Culture and Society 2024

18,433 Views | 285 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harrison Bergeron
Jack Bauer said:

Yes, how can we handle "misinformation" without the LA Times?

TRANSPHOBIA! THEY USED LATINO! THEY ARE LATINX. YOU STUPID MEXICANS NEED TO SUBMIT TO WHAT MAKES US KARENS FEEL OKAY.
nein51
Put a chart showing suicide rates and the introduction of the iPhone overlaid. Then add social media markers. If you have a child and you're allowing them on Instagram you're a fool. If you have a 14 yr old girl and you're letting her anywhere near social media you need your head examined.

Social media has destroyed a generation of youth. It makes people stupid. It sets them up with completely unrealistic expectations. It sucks massive amounts of time that could/should be spent socializing with friends, in the community, reading, etc.

Aside: watching us play UT in MBb they did a segment with a 5th year transfer senior. They asked him his favorite book. He said Slaughterhouse Five. He said he just got done reading it. Bilas asked him about the author and he couldn't name him. How?
Redbrickbear
Realitybites
Redbrickbear said:

Makes sense. Why would you marry some blue hair who would want to trans your son down the road and divorce you if you didn't agree to it?
Realitybites
Harrison Bergeron said:

Jacques Strap said:

^ this is actually what is fascism.

Yes. The "public - private partnerships" that democrats and the Nimrata wing of the GOP are so fond of.
Realitybites
Harrison Bergeron said:

Another grift.

Lisa Jacob says she has felt the impact of Christian nationalism since she was a young girl. When she was growing up in the D-FW area, neighbors would cross the street to avoid her family and strangers would say to "go back to where you came from."

"Shortly after 9/11, my family and I experienced a lot of harassment," said Jacob, whose parents immigrated to the U.S. from India. Her family is Christian, she said, but still felt the impact of Islamophobia.

Now, the 35-year-old former pastor is combatting Christian nationalism as the first North Texas field organizer and the first field organizer in the country for Christians Against Christian Nationalism, a group that fights a religious ideology seen by many as a growing threat in America.

Jacob, who began the role in November, describes Christian nationalism as "a convergence of religious and national identities in such a way that to be Christian is to engage politically in a very narrow way, and to be American is to uphold Christian values and Christian identity." That ideology results in anyone who either isn't or doesn't appear to be Christian being treated as "less-than" and un-American, she said.

One of my major concerns about the future of American society is that having abandoned the faith, that it will degenerate into the sort of ethnic tribalism that helped bring down Byzantium. It already seems to be heading down that road.
4th and Inches
Realitybites said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Another grift.

Lisa Jacob says she has felt the impact of Christian nationalism since she was a young girl. When she was growing up in the D-FW area, neighbors would cross the street to avoid her family and strangers would say to "go back to where you came from."

"Shortly after 9/11, my family and I experienced a lot of harassment," said Jacob, whose parents immigrated to the U.S. from India. Her family is Christian, she said, but still felt the impact of Islamophobia.

Now, the 35-year-old former pastor is combatting Christian nationalism as the first North Texas field organizer and the first field organizer in the country for Christians Against Christian Nationalism, a group that fights a religious ideology seen by many as a growing threat in America.

Jacob, who began the role in November, describes Christian nationalism as "a convergence of religious and national identities in such a way that to be Christian is to engage politically in a very narrow way, and to be American is to uphold Christian values and Christian identity." That ideology results in anyone who either isn't or doesn't appear to be Christian being treated as "less-than" and un-American, she said.

One of my major concerns about the future of American society is that having abandoned the faith, that it will degenerate into the sort of ethnic tribalism that helped bring down Byzantium. It already seems to be heading down that road.
we have been abandoning faith for a long time. God has been replaced by sports, money, govt, fame, sex, and other individualistic wants
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Jack Bauer
Doc Holliday
Jack Bauer said:

Their arrogance is going to be their downfall.

Attempting to gaslight and convince the public that things are good when they're not is only going to make people angry and destroy their trust.
Jack Bauer
Doc Holliday said:

Jack Bauer said:

Attempting to gaslight and convince the public that things are good when they're not is only going to make people angry and destroy their trust.
I remember when a late night comedian's job was to make fun of the current US President...period.
Doc Holliday
Jack Bauer said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jack Bauer said:

I remember when a late night comedian's job was to make fun of the current US President...period.

Yep. They're activists now and they're gaslighting.

He's surrounded by the wealthy, the managerial class and bureaucracy. He's a member of that group and it's the bubble he and his producers live in. They're not smart enough to understand the vast majority of the public is on the other side.
Harrison Bergeron
Jack Bauer said:

The reason comedy is rarely funny is because most comics used to be "anti-Establishment." Now they have become PR for the Establishment.
FormerFlash
Harrison Bergeron said:

Jack Bauer said:

The reason comedy is rarely funny is because most comics used to be "anti-Establishment." Now they have become PR for the Establishment.
That and it usually pushes boundaries of decency. We're all too afraid of offending someone to be funny anymore.
Sic Everyone.
Redbrickbear
Harrison Bergeron said:

Jack Bauer said:

Liberals have had to drop the "anti-establishment" act once they realized they are the Establishment.

Ask a liberal if we should trust the FBI or the CIA and realize how quickly they have internalized the idea that the regime in DC must be defended at all costs.

Jack Bauer
What??

Cobretti

Redbrickbear
Cobretti said:

If Zuckerberg was human that would have hurt his feelings....
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Cobretti
Cobretti
muddybrazos
Cobretti
Jacques Strap
Chicago Votes For Ceasefire In Gaza
Gaza Votes For Ceasefire In Chicago

Cobretti
Cobretti
Harrison Bergeron
Jacques Strap said:

Chicago Votes For Ceasefire In Gaza
Gaza Votes For Ceasefire In Chicago

Feel like Chicago might have more pressing needs than virtue signaling.
Jack Bauer
me: I'll just buy some regular kleenex for my face and nose.

Corporate America: The F you will!!!!!!

4th and Inches
Jack Bauer said:

more than one compaby makes facial tissues
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Harrison Bergeron
https://abc6onyourside.com/news/nation-world/tampon-dispenser-in-boys-school-bathroom-destroyed-by-connecticut-students-report-says-brookfield-high-school-marc-blanda-john-barile-menstrual-products-crisis-in-the-classroom

Tampon Revoot!
Cobretti
cowboycwr
Cobretti said:

Wow. That was bad. did they even finish the course? I am impressed with the arm strength and grip. That was a long time to just hang there...... hoping the laws of physics would just stop existing for a second because they were all women and making a massive virtual signal in the competition.....

Like for real did they never learn physics and the object at rest thing?????
cowboycwr
4th and Inches said:

Jack Bauer said:

more than one compaby makes facial tissues
and yet no one asks for those brands.... it is always either "got a tissue" or got a kleenex"
Jack Bauer
cowboycwr said:

Cobretti said:

Wow. That was bad. did they even finish the course? I am impressed with the arm strength and grip. That was a long time to just hang there...... hoping the laws of physics would just stop existing for a second because they were all women and making a massive virtual signal in the competition.....

Like for real did they never learn physics and the object at rest thing?????

Is it real or is it Reno 911?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.