the month club

12,714 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by whiskeyclub
BuGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got this last year as a birthday gift- full 750ml bottle per month. Some great and rest good choices, very much recommend it

https://www.tastersclub.com
Beesville
What are some of the whiskeys/bourbons they have sent you?
BuGrad99
Filibuster was fantastic; definitely recommend it. I'll need to wait till I get home for a comprehensive list
bularry
last thing I need is 12 bottles of bourbon. geez
BuGrad99
Can get a six month subscription.... other bottles include Bain's Cape Whiskey, Corsair Ryemaggedon, and Knob Creek. Hands down, Filibuster was our favorite. Thinking of getting a 3 barrel aged bottle for my wife's birthday....
Funky Town Bear
I was ready to sign up until I saw the shipping charge. At $84 a bottle, I can make a pretty fun run through the Goody Goody close to my house. Love the idea, but that got to be to steep for me consider they had a picture of Bookers on the website and I can get that for a bit more than half of that $84.
bularry
My thought too. I'm sure some of their offerings are hard to find but here in Houston I can track down just about any bourbon made
Beesville
I like the idea of a random bottle, that I probably wouldn't buy off the shelf, showing up at my door. But like others I can't get over the price. If someone gave it to me as a gift, that would be a different story.
BUrbon
$84 per bottle, geez.
One can get good bourbon whiskey for $30-50 range.
I got a buddy that is a bourbon/Scotch guru.
Beesville
My daily drinker is Rowans Creek. It's amazing and if you buy a case Specs cash + case discount makes it 27/bottle. Sometimes hard to find.
bularry
My current favorite is pretty cheap. I'm a Larceny fan, and when I first started buying it the price was about $18. It has been pressing upward and the last bottle I bought was about $22.

I'm all ears for new suggestions.
CammoTX
bularry said:

My current favorite is pretty cheap. I'm a Larceny fan, and when I first started buying it the price was about $18. It has been pressing upward and the last bottle I bought was about $22.

Buffalo Trace.
bularry
CammoTX said:

bularry said:

Buffalo Trace.
I like Buffalo trace, very similar to the Larceny.
Funky Town Bear
bularry said:

I'm a fan of Templeton Rye and Basil Hayden. Either is going to be a bit more than your $22, but is a great whiskey. Generally have some in my cabinet at all times. Both are very drinkable alone or in a cocktail.
WILLIS
Dickel 12 won't disappoint
Hubbs
Willett
Calumet
Stranahan's
Four Rose Single Barrel
Angel's Envy
bularry
Good stuff.

I bought some Basil Haden several years ago and didn't care for it. Same for angels envy, although the rye is really interesting

I need some dickel 12. Maybe revisit the BH
IASIP Rocks
Has anyone ever tried Jim Beam?
deemus
I recently received a bottle of EH Taylor rye. Have not tried it yet. Is it any good?

Edit - Looked it up on the web, and there a ton Of good reviews. I drank some tonight and it's good stuff. My first time for rye. Lots of flavors going on there.

SoTexBear
Eagle Rare is awesome for the price.
bularry
IASIP Rocks said:

I'm a fan. My mixer
SoTexBear
IASIP Rocks said:

Jim Beam and Coke was my go-to as I wrapped up school at Baylor.
BUrbon
If anyone has a 'Total Wine' close to them, it's a must visit for bourbon/scotch.
A friend led me to it and it surprised me on selection and prices.
Their website is fantastic to find your sips, check price and see if it's rated.

Their power buying beats Twins and Specs, this is for Bourbon/scotch and wine.
Check it out it surely won't disappoint.

RW
deemus
BUrbon said:

If anyone has a 'Total Wine' close to them, it's a must visit for bourbon/scotch.
A friend led me to it and it surprised me on selection and prices.
Their website is fantastic to find your sips, check price and see if it's rated.

Their power buying beats Twins and Specs, this is for Bourbon/scotch and wine.
Check it out it surely won't disappoint.

RW
I've been going there for about a year now. The selection is surprising, and the prices are good too.
bearassnekkid
Angels Envy Rye
bularry
just made my first visit to a Total Wine. only had time for a lunch time wine aisle perusal (sp?). Wasn't impressed.

I'll go check out the scotch/bourbon soon.

bearassnekkid, that Angels Envy Rye is nice but last time I priced it I think it was $75. uh.... nope
CTCBear
bularry said:

just made my first visit to a Total Wine. only had time for a lunch time wine aisle perusal (sp?). Wasn't impressed.

bearassnekkid, that Angels Envy Rye is nice but last time I priced it I think it was $75. uh.... nope
Where is your favorite place to shop? I believe youve said you are on the West side of Houston. Im in Katy but make trips into town often.
bearassnekkid
bularry said:

Don't ever put a price tag on greatness, Larry.
bularry
CTCBear said:

bularry said:

Where is your favorite place to shop? I believe youve said you are on the West side of Houston. Im in Katy but make trips into town often.

For wine? I do buy some stuff at grocery store. Total had some Ridge '14s at good price so I may go back for that. I buy from a local shop some. I occasionally go to Houston Wine Merchant especially for old world advice. Buy some stuff from Specs and go occasionally to Party Pantry.
Hubbs
Just had a bottle of Defiant Single Malt from North Carolina. Very smooth, reminiscent of Balcones Single Malt. I recommend!
SoTexBear
Hubbs said:

Just had a bottle of Defiant Single Malt from North Carolina. Very smooth, reminiscent of Balcones Single Malt. I recommend!
Balcones Single Malt might just be my new favorite. So much better than the Firestone & Robertson TX Straight Bourbon.
WILLIS
Go check out the tasting room
J.R.
Was fortunate enough to get to try 3 versions of the Pappy Van Winkle this weekend. Had the 20, 23, and 25. Well, it was good, but didn't blow socks off. Anybody had any of this stuff? What am I missing?
SoTexBear
The more I have Eagle Rare, the more I like it. So good. Especially for the price.
bularry
J.R. said:

Was fortunate enough to get to try 3 versions of the Pappy Van Winkle this weekend. Had the 20, 23, and 25. Well, it was good, but didn't blow socks off. Anybody had any of this stuff? What am I missing?

Only personally owned a 10 year (called Old Van Winkle back then) and a 12. Thought both were outstanding
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.