Football
Sponsored by

Quotes and updates from Spring football

11,837 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by boognish_bear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did I miss something? I could've sworn Matt Jones was a senior last year

DocCrowl
Absolutely wild what kind of jumps freshman can make when they actually have a proper diet and exercise plan in place! Reminds me of Jackie Marshall just packing on lean pounds as soon as he got here
DocCrowl
boognish_bear said:

Did I miss something? I could've sworn Matt Jones was a senior last year

Dang, we almost had #1 and #4 on the same roster...
drahthaar
WA Jim said:

Just wondering who the heck is going to play DT? Should we go with the 4 safeties look and bring em all down low? DL seems like a mess to me.
4-3 is one answer but Dave ain't going there. For starters, the backend can't handle the offenses' heat. Then again, we've got no credible/consistent JACK so there's that problem. New defensive guys are gonna have to solve some serious issues quickly.
ALLBEAR
drahthaar said:

WA Jim said:

Just wondering who the heck is going to play DT? Should we go with the 4 safeties look and bring em all down low? DL seems like a mess to me.
4-3 is one answer but Dave ain't going there. For starters, the backend can't handle the offenses' heat. Then again, we've got no credible/consistent JACK so there's that problem. New defensive guys are gonna have to solve some serious issues quickly.
...and we were supposed to have a "defensive" minded coach. With all the road games, this season could be UGLY.
DocCrowl
drahthaar said:

WA Jim said:

Patterson is known for a 4-2-5, to be fair...
boognish_bear
Say what now?

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
DocCrowl
boognish_bear said:

Only 1 on the top 5 list? Texas confirmed poverty program
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Daveisabovereproach
boognish_bear said:

This is what concerns me. We have had zero tenacity, edge, juice, whatever you want to call it the last two seasons. Clich as it sounds, linemen need to have a chip on their shoulder. I personally don't think the culture of Dave's program is conducive to that mentality
ImABearToo
Briles linemen had a major edge to them. Big, strong and would move the pile. Talk trash too. 2019 was similar as was 2021.
boognish_bear
Sicem Caden

bear2be2
Bobsyouruncle said:

We've already seen what this defense looks like with a 265 lb NT.

Unless Lolohea is going to play every snap this season (and play at a high level) we are toast.
I'm sure we'll try to get a post-spring transfer (or two).
boognish_bear
TeamPlayer
The most important task this spring football is for Mack to look for a new coach. I assume he's already been in touch with Jimmy Sexton Trace Armstrong and other agents that have an inventory of coaches. Donors will need to step up. Yet again.
BaylorLit 01
I've refrained from commenting bc I have nothing positive to say about our football program. I'm not even sure I'll watch every game this year.
ALLBEAR
TeamPlayer said:

The most important task this spring football is for Mack to look for a new coach. I assume he's already been in touch with Jimmy Sexton Trace Armstrong and other agents that have an inventory of coaches. Donors will need to step up. Yet again.
100%. Running it back with Aranda was a brain dead decision
boognish_bear
I am excited about what this guy can bring to the OL if healthy

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
drahthaar
DocCrowl said:

drahthaar said:

WA Jim said:

Patterson is known for a 4-2-5, to be fair...
A rose by any other name...
Still have the 4 DL (by whatever term) which is the key over the 3 using the NT D9 Cat.
BBWCBear
BaylorLit 01 said:

I've refrained from commenting bc I have nothing positive to say about our football program. I'm not even sure I'll watch every game this year.

Yep. There's no way to get excited about any "coach speak" or what statements players make. What would one expect. It doesn't really matter how they look against one another either. All that will matter is what the first couple of games show. If the first game, 6A HS opponent, is close that's all one needs to know.
Fre3dombear
Did Patterson share any insights?

He gotta he laughing his ass off he's drawing money from baylor.
ALLBEAR
boognish_bear said:

Why tf are we having so many injuries? Are we taking guys with known injuries?
ZachTay
boognish_bear said:

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing. I can hear coaches coaching from 20 yards away more than I can hear Aranda from 5 yards away. It's clear where the lack of fire on this team the past few seasons comes from.
ImABearToo
Nothing that motivates me.
boognish_bear
Time to put up or shut up

morethanhecouldbear
ImABearToo said:

Briles linemen had a major edge to them. Big, strong and would move the pile. Talk trash too. 2019 was similar as was 2021.

Our offense was less than great in both 2019 and 2021. Rhules offenses were anemic and poor Charlie was battered more than any QB in the league.

Grimes was able to accomplish what we did because of the novelty of his new system; our B12 opponents needed a couple of seasons to figure out how to bust it. That and we had a QB (Gerry) with some legs who could get away from pressure. We should never confuse the offenses from 2019 and 2021 with the best ones from Briles teams.

Side note - both Jason Smith and JD Walton were some tough dudes, both drafted in the NFL and neither were recruited by Briles. IIRC, Smith went top 4 and Walton was 3rd round.
TeamPlayer
ALLBEAR said:

TeamPlayer said:

I don't think anyone wanted to keep him. At least now Mack has 6 months to cultivate donors to help with the buyout. Plant the seed now in the event this thing gets ugly in September.

An off-the-wall name to keep in mind would be Tom Herman. If he can vault FAU to 7-8 wins this season, keep himself under control, show that he's matured and not act like a jackass, he could be a really good hire.
boognish_bear
TeamPlayer said:

ALLBEAR said:

TeamPlayer said:

I don't think anyone wanted to keep him. At least now Mack has 6 months to cultivate donors to help with the buyout. Plant the seed now in the event this thing gets ugly in September.

An off-the-wall name to keep in mind would be Tom Herman. If he can vault FAU to 7-8 wins this season, keep himself under control, show that he's matured and not act like a jackass, he could be a really good hire.

Herman had that weird dust up with the wheels off tOSU coach Zach Smith. Zach accused him of adultery.

For BU any hint of skeletons in the past might be too much.
guadalupeoso
TeamPlayer said:

ALLBEAR said:

TeamPlayer said:

Plus, Herman already has a relationship with Mack (not saying that that is a positive thing, it just makes it more likely he'll be considered) and is very familiar with the recruiting landscape in Texas. Most fans would hate this hire, but I would be ok with it. I think it would establish a high floor (6 wins) for this program. We desperately need some consistency. And while idk if Tom Herman would have us consistently competing for Big 12 championships, I do think he would have us consistently bowl eligible, which in my mind is the minimum for staying on as head coach at Baylor.
Daveisabovereproach
If/when Aranda does not work out, Mack is very likely on the chopping block as well. So any past relationships with coaching candidates won't matter. Herman reminds me too much of Dave IMO. We don't need another introverted brainiac. I think they were even roommates at one point. However, I do think the guy can recruit well and put a fun offense on the field that high school recruits will want to come play in. Traylor at UTSA is who we need to be after first and foremost

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.