Bourbon of the month club

12,909 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by whiskeyclub
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SoTexBear said:

The more I have Eagle Rare, the more I like it. So good. Especially for the price.

Yeah I have enjoyed this a lot the last couple of times I had it. I bought a bottle about 5 years ago and didn't enjoy it much then.
CTCBear
J.R. said:

Was fortunate enough to get to try 3 versions of the Pappy Van Winkle this weekend. Had the 20, 23, and 25. Well, it was good, but didn't blow socks off. Anybody had any of this stuff? What am I missing?
Everyone has their preference with Pappy and mine are the 10, 12 and rye.
J.R.
I think I just have an unsophisticated palate relative to brown water. I guess it's like anything else, you have to taste a lot to figure it out.
bularry
CTCBear said:

J.R. said:

Was fortunate enough to get to try 3 versions of the Pappy Van Winkle this weekend. Had the 20, 23, and 25. Well, it was good, but didn't blow socks off. Anybody had any of this stuff? What am I missing?
Everyone has their preference with Pappy and mine are the 10, 12 and rye.
the only time I bought a 10 year was before the Pappy craze and I was new to bourbon.

went to the Spec's near my house, they had the Rip Van Winkle or whatever it was called. it didn't say 10 year on it then, although it was in the small print. I think I paid $33. it was like 124 proof, but man was it good. I went back a couple of weeks later to buy another bottle and there was an empty space on the shelf, never again to be filled.
J.R.
Polished off a double bottle Eagle Rare last night with a bunch guys. Never had it before and it was tasty
Hubbs
Had Kelsey Creek Single Malt over the weekend and enjoyed it. Worth a try for you lushes.
tommy1005
SoTexBear said:

Hubbs said:

Just had a bottle of Defiant Single Malt from North Carolina. Very smooth, reminiscent of Balcones Single Malt. I recommend!
Balcones Single Malt might just be my new favorite. So much better than the Firestone & Robertson TX Straight Bourbon.

Only problem with Balcones Single Malt is finding it!!
Gunny Hartman
bearassnekkid said:

Angels Envy Rye

Best liquor in a bottle. I wonder where you heard about it.
Gunny Hartman
tommy1005 said:

SoTexBear said:

Hubbs said:

Just had a bottle of Defiant Single Malt from North Carolina. Very smooth, reminiscent of Balcones Single Malt. I recommend!
Balcones Single Malt might just be my new favorite. So much better than the Firestone & Robertson TX Straight Bourbon.

Only problem with Balcones Single Malt is finding it!!

2nd best liquor in a bottle.
Gunny Hartman
IASIP Rocks said:

Has anyone ever tried Jim Beam?

Drank it by the barrel in college. Doubt I could choke it down now. The expensive downside of developing a palate.
SoTexBear
Gunny Hartman said:

bearassnekkid said:

Angels Envy Rye

Tried their Bourbon, but haven't tried their rye. The bourbon was good, but not my favorite.
Gunny Hartman
SoTexBear said:

Gunny Hartman said:

bearassnekkid said:

Angels Envy Rye

Tried their Bourbon, but haven't tried their rye. The bourbon was good, but not my favorite.

Their bourbon is good to very good. Their rye is next level times eleventy billion and verrry difficult to find. Most liquor stores keep it behind the counter on the rare occasion they have any. Last I heard, they only release the rye twice a year, once each in spring and fall.

It's finished in Caribbean rum casks and the result is magical, a veritable party in your mouth. Drink it just like the good Lord made it, at room temp, at most putting a few drops of water in there to open it up a bit. Not too much--like drops from a medicine dropper sized drops. I suppose the faint at heart can add a single ice cube or a scotch ball and thereby commit minor sacrilege, but I don't personally recommend it.

For awhile now I've made it a personal policy not to tell random people about it so that there's less competition in finding it. But since I love all my fellow Bears so much, I'll make an exception here. Also, as more people find out about it the price of course continues to climb. When I first started buying it a couple of years ago it was around $65 a bottle; now it's around $100. And the cask strength at present is now going for $400.

You can thank me next time you see me. Preferably with a complimentary bottle.
CTCBear
If you are anywhere near Houston, you can almost always find the Angels Envy Rye at quite a few Specs and the Total Wine. I think I saw it for $89 last time I was there.
SoTexBear
Gunny Hartman said:

SoTexBear said:

Gunny Hartman said:

bearassnekkid said:

Angels Envy Rye

Their bourbon is good to very good. Their rye is next level times eleventy billion and verrry difficult to find. Most liquor stores keep it behind the counter on the rare occasion they have any. Last I heard, they only release the rye twice a year, once each in spring and fall.

It's finished in Caribbean rum casks and the result is magical, a veritable party in your mouth. Drink it just like the good Lord made it, at room temp, at most putting a few drops of water in there to open it up a bit. Not too much--like drops from a medicine dropper sized drops. I suppose the faint at heart can add a single ice cube or a scotch ball and thereby commit minor sacrilege, but I don't personally recommend it.

For awhile now I've made it a personal policy not to tell random people about it so that there's less competition in finding it. But since I love all my fellow Bears so much, I'll make an exception here. Also, as more people find out about it the price of course continues to climb. When I first started buying it a couple of years ago it was around $65 a bottle; now it's around $100. And the cask strength at present is now going for $400.

You can thank me next time you see me. Preferably with a complimentary bottle.
I've seen it at multiple places in SA including Costco Liquor.
WILLIS
Like both blends and single malts.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/09/don-t-be-a-single-malt-scotch-snob
Gunny Hartman
Apparently the neanderthals in Houston and San Antonio don't have any idea what's sitting on the shelf because in Dallas it's very difficult to find. Went to a Spec's the other day and the guy said it'd been a year since he'd had any to sell.
bularry
Gunny Hartman said:

Apparently the neanderthals in Houston and San Antonio don't have any idea what's sitting on the shelf because in Dallas it's very difficult to find. Went to a Spec's the other day and the guy said it'd been a year since he'd had any to sell.
or Dallas sucks. take your pick

It isn't always available, but I do see it at liquor stores in Houston usually. I just don't think it is worth $85 or whatever it costs now.
bularry
Gunny Hartman said:

IASIP Rocks said:

Drank it by the barrel in college. Doubt I could choke it down now. The expensive downside of developing a palate.
i still drink it, not bad over ice or mixed with a cola for summer refreshment.
deemus
bularry said:

Gunny Hartman said:

IASIP Rocks said:

i still drink it, not bad over ice or mixed with a cola for summer refreshment.
My go-to for bourbon and coke is Evan Williams. Around $20 for the big one, and once you dump coke in it, theres not a huge difference. That or Rebel Yell bourbon.
Hubbs
Get a bottle of Fighting Cock and mix it with Mountain Dew. Cock-a-Dews for the win!
El Oso
As a mixer: WT101, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace

Straight: Blanton's, 4 Roses, Michter's
bearassnekkid
Gunny Hartman said:

bearassnekkid said:

Angels Envy Rye

As I'm sure you recall, my first taste of Angel's Envy Rye was out of an Aquafina bottle that you smuggled into the monsoon game at TCU two years ago. We were standing there soaked and freezing and I saw you pull the bottle out and take a swig. When I asked you to pass it over, you were suddenly stingy AF and said you couldn't spare any. As this behavior is out of character for you, that's when I realized it must be some really damn good whiskey. When you finally gave in, I found out what I'd been missing my whole life. I believe El Mariachi and ManOfTheHour also got swings of it before passing it back to you, and I know MOTH has been drinking it ever since. I also introduced Malbear to it and he's a big fan. Once again, I thank you sir.
Gunny Hartman
bearassnekkid said:

Gunny Hartman said:

bearassnekkid said:

Angels Envy Rye

As I'm sure you recall, my first taste of Angel's Envy Rye was out of an Aquafina bottle that you smuggled into the monsoon game at TCU two years ago. We were standing there soaked and freezing and I saw you pull the bottle out and take a swig. When I asked you to pass it over, you were suddenly stingy AF and said you couldn't spare any. As this behavior is out of character for you, that's when I realized it must be some really damn good whiskey. When you finally gave in, I found out what I'd been missing my whole life. I believe El Mariachi and ManOfTheHour also got swings of it before passing it back to you, and I know MOTH has been drinking it ever since. I also introduced Malbear to it and he's a big fan. Once again, I thank you sir.

Anything for my nekkid brother. Wait that came out wrong
"Those who stay will be champions"

--William Barret Travis
90sBear
For mixing at home I like Four Roses yellow label. A solid bourbon for the price. Maker's will do in restaurants.

For sipping I like Four Roses single barrel and small batch. Blanton's is great.

Just tried some Jefferson's Reserve the other day and enjoyed it. On the sweeter side IMO. I will try to find a bottle to see how it holds up after multiple samples.

I have been looking for a bottle of Eagle Rare but can never seem to find one.

I enjoy bourbon but don't drink it that often so I probably don't hit up the liquor stores enough.
CorsicanaBear
For mixing at home I like Bulleit. Favorites include the Kentucky Mule. Bulleit and ginger beer over ice with a quarter of a lime. Great for pool time.

For sipping its Jefferson Reserve, Woodford Single Barrel, and Garrison Brothers.

If you haven't been to Hye, TX to see the Garrison Brothers distillery, its worth the trip.
Illigitimus non carborundum
90sBear
CorsicanaBear said:

For mixing at home I like Bulleit. Favorites include the Kentucky Mule. Bulleit and ginger beer over ice with a quarter of a lime. Great for pool time.

For sipping its Jefferson Reserve, Woodford Single Barrel, and Garrison Brothers.

If you haven't been to Hye, TX to see the Garrison Brothers distillery, its worth the trip.
I also enjoy bourbon and ginger beer w/lime. A "Kentucky Mule"

Also a big fan of Manhattan's
Funky Town Bear
Picked up a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean. Voyage 11. Wow, it's tasty!
tommy1005
Just picked up some new ones to try. 1792 Single Barrel, Black Saddle, and Widow Jane.

I've only cracked the 1792 so far, but with a couple cubes of ice it's pretty good.
SoTexBear
Just picked up some Jefferson's Reserve. Tasty.
wsteak48
Pappy is good. The 25 is super rare, good job on that one. Not worth the price or hype if you ask me. Weller 12 and Weller 107 Antique are same mash bill, same stills, same barrels, same warehouse, but a lot cheaper.
wsteak48
Jefferson's is awesome, The Ocean voyages all taste different, I have 7,8,9,11 and cask strength of 10
Dia del DougO
CammoTX said:

bularry said:

My current favorite is pretty cheap. I'm a Larceny fan, and when I first started buying it the price was about $18. It has been pressing upward and the last bottle I bought was about $22.

I'm all ears for new suggestions.
Buffalo Trace.
Find the manager of your favorite store and ask if he has any Eagle Rare stashed away somewhere. Some do and save it for their favorite customers. Same distiller, same recipe, just a few bucks more than BT but much more refined, a whole 'nother league.

Otherwise, Larceny is about the best bang for the buck.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
Woodford is a tried and true consistent standard for the moderate price range. Can't go wrong. Michter's is probably my fave in the $40ish range, maybe overall.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Beesville
I've been drinking Walking Stick lately. Another customer recommended it when he overheard me asking for Rowan's Creek and it did not disappoint.
SoTexBear
Dia del DougO said:

CammoTX said:

bularry said:

My current favorite is pretty cheap. I'm a Larceny fan, and when I first started buying it the price was about $18. It has been pressing upward and the last bottle I bought was about $22.

I'm all ears for new suggestions.
Buffalo Trace.
Find the manager of your favorite store and ask if he has any Eagle Rare stashed away somewhere. Some do and save it for their favorite customers. Same distiller, same recipe, just a few bucks more than BT but much more refined, a whole 'nother league.

Otherwise, Larceny is about the best bang for the buck.

I agree with you on THIS. ET is amazing for the price. I'd rather have A. H. Hirsch again, but not at $3,000/Bottle. Eagle Trace is my go to. It's especially nice with a dry aged bone in ribeye reverse seared off a pellet smoker! Medium rare, of course.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.